Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I still find this amazing... where Clemson stacks up since 1975
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

I still find this amazing... where Clemson stacks up since 1975

Oct 17, 2018, 9:10 AM

So I’m drawing the line at 1975 as the beginning of the “modern era” of college football. Yeah, it’s subjective and opinions will vary, but I think you can make a good argument. There were some very significant changes in the early 70's that leveled the playing field, created more parity and normalized the competition. And 1975 was my freshman year, so that's when college football started for me personally. And it's my thread.

But seriously. Scholarship limits were first established in 1973. This prevented elite teams with unlimited funding from just stacking talent and signing everydammbody. There was a quote, I think it was Bear Bryant... “I’d rather have him sitting on my bench than on the field trying to beat me”. Or something like that.

1975 was the first year the UPI Coaches Poll waited until after bowl season to release their final poll. As crazy as that seems now, prior to 1975 the UPI could name a national champion and then see them lose their bowl game. So one of the two major polls (AP & UPI) that named the nat'l champ was very suspect before '75.

And something that had plagued ACC teams for many years was finally eliminated in 1972. The ACC dropped the 800 SAT Score eligibility requirement. Other schools (cough cough... the SEC) had lower requirements and signed kids we couldn’t. That’s why Frank Howard referred to the SEC as “that knucklehead league".

Anyway, since 1975 we have as many nat'l titles as Notre Dame, Ohio St, Penn St & USC, and we have MORE than LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Tenn, Texas & Michigan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: I still find this amazing... where Clemson stacks up since 1975

Oct 17, 2018, 9:23 AM

Thanks, nice read!

Gives me a warm fuzzy thinking that Dabo just might take us into the top two or three!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Integration happened in the 1970s too.

Oct 17, 2018, 9:41 AM

The Big Ten dominated college football in the 1960's and early 1970's.

Michigan State in particular was taking great players out of S. Carolina that had no chance to play at Clemson simply because of the color of their skin.

https://sites.google.com/site/hon221finalproject/integrating-athletics

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. I think it was Tim Wilson who cracked on Spurrier...

Oct 17, 2018, 9:57 AM

"he won the Heisman Trophy back when all the black kids were in Vietnam".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Integration happened in the 1970s too.

Oct 17, 2018, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Integration happened in the 1970s too. ]

Nice assessment by the OP. School limits and SAT requirements were big steps to evening the playing field. Based on this we are in the elite 11 with at least 2 McD.

Also, a nice article on Craig Mobley and Marion Reeves. I was at Clemson during this time.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the turning point for football integration in the deep

Oct 17, 2018, 10:13 AM

south was a game in 1970. Sou Cal waltzed onto Legion Field and waxed Bama's azzz with an all-black backfield. “USC RB Sam Cunningham did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King had accomplished in 20 years." An exaggeration no doubt, but you get the point.

Got to play ball with Craig Mobley in the Air Force

Oct 17, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Integration happened in the 1970s too. ]

He and I were both stationed at Hanscom AFB (Mass) in the early 80’s. Smooth as silk - what a baller!

Of course, he was a really good guy, but hey, he is a Clemson man, so that is to be expected. Saw an article in Clemson Magazine some years back about his business in California; efforts supporting young kids; and posing with the Obamas. Good to see someone like Craig living a good life reaping the rewards of his hard work and solid ethics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Integration happened in the 1970s too.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Integration happened in the 1970s too. ]

Of course I knew the Harvey Gantt story, but did not know the story of Craig Mobley, or Marion Reeves. It took a lot of courage on their part, all 3 true Clemson MEN. Thanks for posting.

Frank Howard actually reccommended George Webster to

Oct 17, 2018, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Integration happened in the 1970s too. ]

Duffy Daugherty at Michigan State in the mid 60s and the kid became an all-american and an all-pro.

In those days, guys like Webster would often end up at Grambling, etc.

I beg your pardon....

Oct 17, 2018, 10:57 AM

but I believe the "modern era of college football" began in 1981

Amirite, GWPTiger® classof1994®?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct. Anything prior to the 1981

Oct 17, 2018, 10:59 AM

season does not count towards national championships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

OK...

Oct 17, 2018, 11:10 AM

Wait a minute... cutting it off at 1981 means the Jawjuh Bullfrawgs

Oct 18, 2018, 12:07 PM [ in reply to You are correct. Anything prior to the 1981 ]

have ZERO titles and we have TWO. Sorry, I'm not terribly bright... shoulda picked up on that sooner. Yeah, I'm good with that.

Southern dominance...particularly the state of FLA***

Oct 17, 2018, 11:07 AM

What's truly amazing about those stats is

Oct 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

the University of Florida, Florida State, and Miami all being in Florida. That's 10.5 national championships in a 40 year span in one state. Add in Alabama and Auburn having 8.5, and 19 of the past 42 years, the champ has resided in only 2 states.

yeah, and points out yet again how UGA has underachieved...

Oct 17, 2018, 1:22 PM

They OWN the state of Georgia and have pulled in Top 5 to Top 10 classes since I've been following recruiting, since the freaking 80's. And they have one nat'l title. Every other school that consistently recruits that well over the last 40 years has multiple titles to show for it.

Oct 17, 2018, 5:12 PM

While you're at it, can you give us the Win/Loss results? ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 5:23 PM

Good Post. Thanks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 5:38 PM

So the coots one conference championship was before modern football ... lol garbage program

since 1976, we have as many Natties as Ok and OSU

Oct 18, 2018, 10:06 AM

Just love seeing that so that when their arrogant fans try to "put us in our place" it will be nice to bring up that THEY are in "our place"...........Nice work

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic