Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's the anniversary of D-Day. Thank you for your sacrifice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

It's the anniversary of D-Day. Thank you for your sacrifice

Jun 6, 2018, 2:00 PM

My Great Uncle brought home a tin of sand from Omaha Beach. He was one of the early waves in and fought his way up and out. That night his pockets were full of sand from the beach and he put some in a small tin can and carried it throughout the war to remember his friends he left behind dead on the beach. He had forgotten about it for years and found it when I was young. He gave it to me and I have kept it as a reminder of those from our greatest generation that paid the ultimate price.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: It's the anniversary of D-Day. Thank you for your sacrifice

Jun 6, 2018, 2:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

terrific story.***

Jun 6, 2018, 2:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

POTD***

Jun 6, 2018, 2:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jun 6, 2018, 2:41 PM

My dad was a gunner in a bomber. I was shocked to find out those crews had higher mortality rates than infantry. It doesnt seem possible considering the number and losses on that beach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2018, 3:05 PM

Those were sacrifices that this younger generation and the kneeling NFL players need to be more educated on. The waters of Omaha Beach, Iwo Jima, and others were painted red by the blood of those patriots. My hand will always be over my heart when the National Anthem is played.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2018, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: It's the anniversary of D-Day. Thank you for your sacrifice ]

One bomber goes down and up to 10 or 11 men die in that one instance. In addition to flak and fighters they had to contend with mid-air collisions, mechanical issues, and crashes on take-off or landing. Those guys had a tough time and you're right, the mortality rates were the highest in the military, particularly bomber crews over Europe in B-17s and B24s. Amazing courage - particularly the ball turret gunners - to climb in to those unpressurized, thin metal tubes at sub-freezing temperatures with nowhere to run or take cover and no opportunity to evade. I can't imagine.... But thanks to those guys, we had almost total air superiority over Normandy which contributed greatly to the success of Overlord.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or parachute out and survive only to almost be gigged

Jun 6, 2018, 7:05 PM

by some German farmers with pitch forks, captured by the Wehrmacht, lined up for a firing squad, saved by a Luftwaffe Lt. because of being airmen, and finally getting your broken leg splinted... He was one of my uncles that survived, a bombardier in a B-17. My father's 4 older brothers all served. One survived the Bataan Death March. Another survived the Anzio invasion. Another wore a leg brace the rest of his life. Another drank endlessly for 10 years. Different theaters and different outcomes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had one uncle who was a tail gunner and he

Jun 6, 2018, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: It's the anniversary of D-Day. Thank you for your sacrifice ]

was lucky to survive. Another uncle died on the beach on D-Day and my older cousin wasn't old enough to remember him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just awesome RT, thanks for sharing***

Jun 6, 2018, 3:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jun 6, 2018, 3:12 PM

I was at Camp Crowder, MO, on D-Day. It was a very sad day for us. We were relieved of duty so we could hear the news. Many of the men had brothers, relatives and friends in the D-Day forces. You can imagine their concern when we knew casualties were so numerous. A short time after D-Day the unit I joined to go to Europe was assembled and we made preparations for foreign service.

I suppose I am the only WW2 vet on this board, but to those of you who had a family member serve during the D-Day invasion, I salute your loved one for their sacrifice.

I will be in England the last two weeks in July and one of my regular stops will be the American Military Cemetery at Cambridge. If any of you have a loved one buried there please send me their name and I will try to get a photo of their head stone.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

been watching history of ww2 in color on netflix

Jun 6, 2018, 3:20 PM

in remembrance of all the sacrifice. thx to your uncle and my grandpop (rip) for all they did for this country during ww2.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jun 6, 2018, 3:25 PM

I took a tour a few weeks ago of the ship that won the war by delivering the tanks and equipment to the beaches. My father was in the army and my father-in-law was a Seabee in the Pacific during WWWII. I could only imagine what it must have been like for those brave soldiers. Very Humbling.

LST 325

http://www.lstmemorial.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DOtNKa8tjA

Message was edited by: reynolds®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2018, 3:34 PM

I saw this past sunday an old LST being used today as a ferry somewhere on the east coast. Pretty amazing considering what she has seen

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Here she is (link)

Jun 6, 2018, 3:55 PM

https://www.today.com/news/cape-henlopen-ferry-has-incredible-history-dating-back-wwii-t130174

Deer RT

Jun 6, 2018, 3:55 PM

that one got me right in the feels! What a treasure to be able to look at and remember the sacrifices made that day not just for us but for the world?!?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Deer RT

Jun 6, 2018, 5:08 PM

Most of those veterans would not talk about their experiences. They were too horrifying and they lost too many friends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of American blood soaked into that sand. And a lot of

Jun 6, 2018, 6:39 PM

Europeans have forgotten about it.

Hope you and your great-grandkids never do.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2018, 10:46 PM

A cousin from G'ville jumped with the 82nd on D-day and like many others, missed the drop zone having to exit early when the plane began taking severe anti aircraft fire. Landed in the middle of a German regiment and was captured D-day+2. Spent nine months as a POW in Dresden, managing to survive the intense fire bombing of the city. Fortunately was able to come home an lead a very productive life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic