Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson takes Pagan off the board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Jan 27, 2011, 4:29 PM

National Signing Day is less than a week away, and Clemson’s class of 2011 prospects has changed yet again. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans***

Jan 27, 2011, 4:30 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever

Jan 27, 2011, 4:40 PM

Good luck Jeoffry. If you don't see that Clemson is the place to be, so be it. No sweat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they

Jan 27, 2011, 4:44 PM

want to come to Clemson. So, let's go ahead and withdraw the offers to Steward, Anthony, and Dukes for starters. If the only reason we withdrew from him is b/c he is still looking around, our staff needs some serious mental health help. Do you think Alabama or Texas or Florida yank offers to guys who want to continue to look at other schools after committing?

Re: well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they

Jan 27, 2011, 4:46 PM

They're not committed anywhere. And they haven't done anything to indicate the staff is wasting time talking to them still.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Fair enough... but I don't think you know you are "wasting

Jan 27, 2011, 5:06 PM

time talking to them" until you feel pretty sure they are signing with another school. Just that they were "looking around" doesn't do that for me. Maybe Dabo knows something we both don't. Just seems odd that kids would commit and then immediately rule us out. And I think we know for a fact that was NOT the case with Lane. I think this is a total losing strategy by our staff.

Didn't Brooks visit him today? Maybe that has a lot to do

Jan 27, 2011, 6:41 PM

with the announcement.

Re: Fair enough... but I don't think you know you are "wasting

Jan 27, 2011, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Fair enough... but I don't think you know you are "wasting ]

Glad you don't have a say so!!! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did a little research on Scout.com

Jan 27, 2011, 5:07 PM [ in reply to well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they ]

and found out schools like Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi State, UNC, OK State, South Carolina, Stanford, Texas Tech, USC, and West Va. all have commits that are wavering. The initial teams are still recruiting them. So, I guess it's okay for Dabo to recruit Ellerbe from UNC and ask him to visit, but it's not okay if Pagan takes other visits.

Re: Did a little research on Scout.com

Jan 27, 2011, 7:25 PM

Please add the link to where you know exactly what the deal was with Pagan and Lane. B/C your statement is toothless!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You want toothless. How about you never responding to the

Jan 27, 2011, 8:37 PM

T-mail I sent you... still waiting bud.

Jan 27, 2011, 5:22 PM [ in reply to well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they ]

We continue to waste time on Clowney and quit on a guy that still wants to have some fun and after committing to us. I think we are confused on who you give up on. A guy we absolutely have no hope of getting or two guys who have committed but still want to enjoy their moment. If I had 5 free weekend parties, you better believe I would take them and enjoy them whether I had made a decision or not. This doesn't make sense to me at all.

Jan 27, 2011, 5:43 PM [ in reply to well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they ]

do. do.

Jan 27, 2011, 6:50 PM [ in reply to well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they ]

I didn't read it that way..."Clemson coaches were no longer actively recruiting Pagan". It doesn't say they pulled his offer, at least not the way I read it. Sounds like they're not putting anymore time on his recruitment.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

centurytiger®

Jan 27, 2011, 7:03 PM [ in reply to well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they ]

That is stupid talk. You can't and shouldn't let kids control how you conduct bizzness at your University. And that is just what is happening with Lane and Pagan with their looking for other offers. College athletics is bigggg bizzness now and, if we or any other school waits around while these kids are PLAYING the recruiting GAME, it will hurt in the long run when you have no one to fill the spot they were going to fill but, changed their mind on signing day. A no star player is better than a 5 star player that screws you at the end....

100% agree***

Jan 27, 2011, 7:14 PM [ in reply to well, there are several guys on our board not sure if they ]

I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan.

Jan 27, 2011, 5:14 PM

Our staff spends countless hours researching potential recruits, traveling to watch them play, communicating with them, and ultimately gaining a verbal commitment. When a guy commits, and a gentleman's agreement is reached by both sides, it should be honored. When it is not, our coaches are well within their rights to withdraw the offer.

Lane seemed like a guy who promised us he wanted to be a Tiger. We backed off of other targets based on his verbal commitment, and he knew it. Then he decided to start looking around again, which is his right. That's fine, but he has to know that we might rescind our offer based on that and go after other targets who are more solid in their desire to be Clemson Tigers.

The same thing obviously happened with Pagan. Again, I love the way our staff handled it. I don't care how good these guys are. This late in the game, after these recruits have had plenty of time to take visits and make decisions, they should be held accountable when they tell our staff (and the media) that they have decided to be Tigers. If they waver and make a mockery of our staff's promise to sign them, then they should be removed from our board.

Great job, Dabo, in showing everyone that Clemson doesn't have to settle for prospects who aren't 100% committed to playing for Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan ...

Jan 27, 2011, 5:21 PM

you mean in a sane, logical and sober manner versus wanting some guy just because 'scout.com' has him rated high?
I agree.
Has anyone ever looked into why virtually all the 'highly rated' recruits are from this region? DO they really not play football in Texas or California or New Jersey? OR all the recruiting boards and websites just so narrowly focused they can't see high school football played anywhere but the southeast? Makes me wonder how Stanford, Oregon and all those schools compete without the "#1 Running Back Who Carries the Ball with His Left Hand"

Re: I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan.

Jan 27, 2011, 5:44 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

amen and amen and amen

Jan 27, 2011, 5:59 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

sure agree!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I trust Dabo over you when it comes to recruiting, better

Jan 27, 2011, 6:06 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

get rid of him now and go after someone else than have him pull a Mike Mcintosh on us... I bet you don't know as much as you think you do....

Um, please reread my post. I agree with Dabo 100% on this.***

Jan 27, 2011, 6:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

My mistake, I thought it was sarcasm, well done sir.

Jan 27, 2011, 6:35 PM

nm

Yet another reason for an early signing period.***

Jan 27, 2011, 6:20 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 27, 2011, 6:49 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

Right on there Judge. You nailed it.

Jan 27, 2011, 6:57 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

Well stated and exactly to the point. Nothing further need be said. Great post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100%.***

Jan 27, 2011, 7:21 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

So as someone above mentioned...

Jan 27, 2011, 7:45 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

It's ok to continue to recruit guys that have made the same "gentleman's agreement" with other schools, in essence trying to convince them to dishonor that commitment. but if anyone acts like that may happen to Clemson, he's no longer good enough for the Tigers.

Seems like a strange double-standard to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: So as someone above mentioned...

Jan 27, 2011, 8:27 PM

How about this for a double standard. On signing day, Clemson has all recruits scholarships on a table. we walk around a few times and then pick up 25 and leave the rest on the table.

Jan 27, 2011, 8:02 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

Sir, I commend your post and your thinking. If, at this point in the recruiting game, we cannot depend on the loyalty of those committments into whom our coaching staff have put so much time and effort, then screw 'em. Clemson University will grow a program with young men who want to be a part of this wonderful place.

I know this is a rather starck analogy, but it is far better to go into battle with men at your side that you can trust with your life, and whose lives you are willing to sacrifice your own to save. In Viet Nam, towards the end, it was often a little "iffy" when American marines had to depend on South Vietnamese troups who really did not want to be there with them. There were other options open for them...not for our guys. So, we'll see great days ahead when everyone of our tigers lines up next to someone they can depend on and trust because they want to be Clemson tigers! Just wait until you see the toughness that lies ahead.

Kid is a freak athletically... a FREAK. But for his knee

Jan 27, 2011, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

injury would have been 5 star. I'm not on board with our staff's decision. You don't do that with that kind of talent. Period.

You don't do "what" ??

Jan 28, 2011, 7:57 AM

Make a preemptive strike to head off a kid who you know is about to dump you?

1. Pagan verbally committed to Clemson. done deal with a couple of weeks to go before signing day. He's a Tiger.

2. Pagan announces he is not going to talk recruiting amnymore until signing day. He's still a Tiger, but is taking further visits at the 11th hour.

3. Clemson rescinds his scholarship offer.

4. Suddenly Pagan is in the news again talking about his recruiting again and acting like it was his decision.

IMHO, it seems perfectly clear that Pagan was going to jilt Clemson on signing day and Clemson decided that they'd rather just go ahead and cut ties now.

Well, if they were 100% sure he was going to do that, then

Jan 28, 2011, 2:44 PM

by all means. If anything less than that, pulling the schollie was a RIDICULOUS move. By 100%, I mean him basically telling our staff "don't wait up."

In your heart of hearts, what do you think he was gonna do?

Jan 28, 2011, 3:51 PM

I believe Pagan was a goner and it became obvious to Dabo.

I feel pretty sure that Dabo doesn't have a death wish and that he is not going to sabotage himself and Clemson by arbitrarily punishing guys who are truely still "on the fence" ...

Dabo needs guys with Pagan's skill to ensure his career as a head coach. If there was a reasonable chance that Pagan was still on board with Clemson and was not using us, then I agree with you ... hold his hand until signinig day. You got nothing to lose but a little bit of dignity and self-respect.

But, our coaches and our university don't need to let fickle recruits screw around with Clemson when it becomes pretty certain what their true intentions are.

They need to be shown the door.

Re: In your heart of hearts, what do you think he was gonna do?

Jan 28, 2011, 4:13 PM

Amen

Jan 27, 2011, 10:43 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

nm

James Davis and CJ Spiller both demonstrated

Jan 28, 2011, 5:03 PM [ in reply to I love the way we've handled Lane and now Pagan. ]

that they were not 100% committed to Clemson early in their career. They demonstrated it with their feet - Davis left and Spiller went home not planning to return.

These are very young men in a very high pressure situation. It is also completely about what is ultimately money for them - - it is about their career.

So do yourself a favor and drop the idea about 'love' for Clemson. It doesn't matter a whit if they love Clemson or not. The rest of us can sing the alma mater, these guys are here to play football.

If we are going to limit ourselves to things the way you want them - we should stick with Dabo and his losing record because that's our future.

saw this on TCI

Jan 27, 2011, 5:17 PM

not sure why we would do this.

Re: saw this on TCI

Jan 27, 2011, 5:26 PM

probably because he wasn't going to come here. He kind of reminds me of the former WR from Florida named John Capel. He comitted to 3 or 4 schools.

Re: saw this on TCI

Jan 27, 2011, 5:27 PM [ in reply to saw this on TCI ]

I have to agree with the judge on this one...and I have an idea this saga is not over. He locks in a scholarship with us and then shops himself...I understand wanting to look at other places and understand reservations, but do not understand why he committed...maybe we high pressured him a little too much I dont know but I think this one will be reconciled in a few days.

f-in saban***

Jan 27, 2011, 7:08 PM

Later dude!***

Jan 27, 2011, 7:10 PM

That headline is comical

Jan 27, 2011, 8:13 PM

LOL!

No, anyone who cheers for ##### is comical

Jan 27, 2011, 9:23 PM

Or likes #####.

Re: Clemson takes Pagan off the board

Jan 27, 2011, 8:59 PM

I REMEMBER WHAT COACH RED PARKER SAID ,FOR YOU YOUNG CRITICS I WOULD RATHER THEY QUIT NOW THAN ON GA.4 TD. LINE

Jan 27, 2011, 9:02 PM

I REMEMBER WHAT COACH RED PARKER SAID ,FOR YOU YOUNG CRITICS I WOULD RATHER THEY QUIT NOW THAN ON GA.4 YD. LINE

Jan 27, 2011, 9:22 PM

100% with the Clemson Coaching Staff
GOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2011, 9:25 PM

Pretty easy to tell. You will be able to see where his heart is by looking in his driveway at the school where he ends up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2011, 10:51 PM

I have a friend who played for the Gamecocks during the Sparky Woods tenure. (I have no reason to make this up)My friend says after signing to go to USC his father, whom he did not live with, calls and tells my friend to come to his house and get the car that was left in the driveway. (For the player not the Dad ... not like Newton/Bush) He says he never asked for anything, just had someone drop off a car for him. To this day, he has no idea who gave it to him. We're fooling ourselves to think this doesn't go on at all the big time schools.

Jan 28, 2011, 5:47 PM

I'm not fooled. I have seen it before at ugay, and I am certain it is happening again there and at many of the sec schools. Not really any different than staying at a hotel for months on end without paying. The difference between petty larceny and grand larceny is 1 penny. Like being a little bit pregnant.

Jan 28, 2011, 6:35 AM

We adults (using the term loosely) need to remember that these are children who are making these commitments.Many come from deprived backgrounds and for the first time in their lives people are making them feel important and valuable rather than treating them like yesterday's garbage.Let them enjoy the attention until signing day and for a moment in time feel like they have value.Those who sign at Clemson will help us,but remember football requires 11 players on the field and one (or two) will not win all of the games for you. Remember we didn't go 14-0 even when we had Spiller,Ford and Palmer.Don't forget at Offensive Line!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't need Pagan's, just Christians :)

Jan 28, 2011, 12:16 PM

I realize that's not politically correct. But in my opinion, still funny.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic