Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The truth about Millennials...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 109
| visibility 1

The truth about Millennials...

Jul 3, 2014, 1:06 PM

Re: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15498649

As a generation they are the least prepared, in the history of this country, to deal with reality.

They can take more for granted, work less, suffer less and think less than any other previous generation. Smart phones, nanny-state govt., political correctness, Social Media, an excess of wealth left over from previous generations has created a big chunk of arrogant silly puddy that doesn't show up to work on time and can't handle life's basic problems without their parents.

Nobody treats anyone else with respect and the concept of personal responsibility is completely gone.

Millennials are more tolerant because it's easier to be when you don't have to work for anything. Change is constant, but things go in cycles. Generation X was spoiled already, Millennial are worse, and it will keep getting worse until the rubber band snaps back. Buy ammo and hold on.

Generation X, out.

Oh, and Tigernet rules.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

point!***

Jul 3, 2014, 1:09 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The truth about Millennials...

Jul 3, 2014, 1:16 PM

"As a generation they are the least prepared, in the history of this country, to deal with reality."

That's easy to say when many of your folks grew up in the Golden Age of American society. What a pompous bunch of crap.

I guess the millenials are the ones responsible for destroying the middle class and the American economy.

Apples and oranges. Talk to us in 20 years after we spend some time digging this country out of the hole that the Boomers and Xers put us in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is something wrong with every generation.

Jul 3, 2014, 1:18 PM

Your generation just sucks at being adults.

Some others suck at understanding that the Cold War wouldn't last forever.

Still others suck at appreciating basic human rights.

Re: There is an equal amount wrong with every generation.

Jul 3, 2014, 1:26 PM

Perhaps being an adult wouldn't be such an obstacle if the country weren't still licking its wounds from the failed policies and decisions of the older generations. FAILURES in every sense of the word.

I just don't think it's reasonable to compare millennials' ability to deal with reality with that of the Boomers and Xers, when our reality consists of the toilet bowl of an economy,job market and political landscape you left us.

The truth of the matter is, our being spoiled and feeling entitled is really the least of our problems right now. But I'm more than willing to entertain a group of folks who still feels superior despite putting this country in the chitter...

In terms of standard of living, and how much actual work

Jul 3, 2014, 1:33 PM

you have to put in to avoid suffering, Millenials are living off the mound of cash that all those previous generations built. Generation X did too, just to a lesser extent. It's technology and Generation X parenting that made you guys worse off with regards to handling life on your own.

There is a massive support system, built up over generations, that latest generations naturally benefit from.

Our middle class has a ton of material sh*t it doesn't need and our poor people consume exponentially more resources than most of the rest of the world. So to suggest that we are in dire straits demonstrates the exact 'taking sh*t for granted attitude' I am talking about.

Can we all just agree that

Jul 3, 2014, 1:43 PM

we suck and things the previous generations did sucks and the current economy sucks and our past couple governments suck and that the coots suck??

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: Can we all just agree that

Jul 3, 2014, 1:51 PM

Yep. The difference is we haven't had a chance to screw anything up yet.

That's all I'm asking for is a chance. A chance to create the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. A chance to create a political climate that stifles any productivity.

Is it entitled to ask for a chance to royally screw things up on my own terms? I have to forge my own legacy.

TIA in advance.

I for one hope that you fail

Jul 3, 2014, 1:52 PM

at those chances

;)

That's the thing. You guys ARE the screw up.

Jul 3, 2014, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Can we all just agree that ]

It's like we banged a retarded monster... and you guys were born. So it is our fault... but at least we are not the actual living, breathing fault. ;)

Nature or nurture?

Jul 3, 2014, 3:07 PM

Either way it's not completely our faught.

Was that too millenial of me to say? haha

Don't say anything you wouldn't say to this man's face.

Jul 3, 2014, 3:29 PM

...which pretty much kills all that internerd speak.

Longstreet?

Jul 3, 2014, 3:40 PM

I would be honored to shake his hand

Hood.***

Jul 3, 2014, 3:42 PM

Ahh knew the beard didn't look quite right for Longstreet

Jul 3, 2014, 3:47 PM

Still be honored

It's your fault for being the greediest generation....

Jul 5, 2014, 1:43 PM [ in reply to That's the thing. You guys ARE the screw up. ]

of Americans ever. You greedy bums had an oil crisis back in the 70's with long lines of cars waiting for gas. Instead of learning from that and making more fuel efficient vehicles with readily available technology, you greedy bums kept on making gas guzzlers. Now because of you greedy bums stupidity, we have to pay 3.50 to 5.00 a gallon for gas.

You're also the same greedy bums who call people welfare queens or dependent on the government, then once you get old you sign up for social security and medicare. So for all your complaining about people living off of the government, you have ended up living off of the government yourself.

If you don't believe in receiving a government check go cancel your social security checks, go cancel medicare and throw yourself at the mercy of your holy free market.

F'ing hypocrite.

Hate to spoil your ###### strength rant but...

Jul 5, 2014, 7:25 PM

I wasn't alive in the 70's. And I don't get any money from the government. But don't let reality stop you.

Oh I am pretty sure you guys played a big role in the

Jul 3, 2014, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Can we all just agree that ]

political quagmire. Just because your ages isn't in office doesn't mean you didn't do the voting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most recently yes, but let's not forget that it was Bush

Jul 3, 2014, 3:08 PM

who did the patriot act that opened the door for the NSA and DHS problems we have now

I was not a fan of his by the end either.

Jul 3, 2014, 3:13 PM

I pretty well need to be the president.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We talking free ice cream on wednesdays and mandatory

Jul 3, 2014, 3:26 PM

beach time on the weekends? You have my vote.

On the realz I liked how strong bush was on foreign policy but didn't like most other stuff. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I would've loved to see Ron Paul win the primary

You see, figure I can fix unemployment, over

Jul 3, 2014, 3:37 PM

population, and energy demand all with one push of that red button. That will fix social security too! After that, we can work on 4 day work weeks during football season, and a weekly ice cream day the other months.

What's scary is... he's right.***

Jul 3, 2014, 3:38 PM

In the words of one of Gen X's best philosophers...

Jul 3, 2014, 3:50 PM

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQfyT4H_NPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3nsgTQNiI

I mostly blame the baby boomers

Jul 3, 2014, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Oh I am pretty sure you guys played a big role in the ]

Which are parents to most millennials, and were responsible for a lot of the cultural change that happened in the 60s and 70s. Yes, civil rights were expanded during that time, but a form of individualism that was corrosive of the institutions that could've stood in place of big government was also made pretty much the rule. It's basically made it impossible for millennials and Gen Xers to do anything else but look to government for solutions to our problems.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually most of Congress is old, so completely solid orange

Jul 5, 2014, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Oh I am pretty sure you guys played a big role in the ]

generation is still in office f'ing things up

Re: In terms of standard of living, and how much actual work

Jul 3, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to In terms of standard of living, and how much actual work ]

None of that changes the fact that the people who love to talk chit about millenials are the very individuals who a) lived in a society where it was much easier to get ahead and/or b) either benefited directly from or contributed directly to the status quo that exists today.

"Generation X parenting". And there ya go. Another failure.

I don't feel entitled to anything, but find it laughable that the ones who make the mess feel "entitled" themselves to stand over the ones cleaning up said mess. Maybe we're not the ones who are so entitled?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Jul 3, 2014, 1:53 PM

photo cryingdude_zps3e151db3.gif

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Sorry, couldn't resist

Jul 3, 2014, 1:54 PM

All I've heard all week is people crying about the faults of millennials, so back atcha, CUTIGERBOB, if that is your real name!

No, 'bob' is his nickname. I thought that was explained

Jul 3, 2014, 2:11 PM

in the handout?

Lazy-asss millinneials....

null

Jul 3, 2014, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Sorry, couldn't resist ]

'1st world problems' because of millennial.

Jul 3, 2014, 2:10 PM

Nope, just working on projects this weekend to pay off student loan amounts that would have been unfathomable 20 years ago.

Thanks Obama. ;)

Jul 3, 2014, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: In terms of standard of living, and how much actual work ]

First of all, I am not taking credit for anything as an individual. I am merely pointing out the biggest blind-spot millennials have about the generation they belong to.

All this whining about opportunity completely ignores the shifting definition of what "opportunity" actually means.

You have an 'opportunity' to be a landscaper. Some time in the past 'opportunity' meant having a low wage job that could feed your kids. Never mind how hard you had to work. Now, opportunity means being able to afford European vacations and high speed internet.

Millenials have it easier when it comes to avoiding suffering. And you don't need opportunity to do that any more. And human nature dictates that when a generation experiences that, they become less able to deal with certain problems and do not work as hard.

I don't have to work hard for the very same reason. I have had to at other points in my life, and I know what suffering is, but my life on the whole has been extremely easy. Despite growing up 'poor,' previous generations' 'racism and barbarism' built up so much excess wealth in this country that being poor in USA was still an easy life, compared to the rest of humanity elsewhere.

And if you are going to agree that Generation X parenting was bad, which it has been, you have to agree with the result, unprepared young adults. Unless you are a millennial and you think you can have your cake and eat it too. :)

And have you millenials ever heard of the 70's and early 80's? You think the streets were paved with jobs back then?

Jul 3, 2014, 2:09 PM

I'm not sure how much of that applies to the fact that the economic climate in this country for young people isn't what it used to be thanks to a nonexistant manufacturing sector (for non college educated people), and the rising costs of education and the burden of student debt for college educated people compounded with a pretty chitty job market, high fuel costs and their trickle-down effect, etc.

I've never been on a European vacation, but I'm sure the Greatest Generations said the same things about the luxuries of the color television that you're saying about high-speed Internet.

I don't think for a second that my generation "suffers" any less than the Boomers or Gen Xers. Chalk it up to naivete or what have you, but I would take these arguments more seriously if they were coming from someone (a member of my Grandfather's generation) who established --- not contributed to the downfall of --- the American standard you're speaking of.

Jul 3, 2014, 2:15 PM

How old is your grandfather?

Jul 3, 2014, 2:20 PM

Probably should have referred to my Great Grandfather, who was born in the 20s, fought WWII and is still alive.

Jul 3, 2014, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: In terms of standard of living, and how much actual work ]

Chalk it up to naivete or what have you, but I would take these arguments more seriously if they were coming from someone (a member of my Grandfather's generation) who established --- not contributed to the downfall of --- the American standard you're speaking of.

Nice lawyering.

I'm not speaking of an American standard as much as I am saying it would be counter-rational to ignore how much easier things are today in terms of standard of living and avoiding suffering. This has natural social consequences directly related to work ethic and crisis management.

You can inject as many other semi-related articles of interest into this thread as you want, but my core thesis remains. As someone who has benefited from it, and taught history to over a thousand college-aged millenials, I have a pretty decent lock on the rapidly declining work ethic and the rapidly altering definition of 'success' of the average person.

Again, I do not put myself above anyone else as an individual. I have repeatedly stated I am aware I have had it easy thanks to previous generations.

Baby Boomer didn't build anything, they destroyed what their

Jul 5, 2014, 1:35 PM [ in reply to In terms of standard of living, and how much actual work ]

parents built.

It wasn't the boomers who encouraged people to sit

Jul 5, 2014, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: There is an equal amount wrong with every generation. ]

on their lazy arses and milk the government. Nor was it the boomers who got their little feelings hurt when certain words were used like "redskins." It's the younger generations that "can't handle the truth" and want to run to mommy and daddy (or the government) when something doesn't suit them.

Like the OP said, they can't deal with reality. For example: But Dad, I just graduated from high school. I shouldn't have to drive a Pinto, I want a BMW.

SMH

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree somewhat with this premise for my "generation" as a

Jul 3, 2014, 1:26 PM [ in reply to There is something wrong with every generation. ]

whole, as there are many that aren't working hard, etc., but there are a lot of us that do not fall in that category.

I didn't come from money, but you better believe I have busted my @$$ to make my own and I do very well for myself.

you older folks need to realize that our generation is being given the least chance to succeed. So many of us come out of college to no job, because there isn't one. There are no longer careers as companies are increasingly contracting out and outsourcing. Also, the policies that are making this country "soft" haven't come from my generation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: I agree somewhat with this premise for my "generation" as a

Jul 3, 2014, 1:44 PM

I guess everything is cyclical, because there were no jobs in 1975 when I graduated either. I had to take a job making $2500 a year less than I had made working in a factory prior to returning to CLEMSON to get my degree. $2500 in 1975 is probably like $25000 now, so it hurt. It took me 3 years to finally get the type of job that I went back to CLEMSON to possibly get someday, and another 2-3 years to make what I had earned working in that factory. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Anyway - I definitely see a huge difference in the generations. But our kids seem to have a better grasp on technologies, and each generation seems to have more of a grasp. That won't change. Millenials are more naive I think. They seem to be way more trusting of others than I could ever be.

It happens all of the time these days. I busted my a$$ for a

Jul 3, 2014, 1:55 PM

very large company for 4 years(19-22), received 4 promotions, and a job offer to become the IT manager over Texas(which I turned down because their offer was on the pay scale below the job title, because I'd already raised my pay by over 250% from previous promotions) only to be laid off the Monday before thanksgiving(because I was the youngest person in our group). BTW the final 2 years I worked 40+ hours a week while also taking 18 credit hours a semester and 3 summer courses/yr. to graduate college.

I finally found another job 4 months later making 8k less than I was at the end of my previous job. Worked up through 2 promotions in less than a year. 2nd promotion was an added position due to growth in a particular segment of the business(another position was added 3 months after my accepting the promotion). And again I was laid off due to lack of work(growth dried up) and because I was the youngest/least tenured person in the group(the other promoted gentleman had been with the company for over 20 years, and I beat him out the first time around and trained and cleaned up his messes after he was brought on).

I'm finally back on track working a contract making more money than previously. I work my butt off and don't trust anyone and don't give anyone anything they can use against me.

The economy sucks. job environment sucks, there is zero job security, less room for growth than ever, and more contract/outsourced work than ever.

BTW, I'm not crying about my situation just trying to make a point and what better way than personal experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Jul 5, 2014, 5:01 PM [ in reply to I agree somewhat with this premise for my "generation" as a ]

Is Whine a new major at CU?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2014, 5:53 PM [ in reply to I agree somewhat with this premise for my "generation" as a ]

HOWEVER, these "policies" that are ruining the USA have come from your genertaions votes.. the demos/libs that are robbing tax payers to give to the deadbeats that refuse to work what WE WORKED FOR!!that is what U and yours have done

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2014, 8:32 AM [ in reply to I agree somewhat with this premise for my "generation" as a ]

Agreed.

We are not spoiled, we are being fiven the least chances and most obstacles to succeed.

NFL- Green Bay Packers
NCAA- Michigan and Michigan State (formerly Clemson)
MLB- New York Yankees

Part of that is bc milleneials arent really adults yet...

Jul 3, 2014, 2:52 PM [ in reply to There is something wrong with every generation. ]

some are, some arent. Yes being 20-30 is techinically an adult and you're still building that life experience.

Jul 3, 2014, 1:18 PM

Quiet gramps or I'll move your ### into a home with no internet

null

Haha!

Jul 3, 2014, 1:20 PM

I could technically fit into Millennials or Gen X as I am right on the border. I just side with the stronger. Plus I can't just sit out of a generational war.

Jul 3, 2014, 1:22 PM

Seems to me they don't fight enough - or just have enough fight in them. Just an observation on my part. I grew up fighting on a weekly basis - and sometimes a daily basis. I don't know of a single fight that my 2 sons were ever in. They be soft IMO. You can smell the fear in them. You can see it in their eyes. They also don't understand what it was like to see Danny's boys play with "fire in their belly". That's why the chickens beat our boys now. We have no "fire in our bellies", and have no freaking clue what it even means. If you've been there, you know. If not, then you're talking out of your ###.

Jul 3, 2014, 1:33 PM

The chickens consist of millennials, too. HTH

shhhhh....he's making a fool of himself and doesn't realize

Jul 3, 2014, 1:42 PM

it.

DPOTD***

Jul 3, 2014, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: The truth about Millennials... ]

Jul 3, 2014, 1:41 PM

What a complete load of horse s***! I am on the older end of Generation X and work with a ton of millennials. On the whole, I would say they are some of the hardest working and most intelligent folks I have ever worked with. Plus, they tend to be more tolerant of others, less xenophobic, and less racist...all huge positives in my book.

You also throw around things like working less and suffering less as if those are bad things. I'd say they are actually the first generation to get the work/life balance thing right. They have seen (as have I) too many of their older co-workers die in the their 50's and early 60's from diseases brought on by a life spent working too much and under too much stress.

Sure, some of the points you raise are valid...but every generation has it's faults. The boomers are no exception...

Jul 3, 2014, 1:42 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15509767

Well, they are going to be those who go through the next

Jul 3, 2014, 2:03 PM

World War, so I guess they'll learn to toughen up quickly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jul 3, 2014, 2:04 PM

Parents blaming the kids.

It was the parents holding on and continuing to hold on to those old outdated and bigoted views, that cost many of their own offspring to be plagued by the same foolishness. this left them unprepared socially and all they could do is complain.

For many of you, if your parent was not a racist fool, you would feel less out of touch today. I am very sorry for you. It is not soft to have compassion for others. Stop trying to bully people.

Older people have put us where we are. how many gen x presidents are out there? how many millenials. How many have been in congress.

Old, rich, selfish, greedy people put us here. They will even violate human rights to do it. If the old way was left to have their way their would still be slaves and women would still be in the kitchen.

whose generation just started a couple of wars we haven't paid for yet? no worries they will let the kids and grand kids pay for it.

It is not inconceivable with human intelligence and technology for every american to live a good happy life.

Mmhmm. Got it. Look up "presentism."

Jul 3, 2014, 2:12 PM

BTW, do you shop at Urban Outfitters a lot?

I'm working on nailing down some of my more obscure stereotypes.

This is a member of my generation I can say I'd

Jul 3, 2014, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: The truth about Millennials... ]

probably not like very much.

haha, I was gonna ask if any millennials would claim this.***

Jul 3, 2014, 2:22 PM

Re: haha, I was gonna ask if any millennials would claim this.******

Jul 3, 2014, 2:28 PM

Re: haha, I was gonna ask if any millennials would claim thi

Jul 3, 2014, 2:33 PM

Speaking of generational wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6t79Zkbonk

They're more "tolerant" to each other because they're all

Jul 3, 2014, 2:23 PM

the same...at least what they communicate with (and to) is all the same, an electronic device. The funniest (and saddest) thing to see is four girls walking down the sidewalk side-by-side all busy texting.

I've lived too long.

Re: They're more "tolerant" to each other because they're all

Jul 3, 2014, 2:26 PM

That's your daughters texting us dudes bewb pics

HTH

I was watching Cops last night. Kid apparently gets pulled

Jul 3, 2014, 2:25 PM

over within walking distance of home. Calls dad to come out. Dad comes out, both end up in cuffs. It all started as getting a citation for some taillight covers. Kid totally flips out when cop says they have to take his car to impound.

Re: I was watching Cops last night. Kid apparently gets pulled

Jul 3, 2014, 2:27 PM

HAHA, I WATCHED THAT SAME EPISODE. Spike TV makes it a small world.

The kid who had the pawt? Or his brother's pawt?

That would be the one.

Jul 3, 2014, 2:46 PM

Cops is a great show, always makes me feel better about my life. A couple years back, I think a cop though he had himself a bigger charge on hand. I had a burned out headlight that I didn't notice until 10 p.m. or so. I continued to the place I was getting dinner, didn't have one beer because I discovered the light was out as arrived at this bar and grill.

I headed straight home. On the way, I come up on a cop pulled to the side of 526. Since I am down a headlight, I both slow down and switch lanes for him. I guess he found this to be suspicions, pass him and boom blue lights. I explain to him that I just saw it and obviously all the auto parts stores are closed at at this time. Dude still wrote up the ticket and had me come to court to show I got it fixed.

I just know he thought he'd get a DUI out of it and was pissed about the egg on his face.

Excellent Summary***

Jul 3, 2014, 2:27 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I regularly have parents call in to ask how their 18+ year

Jul 3, 2014, 2:36 PM

old child has to do to register for programs at my agency.

And I've had HR people in other companies talk about parents coming to interviews with children and even sitting down with HR to discuss why their little darlin' didn't get a raise.

Those of us who recognize the problem here are probably setting our kids up for great success.

I hear the same thing all the time.***

Jul 3, 2014, 2:37 PM

Re: I regularly have parents call in to ask how their 18+ year

Jul 3, 2014, 2:40 PM [ in reply to I regularly have parents call in to ask how their 18+ year ]

I agree, those generation X parents are a really a pain the rear sometimes. That's the same folks I have to walk through basic computer functions sometimes despite them having been in an office setting for 20 years.

Morans.

I bet you one thing...

Jul 3, 2014, 4:51 PM

those "morans" can spell and use proper English. I bet they can do math without the help of a calculator. I bet they have actually read a book or two and know how to look things up without a computer. I bet they don't say "like" 200 times when speaking. And I am so proud of you for being born already knowing how to use a computer and no one ever had to teach you.

And I GUARANTEE you that YOU could learn a h ell of a lot from them about the real world.

Point and I agree but...

Jul 3, 2014, 2:37 PM

They said that about my parents generation back in the fifties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Point and I agree but...

Jul 3, 2014, 2:41 PM

Thank you

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” -Socrates, circa 390 B.C.

These same discussions have been had literally ever day of every year in the history of civilized society.

There are exceptions.

Jul 3, 2014, 2:45 PM

Times of struggle that force a generation to adapt. It will be true with every generation until things change for the 'worse.'

Nature is smart that way. The Chinese call it the Dynastic Cycle.

I often apologize for the behavior of my children's...

Jul 3, 2014, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Point and I agree but... ]

generation. But I'll tell you this, if I raised a kid they got exactly what I got for disrespect a family elder. Not a ### bit more and not a ### bit less. If the wife didn't like it changed nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blah blah blah

Jul 3, 2014, 2:40 PM

The same things are said about every generation. I'm not proud of a lot of the thing millennial are known for- particularly the aversion to building anything socially lasting- but we're not any more spoiled than anybody else. The job market, for instance, is a lot worse than it was for Xers, and since now everybody has a college degree, educational attainment doesn't really get you ahead.

We also have to deal with all the crap we inherited from earlier generations, including family breakdown, crippling debt, and all the other hippy- dippy bull #### y'all did you were our age. Now wonder we're so mistrustful of institutions, so older generations edged them up so badly.

Re: Blah blah blah -Comment on your Blah Blah Blah

Jul 4, 2014, 3:54 PM

The job market, for instance, is a lot worse than it was for Xers, and since now everybody has a college degree, educational attainment doesn't really get you ahead.

That's funny. That's not what the Dept of Commerce, Census Bureau states. Here's the intro:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: THURSDAY, FEB. 23, 2012
Bachelor's Degree Attainment Tops 30 Percent for the First Time, Census Bureau Reports

In March 2011, for the first time ever, more than 30 percent of U.S. adults 25 and older had at least a bachelor's degree, the U.S. Census Bureau reported today. As recently as 1998, fewer than one-quarter of people this age had this level of education.

That's only the intro. As you can imagine, there's more detail associated with demographics. Last time I checked "Most" refers to the majority which, in doing the math, gives you 70% have not attained a 4yr degree. You're building your argument on a false statement.
Regards.
GO TIGERS!!!

My generation can beat up your generation!

Jul 3, 2014, 3:01 PM

Hth in advance.

Re: My generation can beat up your generation!

Jul 3, 2014, 3:07 PM

Also, they don't help anybody do anything. It is an "I" and "ME" world. They have received a trophy throughout life even though they didn't earn it. Last place finishers get a trophy. Geez.

Know what your generation can't do?

Jul 3, 2014, 3:12 PM

Reply to the correct post.

Considering that's the only thing.... (using the internet)

Jul 3, 2014, 3:24 PM

your generation is capable of doing without your parents help, I would definitely focus on it.

Oops. Forgot the smiley face. :)

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

GOT ANY PICS???***

Jul 3, 2014, 3:09 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pigs****

Jul 3, 2014, 3:16 PM

Yes.

Jul 3, 2014, 3:42 PM [ in reply to GOT ANY PICS???*** ]

DOOMED

^^^this

Jul 5, 2014, 10:00 AM

Is what trips me out.

I use my phone a lot ....but what a telling photo.

Not sure if the internet has made the world smaller.
Or just virtual. Which would be sad.

Maybe if the Gen X'ers hadn't started giving out

Jul 3, 2014, 3:19 PM

trophies to every Millennial who played a sport regardless of whether they win or lose (and even worse X'ers decided at some point it was ok for Millennials to play sports without keeping score), none of this would be an issue.

Gen X'ers started the wussification of America, and now all they want to do is complain about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Maybe if the Gen X'ers hadn't started giving out

Jul 3, 2014, 3:23 PM

Re: Maybe if the Gen X'ers hadn't started giving out

Jul 3, 2014, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Maybe if the Gen X'ers hadn't started giving out ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15510061

So you GenX'ers are so lazy that you just try to link

Jul 3, 2014, 3:30 PM

a post that you already made, yet turn around and call us lazy?

By the way...GenX'ers are getting filthy rich off of the contributions of a lot of Millennials who have started and are running some of the most successful companies in the fastest emerging industries in the country. But let's continue to ignore that.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I knew you wouldn't read it so I gave you a link.

Jul 3, 2014, 3:33 PM

Isn't that the catch-phrase of Millennials... TL: DR?

And, to respond to your last point...

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15509944

1. fat kid "left out", remove "dodgeball/target games"...

Jul 3, 2014, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Maybe if the Gen X'ers hadn't started giving out ]

2. "xbox" replaces "dodge ball" then takes the lead role in child rearing as a favorite pastime because fat kid doesn't feel left out.
3. obesity is the nation's "largest" health issue.

#winning

Yeah, but whose fault is it for the Cleveland Browns?

Jul 3, 2014, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Maybe if the Gen X'ers hadn't started giving out ]

#rubbingitin

-no baptist

null

Seeing as how they were dominant before the

Jul 3, 2014, 3:32 PM

GenX'ers took over...I'd say genX is at fault.

Re: The truth about Millennials...a great response

Jul 3, 2014, 3:26 PM

This response is straight down the line.
Thank you.
Well said.

LOL, On a football forum, this is whats going on?

Jul 3, 2014, 4:13 PM

Maybe realize that all the "sub humans" are the face of your university. Not only that but are the future of your country. Instead of being proactive and changing what you can locally, youd rather whine and complain about it, so you can feel better about yourself. That doesnt make you sound ignorant or intolerant at all.

Enjoy your 4th

Murica!!

Re: LOL, On a football forum, this is whats going on?

Jul 3, 2014, 6:44 PM

Something tells me that you (like much of the generation I'm speaking about) didn't read the whole thing, or look at any of the other responses.

It's easy to tell you missed the context of my post because your post, though short, is littered with false assumptions and unrelated points. And, usually, when you quote a person, you are supposed to use words they actually said.

Lesson to you... your responses will be better when you actually understand the context of what you are responding to. Didn't your smartphone...um.. I mean parents teach you anything?

Every generation believes the next to be incorrigible,

Jul 3, 2014, 6:14 PM

incompetent, incapable and intolerant.

That's because it is within our nature to refuse to accept the fact that our time may be drawing nigh, and another generation will rule.

Perhaps, the Almighty had the right idea all along when He deemed generations to die off, thus allowing new ones to right the world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think True Detective said it best:

Jul 3, 2014, 6:30 PM

"You know, throughout history, I bet every old man probably said the same thing. And old men die. And the world keeps spinning."

Jul 4, 2014, 1:31 PM

A generation saddled with $17+ trillion dollars in debt, ~$200 trillion in unfunded liabilities for societal safety nets pervasive in a generation that kicked the preverbial can down the road. The truth about us millenials is that we are forced to live in a nanny state set up by preceding generations, with near unlimited government surveillance of every activity and form of communication. If any generation wants to look at why the tenet, "Buy ammo and hold on," is accurate, they need only look in the mirror.

There is a reason the message of liberty is contagious among colleges nationwide. Even including the liberal bastion that is Berkley... We are getting to observe first hand the effects of the guns and butter policies of previous generations is wreaking on our economy. Jefferson once said, "It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world." I wonder what he would think about $17 Trillion in debt left for the millenials.

Beyond the debt, there is the question of rampant inflationary policies. Let's not forget that in 1971, the last link between the dollar and any form of hard currency was removed. This has resulted in a near 50% loss in the total value of the dollar.

If this message is a sordid attempt at blaming others for the woes created by previous generations it has certainly succeeded. Before castigating an entire generation, keep in mind the wussifcation of America and participation trophy kiddie was shepharded in by the public education system set up by glorious generations of yesteryear.

Here I am as a millenial, saddled by student loan debt caused in large part by the unintended consequences of legislation passed guaranteeing student loans to everyone!!! What did that large influx of guaranteed cash do to the costs of tuition? It caused it to increase at a rate 24% higher than inflation (5 year period from 2009-2013). So while my parents were able to work summers to pay for their college costs, I'm having to work for 20 years to pay for my college costs.

You are correct in one aspect of your post, "As a generation [we] are the least prepared, in the history of this country, to deal with this reality" What is not mentioned in your diatribe below, is that "this reality," is in fact a country that is in worse condition that it has ever been left. We have been left with a largely service sector economy, with generations past that have chased off any traces of manufacturing in our country.

Perhaps, instead of scoffing and holding your nose at a generation that will be forced to pay Social Security benefits, welfare benefits, healthcare beenfits, and whatever else you could dream up without paying the bill for, you should instead say, "Sorry we left you such a mess to clean up. Good luck."

Reversethecurse has given some good facts

Jul 4, 2014, 3:03 PM

Millennials are expected to be the first generation IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY who are likely to never exceed the standard of living of their parents. Millennials didn't create the situation they are in, boomers can take most of the responsibility for that.

I've read some on generational research and Generation X is typically a very independent generation.....we were the "latch key kids" who came home from school to an empty house because both parents were at work. We don't tend to be "joiners" and last I read were the least represented generation serving in congress.

Millennials, whatever faults they may have, are some of the most socially engaged individuals you will find. They ARE joiners and what may seem like "softness" to some can be an asset when it comes to being open and understanding to other's struggles and being able to work as a group to solve problems.

Truth be told

Jul 5, 2014, 5:58 PM

Baby boomers are responsible for bankrupting this country.

And they aren't done yet.

And they were adored for some reason as they grew up.

They are - as a group - the most narcissistic.

And here they come to put social security upside down and bankrupt.

Well, just to play devils abacus...

Jul 4, 2014, 3:46 PM

I'm sure that previous generations would have said the same thing about gen X'ers. Reality is, the world is not static...it's always changing. Despite what most people will say, for the most part, it's changing for the better.

I am in AWE of what our grandparents did during WWII, but lots of things are better now than when they were coming up. We don't have any world wars on the horizon...whether you're white or black, your kids will go to the same school as their neighbors now...many many diseases and physical ailments have been cured or slowed due to medical advances...technology has allowed for an unbelievable advance in society and a broadening of the worldwide middle class.

Go ahead and praise the "greatest generation." I am with you on that. But don't act like progress and technological advance is bad for society because people don't have as many callouses on their hands.

Generation X, out.

I just have to LOL at this post

Jul 4, 2014, 8:33 PM

I can point to any generation and find winners and losers. Remember what the WWII folks said about the hippies?? I know many young people, "millennials", that are amiable, responsible and hardworking. You need to get out of your rocking chair and meet a few. Btw, I am not a millennial, but I employ a few.

Jul 4, 2014, 9:28 PM

GREAT POST!! sad but true

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'mon man

Jul 5, 2014, 8:49 AM

This is stupid.

Jul 5, 2014, 9:50 AM

Wow.
This is on the football board?

Nicely done.

This coming from a baby boomer receiving a government check***

Jul 5, 2014, 1:34 PM

Oh look, another one who "can't read good." There must be an

Jul 5, 2014, 7:28 PM

App for that.

+ 1....

Jul 5, 2014, 5:04 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Way too much political correctness and sense of entitlement for me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2014, 2:33 AM

The only thing Generation X is guilty of is not squashing the liberal/communist movement that reared its ugly head in the 60s mainly over the Vietnam War. The movement was laughed at by most of you and you all sat back and said "stupid dope smoking hippies" not even realizing they were hijacking the US education system and media (tactics learned in the Communist Manifesto) Brainwash the kids at school then control the messaging.

Well you guys came from the generation of Hanoi Jane, Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dorhn, Saul Alinsky, etc. (if you don't know them look them up)

So while Im ashamed of my generation, it was your generation who allowed liberals and progressives to "fundamentally" transform America

Thanks

Replies: 109
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic