Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson coaching search update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Jan 7, 2011, 10:18 PM

It’s been a crazy week – filled with rumor and fact – as Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney chases down replacements for the three coaches who have left the program. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's clear as mud***

Jan 7, 2011, 10:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's clear as mud***

Jan 8, 2011, 1:49 PM

He is crazy if he does not hire the Fridge.

I wonder...

Jan 7, 2011, 10:32 PM

Is it that Dabo is only interested in Morris? Or is it that no one else in interested in working for a coach that doesn't know what he's doing, but still meddles in the play calling?

Re: I wonder...

Jan 8, 2011, 12:13 AM

Man why are people so consumed with Dabo and the play calling. Ithink Dabo knows and understands that he wouldn't get away with that with nobody but Billy Napeir. I think y'all are still saying that just to have something negative to say about Dabo. I'm not at all pleased with the debacle Dabo lead us to this past season. We all have already beat that horse to death. Killing it over, over, and over again isn't going to change a thing, nor make it better. The continuous negativity does Clemson and our FB program way more harm that it could ever change anything about the past season. It is a lot easier to say nothing, than it is to keep saying things that hurt our university.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2011, 12:14 AM

Demanding change doesn't hurt the Program. Can only make it better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2011, 12:18 AM

You are damning Dabo, not change. And if it is change you are demanding, negativity is usually met with more negativity!!!

Jan 8, 2011, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I wonder... ]

You say that change can only make the program better. All you have to do is look at the current presidential administration to see that just because things are not great at the moment, change does not automatically make things better. A change at the top can bring about 3 possible outcomes.
1. It can make things better (as you have already stated).
2. It can make things worse (ie. current economic situation).
3. It could make no real difference at all (ie. every coaching change the USuC coots have made over the last 20 years.)

The best change that could happen is for the Dabo haters to shut up!!! Coaching/Play calling was not the problem this year. The problem was the players. We had no effective running game after Ellington went out; we had receivers who either could not catch or could not seperate from their defenders; and we also had a quarterback who after taking a shot vs Auburn, looked scared to death that another shot would ruin his baseball career. The problem was not coaching, the problem is that there were no replacements for the losses from 2009.

I have and will continue to support Dabo 100% just as I did Tommy Bowden for 1 reason - he is our coach.

I think the majority of Clemson fans feel this way. But the few nay sayers that are soooo verbose on this site have stirred up a lot of unrest in a program that is trying to reload after losing a ton of talent. look at the drop off that both Texas and Florida had after losing their big playmakers. Their problem was not coaching either, they were simply missing their playmakers.

If coaching /play-calling wasn't the problem why fire Napier

Jan 9, 2011, 2:23 AM

It's ridiculous to say that Clemson suffered 7 losses due to player-talent. Including the UNC suspensions, Clemson had more player-talent on the field than every opponent other than Miami and Auburn. FSU was about equivalent. FSU was about equivalent. Yet Clemson had SEVEN losses. That's bad coaching.

For proof that Clemson had more player-talent on the field go to ShakingTheSouthland.com and look and scroll down to see their weekly player-talent comparisons, based on the rankings from Rivals & Scout.

If coaching & play-calling wasn't the problem, please explain why Dabo fired Napier. And please explain why Clemson got beat by 4 teams with inferior player-talent.

Most people commenting here have no clue!

Jan 8, 2011, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I wonder... ]

I agree most of the posts are just worthless garbage that is more harmful to Clemson than helpful. These people have no clue what Dabo is really doing. With the coaches convention coming up, Dabo could have plans to interview Ralph F. and or others without encountering the adverse speculation (for the candidate and for Clemson)that comes with a formal visit early in the process. The people openly visiting Clemson may be more interested in getting raises where they are and/or they may legitimately want to survey the turf. Ralph doesn't need to come and look at Clemson. He's been to Clemson many times. I don't know if Dabo is considering RF but I agree that he should. Ralph may be more expensive that Clemson is willing to pay. We have no way to know the real situation there. Ralph also may be playing both sides against the middle....he may be trying to keep his name in the hopper for vacant head coaching spots before he commits to an OC position. Stop the negativism and let the process play out. At least half of the malcontents who frequent this board will voice their venom regardless of who is hired!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson coaching search update

Jan 7, 2011, 10:37 PM

Looks like We need to have Sam Wyche as a backup & tell him not to give up his job on the Pickens County Council.

I want something good to happen, but if he

Jan 7, 2011, 10:42 PM

hires Chad Morris (his first and ONLY interview) we're truly screwed!!

Why in #### would he not interview RF for the job?!? This shows REAL lack of smarts on Dabo's part!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: I want something good to happen, but if he

Jan 7, 2011, 11:10 PM

I know RF is/was a good head coach, but was he really that good of an OC? Or recruiter for that matter? If you go back to his OC days, he wasn't all that great. Maybe better than what we had this year but not great enough to get us where we really want to be. Plus the main reason RF wants to come here is just to get back at Maryland. And that's also not a good foot to start out on, and he probably wouldn't be here for a year or so.

Jan 7, 2011, 11:53 PM

Did you really just say that RF wasn't a good OC?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2011, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I want something good to happen, but if he ]

from wiki:

Friedgen returned to the University of Maryland in 1982 to serve as offensive coordinator under head coach Bobby Ross, who was his mentor during his stop at The Citadel. During this time period, he had a hand in the development of quarterbacks Stan Gelbaugh and Frank Reich, and most notably Boomer Esiason. It was also during this time that the University of Maryland football program was a perennial top-20 team, winning three consecutive Atlantic Coast Conference championships from 1983 to 1985 and appearing in prominent bowl games. Following a sub-par 1986 season, and amidst an athletic department quagmire due in large part to the Len Bias incident, Friedgen followed Ross to Georgia Tech, a stint lasting four years. In 1990, Georgia Tech went from being unranked in the preseason to achieving an 11-0-1 record and a share of the national championship with Colorado. In 1992, Friedgen followed Ross once again, this time to the NFL's San Diego Chargers, where he orchestrated an offense that led the franchise to an appearance in Super Bowl XXIX.[5] In 1997, Friedgen returned to Georgia Tech, where, as offensive coordinator, he developed the balanced offensive attack (200 yards on the ground, 200 yards through the air) that would become his trademark. During his second year, the Yellow Jackets were co-champions of the ACC, defeated Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, and ended the season ranked among the nation's top 10 teams. In 1999, he was the winner and awarded the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach. Friedgen brought 32 years of assistant coaching experience (including 21 years as an offensive coordinator either in college or the NFL) with him upon his return to College Park.

so, yeah a pretty good coordinator. and a hell of a lot more experienced than anyone else on the list.

but hey why hire experience. we would have never gotten in our current great head coaching situation with that kind of inside the box thinking.

Jan 8, 2011, 12:05 AM

No doubt - and if I recall we tried the "hire the flashy guy from a mid-level school" already. How did Spence work out anyway?

Jan 8, 2011, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I want something good to happen, but if he ]

Nice. That's what I was looking for. But I would still have ML over RF. I am just a more of a run and gun type of guy.

ML is not run and gun.....he is more gun 50plus passes a gam***

Jan 8, 2011, 10:05 AM

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 8, 2011, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: I want something good to happen, but if he ]

Good post! Informed, rational and on-target. Thanks!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTBA-MD

Yes, he was a better OC than HC.***

Jan 8, 2011, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I want something good to happen, but if he ]

Jan 8, 2011, 6:35 AM [ in reply to Re: I want something good to happen, but if he ]

Please read 92Tiger2 post and see FR's credentials. I don't like the way he looks, but the man can put a game plan together, and he is a good coach. I doubt we will pay him what he asks, but that is our shortcoming. I also bet he would get rid of an OL coach who can't seem to coach players in run blocking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?***

Jan 7, 2011, 10:49 PM

Maybe he did a phone interview?***

Jan 7, 2011, 10:51 PM

Re: How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?***

Jan 7, 2011, 10:55 PM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

I think in the end that Dabo will just name himself O Coordinator and use the extra money to lure Hobby :)

He's trying to catch lighting in a bottle

Jan 7, 2011, 11:05 PM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

I honestly believe he thinks that the spread is the solution. He needs to get someone who doesn't mind being an SOB. Ralph fits this mold. What I believe what will happen is none of his 1st choices take the job. He thens offers Ralph the job. I hope ole Ralph tells Dabo to stick it. Dabo is a joke. If he turns things around and starts winning I will change my mind, but 20 years of this crap is enough.

Re: He's trying to catch lighting in a bottle

Jan 7, 2011, 11:46 PM

my sentiments exactly. why get one of these young guys that are looking to make a splash and then move on. i'm sick of this dink and dunk screen offense crap.

ralph has shown that he knows what the hell he is doing. i think he could have us productive on offense in a hurry and toughen up the offense.

Re: He's trying to catch lighting in a bottle

Jan 8, 2011, 6:38 AM

Ralph does dink and dunk a lot, but he dinks and dunks all the way down the field, especially on us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?***

Jan 7, 2011, 11:36 PM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

Agreed - bring down Ralph and his QB with him!
With Ralph you get a solid if not flashy offense and a hard nosed coach who can develop QB's and KNOWS the ACC!
Alternatively bring down Rich Rod and his QB! I'd take him back as he was the "Brains" of the Bowden operation anyway.
Last chance for Dabo as far as I'm concerned. Never seen a team go backward so far in one season!

Friedgen was 3-4-1 vs. Danny. Friedgen has 1 NCAA title and

Jan 8, 2011, 6:24 AM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

6 ACC titles.

Friedgen has 1 AFC title with the NFL Chargers.

Dabo must have rocks in his head.

Because he's hell bent on switching to the spread***

Jan 8, 2011, 6:48 AM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

Whar aren't other schools knocking down Fridge's doors .....

Jan 8, 2011, 9:12 AM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

to get to him ???? hmmmm .. maybe he's not the genius guru??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-tigertaz.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"why" rather ******

Jan 8, 2011, 9:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-tigertaz.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fridge's is rumored to be gruff and he ain't much to look at

Jan 8, 2011, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Whar aren't other schools knocking down Fridge's doors ..... ]

that is why. But that is what the world has come to.....hire the best looking not the best.

So you find Nick Saban, RichRod, et al, attractive? Hmmm...***

Jan 9, 2011, 2:39 AM

How many OC jobs are open in the aoutheast/mid-atlantic?***

Jan 8, 2011, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Whar aren't other schools knocking down Fridge's doors ..... ]

Because Ralph would eat Dabo and Dabo knows this.

Jan 8, 2011, 9:47 AM [ in reply to How can you not even INTERVIEW Friedgen!?!?*** ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2QGouUrn5Q

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was the point in this post? Tell us something we don't***

Jan 7, 2011, 10:58 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2011, 11:01 PM

Does anyone know if its true that Mike Leeche said on some fox sports show today that he is interested in the Clemson OC job? If so, Sweeney needs to get his ### on the phone with him.

Won't happen, but man that'd be nice.***

Jan 7, 2011, 11:11 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He apparently hinted that he'd take an OC job in the ACC. We

Jan 7, 2011, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson coaching search update ]

better have him coming in tomorrow for an interview and hire.

did you also hear today that TT self-imposed 2 years

Jan 7, 2011, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson coaching search update ]

probation due to recruiting infractions under his watch---

slim chance of us looking at him = no chance in hell now

Re: did you also hear today that TT self-imposed 2 years

Jan 7, 2011, 11:51 PM

could be why MD backed off him

He would not be the head man here***

Jan 8, 2011, 10:09 AM [ in reply to did you also hear today that TT self-imposed 2 years ]

A whole week has gone by and Dabo has only ONE

Jan 8, 2011, 12:00 AM

person in mind??????

YIKES!!!!

umm, he's interviewed 2 for OC already***

Jan 8, 2011, 12:03 AM

let me rephrase-- that we know of***

Jan 8, 2011, 12:04 AM

Re: let me rephrase-- that we know of***

Jan 8, 2011, 12:07 AM

Well if we don't give Brad another job to do and hire a real OL coach it won't matter who we hire.

Jan 8, 2011, 6:43 AM

You must know something about football. I agree that the OL is the key to our past disappointing performances and the key to our future. Leave BS where he is, and it's same ol' same ol'. He is and always has been at the bottom of our poor rushing offenses.

Jan 8, 2011, 8:30 AM

I agree with the few folks that really understand that the key to scoring points is a quality, skilled OL, which CU has not had, especially under BScott. HE NEEDS TO GO YESTERDAY, if we are ever going to take the program back to the big time. It must be the fear that we lose the recruits that BS is repsonsible for...right now he has CU by the short hairs!

I have never seen the program in my 35+ years take such a step backward, or be is such disarray. Too many people are focused on the "Dabo" decision factor right now...it's not Dabo that is so much the problem as much as it is TDP!!! Does the CU nation really think Dabo is driving the "bus"???? If you read this past weeks Q&A with this TDP, I have never read more hollow, worthless, rhetoric & commentary that is absolutely devoid of a true vision and a meaningful go-forward strategy as TDP exhibited...it is PATHETIC that he is at the helm of CU Athletics. It's no wonder we are in such negative flux.

BUT, I still love my Tigers, and I pray that by some miracle we break out of this 10-12 year downward death-spiral FINALLY in 2011! But as things are going today...I doubt it.

Jan 8, 2011, 6:43 AM [ in reply to let me rephrase-- that we know of*** ]

ummm, 2 is not alot of interviews for the most pressing need on the team, particularly when your ### is on the line and you apparently have no interest in the most successsful guy on the board, Friedgen.

if you didn't get my point....this does not equate to the appearance of a well designed plan.

It would have come out if there were other candidates.

Re: umm, he's interviewed 2 for OC already***

Jan 8, 2011, 12:10 AM [ in reply to umm, he's interviewed 2 for OC already*** ]

He needs offer Fuente enough to jump ship. Morris would be a mistake.

Fuente is 32 years old...how well did our last

Jan 8, 2011, 12:34 PM

31 year old OC work out?

So you don't like Chad Morris who has been a coach for 26 years because he isnt as experienced as Fridge..yet want to hire Fuente..BRILLIANT!

If he has interviewed 2 for the OC and only one is

Jan 8, 2011, 12:14 AM

slightly interested....depending on how all of these other cards fall, we could be starting from scratch again. Crump says he will know more when Dabo returns next week.

This whole process is making me nervous.

I think I agree with those of you that think he should also be interviewing Ralph F and M Leach......
and maybe Rich Rod.

this comment says it all...

Jan 8, 2011, 12:11 PM

If that’s the case, then it looks like Swinney’s only real candidate to this point is Chad Morris, the offensive coordinator at Tulsa.

he has been the only real candidate from the start..the other interviews are the well i interviewed others line he can use.but in reality its a show..ralph has showed interest but he wont interview him nothing new there.

Hire the Fat Man already!!!***

Jan 8, 2011, 6:41 AM

Jan 8, 2011, 7:32 AM

its easy Dabo, Ralph Friedgen....nuff said!

Jan 8, 2011, 9:35 AM

Dabo's an idiot.

Jan 8, 2011, 11:06 AM

Bring Chuck Reedy back....

^^^^what he said^^^^***

Jan 8, 2011, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson coaching search update ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^what dford92 said^^^^***

Jan 8, 2011, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson coaching search update ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With Freidgen if he has 1 successful yeear he would be

Jan 8, 2011, 12:35 PM

a HC again somewhere.

Can't believe I'd ever say this... HIRE THE FRIDGE!!***

Jan 8, 2011, 2:23 PM

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic