Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs UAB NCAA Tournament notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 4,108

Mar 14, 2011, 10:26 PM

Clemson will travel to Dayton, OH to take on UAB as part of the NCAA Tournament First Four games. The game will be played at 9:00 PM on Tuesday, March 15 and will be televised by TruTV. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs UAB NCAA Tournament notes

Mar 15, 2011, 11:03 AM

'Tiger seniors will compete in the 4th straight NCAA Tournament' - That is an ode to OP. I really think we will regret letting him take off so easily.

^^^ doesn't know anything about basketball

Mar 15, 2011, 11:07 AM

Have you even watched us play this year?

I might have missed one game early because of

Mar 15, 2011, 11:15 AM

no tv or internet access. OPIE has nothing on Brownell. Comparing them is not fair to OPIE. The game schemes are not comparable.

I don't remember Rick Barnes being this good but he might not have had the players we have now. I honestly don't remember.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I might have missed one game early because of

Mar 15, 2011, 2:15 PM

the buckner, boogie, big o team from 96-97 was much better than this team, but that was 3 years into Barnes' tenure here.

I do... And I don't watch with Orange-Colored Glasses

Mar 15, 2011, 11:41 AM [ in reply to ^^^ doesn't know anything about basketball ]

I watch and play a lot of hoops. It is concerning to me how quickly we have forgotten about how this program was able to develop over the last few years.

Making the tourney four years in a row (BTW currently the second longest streak in arguably the most difficult conference) is to be commended and should be respected. But this is as a result of Purnell's hard work not Brownell's.

My point all year has been that we are watching a solid team with a coach that hasn't gotten in the way, but this team would have been here regardless of who the coach was. I would pile on that we would have done even better with the previous administration because that's what it was built for. It is the best defensive team we have fielded in sometime, that dedication to defense was OP's precedent.

I understand moving on and creating a new foundation with this staff, I am just not yet convinced that this is the right direction.

Don't confuse winning today with creating a top tier program which I thought could've been said with a couple of more OP recruiting classes. Moreover, could have been said if he got the facilities that he asked for and rightfully deserved.

I think you might have OP glasses on...

Mar 15, 2011, 1:47 PM

While I appreciate what OP did while he was here, I know that what this team has done this year is because of the CURRENT coaching staff in spite of what OP left behind. We would not have made the tourney under OP this year. Sure he is a good coach and builds programs. But, this team this year is playing fundamental basketball and really only the later half of the season. They just were not coached on the fundamentals well until now. Again, nothing taken away from OP but he ran a system that caused problems for teams but nothing like the defense we run now.

If you think Brownell is successful because he hasn't "gotten in the way" you are mistaken. He has placed himself firmly between these players and some of the bad habits they had. He has injected a totally new offensive style which required almost half of the year to really learn. No, these players are here because of this coaching staff. If you don't know about the direction, you need to watch the tournament closely this year. You'll see that teams who play good defense and are good fundamentaly and run good motion offenses will be the ones that win most of the time. This is who we are becoming and if we get the players I think we will get, we will be in the tourney again next year even with losing Grant and Stitt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Ummmm....maybe I'm remembering wrong

Mar 15, 2011, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs UAB NCAA Tournament notes ]

but didn't OP kinda take off in the middle of the night? I'm no great fan of TDP, but even I can understand him not sleeping in the bushes outside his coaches houses in order to keep them in town.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Replies: 7
| visibility 4,108
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic