Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
anyone have ESPN Insider? - article on Mays on CB front page
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 450

anyone have ESPN Insider? - article on Mays on CB front page

Jan 5, 2007, 10:27 PM

anyone want to cut and paste it for the rest of us???!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GOT IT....

Jan 5, 2007, 10:29 PM

Mays makes difference for Clemson
posted: Friday, January 5, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

One of the main reasons Clemson is different going into ACC play this season than the one that started 11-0 last season is pretty simple: James Mays.
He didn't play in the ACC last season because he was academically ineligible. He's eligible this season. So, there you go.

"It's pretty clear," Clemson coach Oliver Purnell said. "We haven't lost a game with him in the lineup the past two seasons."

Mays played in the first 11 games last season. He didn't play in the last two nonconference games and Clemson lost them both, at Georgia and Elon. Then the Tigers went into the ACC and dropped three of their first five. Ultimately, they finished 18-12, out of the NCAAs and into the NIT, where they beat Louisiana Tech before losing at Louisville.

This season's 15-0 start, heading into Saturday's game against Georgia Tech, is dotted with some solid wins. Granted, maybe none of these teams will be in the NCAA Tournament but the Tigers still won three true road nonconference games -- at Old Dominion, Minnesota and South Carolina -- and one so far in the ACC (at Florida State), while also taking out Georgia at home.

What does the 6-9 Mays do for the Tigers?

"He just fits our style of play and does so many things we need to win," said Purnell. "He can be the point of our press, lead us in shot blocks and steals as well as rebounding, and to lose someone who leads you in all those categories is tough. He's someone who is offensive-minded, too."

Through Friday, Mays was second on the team in scoring to K.C. Rivers at 12.5 points per game, first in rebounding at 7.4 boards per game, and tops in steals at 2.3 a game. He was beaten out by a hair on blocks by Trevor Booker -- 1.9 to 1.4 a game.

Beating Florida State in Tallahassee was huge for this squad, a win that proved the nonconference performance wasn't a fluke. The Tigers continue with two on the road (at N.C. State and at Maryland) after the Georgia Tech game.

"We had such a great start, but the win at Florida State helped even more confidence-wise," Purnell said.

As for turning the corner at Clemson, Purnell said the Tigers may have done that last season by getting to the NIT without Mays. Clearly, though, getting to the Dance would signify a real change at Clemson for Purnell.

The reason: Purnell, like most coaches in the ACC, sees North Carolina as the class of the league this season, but second place on down is wide open.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Thumbs up***

Jan 5, 2007, 10:31 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks***

Jan 5, 2007, 10:37 PM [ in reply to GOT IT.... ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks***

Jan 5, 2007, 10:38 PM

here to serve...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Then get me a beer, I'm empty!***

Jan 5, 2007, 11:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Replies: 5
| visibility 450
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic