Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why'd we lose? It seems simple enough.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Why'd we lose? It seems simple enough.

Nov 27, 2011, 9:41 AM

Nothing exotic happened this year, or the last two years before that. We simply got whipped, physically, up front. The Gamecocks seemed stronger, faster, and better-conditioned. Their athletes, especially their big guys, looked leaner, better-conditioned, without the ponderous heavy feet or outsized guts of our guys.

Also, our guys seemed to be breaking down, physically. This time of year we're always plagued by a laundry list of nagging injuries. Our guys collectively limped around and looked like shells of their early-season selves. The Gamecocks did not. We have zero quality depth. If a starter goes down the drop-off between he and his replacement is usually like falling off a cliff. The Gamecocks just plug in the next guy and regardless of recruiting accolades or rating he gets it done.

Our QB's haven't had any time to throw. Our OL can't open lanes. Contrariwise, despite the fact that the Gamecocks were missing their leading rusher and leading OT, they ran the ball pretty well. Certainly they had the better of it on both sides of the LOS.

What's the common thread? Three years ago the Gamecocks completely revamped their strength and conditioning program, bringing in this guy from Harvard:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fitzgerald_craig00.html

The results have been right there on the field in front of us. Joey Batson's guys are getting physically manhandled. How anybody could even remotely argue this anymore is beyond me. Batson's methods simply aren't working anymore.

Modern athletics has changed quite a bit. In particular S&C has changed quite a bit. The emphasis now is on sports-specific development, on FUNCTIONAL football strength, on agility as opposed to bulk and heavy weights. To the new school of guys - and this includes Alabama - it doesn't matter how much a guy benches, lying flat on his back, because you're really not supposed to train your football players to lie flat on their backs while playing. What matters is how well your player moves his feet, how much force he can develop with his leveraged motion, how well he can bend his knees...you get the idea.

The Gamecocks do this well. We do it terribly. For years the knock on Clemson players entering the NFL - and this includes Ricky Sapp, Barry Richardson, and DaQuan Bowers - has been a lack of "functional football strength".

The proof is in the pudding. The proof is right there on the field. We've been dramatically passed in the S&C department and it is killing us, particularly late in the season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SCar looks like grown men. Noticed that the last 3 years.***

Nov 27, 2011, 9:44 AM

Re: Why'd we lose? It seems simple enough.

Nov 27, 2011, 9:58 AM

Yea its definitely time for new blood there. No matter how good he is, sometimes you just need a change.

Nov 27, 2011, 9:59 AM

I didn't even read your post. The answer is Kevin Steele

Kevin Steele isn't the reason our OL can't knock anyone off.

Nov 27, 2011, 11:18 AM

...the ball.

And hasn't been able to for over 10 years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Re: Kevin Steele isn't the reason our OL can't knock anyone off.

Nov 27, 2011, 11:37 AM

no he isn't,but he's certainly responsible for the lack of tackling on the defense's part!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Kevin Steele isn't the reason our OL can't knock anyone off.

Nov 27, 2011, 11:38 AM

you have a very good point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

not necessarily -- Dabo's practice philosophy plays a part

Nov 28, 2011, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Kevin Steele isn't the reason our OL can't knock anyone off. ]

as well. Sounds like they don't do enough live tackling in practice.

Couldnt do any worse it seems to me?***

Nov 27, 2011, 10:01 AM

Correct

Nov 27, 2011, 10:57 AM

You get it. I will give you one glaring difference in Clemson and Alabama (not coaches). I didn't see this until I got to see Alabama in person for the 1st time this year at Ole Miss.You can't see this on TV you have to see this in person. Their lower body size and power is way beyond Clemson.

Great Point

Nov 27, 2011, 11:02 AM

It's a whole different dynamic now.

Well said.

Nov 27, 2011, 11:14 AM

nm

Nov 27, 2011, 11:22 AM

Yes you got physically dominated. The real scary realism is USC is no where near ALABAMA or LSU in OL DL strength..Remember the Alabama game a few years ago? Good Luck

Nov 27, 2011, 11:48 AM

You are just as strong as the other teams in the ACC. We have to work harder just to survive the SEC jungle. Steele and Caldwell knows what it takes. Your team just needs t buy into the effort it takes. You need a culture change and quit telling everyone how good they are. look at Alabamas OL. Does Clemson or USC have any studs like Fluker or the Kourango sp. brothers?

Thats BS

Nov 27, 2011, 11:50 AM

We were pushed around all year by ACC teams.

you've nailed what I've been saying for several years

Nov 27, 2011, 11:25 AM

on the head.

very well put.

Our guys simply look physically inferior on the field and I'm sure that most everyone would agree that when you watch us, we appear to "look" slow on the field, particularly on defense (where you'd notice this more). I'm not talking about sprinting speed from our skill players, I'm talking about the look of the speed of the game on the field, if I'm explaining my point well enough.

Nov 27, 2011, 11:32 AM

The S&C program is the common thread with the lack of a decent OL in the past several years. The moderators over on STS have been talking about this for at least the last two seasons. Bottom line is there will be no improvement until a change in that program is made.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Batson's supporters used to be out in full force against

Nov 27, 2011, 11:39 AM

this, but I guess now it is too obvious to explain away.

Re: Batson's supporters used to be out in full force against

Nov 27, 2011, 11:58 AM

This.

It’s quite possible that South Carolina strength and conditioning coach Craig Fitzgerald spent Saturday night wandering around chilly Columbia without a shirt on.

South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw

If he was wearing a shirt, it’s a certainty that it wasn’t the one he initially arrived at Williams-Brice Stadium with.

That piece of clothing is now property of Connor Shaw, who quarterbacked the Gamecocks to a 34-13 romp of in-state rival Clemson, USC’s third consecutive victory in the long-standing series.

“I love this shirt and I came up to coach Fitz and said, ‘If we win this game, I will get that shirt,’” the sophomore signal-caller proudly recalled. “He said, ‘I’ll take it right off my back.’”

The shirt read “Beast Mode” in big black font. And if his performance Saturday night was any indication, Shaw certainly earned it.

Go see another SEC team other than SC in person

Nov 27, 2011, 11:52 AM

and you will see first hand the difference in S&C.

How do we know this is a strength and conditioning issue

Nov 27, 2011, 11:58 AM

and not a coaching issue? We know that our guys aren't making the necessary blocks and tackles - that is obvious. But to me, it's not because our guys are weak, too small, and not fast enough, but because their technique is horrible.

Maybe it is a strength and conditioning issue, at least partially, but I still don't understand why it isn't equally related to technique. That technique comes from repetitive drills focusing on footwork, hand placement, etc. Maybe that falls under the strength and conditioning umbrella, but I assume that this is also under the coaches' duties in practice.

Regardless, I agree that it needs to be fixed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Because we've changed every coach at least once...

Nov 27, 2011, 12:00 PM

...over the past 10-12 years, but the truth is we haven't been a strong team winning the LOS during this time. Either LOS.

Our OL couldn't even win the battle in the trenches against Wofford this year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Agreed. And my question is, how do we distinguish whether

Nov 27, 2011, 12:02 PM

the problem is strength and conditioning or technique and toughness?

Maybe it's a combination of the above. Regardless, it sure is frustrating.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Wrong!

Nov 27, 2011, 12:08 PM

While I agree that Clemson needs to join the modern era in S&C, thats not why they lost.

We got out coached, out hustled, and out played. Can't blame that on Baston.

BS

Nov 27, 2011, 12:11 PM

When you can't move someone playing OL, and you get moved playing DL, that is strength.

Granted the coaches stunk up the joint too, but we couldn't move Wake Forest while outweighing them by 40-60 lbs a man. Who are you kidding?

We should be taking creatine

Nov 27, 2011, 12:16 PM

That's the key to it all.

And drinking milk.

Re: BS

Nov 28, 2011, 9:17 AM [ in reply to BS ]

Agreed. If you are out of shape, doesn't matter how mean and tough you are. Also, coaching can't overcome physical inability. Doesn't matter how well you are coached on either side of the ball if you are getting physically whipped. Tired of seeing linemen on both sides of the ball with guts like a out of shape barfly.

Nov 27, 2011, 2:06 PM

I dont know enough about the S&C coach at Clemson to comment on him but, as a Carolina fan, I love Coach Fitz. The strides made in our physicality has been apparent from day 1 with him. I suspect your inpressions are correct.

Nov 27, 2011, 2:37 PM

SC had way more injuries than us. They had five starters banged up last week and several that were game time calls. They were playing without their best offensive lineman, their 1st 2nd and 3rd string RB were out one being a legit Heisman candidate, and their 5th year QB was cut from the team and they still killed us. I think it is coaching.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2011, 8:01 PM

Nail on head my friend. But doubt anything changes

Nov 27, 2011, 8:04 PM

very well stated!! great post also

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember 63-17. Thank you Tommy. Some still miss you.***

Nov 27, 2011, 9:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2011, 9:45 PM

The embarassing thing was seeing our S&C coach on TV last night.

How can you expect kids to buy in to your training when you have a spare tire hanging around the waist? Look I'm no skinny dude, I could stand tolose about 40 myself, but Im not a S&C coach either.

Think about it, if an English teacher had horrible gramma, if a math teacher couldn't add, could you learn from them?

If your S&C coach is over weight, is it not ok by default for your linemen to gain weight during the season?

Nov 28, 2011, 9:07 AM

I think you nailed it pal!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're overdue for a scandal, I say make it massive 'roid one***

Nov 28, 2011, 9:18 AM

Forget the past

Nov 28, 2011, 10:23 AM

and what used to be good enough and think future. We are a slow football team and it appears a weak one also. I agree with this poster. Maybe S&C will be the next area Dabo makes a change. It is sorely needed. Our team has collapsed after a great start that was peppered with good fortune. We have got to be able to develop linemen with the necessary strength and skill as well as backups. As under Bowden, the skill players are not going to be enough to turn the corner. Make no mistake, we have not turned a corner.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic