Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers' bowl game a reflection of 2010 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Dec 31, 2010, 5:14 PM

The Clemson Tigers' bid to overcome an 18-point deficit fell just short of the mark, and South Florida defeated the Tigers 31-26 in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigers' bowl game a reflection of 2010 season

Dec 31, 2010, 5:31 PM

"everything within my power"...is he possibly trying to say he's not allowed to make any staff changes?

Dec 31, 2010, 5:58 PM

He won't make any changes because he doesn't have the balls or brains to do so.
He ran off all the defensive coaches when he took over and he kept his buddies on the offensive side. Look where that has left us?
We have one of the WORST offensive lines in the country. An offense that is laughable. Special teams that are atrocious.

reflection of the last 12 years...

Dec 31, 2010, 5:33 PM

a few plays away

... And a preview of next year.***

Dec 31, 2010, 10:00 PM

That's right. Crappy!***

Dec 31, 2010, 7:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Accurate headline

Dec 31, 2010, 8:02 PM

This game was a microcosm of our season. Just about every problem we had this year showed up:

- poor gameplanning
- poor QB play
- RB tiptoeing into holes
- mental breakdowns in coverage
- stupid penalties at the wrong time on D
- inconsistency in the kicking game, snapping, making field goals
- poor clock management (thankfully we got the TD anyway)
- bad/predictable playcalling
- after 13 games, still no offensive identity

The most frustrating thing about this season is that we showed no improvement from game 1 through today. You'd like to think that each game would provide experience to not only the players but the coaching staff as well allowing them to correct mistakes and improve, but sadly, we made the same mistakes week in, week out and have shown no improvement over the course of the year. That falls squarely on the coaching staff, whether you like or not.

Auburn, VT, et al, improved. Clemson stagnated. Bad coach.***

Dec 31, 2010, 10:07 PM

Re: Tigers' bowl game a reflection of 2010 season***

Dec 31, 2010, 9:13 PM

Dec 31, 2010, 9:14 PM

yall suck

only a coot....

Dec 31, 2010, 9:16 PM

would be on their rival's board running their mouth when they are looking like crap in their bowl game. You coots never cease to amaze me.

I was saying the same thing during the game.***

Dec 31, 2010, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Tigers' bowl game a reflection of 2010 season ]

Then maybe you should consider switching sides.....

Jan 1, 2011, 8:27 AM

An SC fan gets on our baord and says "ya'll suck" and you agree with him? All of your posts sound like a gamecock. Everything you post is bashing Clemson. Start pulling for the Gamecocks! They are doing pretty good. They have a proven coach. They have beaten teams with superior talent. They won a division championship. They have everything you want! Just switch sides and your life will be fulfilled and we won't have to read post after post about how bad you hate Clemson. Oh wait, you don't hate Clemson just Dabo and Napier and TDP and Pres. Barker and Kyle Parker and Tahj Boyd and Jamie Harper and Xavier Dye and Tommy Bowden .............

Apparenly you love Dabo as much as the Gamecock fans do.

Jan 1, 2011, 1:07 PM

I graduated Clemson and love Clemson so I can't just switch to become a Gamecock fan. That kind of absurd logic says a lot about the way you think.

Unlike you, I hate to see crappy coaching hurt the team and the players, and embarrass the school. Unlike you, it disgusts me to watch an incompetent newbie, nobody, head coach and OC repeatedly lead a superior group of athletes to losses against teams full of inferior atheletes, in their on-the-job training years. Of course, you didn't bother to address that fact. Instead you change the subject make a ridiculous assertion that I should switch loyalties. I guess arguing facts isn't your strong suit.

During the Clemson USF game, I kept thinking that Clemson stinks and is a poorly coached team, so yes, I agree with the Gamecock troll who posted here. Apparently you watched Clemson lose to an inferior team and you thought Clemson looked good.

The Gamecock fans love TDP, Dabo, and Napier, just like you do. If you go read the Gamecock boards you'll see lots of posts from Gamecocks hoping that Clemson keeps TDP, Dabo, & Napier, exactly like you want. They were thrilled that Clemson kept TDP, Dabo & Napier. Thrilled. Just like you, Gamecock fans don't want Clemson to hire a great, proven head coach.

Contrary to your ignorant comments, I don't criticize the players. I do criticize highly paid administrators who behave incompetently. If you don't like that, PLEASE don't read any more of my comments.

Apparenly you were a Bowden lover too. But after three years and over 50 FBS head football coaching changes, Bowden is still unemployed. Apparently crappy head coaches like Bowden and Dabo are good enough for you, but not for any other decent school. I guess that makes you right and me and 50+ ADs wrong.

I can call my sister ugly, but you better not!

Jan 1, 2011, 2:35 PM

We can discuss all day the woes of the tigers, but when a gamecock jumps in and bashes us I can assure you I will not agree with him. Are you kidding me? And you say my comments are ignorant, but all of your "intelligent" insults are generalities. "Crappy coaching", "incompetent newbie, nobody head coach". Where are facts you beg for in those comments? Look, it's fine to be frustrated, we all are. I would like to see some changes, too. However, I don't think you can judge a coach in his second year. I don't think it is worthwhile to bash my university(I am a graduate, too)because we had a rough year. Look at Georgia, Texas, etc. all "proven coaches". It happens. If it is too much for you to take, then there are successful teams out there looking for fans. Grab a removable flag and magnet like the gamecocks use and enjoy! But when things turn don't come around saying you were behind them all along. Stop giving and going to games. Someone else could use your seat.

Here is 1 fact that cannot be dodged: we are 6-7 and are

Jan 2, 2011, 1:30 PM

coming off of an absolutely embarrassing loss to South Florida in the Mieneke Bowl, a bowl in which we as fans were asked to lobby for in order to be invited to. In addition to this glaring fact and most importantly, we have shown absolutely no improvement from game 1 of this season through the bowl debacle in the following areas:

- gameplanning/preparation
- QB play/technique/footwork/etc.
- RB tiptoeing into holes
- making mental breakdowns in pass coverage
- committing stupid penalties at the wrong time on D (lack of discipline)
- inconsistency in the kicking game/snapping/making field goals
- clock management
- playcalling continues to be very predictable based on our formation
- and after 13 games, we still have no offensive identity

You don't think you can judge a coach in his second year? That may be true if the coach is a complete "new hire" from the outside that has to implement his new staff, philosophy, recruit his players to fit his schemes, has to rebuild, etc. However, our coach has been here for years as our recruiting coordinator, has brought in several top 25 recruiting classes (if you believe Scout and Rivals), and is responsible for the current talent on the roster, and as such, he should know our players inside and out unlike a true "new hire". Not only that, our current head coach decided to keep the offensive coaching staff largely intact (obvious exception - Rob Spence) and brought in Steele to run the defense.

So, we continue to run the same type of offense Spence did with the same coaches (aside from Spence) that also happened to recruit and have been coaching the current players on our team. No new schemes, no new philosophies, no new personnel (except for Steele, and I will give him credit as the defense was one of our few bright spots this year - although they were pretty lack-luster in the bowl).

Considering the facts surrounding our "2nd year coach", I ask you why would we not judge him after his second year?

I just call 'em like I see 'em with data to support my views

Jan 2, 2011, 3:05 PM [ in reply to I can call my sister ugly, but you better not! ]

If a Gamecock fan says that 2+2=4, I'm not going to disagree with them just because they're Gamecock. Apparently that's your mentality.

If you are as familiar with my posts as you claim to be in your previous post, then you'd know that I've provided plenty of data and logical explanations to supoprt my claims about Clemson's crappy coaching. I'm not going to detail them again here. But...

For example, Dabo chose to EVENLY split carries between Harper & Ellington, even though Ellington had much higher yards-per-carry than Harper and more points-per-carry. Or for example, Dabo chose to be loyal to his senior WRs and play them (for about the first 5 games) over the younger guys who were clearly superior from game 1. Or for example, Napier had no success at developing Parker into a better QB or developing Boyd to be better than Parker. Or for example, the offensive play-calling is so weak and predictable that even BC's, linebacker, Luke Kuechly laughed at Clemson, saying that they almost always knew what play Clemson was going to run based on formation, down, and distance. (No kidding. Everybody in the stadium knows.) Or for exmple, Dabo didn't improve (by recruiting or coaching) Clemson's weak place-kicking. Etc. Etc.

But here's one thing that really tells the tale of how incompetent Clemson's coaches are. Including UNC's suspensions, Clemson had more player-talent on the field than UNC, BC, SCar, & USF. FSU had roughly equivalent talent. Yet Clemson lost to FOUR teams that had inferior player talent, and one team that had roughly equivalent player talent. Following is a link to the player-talent comparison of Clemson & USF. And if you scroll down the articles on that same website, you'll see the weekly comparisons of player-talent for each of Clemson's opponents this season. It's pretty clear that Clemson lost to several teams with inferior player-talent and failed to beat the two teams with superior player-talent (Auburn & Miami). I think that pretty obviously indicates that Clemson's coaching staff is incompetent. But I'd love to hear your explanation of why inferior teams consistently beat Dabo. Once in a while a team gets upset. I can grasp that. But Dabo REGULARLY loses to inferior teams. Does that indicate good coaching to you?
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/22/1890972/two-deep-talent-recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-usf

Do I actually have to prove to you that Dabo is a newbie, nobody head coach? The guy has no head coaching experience and no coordinator experience. No decent FBS school in the country would have hired him to be head coach when Clemson did, and no decent FBS school would hire him to be head coach now. Surely you don't disagree, do you? So then why is Dabo good enough for Clemson?

Is it too early to evaluate Dabo after 2.5 years? Guys like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Gene Chizik, and many, many others (who didn't have massive rebuilding projects) improved their teams in that amount time or less. Clemson had a roster full of superior talent, yet once CJ Spiller & Jacoby Ford bolted for the NFL, Dabo & Napier got exposed as the weak coaches that they are. Clemson's offense and red zone production have been weak for the last two years. Go look at the NCAA stats. (I've detailed this in other posts.) I thought that Dabo & Napier looked like weak, inexperienced coaches last season too but it was partially masked by the homerun talents of Spiller & Ford. I think that Dabo & Napier made several egregious mistakes in game-planning and play-calling against GT, TCU, & UMD, that cost Clemson several losses, a Top 15 ranking, and a better bowl game. (I've detailed these mistakes in earlier posts as well.)

Per your suggestion, I have stopped giving and going to games. I refuse to reward the incompetence of Barker & TDP. Give them more money and maybe they'll just waste it by doing something stupid like granting Dabo a $4M buyout-- just like they foolishly did with Tommy Bowden a few months before firing him. Based on the pathetic attendance at the Meineke Toilet Bowl, I'd say that a lot of other people will stop buying tix and donating. So you should be able to get great seats to watch my beloved alma mater lose to several more inferior teams next year under your beloved head coach.

If Dabo leads the team to success next season, I'll be here to admit that I was wrong. But if he stinks it up again next year, will you admit that you were wrong, or will you (like the Tommy Bowden fans) say year after year, that Dabo needs more time and never admit that he was a mediocre coach?

I don't care who says it...

Jan 1, 2011, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Then maybe you should consider switching sides..... ]

the truth is the truth and this year we suck.
Not much hope for next year either if we keep this clown shoes staff together.
Relying on true freshman to fix the hot mess that is this football team? Hah!

Clemson had far more player talent, far less coaching talent

Dec 31, 2010, 10:30 PM

The USF loss is just one more example (along with UNC, BC, & SCar) of Clemson's weak coaching staff leading a team of superior player-talent to a loss against an team with inferior player-talent. Look at the talent disparity in the two deep of Clemson & USF in the following link.
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/22/1890972/two-deep-talent-recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-usf

When superior teams consistently lose to inferior teams, that's just bad coaching. Is there any other way to explain it? I don't think that even the biggest Dabo pumpers could possibly watch Clemson play football and think that's a well coached team. Clemson football has become a joke. Would any other decent FBS school hire Dabo or Napier? No way. So why are they good enough for Clemson?

3 years later...

Dec 31, 2010, 11:41 PM

3 years ago we landed the #2 rated recruiting class in the nation. These players are now juniors (if they are still in school) and we have a losing record (with wins over N. Texas, PC, and Wake Forest). Why?!?

Re: Clemson had far more player talent, far less coaching talent

Jan 1, 2011, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Clemson had far more player talent, far less coaching talent ]

We need to higher Ralph Fredigen for OC.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic