Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As far as the Battle incident....Here's an old timer's take.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 89
| visibility 1

As far as the Battle incident....Here's an old timer's take.

Sep 21, 2013, 8:38 AM

It has to be the position of the head coach that," We conduct ourselves as sportsman on the field". But, it also has to be an unwritten rule that," We will not be punked on the field!Ever." I will just about bet the farm, that behind closed doors, one of our coaches said," Boys, he knocked that punk flat on his ###!!". Last year, when Ellington got shown up by Swearinger, how many of you were embarrased that the rest of the team took it. No one came to his defense. Heck, Ellington didn't even come to his own defense!! As an older fan, who was here in the 70's and 80's, I promise you, NO ONE would have done that to them. The Wake team that in the 90's motioned us to "COME ON DOWN THE HILL" would have never done that in the 80's when we had guys like Bubba Brown, Randy Scott, JD,The Bostic Brothers,Arthur Bussie,Ray Williams( Who personally adusted a Maryland player's attitude one year). I had an ex player this week tell me that if someone had mouthed of to Andy Headen that way, that Andy would STILL be in jail!So,in my opinion, you have to take the bad with the good. To garner respect, occasionally you may have to reestablish THE LINE. Battle did that Thursday night!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1.***

Sep 21, 2013, 8:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As far as the Battle incident....Here's an old timer's take.

Sep 21, 2013, 8:42 AM

there are ways and there are ways. Handle it in the course of play not in the open filed when every sees what you do.

As far as Andy he was one of our best and was doing the same in the NFL till injuries cut his career short. Phenomenal talent

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed!

Sep 21, 2013, 8:42 AM

Point for you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Totally agree! Let's move on.***

Sep 22, 2013, 11:27 PM

Re: I had the same concern when the UGA player

Sep 21, 2013, 8:44 AM

lifted HotRod and body slammed him.

That was Jordan Jenkins

Sep 22, 2013, 3:07 PM

He also knocked a female Tiger Band member off her feet when the UGA players came to the bottom of the hill.
One of the band directors punched him and cussed out a few of the coaches.

Exactly ! Some folks don't understand this.***

Sep 21, 2013, 8:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2013, 8:50 AM

Ask Ricky Hunt about punching out Len Elmore...ask Randy Mahaffey about punching out Billy Packer. Ask Bowden about when he was Duke they would come to the valley in 2 busses and leave in 2 busses and 3 ambulances. Ask the cluckers who got beat up in the valley I think it was 2004. Probably the kid pushed the wrong button with Battle...even Red Parker said he needed players so mean he wanted to bail them out of jail before kickoff...I am old school and think intimidation is part of winning

Sep 22, 2013, 8:26 PM

I remember in the old North-South doubleheader in Charlotte one night we were playing UNC. For some reason in Charlotte the benches were under one basket and when a timeout was called, one of the UNC players mouthed off, Randy Mahaffey and several others cleaned house on the unc bench and amazingly no one got ejected.
Are you sure it was Randy that slugged Packer? Thought he was gone before Randy came to Clemson Probably Tommy or Donnie.

Little punk ran his mouth and got shut up

Sep 21, 2013, 8:54 AM

this whole pussification of America really grinds my gears

take away his participation trophy.***

Sep 21, 2013, 9:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

But if the boys act like that...

Sep 21, 2013, 8:55 AM

the girls will never get to play in the games with them. What's the world coming to if we allow men to be men and refuse to allow women to be men with them?

I just get all touchy/feely about this. I need a good cry, I think I'll feel better after I get in touch with my innerself.

signed
guys who forfeited their mancard for political correctness

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be careful saying stuff like this...

Sep 21, 2013, 9:00 AM

learntoread is swinging his purse and I swear he's got ball bearings in there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Sep 21, 2013, 8:56 AM

Y'all are gonna be dizzy from all this spinning. It was a dirty play and cheap shot, no matter how many stories from the 70's you tell.

Your wife wears Lane Bryant pajamas.***

Sep 21, 2013, 9:04 AM

Ohhhh snap! I know you didn't! Friggin' burned

Sep 22, 2013, 4:09 PM

him! That's got to sting. Good stuff sir! LMAO! +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big friggin deal. He barley grazed him with that punch.

Sep 21, 2013, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: As far as the Battle incident....Here's an old timer's take. ]

I didn't see his head rocked backward and his helmet fly off, like I was hoping.

Sep 21, 2013, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: As far as the Battle incident....Here's an old timer's take. ]

for all who think they saw a cheap shot look at the replay , I saw Battle motion the guy off and he kept coming and got in his face, someone tell me what he said to Battle that made him that angry then I will say wheather it was a cheap shot or not,SHOW ME BOTH SIDES OF THE INCIDENT,and how it got started, everyone even the coaches talk about how CLEMSON gets pushed around, when someone has the GUTS to stand up for himself, ALL I HEAR IS HOW DIRTY THIS GUY IS,INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO ALL THOSE CLEMSON HATERS YOU NEED TO START STANDING UP FOR OUR MEN...........UNTIL YOU GET ALL THE FACTS........

There was nothing cheap about it...

Sep 21, 2013, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: As far as the Battle incident....Here's an old timer's take. ]

Obviously, you don't have much fighting experience or knowledge. You never let someone know "hey, I'm abt to hit you.". You just do it...

Amen Spud! Glad someone gets it!***

Sep 21, 2013, 8:58 AM

One day at practice, Coleman walked by and I said to him,

Sep 21, 2013, 9:06 AM

" The Tennessee Vols Smacker!!". You should have seen his Gold Tooth beaming....

One day at practice, Coleman walked by and I said to him,

Sep 21, 2013, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Amen Spud! Glad someone gets it!*** ]

" The Tennessee Vols Smacker!!". You should have seen his Gold Tooth beaming....

Haha, a Coleman fan would....***

Sep 21, 2013, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Amen Spud! Glad someone gets it!*** ]

Every word you say is truth........

Sep 21, 2013, 9:02 AM

there was a total change in attitude by the Clemson football program and, equally as noticeable, by the Clemson fan base. Towards the middle and end of the '70's, it obvious that Clemson had begun to recruit more talented players. We may not have been getting the big playmakers on offense, but we were getting talent along the lines, at linebacker and defensive backs.

Clemson fans had grown tired of "hearing it" (for lack of more graphic terms) from opposing fans throughout the late 60's and early '70's and adopted an attitude that matched the toughness of their team. Opposing fans needed to leave their loud mouths and profane swagger at the gates---or risk the consequences. Clemson fans remained the most hospitable group on the trail, but insulting rudeness of opposition fans was rarely tolerated. The oft-lamented "Hootie Era" was over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2013, 9:03 AM

There's a limit to what we should take,... totally agree. There's also a limit to how we should respond, (otherwise we get tagged as a team of thugs like Miami in the 80's-90's).
My opinion is that Battle is an example of an improper response,... Andy Headen's hit on the Nebraska receiver in the Orange Bowl, by contrast, is an example of a proper means to establish respect.
A fine line there, and the coaches are challenged to draw a hard line to make sure it's not exceeded too far either way.

did your coaches

Sep 21, 2013, 9:10 AM

OK. When did I defend them??

Turn the tables NCSt lineman upper cuts Clemson db.... now what??

I would say the Clemson DB shouldn't mouth off

Sep 21, 2013, 9:12 AM

To someone bigger than him and not expect consequences. I would have also expected a Clemson teammate to come to his defense instead of just pointing at the offending player.

Depends. If the Clemson player was a little bitc# and mouthing off

Sep 21, 2013, 9:15 AM [ in reply to did your coaches ]

all night, then maybe they would have deserved it.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

lol

Sep 21, 2013, 9:17 AM

Again. Donty get to dizzy with all this spinning. Show me anyone that's not a Clemson fan that shares the logic in this thread. What did the guy say to Battle, since everyone here knows.

i keep hearing "all night"

Sep 21, 2013, 9:18 AM

Did Battle even play the whole game? Start?

My post above

Sep 21, 2013, 9:20 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14357602

Re: I kept hearing "all night" too

Sep 21, 2013, 9:23 AM [ in reply to i keep hearing "all night" ]

from your mom.

Re: i keep hearing "all night"

Sep 21, 2013, 9:29 AM [ in reply to i keep hearing "all night" ]

A) why r u on this board since it is intended for Clemson fans? Anyone who can read can see that.
B) why do u care?
C) as a high school running back when someone reached for my privates in pile I came up swinging. Stil do. Point is, may not b the best response but a response nonetheless. Until now battle has not been a problem on or off field. My guess is kid said something about his momma that required a response.
D) fail to see the relevance in whether he started or played the whole game.
E) go get on a board where people might like u n learn to read.

Well if we follow your logic we should expect a lot of

Sep 21, 2013, 9:24 AM

players proving they are the badder a**es on the field and being suspended routinely. All a team would have to do is taunt and push until Battle or the next guy throws the punch. That's football. It isn't just about making the better plays one-on-one, it's about getting into the other guy's head too. So, if it's okay to throw the punch and dance around like you are ready for some action, expect a lot of benched guys. They'll be the toughest SOBs out there in your book, just not playing all the time....

Re: Well if we follow your logic we should expect a lot of

Sep 21, 2013, 9:27 AM

Excellent. We could have a goon squad. Substitute them all in at once just to knock the crap of the other team on the next play. I like it.

I'm starting to think people would like to see MMA merger

Sep 21, 2013, 9:28 AM

Bring some extra skills to the gridiron!

Nah, he was just putting someone in his place

Sep 21, 2013, 9:39 AM

Try playing ice hockey where the drive to establish physical dominance is based on fighting. It's part of the game. Plus you get to carry a stick! lol

Hockey fights aren't all real - so you want that in FB too?

Sep 21, 2013, 9:47 AM

We all know some fights are real especially when two guys spill a lot of blood. Some are just setups.

I'd rather see some pushing, shoving, and late hit penalties in FB for retaliation than the hockey style fighting...c'mon.

Missed the point****

Sep 21, 2013, 10:26 AM

nm

Re: He did play...I was trying to find the chart that shows how

Sep 21, 2013, 9:24 AM

Then why didn't all the guys upper cut him of he was talking to all of them.. not man enough like Battle?

Quick Question Learn

Sep 21, 2013, 9:29 AM

How does it feel to know that your teams best opportunity to actually win something (last season) ended up with an Outback Bowl victory. You will never have 2 players the caliber of Clowney and Lattimore on the same team again, but you couldn't get it done, and then barely beat a mediocre Michigan team. I mean, I would be pretty depressed, I kind of feel bad for you, especially now that Tennessee is killing you in recruiting again. You'll be back to battling it out with Vandy for 5th in the SEC east again in no time.

Re: Quick Question Learn

Sep 21, 2013, 9:35 AM

OK. Good point. That mediocre team beat Clemson at home with a back up qb and 4th string rb

Oh, the irony, it's really too much

Sep 21, 2013, 9:38 AM

I said South Carolina had there best team ever, and still only beat a mediocre Michigan team....learntoread

Ahh, crap, their not there***

Sep 21, 2013, 9:39 AM

s l o w

Sep 21, 2013, 9:32 AM

Provoked how?? Smack talk??Clemson was smack talking last year too, for the first half anyway. It happens every freaking game. Flexing and an upper cut isn't apples to apples. Maybe DJ should have kicked him.. keep spinning..

Remember when LSU provoked Quarles

Sep 21, 2013, 9:36 AM

Into throwing a punch in the first defensive series by playing hard...that was awesome.

Re: Remember when LSU provoked Quarles

Sep 21, 2013, 9:38 AM

Yes I do. That was stupid on his part and a cheap move. I remember the scrutiny he got on this board. Why different for Battle? Was the LSU guy not talking enough trash so he didnt deserve it like the ncst guy?

First, Quarles played the rest of the game

Sep 21, 2013, 9:41 AM

Second, maybe you should spend less time on your rivals board if your feelings get hurt so easily.

Re: First, Quarles played the rest of the game

Sep 21, 2013, 9:45 AM

my feelings are not hurt. just laughing at the spin job that's all

good point

Sep 21, 2013, 9:42 AM

Comedian on the side Bob?

Yep I'm in Vegas for a couple of shows over the weekend.

Sep 21, 2013, 9:46 AM

You seem a little tense...might be good for you to get out of your parents' basement and have a little fun. I'll see if I can get a coupla free tix for you.

that's very nice of you bob; i see you're here to help also.***

Sep 21, 2013, 10:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was only 2 hits

Sep 21, 2013, 9:53 AM

Battle hit him, he hit the ground

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll say it. I wish one of our boys punched Jungle Boi

Sep 21, 2013, 10:28 AM

after that incident in November.

There's something in these hills.

At least he cares.

Sep 22, 2013, 8:35 PM

It's not like our coaches were over there fighting on the sidelines or something.

And sometimes you just have to tighten a M*^%@#-%@#$@# up.

Re: I bet Swearinger must not like Cousin Bruce Elington.***

Sep 22, 2013, 6:17 AM

Re: No one says a thing about Byrd(punchee) is a 5th year SR

Sep 22, 2013, 6:22 AM

He's a punk for running his mouth at his age and experience. Battle held is own against LSU when he had to stand in as back up. Battle has a huge upside.

Another old timers take:

Sep 22, 2013, 7:04 AM

You become "unpunked" by winning the dammn game, not with stupid 15 yard penalties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only problem is...after the ejection, does he get to

Sep 22, 2013, 7:19 AM

play in the next game?

Sep 22, 2013, 8:53 AM

You are right, nothing to be added to your point, except, one name that I remember from that era, Danny Triplett!! Someone would have taken Swearinger out!!!

Byrd was in

Sep 22, 2013, 11:19 AM

Boyds face on the VERY FIRST play of the game. Byrd was on his #### on the VERY LAST play of the game. None of us know for sure what happened in between .... but I have a very good idea and you do too. If you are going to talk s^%( all night be ready for the consequences.

what worries me, is i agree 100% with you. and that is a

Sep 22, 2013, 4:13 PM

very scary thought!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DUANE COLEMAN

Sep 22, 2013, 11:17 AM

comes to mind...when he punched one of the Tennessee players at the coin toss for the Peach Bowl will always be a favorite memory of the tuffness of a Tiger Team. I'd love to know what the guy said to Duane...musta' been bad cause the Ref's didn't kick Duane out of the game .

I've never played college ball but in high school we skull f'd anyone who disrespected us on the field....a gang of player on one dude changes his 'tude !

I like the way you think****

Sep 22, 2013, 11:20 AM

nm

Speaking of favorite memories.... I remember Coach Ford

Sep 22, 2013, 12:17 PM

helping with a little dust up right in front of the student section when I was there.

Nobody messed with us.

You must be an 80's kid...I remember the same thing!***

Sep 22, 2013, 2:51 PM

Yes ma'am.... Student during the 'swagger days' ....

Sep 23, 2013, 7:52 AM

Remember when Fla St thought they were cute and rushed out like 25 to the coin toss and talked smack....and our entire team came out and lined midfield ? Then laid the smackdown on them in Tallyhussie !

Sep 22, 2013, 2:27 PM

I Agree. Now lets translate that fight to the field

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry JD...did you say something ?***

Sep 23, 2013, 7:53 AM

yes yes yes

Sep 22, 2013, 2:49 PM

point.

its a football field..

Sep 22, 2013, 2:53 PM

players are going to talk.if battle wants to fight.go join ufc or get into boxing.punching someone just for talking doesnt show toughness it shows no discipline

There is a reason

Sep 22, 2013, 2:58 PM

NO ONE looked forward to playing us in the eighties ....

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

we are getting closer to being like we were in the '80's, do

Sep 22, 2013, 4:24 PM

y'all want it or not ? looks to me like you want the wins, without the attitude needed to accomplish the undefeated seasons. before you say look at last year, remember battle was on the team, then,too, and that was our best year in decades. we can be an competitive top 25 team and uphold every standard as far as conduct, or we can show a little attitude - AND I DON'T MEAN OUTSIDE THE NCAA RULES-and a fisticuff is just a game situation and a personal foul with MAYBE a game suspension (how can it only be 1 guy when it takes 2 to do it), not an ncaa violation.so, which is it?

People like you are a disgrace as well

Sep 22, 2013, 8:27 PM

On that field of play, there is NEVER a good reason to punch someone. I don't care what they said or did. It's thug mentalities like yours, Sweringer's and Isaiah's that bring dishonor and shame to our players, coaches, school and to sports in general. The message I'm sure he got from Dabo behind closed doors was "Be a man. A man of honor."

As a former Clemson student-athlete, I can tell you there was NOTHING noble, honorable, manly or acceptable about what this kid did. And to glorify him, or men of generations past for these actions just shows how old, out of touch, and incompetent you (and anyone who agrees with you) must be.

A man - a real man - isn't determined by his actions, but by how RE-acts to the unfortunate situations around him. Isaiah Battle, at this point in his life, is no man at all. And from your post, despite your apparent age (and despite your posts' multiple thumbs ups) neither are you, spud. Or should I call you "dud?"

Goodnight, and may God be with any children you may have raised under these principals.

Are you always this big of a jerk?

Sep 22, 2013, 8:41 PM

Spud is a well-respected, long-time member of Tnet.

Just because his opinion differs from yours doesn't mean you have the right to resort to name calling.

Ironic that you post something like this while chastising Battle for his action.

So you want to people to raise their kids to

Sep 22, 2013, 9:27 PM [ in reply to People like you are a disgrace as well ]

Just 'take it' instead of defend themselves? Sometimes PUNKS need to be put in their place. Maybe that punk learned something too, to shut the #### up. Battle didn't punch him for no reason, I think we all know that.

And what is the reason he punched him?

Sep 22, 2013, 10:58 PM

I've pretty much stopped paying attention to this story. Judging by the post below, is "the guy spit on Battle" the story that is going around? Has Battle said this?

If you spit in my face

Sep 22, 2013, 10:52 PM [ in reply to People like you are a disgrace as well ]

I'm going to uppercut you.

At least he cares.

Sep 22, 2013, 8:36 PM

It's not like our coaches were over there fighting on the sidelines or something.

And sometimes you just have to tighten a M*^%@#-%@#$@# up.

Re: At least he cares.

Sep 22, 2013, 8:41 PM

And sometimes you have to do what's best for the team and turn around and walk back to the huddle!

As a "youngster" I completely agree.

Sep 22, 2013, 9:22 PM

You put it perfectly!

100% disagree old timer

Sep 22, 2013, 9:50 PM

Think Miami Hurricanes of old. Classic street mentality. Not interested in that here. Little DB mouths off you knock his head off next play, not sucker punch him. Classless, punk move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who's the punk if there's no repercussions?

Sep 22, 2013, 9:53 PM

Battle was just defending his ground. What would you do? Negotiate? The pussification of America, I tell ya...

Battle's a yank from Brooklyn

Sep 22, 2013, 10:57 PM [ in reply to 100% disagree old timer ]

Things are very black and white with yanks. If they don't like you they're going to be very direct with their message. That's why they make such great friends.

how often does an o-lineman get the actual chance to hit

Sep 23, 2013, 6:12 AM [ in reply to 100% disagree old timer ]

a d-back, in the course of a game (not talking punch), unless you maybe ask their coach to call a corner blitz, or throw him an int.
and if he did spit in anybodies face, he deserves more than what he got!

Hell yes!!! F all the puswahs***

Sep 22, 2013, 9:51 PM

The only person I could tell being a punk was Battle.

Sep 22, 2013, 10:55 PM

He pushed the State player first. He walked off and motioned to him. Then the St. player came up to him and Battle took a cheap shot. How anyone is defending his actions is remarkable....and he has 61 points and counting for that rant. Pretty sad to see.

Wish I could give you 61 points for that post!

Sep 22, 2013, 11:19 PM

ANYONE agreeing that "standing your ground" means violence is incredibly stupid, and a thug. Unreal the idiocy on this board. Glad none of them work for me.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Enough of this. Kick butt and take names!

Sep 22, 2013, 11:34 PM

I don't want this, but I feel there has been an over reaction. One game suspension as per the rules, and let's move on.

Replies: 89
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic