Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson offers kicker Ammon Lapik
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Jan 6, 2011, 1:35 PM

Lapik hit a 51-yarder to win a game in the state playoffs this past season, and said the Tigers offered a full scholarship last night. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson offers kicker Ammon Lapik

Jan 6, 2011, 1:41 PM

praise be to the heavens

This would be a great catch for us. I had

Jan 6, 2011, 1:44 PM

the pleasure of watching him play all season at Chattahoochee during their state championship run. He is unbelievably clutch with great range and consistency. Won a couple of games in the playoffs with last second, long range kicks. Same high school as Charlie (and Kane) Whitehurst.

Hopefully, he won't turn into a bust like Richard Jackson.

Jan 6, 2011, 3:34 PM

We've signed some really good kickers in the last 10 years that have turned into complete busts. I hope this one turns out differently!

Jan 6, 2011, 1:45 PM

Well Ammon, if you can kick a consistant 40 yard FG. You will be a starter at Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2011, 1:47 PM

Finally we expand our recruiting base for kickers beyond Greenville!

same high school Charlie Whitehurst came from***

Jan 6, 2011, 1:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won the state championship this year

Jan 6, 2011, 3:07 PM

I think Charlie's brother is a WR. At least it looked like him and his last name was Whitehurst.

Jan 6, 2011, 1:56 PM

I'm not sure about this dude....but if we get Ammon Lakip (correctly spelled) we might be in business.

Anybody know where Clemson stands with Lapik?***

Jan 6, 2011, 2:22 PM

Jan 6, 2011, 3:45 PM

I'd be happy if our kickers could just make the 35 yarders consistently.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Let us make that 40 yards.***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is this front page news? Is Tnet in cahoots with the AD?

Jan 6, 2011, 3:46 PM

Maybe I'm just crazy, but it strikes me as suspicious that that T-Net is reporting about an offer to a kicker (not even a commitment) on the front page of the Football section, when Dabo's failure to improve the FG kicking from 2008 was one of Dabo's glaring mistakes. I looked back at the last 200 T-Net articles in the Football section, and no other offer or commitment has been headlined-- not even the commitment of Sammy Watkins. Is this offer really front-page football-section newsworthy, or is it just propaganda to make fans feel better about Dabo correcting his failures and to give the fans hope so that the fans donate more money and buy more season tickets?

Despite Clemson's poor performance and Dabo's many mistakes, T-Net practically never critiques anything in the football program. On the contrary, most of the articles have a very positive spin. In fact the only critical statement that I recall was when an "OC friend" of a T-Net writer pointed out Clemson's offensive play-calling weakness-- and that suspiciously came just a couple days before Napier was fired-- as though the Clemson AD was preparing the way for Napier's firing.

Is T-Net in cahoots with the Clemson Athletic Department or is T-Net completely independent? Why is there practically never any critique of the football program or the AD? Is it simply that T-Net is afraid that the athletic department will cut off T-Net's access to the coaches and players, or is it something else?

I'm glad they posted it

Jan 6, 2011, 3:49 PM

Kicker is a little different. Other than the OC issues it was the most glaring of 2010.

If Dabo "offers" an OC wouldn't you expect Tigernet to be all over it?

Same with the other top issues.....

It's relevant and fans want to read about it. I think your argument is silly.

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but ALL other such news is in the Recruiting section.***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:21 PM

Re: I'm glad they posted it

Jan 6, 2011, 5:06 PM [ in reply to I'm glad they posted it ]

agree wholeheartedly with you on this one. very few schools offer an actual full ride to a kicker. This is why it is totally different than sammy watkins, etc. This plus the well documented issues we've had with a kicker. had we had a kicker that was as accurate as this kid this year (saw what you want about recievers, parker, napire, etc.) we would have perhaps been talking about our performance in the organge bowl, not bitching and moaning about 6-7. Auburn, BC, and FSU were all wins with a kicker. No debate about that, then we are talking 9-4, maybe 10-4 who knows. This is newsworthy.

All that said, it shows Dabo is doing what he needs to rectify glaring issues.

Jan 6, 2011, 5:34 PM

PROGRESS

Jan 7, 2011, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm glad they posted it ]

Don't forget UNC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good to see something remain positive!***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Why is this front page news? Is Tnet in cahoots with the AD? ]

Watkins

Jan 6, 2011, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Why is this front page news? Is Tnet in cahoots with the AD? ]

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=9135

Watkins was posted in "Recruiting", where this has now moved***

Jan 7, 2011, 12:45 PM

Great move if

Jan 6, 2011, 4:08 PM

This is good as long as we get an OC that knows to place the ball in middle of field rather than the hash marks for a change.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great move if

Jan 6, 2011, 4:12 PM

I'd rather have an OC that knows and worries about how to place the ball in the endzone....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some kickers prefer a hashmark spot.

Jan 6, 2011, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Great move if ]

Ga Tech kicker that beat us last year likes the right hashmark.

Re: Some kickers prefer a hashmark spot.

Jan 6, 2011, 4:42 PM

Not ours if you look at the results of most of the misses we have had over the years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!!! Is that you Danny?***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Great move if ]

Why waste a scholarship on another kicker?

Jan 6, 2011, 4:20 PM

Cat Man will be alright. Get us some more horses with them valuable schollys! We need more TDs not FGs!

Because Catanzaro ranks 95th in field goal percentage!!!***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:25 PM

And we need a kick-off guy who can kick it past the end-zone***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:30 PM

Because Clemson typcally loses 2-3 games a year due to

Jan 6, 2011, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Why waste a scholarship on another kicker? ]

poor kicking!

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Have you watched any of our games in the past 4-5 years?***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Why waste a scholarship on another kicker? ]

Re: Why waste a scholarship on another kicker?

Jan 6, 2011, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Why waste a scholarship on another kicker? ]

We do have more place kickers on scholarship than any D1 program that I know. Wish we could pull in linebackers like we do jickers.

I would give up 2 scholarships for another Chris Gardocki!

Jan 6, 2011, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Why waste a scholarship on another kicker? ]

or for that matter Obed, Treadwell, Igwe, or Paulling.

Re: I would give up 2 scholarships for another Chris Gardocki!

Jan 7, 2011, 7:12 AM

Well start contacting people that can do, and start a scholarship fund for him and his brother or sister. With every kick off starting at the 20, his field goals and punts, we are a 3 to 4 game win better. With a guy like that, special teams are a game changer....

BECAUSE WE LOST TWO GAMES because of FG kicker***

Jan 6, 2011, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Why waste a scholarship on another kicker? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Field goal kicking didn't lose ANY games. See my post below***

Jan 7, 2011, 3:23 PM

disagree. A sorry kicker effects your whole outlook and

Jan 8, 2011, 11:59 AM

confidence on Offence. Your play calling is altered and it is a huge motivation let down to walk away with zero points after nearing the red zone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ammon, Once a Clemson Man...Always a Clemson man!

Jan 6, 2011, 4:36 PM

And, think of Obed Arriri & David Treadwell and many other very good kickers that played for the TIGERS and did well afterwards financially.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if KP would have the same advice about dual sports***

Jan 6, 2011, 4:47 PM

Jan 6, 2011, 7:43 PM

Pretty confident kid if he is comfortable from 50 plus

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a new guy for everybody to bi#tch about when he doesn't

Jan 6, 2011, 8:33 PM

save us in a game where we've already had 4 turnovers!!

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jan 6, 2011, 10:13 PM

The 51 yarder is an impressive distance, but what I want, and what all Clemson fans want is a guy who is money from 40 yards in. If we had that, we would have gone to the Orange bowl, and Auburn might not be playing next week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

expect him to become a headcase when he gets to clemson***

Jan 6, 2011, 11:35 PM

Re: expect him to become a headcase when he gets to clemson***

Jan 7, 2011, 12:18 AM

kicking in front of 2500+ compared to kicking in front of 80,000+ can be a big difference in the mind of a kicker when it comes to making a "simple field goal". Instead of looking for a kicker with a strong leg, I believe we should be recruiting kickers that have strong mentalities as well as accurate legs. Hard to check that on film though.

This is definitely not an excuse for our poor kicking game for the last couple of years. I just think we are recruiting stats rather than skill.

My 2 cents, you take it as you wish. I kicked football for the majority of my athletic career and understand the mentality and skill it takes to kick. Tough job mentally more than physically. (I never kicked on more than a high school level so I don't know what it's like to kick in front of more than 10,000 but I'm just making a guess)

Jan 7, 2011, 5:50 AM

Only one problem as I see it.When Lapik starts missing from 52 yards,Dabo has an airtight excuse!

Even if Catman hit 100% NO more wins would have been assured

Jan 7, 2011, 1:20 PM

Even in the unrealistic scenario that Catman made 100% of his field goal attempts, it would NOT have assured Clemson of even one more win. At best, it might have generated some more overtime periods (where Clemson may have won or lost) and even that requires making the ridiculous assumption that you could just add the missed field goal points to the final score and that Clemson's opponents wouldn't have changed their play-calling as a result of, say, being tied instead of having a lead.

Look at Clemson’s 7 losses:
- Auburn (27-24): Catanzaro made one 42-yarder & missed one 32-yarder.
- Miami (30-21): No field goal attempts made.
- UNC (21-16): Catanzaro made one 48-yarder & missed one 42-yarder.
- BC (16-10): Catanzaro made a 31-yarder and missed from 44 & 36.
- FSU (16-13): Catanzaro hit from 22 & 29, but missed from 38.
- SCar (29-7): No field goal attempts made.
- USF 31-26: Missed from 26, & hit from 27 & 44.

So even in the completely unrealistic scenario that Catanzaro had made 100% of his field goal attempts, it’s not clear that Clemson would have won any more games-- especially since in the 4th quarters, opponents like UNC, BC, & USF only needed to play conservative, clock-grinding, win-preserving football and FSU only needed to play for a FG to win. Those opponents wouldn't have played that way if the score were tied.

The Dabo-fan excuses that Clemson would have won the Atlantic if Catman had made a few more field goals is nonsense. It's not like Catman missed any win-or-lose field goals in the final seconds. And nobody makes 100%.

Good analysis

Jan 7, 2011, 1:34 PM

but he did miss a lose fieldgoal - Auburn. I put that on the snapper though as he made the first attempt.

Thanx but the missed Aub FG would have extended OT, not won.***

Jan 7, 2011, 3:30 PM

paralysis by analysis..

Jan 7, 2011, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Even if Catman hit 100% NO more wins would have been assured ]

consider points, field position and momentum. I say three more wins minimum with an average fg kicker.

That seems like quite a leap of faith in fantasy scenarios.

Jan 7, 2011, 6:54 PM

You say a minumum of 3 more wins with an average field goal kicker? Of Clemson's 7 losses there were 2 losses with no field goal attempts, so that leaves 5 games that could have possibly been affected by better field goal kicking, none of which would have been won by simply adding the points from the missed field goals. But you think that Clemson would have won 3-out-of-5, minimum, with an average (not perfect) field goal kicker who would have also missed a few attempts? Hard to imagine.

Jan 7, 2011, 6:44 PM

Okay, so he made a 51 yarder in playoffs. What about the kid from Pickens who made 2 52 yarders in games this year that would have been good from 60 or 65 and consistent on getting them in the endzone?

Kids got a short stroke ... looks like Igwebuike.***

Jan 8, 2011, 11:56 AM

Why is Lakip rated below top 100 in Rivals kicker ratings?

Jan 9, 2011, 10:03 PM

Am I missing something? Not going with Jackson this year was debatable. Great job recruiting this year if we hold our commitments but why so little attention to kicking? Kickers will win and lose more games a year than most position players. Appreciate any input ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2011, 5:39 PM

They should get Charlie Whitehurst to put in a good word. I believe Charlie went to Chattahoochie as well...

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic