Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC, Danny, etc.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

SEC, Danny, etc.

Dec 26, 2012, 8:24 PM

I've been reading all the comparisons between the ACC & SEC, between Danny and Dabo, and between our Tigers and the Bayou Tigers. I have a few observations -

The ACC is not much in football these days, but Clemson could never be an SEC team. I mean that our school has higher standards than the SEC will ever have. Also, you can't leave a conference because one sport is bad. All things run in cycles, and the SEC won't be the top dog forever.

I loved Danny Ford as Clemson's coach. The day he got fired, I felt like someone died. It's true that our team has never been the same. It has helped me get better seats in the stadium since even Clemson has fair weather fans. Dabo, however, is a good man. Most of us have hope that he will become a good coach. I know that with all the rules around college football today, we can't go back to the way things used to be.

Our Tigers may not win the CFA bowl, but they're ours. None of us want them to be like LSU. I keep going, watching, paying, and supporting them, hoping that they will have a break through. Maybe this will be the one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Dec 26, 2012, 8:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: SEC, Danny, etc.

Dec 26, 2012, 8:36 PM

So you're saying our academic standards are a lot higher than UF? How about A&M? Not even mentioning Harvard of the south.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2012, 8:31 AM

Clemtiger81, re-read his post. He did not specify any particular school in the SEC, he said our academic standards are higher than the SEC standards, and that is a fact. Some schools in the SEC exceed those standards significantly, like Vanderbilt, etc. Secondly, the only way that Clemson would ever be considered for the SEC is if the Coots leave that conference. They would block us being considered for that conference, as Florida would do to FSU.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post !***

Dec 26, 2012, 9:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post and fully agree.***

Dec 26, 2012, 9:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny stressed defense first, then the kicking game 2nd,

Dec 26, 2012, 9:47 PM

offense 3rd. Ironically, he was an OL at Alabama. Dabo was a WR. I think linemen just have a different mindset. Maybe they are more conservative, whereas skill people tend to be more wide open. That may be too simplistic regarding their philosophies. I'm not sure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny stressed defense first, then the kicking game 2nd,

Dec 27, 2012, 8:36 AM

I think the main point is that all great teams have significant talent in the trenches. It begins there, plain and simple. Look at the top 10 teams, they are all studs in the trenches and play with an "attitude" all 60 minutes.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said. In many, many ways I am very happy who we are

Dec 26, 2012, 10:29 PM

... need some Thanksgiving week end wins and bowl wins to sleep soundly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"our school has higher standards than the SEC will ever have

Dec 26, 2012, 11:03 PM

Please elaborate.

Re: "our school has higher standards than the SEC will ever have

Dec 27, 2012, 12:16 AM

The SEC is pretty diverse. You have four pretty good schools with candy, florida, georgia and tamu; a couple of average ones and some pretty bad ones. Right now, though, Clemson is trying to break into the top 20 of USN&WR public schools and appearances are everything with that goofy ranking system. And Dabo doesn't seem to shed players in a way that doesn't count in the graduation rate the way Saban does.

Clemson is just like 13 of 14 SEC schools

Dec 27, 2012, 11:29 AM

The degree is valuable in-state and the closest major city.

The ACC may have some great schools with high academic standards, but Clemson doesn't discriminate when it comes to signing athletes. If the ACC is really about academic superiority, it does nothing for us to hide out in an athletic conference comprised of schools that operate with an academic handicap while we do not.

Clemson doesn't discriminate? No JUCO transfers, no

Dec 27, 2012, 11:57 AM

partial qualifiers...just like the rest of the ACC. You ever hear of Dwight Jones? Classic case of a student who didn't meet Clemson's academic standards who was picked up by another ACC school (UNC).

Try again. But try harder next time please.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2012, 12:24 AM

Vandy, UF, UGA, and A&M say hi.

Put it this way, the SEC has more top 25 public universities than the ACC does ranked teams.

Dec 27, 2012, 8:41 AM

By what standard do you come up with your post?

I Agree!

Dec 27, 2012, 9:11 AM

It's good to see positive posts about our Tigers!

Agreed!***

Dec 27, 2012, 9:36 AM

But...

Dec 27, 2012, 12:03 PM

I bet the higher standard argument wasn't thrown around near as much back when Danny was coaching either.

Dec 27, 2012, 12:08 PM

It generally does run in cycles, but the concern is that the SEC will stay up indefinitely due to ESPN's continued pimpage of them.

Paying them more in their TV deal allows each school a better chance to land a top flight coach. Showing more of their games on national TV allows more recruits to watch their games and potentially lead them to visit their school.

Using terms like "SEC Speed" over and over on TV makes a mark on the impressionable mind of an 18 year old.

It's a machine that is perpetuated by dependent-minded

Dec 27, 2012, 1:07 PM

analysts, not to be confused with people who think for themselves, but only repeat. The machine is building the SEC, which ironically is based off of the coaching principles of BIG 10 football thanks to Saban.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic