Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
McDaniel says fractured wrist put him in no-win situation with NFL teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

May 1, 2011, 4:04 PM

Former Clemson safety DeAndre McDaniel knows the reason why he wasn’t picked in the NFL Draft and the slight will make him work that much harder to prove teams wrong. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok what is going on with our S&C

May 1, 2011, 4:09 PM

Its hard to justify the amount of players we have had injured over the last few years. I'm not throwing anybody under the bus, but it would be foolish to not look into it.

it is the milk. LaMaster Dairy center needs investigating***

May 1, 2011, 4:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do other teams have as many injuries?

May 1, 2011, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Ok what is going on with our S&C ]

Lately everyone is talking about our strength and conditioning staff and our medical staff as if they are terrible. Do we have anything to compare this to? Football is a violent sport. Other teams have game injuries and workout/practice injuries too. Any studies on this?

Re: do other teams have as many injuries?

May 1, 2011, 4:30 PM

I haven't looked into it very much, but something seems off.

CJ Spiller (toe)
Kyle Parker (ribs)
Ricky Sapp (knee)
DaQuan Bowers (knee)
Willie Korn (shoulder)
JK Jay (back)
Andre Ellington (toe)
Stanley Hunter
etc.

I understand football is a violent game and some of it is misfortune but at the same time I think it would be foolish to not look into it.

Re: Stanley Hunter

May 1, 2011, 4:40 PM

the others I understand, but I don't think you can pin epilepsy on S&C

Re: Stanley Hunter

May 1, 2011, 4:43 PM

I'm not as I said some of it is just misfortune its just concerning seeing that many injuries over the last few years especially those causing people to fall in the draft or out of football entirely.

Same goes for ....

May 2, 2011, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Stanley Hunter ]

Jay (wasn't the injury from high school?) & Parker (took a direct shot to the ribs).

Re: Same goes for ....

May 2, 2011, 8:56 PM

...while he was laying on the ground :(

Cullen Harper, Charlie Whitehurst, and James Davis all

May 1, 2011, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: do other teams have as many injuries? ]

played with nagging injuries as well, that while unpublicized and hushed up at the time, we know now affected their performance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

extremely surprised he didnt get drafted***

May 2, 2011, 11:52 AM

I don't know how Clemson compares nationally but some better

May 1, 2011, 4:30 PM [ in reply to do other teams have as many injuries? ]

It helps having a residency program in sports medicine at the school. I'm at medical school at Virginia Tech and they have one of the top sports medicine fellowships in the nation. That attracts the best sports med doctors and many are top notch. The director of sports med who treats many of the Va Tech football players is also the USA Olympic team doctor and writes many of the books on sports medicine. The medical school is osteopathic so many musculoskeletal procedures are done on the athletes that help prevent injuries. Still players get injured it happens everywhere, ie. Ryan William (even though he still went top of 2nd round)

I wish Clemson had a medical school.

May 1, 2011, 5:10 PM

If I were a billionaire, I'd try to make it happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, new one in Greenville should be

May 1, 2011, 5:52 PM

I think Clemson needs a Vet school the most. The university would also benefit from having a medical school as far as more donations and it would help with biotech research. The new medical school opening in Greenville that is a branch of USCs medical school should be affiliated with Clemson instead. I think the Clemson affiliation would lead to a wider acceptance in general academia and a more astute reputation for the medical school. I know this is all very off-topic from the DeAndre story but just replying to a comment. I hope DeAndre is making pro bowls in a few years, one of my favorite defenders to watch. Carolina Panthers could sure use him as the next Chris Harris for them.

did not know Greenville is opening a USC affiliated med

May 1, 2011, 6:36 PM

school. When is the opening/ start?

bahaha...you really want residents working on our guys?

May 2, 2011, 8:54 AM [ in reply to I don't know how Clemson compares nationally but some better ]

No you don't

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

I don't care what you eat or how much you lift weights,

May 1, 2011, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Ok what is going on with our S&C ]

stretch or workout, you stick your arm between to colliding helmets or land on your wrist wrong, you're going to break a bone. Why do people keep trying to relate this to S & C?? If it was pulled hamstrings, or muscle tears I can maybe see the question, but y'all are just digging. There's nothing wrong with our S & C program!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: I don't care what you eat or how much you lift weights,

May 1, 2011, 7:28 PM

S&C is part of injury prevention and recovery. We keep having players that are having injuries that they never fully recover from.

Anyway you can clump medical in there too as long as we look into why they are happening. Its hard to look at the situation and say we are preventing, treating, and recovering from injuries the best that we can.

Re: I don't care what you eat or how much you lift weights,

May 1, 2011, 7:32 PM

Also for S&C how do we get into a situation with players like Tajh Boyd and DaQuan Bowers playing overweight. Sure the players need to be accountable for themselves, but those people are payed to make sure our guys are ready to go. How do you even let Boyd get up to 230? It doesnt happen overnight.

Anyway the main point is what we are doing right now is fine, but is it the best we can do?

Re: Ok what is going on with our S&C

May 1, 2011, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Ok what is going on with our S&C ]

You're looking into the wrong game. These players that are getting injured in, are playing football....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every team had injuries......

May 1, 2011, 4:44 PM

just part of the game. As far as McDaniel, the inury is a good excuse I imagine. Strong Safeties seem to be a dime a dozen, and not very valued unless they are an exceptional talent. He hits hard, but I think they are more worried about the burners running past him.

Football is a violent game, but

May 1, 2011, 4:51 PM

its just not smart to ignore potential red flags. Bowers' injury is a bad one how are we just finding out about an injury that could pretty much force him out of football in 3-5 years.

I say we need to re-evaluate what we are doing and make sure that it is best we can do. If its just bad luck then fine, but if it is something else then changes need to be made.

Re: Every team had injuries......

May 1, 2011, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Every team had injuries...... ]

Just think how many injuries there were in that Auburn game.
Several players careers were affected by that one game and our whole season as well.

Re: Every team had injuries......

May 1, 2011, 5:41 PM

And that was only ONE game in the SEC.

FSU says hello...wait...they say "BOOM"***

May 1, 2011, 5:45 PM

i only recall one injury to us

May 1, 2011, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Every team had injuries...... ]

And that was KP. Meanwhile I think AU had a couple of guys carried off the field and one had a broken leg. And we're just an ACC team. Even on of my chicken buds said that was the most physical game he had seen in years, and that McDaniel was a hell of a hitter.

Re: i only recall one injury to us

May 2, 2011, 8:30 AM

And KP's injury came as the result of a flagrant foul that should have been called, and with decent ref's, it would have been. ACC refs are about as bad as it gets when it comes to Clemson sports.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes. you are correct***

May 2, 2011, 9:10 AM

It's not the amount of injuries that is so concerning

May 1, 2011, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Every team had injuries...... ]

Green Bay had like 15 players on the IR this past season..what is troubling is the number of Clemson players who have sustained injuries that are deemed to have serious and long-term effects on the health and production that their draft status has dropped tremendously.

I think it would be foolish not to examine the S&C program and see why we have so many players whose injuries have completely scared NFL teams. I remember hearing quotes from NFL scouts about how Clemson botched Sapp's knee injury and his draft stock plummeted.

Not sure it was wrist as much as 40-time & blown coverages

May 1, 2011, 11:19 PM

I stayed tuned to the draft because I was really hoping that DMac would get drafted-- especially after D-Mac returned for his senior year (which in hindsight was a mistake from an NFL-draft perspective). I was disappointed that DMac (and Herzlich) didn't get drafted. There were 14 other safeties drafted. I can't believe that there are 14 better safeties out there, but I guess the NFL is looking for faster free safeties?

Can't say I was as impressed as many of you were with McD...

May 2, 2011, 3:44 PM

While he did not mind hitting someone, he never impressed me as having the ability to make a "text book" tackle. He liked to hit up high and not really tackle.

As already mentioned, how many times did he get burned?

Maybe not textbook, but I don't recall him missing a tackle.

May 3, 2011, 2:32 AM

I do remember coming in like a freight train and making some punishing, balistic shoulder tackles, that weren't classic, textbook tackles. But what he lacked in textbook arm wrapping, he made up for with kinetic energy. And I don't remember him ever missing a tackle. Ever.

He did blow a few assignments, I believe... at least one that cost a TD (against Miami I think). But don't forget that in his junior season he finished second in the nation in interceptions. But very few teams were stupid enough to throw his way last season. So you should be impressed with DMac. And don't forget that he played most of his senior year with a freaking broken wrist!

There is a big elephant in this room about DeAndre.

May 3, 2011, 8:56 AM

I think he's a good kid, but has a past.

Re: McDaniel says fractured wrist put him in no-win situation with NFL teams

May 3, 2011, 10:00 AM

This is beyond explanation to me. A guy with 15 career interceptions that was a ball hawk his whole career doesn't get picked at all while a guy like Culliver, while a heck of an athlete, with little production goes in the third round. What a crock of S%*t! I think he will make a team and make all the rest of the teams pay.

Re: McDaniel says fractured wrist put him in no-win situation with NFL teams

May 3, 2011, 10:09 AM

And also I think some of these blown coverages were due to his aggressive play and falling for play action which might have had something to do with our poor linebacker play

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic