Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How thin is Alabama's D getting?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

How thin is Alabama's D getting?

Oct 10, 2018, 2:30 PM

One thing I find fascinating and it hasn't really been remarked-upon: Alabama just lost junior CB Trevon Diggs with a broken foot - probably for the year, though it's possible he might be back (although probably not in game shape) if the Tide make the playoffs.

This is interesting because the Tide were already paper-thin at CB. That leaves them JUCO transfer Saivion Smith - previously of LSU and Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston, Mississippi - and three true freshmen for the Tide at the CB position - and that's all. Patrick Surtain Jr - a former 5-star - slides into the other starting spot, and a couple of 4-stars (Josh Jobe and Jalyn Armour-Davis) are the backups. Neither are overly big - they're both listed at 6'0", but Jobe came into camp at 173 pounds, and Armour-Davis was 160. To say that's way off what the Tide normally have is putting it mildly.

They're also starting true sophomore Xavier McKinney - another former 5-star and a former teammate of Tre Lamar's at Roswell HS - at one safety position; he's another new starter this year. Again: a very talented guy, but way inexperienced...and McKinney isn't a big dude either.

The Tide are normally, deep, experienced, and huge in the secondary. They're none of those things this year.

To add to the fun the Tide lost a boatload of LB's to the graduation, the NFL, attrition, injuries, and other sports. At least six LB's who were on the roster last season no longer are, and what you see at their four LB spots are some veteran starters - Christian Miller (RS SR), Anfernee Jennings (RS JR) and Wilson Mack (JR) who with the exception of Jennings didn't really play much in previous years and definitely had to wait - and wait, and wait - their turn behind what seems to have been more talented guys, and they're backed up by an upjumped former walk-on redshirt senior (Jamie Mosley) who has seven solo tackles for his entire career. After that, they're down to true freshmen again. This is not a vintage LB crew for Alabama, whatever, and once you get past those starters they're back to very talented...and utterly inexperienced.

Their DL isn't as good or deep as it was in previous years, either, though it is probably the strongest unit of the three.

Add it all up, and you can see why the Tide are ranked just 25th in total defense this year, allowing 332.2 yards per game. That number is likely to get worse with the loss of Diggs, who was their one veteran corner...now they're down to a JUCO transfer and three true freshmen, none of whom was on the team last year. Ouch.

Mind, Alabama's defensive woes have been masked by the fact that their O has been scoring at will this year...but it still begs the question: does Alabama this year really have the defense - and especially the defensive depth - of a team that's going to go deep into the postseason? Because the Tide are pretty much at the red line before one or two more injuries anywhere in their back seven could completely gut their defense.

Everybody's in awe of their lopsided scorelines...but what might end up being the real story are the cracks that are quietly appearing in Alabama's foundation. Worth keeping an eye on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those recruiting battles for McKinney and Surtain

Oct 10, 2018, 2:35 PM

look like even bigger losses now.

Our WR screen game would eat that secondary apart given that even Renfrow has a weight advantage on a few of them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those recruiting battles for McKinney and Surtain

Oct 10, 2018, 2:59 PM

Our screen game? What you talkin about willis?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:56 PM

It's when we quickly throw to a WR and our other WRs setup blocking.

Considering Bama's smaller DBs will struggle to get off blocks, especially from Higgins, Overton Ross and even Renfrow.

Re: Yes.

Oct 11, 2018, 9:37 AM

lol our Wide Receivers dont know how to block, what are you talking about?

Re: Yes.

Oct 11, 2018, 11:21 AM

Tell that to Ross and friends;)

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay solid input. Thanks. Hope this helps:

Oct 11, 2018, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. ]

You said, "lol our Wide Receiver dont know how to block, what are you talking about?".

First, a few questions, then I'll tell you what I'm taking about.

Would you say that it's coaching? Dabo, as a former WR coach, should really do something about it if that's true. If Dabo is too busy, maybe Jeff Scott can teach them? Or are his Co-OC duties causing him to skip the details?

Why don't you just go back to the Texas A&M game and watch the screen pass on our second drive. On a 3rd and 13, Tee Higgins downfield blocking allowed Etienne to get the 1st down and ensure a TD instead of settling for 3. Would those 4 points have mattered?

How about Tee Higgins on the Chase Brice QB keeper on the final drive vs Syracuse? Care to explain what he was up to? If he doesn't know how to block, he definitely knows how to get in the way of a defender with his arms on him. Again, not sure if that play was critical to the final outcome.

Maybe rewatch this weekend's Wake game when Hunter Renfrow, as a QB, gets downfield to throw a block on a TD run. While you're there, maybe notice Will Swinney, early, and Derion Kendrick, late, laying crucial blocks to the touchdown. Okay, this one wouldn't have had much of an affect on the final outcome. But these young backup WRs sure know how to block.

If you don't think that WR blocking is a critical point of emphasis for our team and strategy, I don't know what else to tell you.

Now to go find that mic I just dropped...

Re: Okay solid input. Thanks. Hope this helps:

Oct 11, 2018, 12:05 PM

And Hunter learned to block from the WR position, and took what he learned as a WR down field from the QB position and used it... Enough said bc it will never be good enough for the Negative Nancy's on this board or any other board that has their share of Negative Nancy's also!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know who you are watching, but I've seen our WR's

Oct 12, 2018, 6:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. ]

blocking well on plays.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

But the Justyn Ross

Oct 11, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Those recruiting battles for McKinney and Surtain ]

loss hurts worse to Bama than most think

But the Justyn Ross

Oct 11, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Those recruiting battles for McKinney and Surtain ]

loss hurts worse to Bama than most think

My D is thinner than theirs!***

Oct 10, 2018, 2:42 PM

You just need to pencil it in.....***

Oct 10, 2018, 6:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How's your long ball?***

Oct 11, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to My D is thinner than theirs!*** ]

Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting?

Oct 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

Are we playing Alabama this weekend?
No!
Are we playing them next weekend?
That would also be No.
Do you think Dabo is concerned with how thin Alabama D is this weekend?
No!
Do you think Dabo will be concerned with how thin Alabama's D is next weekend?
That would also be No!
So why are you so concerned about when it would be another 2 and a half months before we might even see them on the gridiron anyway!

we're not playing anybody this weekend***

Oct 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

Best Is The Standard

Re: we're not playing anybody this weekend***

Oct 10, 2018, 2:54 PM

I am quite aware of that, but I could probably guess that Dabo and the staff are a bit more focused on N.C.State, and not how thin Alabama's D is!

Why would we ever focus on NCST?***

Oct 10, 2018, 3:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Why would we ever focus on NCST?***

Oct 10, 2018, 3:32 PM

Remember what almost happened here 2 years ago?
That's why!

Did Tigernet not focus enough?

Oct 10, 2018, 3:35 PM

Or did we focus juuuuuust enough?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We want to avoid winning?***

Oct 10, 2018, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Why would we ever focus on NCST?*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Oct 10, 2018, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: we're not playing anybody this weekend*** ]

The OP wasn't addressing Dabo .

Seems pretty clear when you read what is written .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 11, 2018, 2:04 AM

Not sure comprehension is a strong point of his????

Oct 11, 2018, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: we're not playing anybody this weekend*** ]

Sometimes, a post deserves more than one TU per the Readers choice, as in what quozzel had to say, and Tigerdug having to reiterate what quozzel's post was actually about!!! But, reading comprehension would go a long way, then there wouldn't be a need for anyone reiterating what a post was actually about!!!

super serial much?***

Oct 10, 2018, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Sun Tzu said: “Keep your friends close”

Oct 10, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

But your enemies closer. Alabama will always be this team’s ‘enemy’; and thus bears close watching always.

Besides, it is our bye week...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Not sure the OP posted this for Dabo's consideration...I suspect he thought some might find it interesting reading on an off week for the Tigers.

Some people are just like that, treating sports message boards like...sports message boards.

Are you confusing Tigernet with the coaching staff?

Oct 10, 2018, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

I mean, folks discussing other football teams in the context of how they might (or, of course, might not) have an impact on Clemson seems normal fodder for a message board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously?

Oct 10, 2018, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

You’re the worst kind of fan. Nothing that happens on a message board, even one as prestigious as TNet has any impact on the coaches or any facets of the game. It’s just fans talking about different topics. Lighten up, it’s the off week we can talk about Bama without the sky falling.

Total classless and clueless response to an OP

Oct 10, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

who consistently brings outstanding analysis to this forum, unlike yourself.

Does any element of your snotty little drive by diatribe add any value to anything? But then you know the rest..

Perhaps you should rely on the spellbinding narratives MANAFOLD spins on FGF to meet your cootish needs going forward.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2018, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Seriously? Leftie, What kind of post would you prefer on this a football board?

Coot said this, Coot did that more your speed. Most of time you have to sift through drivel to get some good football talk and you are upset with it....unreal.

Oct 10, 2018, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

TigerNet isn't the ones playing so our focus matters none. That's not a bright thing to say when someone is giving deep insight on college football on a college football board (which was quite interesting to read thank you Quozzel) with you then bashing them because it's not about the bye week or the wolf puppies. I really hate these comments and it makes you seem like some old grump. His concern was never stated so why did you speak of that? Did he say were playing them this weekend? No. Did he say we were next weekend? That would also be no. Did he say dabo was concerned with how thing Alabama's D is this weekend? No! Did he said he thought Dabo would be concerned with how thin Alabama's D is next weekend? That would also be no!

Oct 11, 2018, 11:57 AM

What do you mean by sound like an old grump, don't beat around the bush and tell it like it is. I don't have a clue of his age to call him an old grump even though that is how it sounds, but he is and has always been be a Negative Nancy on this board!!!

Cause this is 'Merica, Leftie

Oct 10, 2018, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Now take your #### back to the other side of them mountains over towards the 'left' coast. Pronto!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mommy's calling, Leftie. Your nose needs wiping.******

Oct 10, 2018, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Re: why do we care how thin is Alabama's D getting?

Oct 10, 2018, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Because nobody talks about Bama's flaws. They are the undisputed #1. No one even asks about their SoS.

The ESPN college football page is currently headlined something like "The 6 Amazing Stats Behind Alabama's Record-Breaking Offense".

Saban challenges writers to be critical. Seems like they think he's bluffing.

Oct 11, 2018, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

All of that is true but this is Football message board. The topics are not necessarily in order of most immediate importance but rather just for fun. Everyone is trying to find a weakness in Alabama’s game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coot getting all mad about facts bout Bama.***

Oct 11, 2018, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2018, 2:46 PM

The Chad actually worked their defense pretty good . Once they get into a team that can play some stout defense we will see where they are .
Odd year for them , decent defensively and outstanding on the offensive side ... well at least in the passing game anyhow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

Interesting. 'Bama's D and run not quite as strong as in the past. Weren't those the two biggest reasons they won five national titles?

Oct 10, 2018, 3:13 PM

The pundits don’t seem worried. Jesse Palmer and Kirk both said last night that this years Alabama team would beat any of their national championship teams.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:23 PM

Excellent analysis. Every year talking heads who are supposed to get paid to do good analysis lean more towards sensationalist prognostication. Then they act completely surprised when facts dictate results.

They say, "defense wins championships!", then they completely forget the meaning of the words and jump on the offensive band wagon of teams from the Big 12. As we have all seen all offensive teams that run into good defenses do not perform as well. Who would have predicted that?

This season will play out as:the team with the best defense that also has a balanced offense (can run and pass) will win the national championship. Why, because that is what happens every year.

I am definitely biased. As long as Clemson keeps progressing on both sides of the ball at the rate they have been they are the smart money. They have the best defense. When TL learns to dump the ball to his 3rd read prior to being sacked. And receivers and QB lean to identify blitz and check down to routes in the second level behind the strong side blitz Clemson will become unbeatable. Every opposing D coordinator does the same thing disguised in different rush schemes. Some is on the O line, but most is just recognition and committing to dumping the ball to the running back or slot receiver over the middle of the field.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:53 PM

The pundits play all sides, only concerned with ratings, not in depth analysis. BTW, I agree. The analysis was excellent.

They can’t sustain a lot of injuries

Oct 10, 2018, 3:30 PM

But then again, who can? I can tell you right now they might be inexperienced but Surtain and McKinney are studs that I would’ve loved to see playing for the good guys. They were thin at LB last year too and it didn’t work out so well for us.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:34 PM

Until they stop scoring 60 points a game, it doesn’t matter much.

Oct 10, 2018, 3:55 PM

Will be interesting to see how they do against LSPU, Mississippi Snake and AW-BURN.

They'll probably heal up and be full go for the playoff

Oct 10, 2018, 3:57 PM

Just resting everyone during the season.

Oct 10, 2018, 4:02 PM

doesn't matter. there aren't many offenses including the tiger offense can not keep pace with Tua and co.

Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting?***

Oct 10, 2018, 4:04 PM

Oct 10, 2018, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

there aren't many offenses including the tiger offense can not keep pace with Tua and co.

So with the double negative, are you saying that we CAN'T NOT keep up with them?

That means that we can. You know that, right?

Oct 10, 2018, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

Thank you for the compliment pup

Oct 10, 2018, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

The rankings of the defenses they've played.

Yawn.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2018, 7:26 PM

They did hang 45 on A&M which is ranked 23.

I think our D could hold them to around 25 to 30.

If we play them the offense will need to score 30 for sure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 7:11 AM

Mond threw 2 costly picks, too, including one on his own 30 less than one minute into the game. One play later, boom, A&M trailed 7-0 :55 seconds into the game after having received the opening kick.

In fact, we have given them 5 TO in the 3 games we've played. If we could make them drive the length of the field, like they do to us, we would stand a much better chance.

They average THIRTY SIX more yards than us per game

Oct 10, 2018, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Re: How thin is Alabama's D getting? ]

and we are also the ONLY team in the country to have a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense. Just because nutlickers do not have the ability to beat them, does not mean that we do not.

Oh, and that 36 came with us having an experiment at QB, and experiment that has been solved. I will bet that we have better offensive numbers by the end of the year than they do.

I've said all along that they can be beat.

Oct 10, 2018, 4:14 PM

Yeah, they're big, they're fast, etc.... but they always manage to lose a game. I agree, this year in particular, they are vulnerable defensively, at least more so than usual.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Unfortunately this year they got that "O"

Oct 10, 2018, 5:03 PM

Tua a real playmaker!

The ONLY D they've played was TAMU... Yet to be seen.***

Oct 10, 2018, 6:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Until someone stops their O

Oct 10, 2018, 6:20 PM

it doesn't matter how thin their D is compared to previous Bama Ds

Looking back at it

Oct 11, 2018, 6:41 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately this year they got that "O" ]

I can't fathom why Tagovailoa rode the pine for most of last year. I was never impressed with Hurts, much like Bryant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Oct 10, 2018, 7:34 PM

Great stuff. Mizzou will put them to the test this weekend. Doubt they will stop Bama much but their O should be able to score. It will be interesting to see if Auburn and LSU's D can slow the Bama O down any. I do not seem them scoring more than 24 points on us if that. Idc who the QB is if our O plays solid we can make it very very hard for any team to score on us. I know Bama is very good but I'm not going to say they are in a class of their own like the media. A&M played them well for most of the game and showed teams can score on them. I want to see them against a solid D on the road.

Oct 12, 2018, 1:09 AM

I'm interested to see how Mizzou's offense fares as well. If they score 30+ I'll say Bama's D is definitely vulnerable to us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't you basically say the exact same thing last year

Oct 11, 2018, 8:06 AM

before Bama went on to win the playoff?

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Ah yes, I found it...

Oct 11, 2018, 8:28 AM

quozzel

Last year (almost to the exact day) you declared:

"In the Playoff Era, Alabama pretty much is standing alone on a pile of slain corpses, having thoroughly pounded the life out of their opponents. The programs they're playing week in and week out are empty husks, shells of what they were...and for the most part they're coached by clowns on seats so scorching they might well catch fire and explode at any moment."

"So if - IF - we can right the ship and address our issues, I don't really fear Bama. You don't win national titles being the Harlem Globetrotters in a conference full of Washington Generals and that's what the SEC has been reduced to."

So let's assess what's happening here Q, one year ago you declared the SEC was weak and that Bama was the Harlem Globetrotters in a conference full of Washington Generals so they weren't battle tested. And the result...they went on to win the playoffs AGAINST ANOTHER SEC TEAM IN THE FINALS!

360 days later, you declare that Bama is thin at defense and have just run up a ton of points on offense, implying their competition is weak.

Are you learning impaired?

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/IF-we-can-fight-through-this-well-be-better-for-it-1740071

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Ah yes, I found it...

Oct 11, 2018, 9:42 AM

Good God you must be a joy at parties. Their guys healed up, GWP. You know that as well as I do.

I was right, by the way - the Tide didn't even make the SEC Championship Game because they were playing some sorry football down the stretch. They barely squeaked by LSU and Mississippi State and then got beat by Auburn.

THEN they got extended a mulligan by the Playoff Committee, got six weeks off to heal up...and got three LB's back (two starters and a key backup) just in time to play us. I'm still grumpy about that. If you don't win your division title, you don't belong in the playoffs because everybody else is having to play a game more than you are.

So could it happen again? Sure. Diggs might or might not be back - but it's looking like a stress fracture for him, not a clean break. A clean break and he's back in 6 weeks, but stress fractures caused by running take 3 months plus - which means season-ending.

The point is, they've got the same problem - or even a little worse - than they had last year, and it's coming at an even earlier point in the season than it did last year. And if they get any more injuries...well.

As I said, it's worth keeping an eye on. Which it is. And I'm sure you'll be the first here to apologize if their passing D starts looking really suspect, because you're just that kind of stand-up fella.

I don't attend parties because I don't like people

Oct 11, 2018, 10:46 AM

mostly because there are apparently people who talk about how the SEC is dead and declare Bama to be the Harlem Globetrotters in a league full of Washington Generals...you know, in a year where the Harlem Globetrotters didn't even make the SEC Championship Game, the same SEC that was declared dead even though they comprised 50% of the CFP teams and 100% of the CFP national championship game.

By the way, stats are fun. Bama is 12th in scoring defense this year. Combined with their offense and they are the best team in the country.

^^^Coot***

Oct 11, 2018, 2:58 PM

Re: I don't attend parties because I don't like people

Oct 12, 2018, 12:55 AM [ in reply to I don't attend parties because I don't like people ]

Bama only made the CFP in 2017 because Auburn and Wiscondin both lost their CCGs.

The SEC comprised 50% of the CFP because the best B1G representative couldn't win their CCG. Wisconsin's loss opened the back door for Bama.

And If Auburn doesn't lose players to injury in the Iron Bowl, not only do they knock GA out of the CFP by stamping their own ticket in the SECCG, they also would have stamped Ohio St's ticket and blocked Bama's backdoor path. Both Auburn and O31-0 St would have been 2-loss conference champions with identical scenarios and both would have received invitations.

Which is really funny, because we were probably the 4th-best team in the CFP but ranked #1.

If Auburn were healthy, i think they beat us worse than 24-6.

But Bama will always be considered one of the top 4. You can only hope there are 4 others with better qualifications.

Ok, so you agree with me then? Thanks, got it.***

Oct 12, 2018, 11:01 AM

Re: Ok, so you agree with me then? Thanks, got it.***

Oct 12, 2018, 12:16 PM

Nope.

But just like the Selection Committee, you found what you wanted in what I said.

Wis getting knocked out made room for a 4th.
No doubt the SC would have taken a 2-loss Auburn as SEC champ, which would have ushered in O31o St as the 4th with an identical resume (except Auburn's losses were to better teams.)
When GA became the SEC champ, it allowed the SC to skip the protocol of "championships won" and cut straight to "we like Bama more than the Buckeyes" to be the 4th.

No matter how biased they are to the SEC, the SEC will not have 2 teams in the playoff unless the other conferences' contenders fail to take care of business.

So the point of the post was that quozzel

Oct 12, 2018, 12:48 PM

declared last year that Bama is not to be feared because the SEC was dead and that Bama was the Harlem Globetrotters in a conference full of Washington Generals. Yet they lost 1 game and didn't even make it to the SECCG.

All the other stuff you mention Rw43 only serves to prove the point that the SEC was better than quozzel gave them credit for. Not only did the quozzel-declared Harlem Globetrotters not make their own conference championship game, but they proved to be battle tested when they beat the he!l out of us and went on to beat UGA.

You can give all the ifs and buts you want to, but the fact remains that 2 SEC teams made the playoffs and 2 SEC teams made the national championship game.

So yes, you agreed with me and proved my point. I didn't need the help, but I do appreciate it.

Great post!

Oct 11, 2018, 1:12 PM

In addition, on the offensive side of the ball, they are yet to face a great defense. It is one thing to score 50-60 points on crappy defenses, and another thing entirely to do it against a top defense (or even a top 25 defense).

Alabama is viewed as unbeatable based on style points and reputation, but in reality, they haven't played anyone so we don't really know how good they are.

Proverbs 16:18

Jennings and Wilson KILLED us last year, I don't care who

Oct 11, 2018, 1:34 PM

they were behind or how long they had to wait...We didn't have an answer for either

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure how many teams can even take advantage of

Oct 11, 2018, 2:49 PM

that. Probably nobody until at least the SECCG. LSU and Auburn don't have the offenses to keep up with Bama even if Bama's defense is merely good and not incredible.

"but it still begs the question: does Alabama this year really have the defense - and especially the defensive depth - of a team that's going to go deep into the postseason?"

Unless somebody really slows down that offense, absolutely. I know they haven't played great defenses (except maybe A&M), but Tua has yet to even throw a pass in the 4th quarter of a game this year and their halftime scores have been absurd. They've scored 41, 28, 40, 49, 31, and 49 in the first halves of their six games.

With that kind of offense they can easily survive with a defense that's merely "good."

Great analysis as usual

Oct 11, 2018, 4:23 PM

Having meet Savion at LSU, assuming he hasn't changed, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't with the team at the end of the year. My interactions were brief but what an immature entitled a hole.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't you think Bamas defensive woes could be in part bc of the O, not covered up by it?

Oct 12, 2018, 1:14 AM

They've been a ground amd pound O for a decade. Now they score in 2 plays. BV is like the only DC to successfully maintain a top 10 D with an uptempo O (if we still have that).

I also think there issues at DB are similar to ours. We're paper thin, but we're not sliding 5*s into fill the spots. I like whp we have, bit depth hasn't been there.

null

Goodrich and McMichael were both highly rated.

Oct 12, 2018, 6:14 AM

They've both had busts, but they've also both had more good plays than bad. Promising start for both.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic