Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sometimes I wonder just how much a college football.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,220

Sometimes I wonder just how much a college football.....

Sep 16, 2007, 4:57 PM

player can actually enjoy playing the game anymore. Take a guy like Cullen Harper, who has worked hard for three years at Clemson to earn this opportunity, receives high national ranking with the elite at his posiion , does all that anyone can expect him to do and hoped he would do , and then he has to take reporters' questions about not being the fan favorite or a coach giving more playing time to the 2nd string or what he could be doing better. And it is not like he is a professional NFL player , where he is paid to take these questions, then reaches into his locker , grabs that hundred thousand plus paycheck , and heads home, with only the next paid practice on his mind. No, in some cases, like a late game on a weeknight, there is not even enough time to go out and enjoy yourself after a win. It is on to class early the next am , study halls, and back to practice. And we , who Cullen has called the "best fans in the world " , stir up at least half of this BS ourselves on our "message boards " for the sportswriters to read and then repeat in their negative headlines and crap stories. I just don't understand why we do this to our university and to our players. We are taking alot of the fun out of it for them, and they have worked too hard for us to do that. Everyone has an opinion , but no fan's opinions should exceed the respect that we should have for our players and their efforts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Sep 16, 2007, 5:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yea, and all those student loans he will have to pay.

Sep 16, 2007, 5:11 PM

oh wait.....nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree to an extent...

Sep 16, 2007, 5:32 PM

But I doubt Harper really cares that much about how he is being treated on Clemson message boards (and by the way I don't think many fans have really said anything negative about Cullen). A player shouldn't have to be motivated by being the most popular player on the team, but rather his motivation should be trying to win as many games as he can and hopefully reach the goals he has set for both himself and the team. When a player goes out on the field I would hope he isn't worried about what the headlines will say about him tomorrow. With that being said Harper has been playing great and I would guess he has been able to enjoy the success both he and the team have been having.

Best thing I've read on here in a while . . .

Sep 16, 2007, 5:43 PM

"Everyone has an opinion , but no fan's opinions should exceed the respect that we should have for our players and their efforts."

Point !

Thanks !

While you are pretty much dead-on...

Sep 16, 2007, 5:55 PM

The thing is, fans and media, regardless of how wrong they might be at times, will still be fans and media. And it's quite often the vocal minority ends up sounding like a majority too.

In any case, at the end of the day Cullen needs to understand this type of thing is just gonna happen. Regardless of the principle, it's just what things are like today, and with the internet and whatnot. If he reads it from some hack "reporter" or from some goof on an anonymous sports message board, then he should try to take it with a grain of salt.

Harper seems like the type of guy who can take it, and overall most fans can see he's the best man for the job right now.

It's Broader than College FB...It's this Nation gone nutz

Sep 16, 2007, 5:59 PM

Everyone wants:
instant WAR win in Iraq
-More Sales with less Selling Expense
-Free Sports Memorabilia
-Kinder more caring children but No praying in school
-Hot man on man action in airport restrooms and to be a Senator
-Homeruns w/o Roids

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Poor poor Cullen....

Sep 16, 2007, 6:41 PM

if he keeps this up he'll have to worry about where to spend all those millions at 6 4 and 220 lbs with a 80% comp rate 30 TD and no interceptions.

I dont think what is said in the paper or message boards right now mean a darn thing. Keeps playing well everything we be alright.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,220
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic