Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Spurrier first got the job, he tried to hire Brad Scott
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

When Spurrier first got the job, he tried to hire Brad Scott

Jul 25, 2009, 12:02 AM

and Burton Burns. When they made it public and turned him down, SPurrier said the now infamous, " Somebody's lying". Then, Spurrier tried to hire Chris Rumph, and when that was made public, Spurrier said, " I never even heard of the guy ", " He called down here and said he wanted a job ". Then Garcia keyed a professor's car and SPurrier said, " Garcia didn't even know the kid ". ( Note the repeating pattern) Next, Rodney Paulk said,
" Coach Spurrier told me if I came to South carolina we would never lose to Clemson again" and one year later when they did in fact lose to Clemson again, and the quote resurfaced, Spurrier said, " Rodney Paulk is full of crap ". ( Once again, the somebody's lying response. Somebody, and NOT Spurrier although he is the only common denominator in these scenarios). Next, Spurrier oversigns and when more players are cleared by the NCAA clearing house than South Carolina can admit, the UCS administration comes to the rescue and denies admission to two of said players. Spurrier is EXTREMELY upset that such a eggregious event has occured on his watch.( Remember when Holtz was VIOLENTLY upset). And now, after remaining silent for two days, Spurrier mans up and says," My assistant made a terrible mistake, but I will take full responsibility for his mistake". Now, if you people want to worship the ground this guy walks on, without ever holding him accountable, something he has never done with his players, nor himself, that is your prerogative. But, don't #### down my back and tell me it's raining to steal a phrase. Ya'll have a chump for a coach, who you utterly despised when he was wearing your butts out at Florida, and now you ride his coattails for greatness he achieved elsewhere. And that my feathered friends is a fact!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to bring this to the top.......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When Spurrier first got the job, he tried to hire Brad Scott

Jul 25, 2009, 12:13 AM

i see that the other thread was deleted. hmmmm... someone wasn't winning the argument.

To correct you - Spurrier said publically he tried to hire Burton Burns (to contradict your statement).

He also went after Brad Scott, but it never got far enough to offer him a job.

It's fairly ironic that Spud calls spurrier a liar while

Jul 25, 2009, 12:17 AM

backing up that stance by also telling lies himself.

Weird.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: It's fairly ironic that Spud calls spurrier a liar while

Jul 25, 2009, 12:20 AM

Spud's a pro at making up quotes - and then sort of disappearing.

Both of us have ripped Spurrier and South Carolina plenty of times on here.

I didn't go anywhere. ANd though those quotes may not be

Jul 25, 2009, 12:27 AM

word for word, they state exactly what he did. He, Spurrier, has been caught in so many lies it isn't even funny. And when he called one of his own players a liar, Gamecocks backed him up. But as I remember, many of you thought it was a great quote when Paul originally stated it. I think it was about a year before it blew up in Spurrier's face.

The bottom line to us though, is that Spurrier or no Spurrier, we have won four out of 5 for sometime now, and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon.

You are awesome. I could read your posts all day.***

Jul 25, 2009, 12:28 AM

Me too! Finally, we agree on something.***

Jul 25, 2009, 12:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me too! Finally, we agree on something.***

Jul 25, 2009, 12:36 AM

oh I could read Spud's posts all day as well.

Making up quotes to try to make a point is pretty good entertainment.

Check out Graphic's post below .... maybe you should get

Jul 25, 2009, 12:46 AM

your facts straight before you start calling out Tiger fans on a Tiger Board for misrepresenting the facts.

per the state the job was offered to scott
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 12:38 AM Report Abuse Rate: Reply

UPDATES
12/16/2004
#1: The State confirms the offers were made today and that South Carolina offered Brad Scott a salary of $250,000 a year over a 3 year contract to be offensive line coach, which he refused. Clemson is said to be paying Scott somewhere between $190,000-$200,000 which is a raise from the $157,000 he was already making.

The State also reports that Burton Burns was offered a multi-year deal to be the running back job before Madre Hill was hired but that financial details aren't available from that offer or any counter-offer he accepted from Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

umm, I've already responded to Graphic

Jul 25, 2009, 12:53 AM

Spud said Spurrier said he never offered Burns a job.

I've already quoted Spurrier admitting he offered Burns a job.

I am talking about your claim that Scott was never offered

Jul 25, 2009, 1:00 AM

... nice try though, trying to deflect the main point of the post ...

your coach routinely lies very publicly and when he is made to look silly in the process, routinely throws someone else under the bus ... that's something to crow about: Cock-a-doodle doo.

you

Jul 25, 2009, 1:03 AM

might be on dial up.

I've already responded to that post as well.

You may not understand my points ... you fail to address the

Jul 25, 2009, 1:19 AM

primary point. See I can post every time you do to.

Re: You may not understand my points ... you fail to address the

Jul 25, 2009, 7:23 AM

I've addressed some 3-4 times now. YOu just either ignore it- or find satisfaction in repeating the same post.

That's rich. You think you always have to have the last word***

Jul 25, 2009, 1:16 PM

That is it in a nutshell, No pun intended.***

Jul 25, 2009, 1:17 AM [ in reply to I am talking about your claim that Scott was never offered ]

I could to. He is dead on most of the time!***

Jul 25, 2009, 6:55 AM [ in reply to You are awesome. I could read your posts all day.*** ]

just not this time.***

Jul 25, 2009, 7:25 AM

Re: I didn't go anywhere. ANd though those quotes may not be

Jul 25, 2009, 12:31 AM [ in reply to I didn't go anywhere. ANd though those quotes may not be ]

not only is the quote not even close to word for word- it is 100% wrong.

Spurrier - and I have quoted him- offerd Burton Burns a job.

He also talked about Brad Scott. But he did say he never offered him a job - because it didn't get that far (which makes perfect sense that it wouldn't).

Spurrier has done many stupid things in my book and there are quotes out there to prove it.

But pulling ones out that aren't true isn't worth anything.

Re: I didn't go anywhere. ANd though those quotes may not be

Jul 25, 2009, 12:32 AM [ in reply to I didn't go anywhere. ANd though those quotes may not be ]

"The bottom line to us though, is that Spurrier or no Spurrier, we have won four out of 5 for sometime now, and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon. "

Really? That is breaking news right there. I'm shocked at this relevation.

Somehow I missed where we were discussing this.

LOL***

Jul 25, 2009, 12:35 AM

We are always discussing this,

Jul 25, 2009, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Re: I didn't go anywhere. ANd though those quotes may not be ]

It is just some how you all try to justify it and tell us why it will change. At the end of the day though, we own you and that is all that we need to say. End of story! Game, set, match...

I'm not discussing it - nor was I discussing it

Jul 25, 2009, 7:24 AM

Clemson's football program is obviously better than South Carolina's.

But of course that wasn't the topic that was being discussed tonight- except for those wanting to try to change the subject instead of sticking to that topic.

Re: I'm not discussing it - nor was I discussing it

Jul 25, 2009, 9:48 AM

Tymick! I pointed you for that. This is one time you are absolutely right. "CLEMSON" is better than the Shamecocks.
"WELL SAID" I think you finally got it!!!

per the state the job was offered to scott

Jul 25, 2009, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: When Spurrier first got the job, he tried to hire Brad Scott ]

UPDATES
12/16/2004
#1: The State confirms the offers were made today and that South Carolina offered Brad Scott a salary of $250,000 a year over a 3 year contract to be offensive line coach, which he refused. Clemson is said to be paying Scott somewhere between $190,000-$200,000 which is a raise from the $157,000 he was already making.

The State also reports that Burton Burns was offered a multi-year deal to be the running back job before Madre Hill was hired but that financial details aren't available from that offer or any counter-offer he accepted from Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: per the state the job was offered to scott

Jul 25, 2009, 12:45 AM

Thanks for making my point on Burns - since Spud said Spurrier denied that Burton was ever offered.

oh, don't celebrate toooo fast

Jul 25, 2009, 12:48 AM

WYFF-TV in Greenville reports that Spurrier claims that no flat-out offer was made and that he talked to both coaches. The report indicated that Spurrier also implied that he was approached first by one of the coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nah - I'm celebrating. Spud

Jul 25, 2009, 12:52 AM

said Spurrier said he never offered Burns a job.

Spurrier said. “One guy — Burton Burns — was offered the job here"

you reading same quote...no offer made talked with both?

Jul 25, 2009, 12:53 AM

WYFF-TV in Greenville reports that Spurrier claims that no flat-out offer was made and that he talked to both coaches. The report indicated that Spurrier also implied that he was approached first by one of the coaches.

Re: you reading same quote...no offer made talked with both?

Jul 25, 2009, 12:55 AM

I posted the quote from Spurrier where he admitted he offered Burton Burns.

from my understanding and reading, spurrier denied

Jul 25, 2009, 12:59 AM

he offered rumph, scott and burns, but later changed it that he only offered burns because burns called about the job

all 3 stayed in clemson until burns left for bama

Re: from my understanding and reading, spurrier denied

Jul 25, 2009, 1:02 AM

He may have denied all 3 at one time. Coaches do deny talking to other coaches about jobs- and many of them talk to coaches all the time. It sort of saves face for one, or both of them.

But if Spurrier came out and 2 something years ago and said he did in fact offer Burns a job- which he did do- I'm wondering why Spud didn't say that. oh well.

yeah, we used to have a coach that called coaches

Jul 25, 2009, 1:03 AM

after they whipped his ###

LOL

Re: yeah, we used to have a coach that called coaches

Jul 25, 2009, 1:09 AM

well, at least he was willing to learn.

I know a former offensive line coach or two at South Carolina that should have been calling every coach in the country for advice.

it was a little toooo late for ours to be calling for advice

Jul 25, 2009, 1:11 AM

what amazed me were the so called schools that were calling spence.

not sure what they saw

Re: it was a little toooo late for ours to be calling for advice

Jul 25, 2009, 1:12 AM

I saw all I wanted to see of Spence to - but for different reasons than you.

He kept beating us.

man that must suck knowing spence owned your team

Jul 25, 2009, 1:17 AM

of course you know, he'll set all kinds of records at Syr and people around nation will wonder why dabo fired him.

just my teams luck

Re: man that must suck knowing spence owned your team

Jul 25, 2009, 7:25 AM

well,

it wasn't just thim that owned us.

If I took it all that serious- it probably would suck.

Thank you. That is exactly what I stated. I don't belive the

Jul 25, 2009, 12:55 AM [ in reply to oh, don't celebrate toooo fast ]

State paper stated that Spurrier said the offer was ever made. Thus, I seem to recall the first instance of " Somebody's lying".

Re: Thank you. That is exactly what I stated. I don't belive the

Jul 25, 2009, 12:57 AM

Spurrier denies Rumph rumors
Ballcoach not trying to hire Clemson assistant
By JOSEPH PERSON
jperson@thestate.com

Spurrier talked to Clemson offensive line coach and former USC coach Brad Scott two years ago about a position on his first Gamecocks’ staff. But Spurrier said he has offered a job to just one Clemson assistant — former running backs coach Burton Burns, who left last month for Alabama.

Interesting that you fail to note he proved you wrong about

Jul 25, 2009, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: per the state the job was offered to scott ]

Spurrier never offering Scott a job ....

"He also went after Brad Scott, but it never got far enough to offer him a job."

Re: Interesting that you fail to note he proved you wrong about

Jul 25, 2009, 12:55 AM

I have no problem at all admitting I was wrong about Coach Scott.

Although that doesn't make sense to me that it got as far as talking money to Coach Scott. But it's very possible. No problem admitting it.

IMO this latest episode is not bad compared to some of

Jul 25, 2009, 12:19 AM

the others. Calling into question the honesty of other people -- Clemson coaches, Rodney Paulk, and the professor ("kid") whose car was keyed, is worse. The time he called his defensive coordinator on the carpet during a press conference wasn't cool either.

Re: IMO this latest episode is not bad compared to some of

Jul 25, 2009, 12:21 AM

Spud can't even get his story straight.

He says Spurrier said he never offered Burton Burns a job. Baloney. Spurrier admitted it and I posted the quotes on another thread not 20 mins ago- and then the thread disappeared.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic