Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To all the people who just don't get that wearing orange
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

To all the people who just don't get that wearing orange

Sep 21, 2009, 3:46 PM

actually matters. Here is a collection of articles from outside sources that prove a "Sea of Orange" actually stands out to non-Clemson fans. None of the lame excuses not to wear orange seem to confront this issue.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2008/07/ranking-the-acc.html

1. Clemson, Memorial Stadium (81,473)
Why here: Most energetic, electric and intimidating environment in the ACC. Fans tailgate outside Death Valley all day, an endless sea or orange. They get to their seats early and, by the time the Tigers run down that hill and touch that rock, the entire place is, well, rocking. And it remains so.

From a BC blog

Jeff: For those of you that have yet to make this trip, you got a taste of it when Clemson fans came in large numbers to Alumni two seasons ago and cheered often and loud, wore all orange, and took over all of the Cleveland Circle bars. When you go to Memorial Stadium, just multiply the number of people wearing orange by 10 and the volume as well. Be careful if you go to a day game in September though, just ask Brian about the dehydration he suffered from in 2005 after drinking too many Bud Lights and not enough Gatorade. And oh by the way, the team running down the hill which is the middle of the student section is truly the most exciting non-game moment in college football.

ANother from Army's website

No. 19: Memorial Stadium, Clemson (ACC)
There are few more impressive introductions in college football than when the Tigers rub Howard’s Rock and burst down the hill and onto the field to a deafening roar and an endless sea of orange-clad faithful.

Southern pigskin article...

1. Clemson – There is Orange – everywhere. Paw prints dot streets, flag and banners hang from light poles, buildings are dowsed in orange garb, if they aren’t orange already, and fans in orange shirts, shorts, headgear, even overalls, flood the campus. Then there’s the stadium. Memorial Stadium, better known around college football as Death Valley, juts out of the ground like a mountaintop with two towering side structures eyeing the playing field and stands as a testament to one of the best football programs and most rabid fan bases in the south. The most daunting venue in the ACC, Death Valley is an 81,000-seat paradigm of pandemonium. As if the fans needed any help, the structure of Memorial Stadium only adds to the madness. Noise has nowhere to go, making on-field volume levels beyond ridiculous. It’s like sticking your head in a tin bucket, then beating it with a hammer. To quote former Florida State quarterback Chris Rix, "Florida was loud in the Swamp. But the loudest, not only stadium, but the loudest place I have been around in my life was definitely Death Valley. I was yelling at the top of my lungs in that first series, and I couldn't even hear what I was saying." The rubbing of Howard’s Rock and the pre-game run down the hill has been labeled as, “the most exciting 25 seconds in college football,” and is one of the game’s proudest and most recognizable traditions. One aspect of Clemson gameday that separates the Tigers from other schools is the tailgaiting. These fans do it as early, as hard and as long as any fans in the game and do so in mind-boggling numbers on Friday nights and Saturday mornings. On gamedays, Clemson becomes the third largest city in South Carolina. While passionate and at times overbearing, Tiger fans are generally regarded as gracious hosts by league visitors.

"I remember being nervous before the game because there were 80,000 people dressed in orange. It's intimidating. I even threw up before the game. It's the only time I've ever done that."
Former Duke Quarterback Dave Brown

"There is no place louder or more picturesque than Death Valley. There, where Clemson folks see magic in a hill and a rock, orange gets more respect than anywhere this side of Gainesville, Florida."
Terence Moore, Atlanta Constitution

I mean... just look at the difference. Before any pinheads throw their "you care about fashion and color coordination" crap at me... just think about it. I just want to make Death Valley as unique as possible. Watering down the sea of orange is simply not as good as adding to it. I am not crying or whining about anything, I am simply pointing something out that many are too lazy or ambivalent to admit.

Just look at this... which is more special? If you don't care then just wear orange for those who do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is so not that serious...wow***

Sep 21, 2009, 3:46 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people think yelling every down isn't serious either.

Sep 21, 2009, 3:51 PM

I disagree with them too.

It's not like I go around insulting people about it, I just don't understand why people would not want to contribute to something that makes Clemson game day atmosphere better.

I don't show up to be entertained, I show up to do my part to make Death Valley special. Any way I can.

Yup, 12th man does make a difference.

Sep 21, 2009, 3:54 PM

Ask any college football player whether they would rather play at home or away.

And also I have to agree with C S O on this one...as in his name, it is called "solid orange" for a reason.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not militant about it, but I agree it looks better. Frat

Sep 21, 2009, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Some people think yelling every down isn't serious either. ]

section really p-sses me off, though. Shirt and tie? Really? Seriously? ###!!??!!??!!

It really blows my mind

Sep 21, 2009, 3:59 PM

Assuming you are going to dress up, at least wear an orange tie or, for the ladies, an orange dress of some fashion.

I can't tell you how many teal and green and yellow and brown dresses on at Death Valley.

It really doesn't take much effort at all to wear orange. In my opinion, you have to try to not wear orange to a Clemson game.

You know you're going to Clemson to a football game where 75% of everything around you will be orange. What's so hard about putting something orange on? I mean really...

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THANK YOU! That's what I am saying. How hard is it?

Sep 21, 2009, 4:01 PM

Just wear orange!

An orange tie isn't good enough. Look at the picture in

Sep 21, 2009, 4:07 PM [ in reply to It really blows my mind ]

CSO's post...those ###### church shirts (white or blue) stand out like a ghey thumb.

I know they want to look like they're all grown up, but it just makes em look like DA's. I wear a suit everyday of my work-life...it should only be done out of necessity.

Orange dress shirts with a purple tie....

Sep 21, 2009, 4:12 PM

Come on Frat boyz...get with the program!

Ask OP where he get's his pimpin orange digs.***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:15 PM

If I had more money I would get a suit like that.

Sep 22, 2009, 1:34 PM

I don't think a white dude could pull it off though.

Re: It really blows my mind

Sep 21, 2009, 4:21 PM [ in reply to It really blows my mind ]

Some of these stupid women, I can say that since I'm a woman, come to the games and don't even have a clue whats going on. Had four dressed to the max(not orange)come in late in the first quarter. I would yell and make noise and they looked at me like I had lost my mind. Well, thank goodness, they left in the middle of the second quarter and didn't come back.

Re: I'm not militant about it, but I agree it looks better. Frat

Sep 21, 2009, 4:40 PM [ in reply to I'm not militant about it, but I agree it looks better. Frat ]

Yeah, gotta hate the fraternity guys and no sense of spirit. I especially hate how they take it upon themselves to build homecoming floats on their own dime and time on top of their philanthropist work. Gotta hate what the Greek life brings to the table. p.s. while I was in school at least the ties that we wore were orange. Great job posting this article.

Oh whatever

Sep 21, 2009, 4:48 PM

Lie to yourself all you want...

This whole frats and their philanthropy is completely bogus. They do just enough to keep the national chapters off their backs, and then they get drunk and pat themselves on the back.

If you want to thump your chest, get out there and volunteer your own private time. Don't have some fairy tennis tournament or mixer that raises $2000 to go towards the CCA.

If you're going to be in a fraternity, at least have the balls to admit that you joined it because you could drink underage and meet your future groomsmen...not out of love for St. Jude or the Ronald McDonald House.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mmkay, how does any of that explain wearing pink

Sep 21, 2009, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not militant about it, but I agree it looks better. Frat ]

Shirts and bow ties to football games?

no but talking like a retarded valley girl is so serious***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:04 PM [ in reply to It is so not that serious...wow*** ]

yeah it is sweetheart...either all orange or your not all in***

Sep 21, 2009, 8:12 PM [ in reply to It is so not that serious...wow*** ]

it's not that serious and it's also not that difficult to do

Sep 21, 2009, 11:17 PM [ in reply to It is so not that serious...wow*** ]

how hard is it to put on something orange for a game?

I agree. I'm baffled by people offended that their fellow

Sep 21, 2009, 4:04 PM

Clemson fans would appreciate them wearing orange, especially when it's JUST as easy to put on an orange shirt as it is a non-orange shirt.

null

So, let me get this straight...

Sep 21, 2009, 4:14 PM

So, a guy from Boston College, Army, and Duke think our stadium is intimidating?

Hmm. It should be, for them. They all suck.

I want that to change to where the GOOD teams (the Fl States, Miami's, and hopefully better OOC opponents) are afraid to come to Death Valley. It doesn't seem like it's a very feared place like it used to be.

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Good point. You should wear green. ******

Sep 21, 2009, 4:16 PM

null

ha! nice! i love all orange my friend. i'll stick with that***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:16 PM

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Oh I agree but I don't play/coach for the team. I'm a fan so

Sep 21, 2009, 4:25 PM [ in reply to So, let me get this straight... ]

I can do my part and my part only. That means I yell my lungs out and wear orange.

(ROLLS EYES) you don't have to wear orange to...............

Sep 21, 2009, 4:35 PM

to be "ALL IN" give me a break!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: (ROLLS EYES) you don't have to wear orange to...............

Sep 21, 2009, 4:38 PM

But why wouldn't you wear orange?

Well first of all trust me...................

Sep 21, 2009, 4:55 PM

I've got plenty of orange in my closet. And I will always have the logo (paw) on no matter what color.

I prefer white, especially on hot days and I tend to wear more orange on the road than at home.

I've been to 357 consecutive games home and away and what the heck I wear isn't going to make me less of a fan.

Plus it's a pet peeve of mine all these people saying you have to wear this or that to be a fan. I don't care if you want to wear a jersey, orange overalls, purple polo etc. As long as you are there and support the team!

I stopped wearing what other people told me to when I was about seven years old

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

357 consecutive games...

Sep 21, 2009, 5:59 PM

that's closing on, if not over, 30 years of being at every single game Clemson has EVER played ANYWHERE (if anybody buys that) and you still don't know what makes the Valley special. You can be a fan in another color, this I don't doubt. But pardon me if I call foul on someone who has supported Clemson athletics for that long and doesn't side WITH the orange argument. I'd be ashamed...but I guess that's just me.

357 is a big number! Congrats.

Sep 21, 2009, 6:08 PM

What game started your string and why?

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah good math that is 30 years

Sep 21, 2009, 6:18 PM [ in reply to 357 consecutive games... ]

and if you don't believe me I don't give a d@mn because I know plenty of people who KNOW.

I know more about what makes DV and the road games special than you probably ever will!

if you have that record then...

Sep 21, 2009, 6:27 PM

my congratulations to you sir. That is a feat that you could dare most anyone to match. I said what I did because it is hard to believe that in 30 years not one circumstance has kept you from a game. We should all be so lucky...and have the $$$ to back it up. Must be nice...

I still stand by my statement that the Valley is a special place, and one of the main reasons is the orange. Ever notice the giant signs that say "NEXT TIME I'LL WEAR ORANGE!" Yeah...those are there for a reason. And while I may not boast the record you do, I know plenty about what makes Clemson special, and you can ask "plenty of people who KNOW." BTW, those plenty of people, will tell you I wear orange to every game, because that's the way it should be.

NM

Re: if you have that record then...

Sep 21, 2009, 7:42 PM

You tell um son! Got to wear orange & stand out to the other team. It is intimidating!!!

It is just you....

Sep 21, 2009, 6:30 PM [ in reply to 357 consecutive games... ]

I have never seen celtic without a Clemson shirt on. Why does it matter what color it is if it is not that stupid pink stuff they sell now?

where did I say "is it just me?"

Sep 21, 2009, 6:35 PM

I never even hinted at the fact that you can't have another color of shirt and wear it whenever you please. I have plenty of gray and white Clemson shirts and yes...even a purple one...lol. And I also wear them all the time. I wasn't questioning his fan-hood, as I believe I stated in my post. But at the games...it should be orange all the way.

Re: where did I say "is it just me?"

Sep 21, 2009, 6:42 PM

kiddpc1
Amateur [487 pts]
Anderson,SC

357 consecutive games...
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 5:59 PM Report Abuse Rate: Reply

that's closing on, if not over, 30 years of being at every single game Clemson has EVER played ANYWHERE (if anybody buys that) and you still don't know what makes the Valley special. You can be a fan in another color, this I don't doubt. But pardon me if I call foul on someone who has supported Clemson athletics for that long and doesn't side WITH the orange argument. I'd be ashamed...but I guess that's just me.

wow...and the short bus gives me a round of applause...lol.***

Sep 21, 2009, 6:43 PM

Danke BD, she is one who knows. ;) ******

Sep 21, 2009, 9:23 PM [ in reply to It is just you.... ]

did you go to both games in Tokyo?*

Sep 21, 2009, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Well first of all trust me................... ]

So is that an excuse not to wear it? I don't even know what

Sep 21, 2009, 4:55 PM [ in reply to (ROLLS EYES) you don't have to wear orange to............... ]

the point of you saying that is. I never said anything about people wearing white being not all in.

I wear orange, but don't need a blog to tell me to.***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:37 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

I'm going to wear white in spite of you***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:41 PM

and you want to be my latex salesman (I can't help myself)***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:44 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!***

Sep 21, 2009, 5:00 PM

At least that is a reason.***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:57 PM [ in reply to I'm going to wear white in spite of you*** ]

ok***

Sep 21, 2009, 5:47 PM

Re: To all the people who just don't get that wearing orange

Sep 21, 2009, 5:49 PM

I have no problem wearing Orange.

But I will not wear purple...

Purple***

Sep 21, 2009, 7:44 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

You do realize that the reason you have all those quotes is

Sep 22, 2009, 4:48 AM

b/c pretty much everyone wears orange to every game. That hasn't changed. Despite the few people here or there that don't it doesn't take away from the fact if you look at a distance you see a sea of orange. Now, if you asked why people don't have orange ponchos, that's a different thing lol!

When it rains all bets are off, I understand that... but

Sep 22, 2009, 10:39 AM

there are some games that are more orange than others and some sections that are more white and purple stained than others. The student section is hard core orange... I just want the sea of orange to be even more orange. Pure orange would be an unbelievable sight, even for those of us who have seen Clemson crowds for several years.

Apparently my post was moderated on this...***

Sep 22, 2009, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I always wear it. Christ Sakes its a Clemson game!!!!***

Oct 5, 2009, 2:58 AM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic