Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I said I'd be back, win or lose, after the game.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

I said I'd be back, win or lose, after the game.

Oct 1, 2017, 5:51 PM

First of all, congrats on the win.

Here are some observations:

* The talent gap was very obvious on both sides of the ball. But I knew that going into the game.

* Bryant has a lot of potential. He made some impressive throws during the game.

* The Dline is as-advertised.

* Venables out coached our OC without question.

* Didn't feel we had a shot to make this a game except for a fleeting few plays early in the 3rd quarter.....after the initial three and out up to the fumble. That right there was a killer.

* Our margin for error to even make this a game was razor thin. But between stupid penalties, blown coverages and what I felt like was our OC being too cute with his play calling, there was no way we were gonna overcome those hurdles and compete.

* While I think our defense played admirably, I was bummed by the blown coverage for the first score and our inability to tackle (fundamental things that have to be fixed).

* The score was closer than what actually transpired on the field.

Hope those who travelled to Blacksburg had a safe and enjoyable time! Good luck the rest of the season and hopefully we can make it to the ACCCG in December.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU for the cajones to come back to the board.

Oct 1, 2017, 5:53 PM

And for the compliments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

All I know is that VT has the nicest fanbase I've

Oct 1, 2017, 5:56 PM

ever encountered. Off the charts hospitality. Props for that.

Other than the ACCCG in Orlando last December...

Oct 1, 2017, 6:55 PM

when we encountered a group of obnoxious, foul mouth, drunken VT students, my experience with Hokie fans has always been pretty darn good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That niceness ends with the administration

Oct 1, 2017, 9:04 PM [ in reply to All I know is that VT has the nicest fanbase I've ]

who put Tiger Band in a corner.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I said I'd be back, win or lose, after the game.

Oct 1, 2017, 5:56 PM

I think yall have a great shot to get to Charlotte. The jury is still out on Miami IMO.

Welcome back. With your obvious ability to

Oct 1, 2017, 5:57 PM

show logic, you will probably not last long on this board!

Thanks for your comments though and good luck the rest of the season.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2017, 6:00 PM

+1Classy post. Good luck the rest of the way. I have a feeling we will see y'all again in the ACCG.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2017, 6:04 PM

> First of all, congrats on the win.
>
> Here are some observations:
>
> * The talent gap was very obvious on both sides of
> the ball. But I knew that going into the game.
>
> * Bryant has a lot of potential. He made some
> impressive throws during the game.
>
> * The Dline is as-advertised.
>
> * Venables out coached our OC without question.
>
> * Didn't feel we had a shot to make this a game
> except for a fleeting few plays early in the 3rd
> quarter.....after the initial three and out up to
> the fumble. That right there was a killer.
>
> * Our margin for error to even make this a game was
> razor thin. But between stupid penalties, blown
> coverages and what I felt like was our OC being too
> cute with his play calling, there was no way we were
> gonna overcome those hurdles and compete.
>
> * While I think our defense played admirably, I was
> bummed by the blown coverage for the first score and
> our inability to tackle (fundamental things that have
> to be fixed).
>
> * The score was closer than what actually transpired
> on the field.
UH, NO IT WASN'T......
>
> Hope those who travelled to Blacksburg had a safe and
> enjoyable time! Good luck the rest of the season and
> hopefully we can make it to the ACCCG in December.

Oct 1, 2017, 6:07 PM

Misread...apologies

(Resin made me do it)
??

Oct 1, 2017, 6:04 PM

Good Man! Good luck the rest of the way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2017, 6:05 PM

Good man! None of the Louisville lurkers had the guts to come by after the game.

that's not true. At least one maybe two came back.***

Oct 1, 2017, 7:23 PM

null

turkey tasted soooooo good***

Oct 1, 2017, 6:09 PM

thanks for the kind words. We don’t see

Oct 1, 2017, 6:10 PM

Many opposing fans return after the game ands, so props to you. VT has a good coach and he has y’all in a great spot, especially in just his second year. I think you guys are going to improve and be great in a few years. Good luck the rest of the season.

Oct 1, 2017, 6:12 PM

Thanks and gutsy to come back not that you had done anything here but support your team. There certainly is nothing wrong with that. BF does a nice job w your d. Justin is doing a good job and I think you can win the div this year and for several to come. Due to this stupid sch rotation we wont play as much as I want except maybe in championship games which should be fun. VT is a tough and worthy opponent and you guys fought hard last night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad we got the win.

Oct 1, 2017, 6:17 PM

You guys are gonna be alright. Replacing a legend is tough, but somehow y'all seem to have done a good job. Justin Fuente seems to be a solid coach. Y'all keep up the good work and you're sure to be the toast of the Coastal again. Win your side of the conference and you got a chance at the playoffs. Just be sure to win every out of conference game you get.

GO TIGERS!!!

Next time, let our band sit in a slightly better spot, how bout it?

Oct 1, 2017, 6:21 PM

You're awesome man. Thanks for the compliments & for coming back over here. If I had a "second team" I'd have to go with VT. Loved Beamer, and really respect Fuente & Foster. Y'all have a great fan base too. Good luck to y'all the rest of the season & I have little doubt we'll see y'all again in Charlotte

Message removed by Author

Oct 1, 2017, 6:32 PM

Message removed by Author

Read his post again.***

Oct 1, 2017, 6:44 PM

Re: Read his post again.***

Oct 1, 2017, 6:49 PM

Yep, read it wrong.

Oct 1, 2017, 7:36 PM

"and what I felt like was our OC being too cute with his play calling, there was no way we were gonna overcome those hurdles and compete." Whether fellow Clemson fans admit it or not we were in that same boat just a few short years ago.I don't know enough about your program, but hopefully for y'all it will be a learning experience.And those "cute" plays will go to the back burner.Thanks for coming back with the nice words.

GO TIGERS!!!

That's exactly what our Mods were saying in their articles

Oct 1, 2017, 7:42 PM

this week. When Dabo took over he didn't do so great the first few years. Then Clemson started becoming really good again and had a huge game against FSU and FSU pasted you. It takes time to establish the winning culture and the last few years of the Beamer era were just brutal in terms of recruiting and program perception. Fuente is probably a little ahead of schedule in what many of us thought would be a few lean years. He still has a lot of work to do, but we try to keep level headed and see what it took for Clemson to get where they are today.

Oct 1, 2017, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I said I'd be back, win or lose, after the game. ]

I was thinking the same thing during the game. VT reminds me of Clemson as we climbed that mountain. It is a journey, but I think we will eventually see some epic games between us. I just hope we come out on top in most of them!

Oct 1, 2017, 7:56 PM

The man to man defense is vulnerable to the big play because all it takes is a mistake by one player.

Most teams don't have the talent to run it, but most defensive coaches won't run it because it can get them fired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't be so hard on your players and coaches.

Oct 1, 2017, 8:16 PM

They are slightly above average and that's pretty good. Now don't you guys ruin our SOS by falling on your faces.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't be so hard on your players and coaches.

Oct 1, 2017, 8:27 PM

We've got a ways to go for sure. I like Fuente a lot as a HC. He really fits the university, the town, the mentality. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are football programs as you guys obviously know. The recruiting misses during Beamer's later years will take a few more years to get past.

Good luck to you all. Maybe I'll be back later in the year....if we don't stumble along the way.

Oct 1, 2017, 8:33 PM

Went to the game and the fans were very polite and gracious. The stadium was rocking like none other I have seen - even Clemson if I have to be honest. Maybe because the stadium layout makes it less wide open, but the people, and I mean ALL the people (Hokies), were jacked up big time!

auburnfan, is that YOU?!?!?!?***

Oct 1, 2017, 8:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the kind words. I only take issue with

Oct 1, 2017, 8:50 PM

one of your points.

I think the score was a fairly accurate representation of what transpired on the field. Your guys didn't have an ounce of quit in them but, for now, we had enough talent to maintain control of the game.

You have a championship caliber coaching staff in Blacksburg now. At this moment, I think VT is the team most likely to cost us an ACC championship or playoff spot over the next five years. You're only one or two recruiting classes away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, read his post. He is not disputing that.***

Oct 1, 2017, 8:55 PM

And I always prided myself on reading comprehension

Oct 1, 2017, 9:28 PM

You're correct. I did read it wrong.

But even though the OP was being gracious, I still think the score was a pretty fair indicator of the current difference between the teams. I was very happy to win by 14.

Classy post--thanks for coming back.***

Oct 1, 2017, 8:55 PM

GO TIGERS!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 1, 2017, 9:40 PM

Coach Venables and the defense are just better than everyone right now

I don't like it when people blame playcalling. You don't know what the coaches know. A lot of times the plays were blown up by our D line from the beginning anyway, but the coaches audible almost every play after trying to see what coverage we are in before the snap. That defense is just really fast, a lot of times even mistakes are covered up by speed.

Hope to see y'all in Charlotte

Good post ... interesting takeaway

Oct 1, 2017, 10:19 PM

You said "game score was closer than it appeared on field". That is a minor concern. But Football Life is pretty damm good in Tiger Town right now!

TU for an even 60 and total of 100 =

Oct 1, 2017, 10:37 PM

a rare feat for a fan of the opponent.

You are acting as a gentleman rival. TU to you !***

Oct 2, 2017, 10:59 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't agree w/ last bulleted point

Oct 2, 2017, 12:58 PM

Cheap TD with our reserves in at end, etc. Have a good season.

Re: don't agree w/ last bulleted point

Oct 2, 2017, 1:41 PM

That's true, but at the same time, your first touchdown was on a very uncharacteristic for us blown coverage. Of course there is no guarantee we would have stopped your offense that drive even if Edmunds had been in position, so arguing that point is moot.

We also had three turnovers, which is very rare for us. The bottom line is we needed a perfect game to beat you guys, and we didn't get it done. Hopefully we'll get another shot in December. In the meantime, keep kickin' butt and we'll do our best to do likewise!

Go Tigers, and GO HOKIES!!

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic