Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
quick and interesting camp nugget
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

quick and interesting camp nugget

Jun 16, 2016, 11:50 AM

I spent some time with a coach this morning who brought a lot of kids from the Lakeland area of Florida. We were talking about the kids he brought, and he told me he didn't think any of them could play at Clemson. I gave him a questioning look, and he told me that Clemson now gets to cherry pick who they give offers to. Much like Bama, the offers go out to the guys who can really play, and the coaches can concentrate on recruiting a smaller pool of players.

He then laughed, and said, "That's way different than what's going on down in Columbia. They are offering everybody and anybody, it doesn't matter. The coaches down in Florida have a saying, make sure your kid as a pulse and Boom will offer."

Just thought that was kinda comical.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But,but,but, the Coots think he recruiting great.

Jun 16, 2016, 11:53 AM

Someone that hasn't gotten banned,PLEASE post this on FGF.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only way to convenience them they are an average team is by

Jun 16, 2016, 12:18 PM

Wins and loses and coaching changes.

Coot ill is in chaos because Clemson went into warp drive will the coots are still trying to get the motor running.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds about right.***

Jun 16, 2016, 11:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

dude, that's not nice...***

Jun 16, 2016, 11:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and sometimes even a pulse is optional. lol***

Jun 16, 2016, 12:01 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny.***

Jun 16, 2016, 12:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

speaking of pulse.....

Jun 16, 2016, 12:15 PM

+1 for you

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. That is unreal.***

Jun 16, 2016, 12:15 PM

null

Re: quick and interesting camp nugget

Jun 16, 2016, 12:41 PM

Here comes Classless09 to call you a liar again.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

this year's Coot D Line? no way those guys have pulses....***

Jun 16, 2016, 12:44 PM

The balance has been restored ! Chicken curse, I love you !

Jun 16, 2016, 12:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2016, 2:23 PM

> I spent some time with a coach this morning who
> brought a lot of kids from the Lakeland area of
> Florida. We were talking about the kids he brought,
> and he told me he didn't think any of them could play
> at Clemson. I gave him a questioning look, and he
> told me that Clemson now gets to cherry pick who they
> give offers to. Much like Bama, the offers go out to
> the guys who can really play, and the coaches can
> concentrate on recruiting a smaller pool of players.
>
>
> He then laughed, and said, "That's way different than
> what's going on down in Columbia. They are offering
> everybody and anybody, it doesn't matter. The coaches
> down in Florida have a saying, make sure your kid as
> a pulse and Boom will offer."
>
> Just thought that was kinda comical.

That's pretty much what I've been hearing for awhile now. I'm friends with a couple of high school coaches, both in-state and in the Atlanta area, and Clemson's recruiting and player development has really been turning some heads the last few years. Used to be, apparently, UGA got first pick of ATL-area players and Auburn got second...now, apparently, Clemson is coming in and taking guys UGA used to get as a matter of course. (Georgia Tech his been MIA in ATL-area recruiting ever since Paul Johnson took over, so if you're a Clemson fan, root for Johnson to hold onto his job for the next 20 years.) Clemson fans joke about it on the boards but it's apparently very true that even guys like Urban Meyer track Clemson offers; if Clemson gets in on a kid, it's almost a certainty other offers will start pouring in from a variety of places. Coaches, anyhow, think Clemson's coaches are pretty much the best judges of talent in the business.

The ATL-area coach, for instance, told me something interesting about Baylon Spector - last year. He said there were some really good safeties in the ATL area, including one who is committed to Stanford, but he'd been watching the film and he thought Spector was better than any of them. The odd part? Spector's got a 5.5, low-end 3-star rating per Rivals.com...which the coaches who know this guy, and have played against him, think is laughably low. Because this kid isn't likely to play the game, shop around, or do a lot of self-publicity, his rating isn't likely to change...but expect him to be dominant at some point nonetheless. This coach thought it was "predictable" that Clemson wound up with Spector, he was very much a "Clemson-type" kid, the kind who commits early and with as little fanfare as possible, sticks to his commitment, and then comes in and crushes it when it's time to work.

Dabo seemingly doesn't care diddly about "winning" National Signing Day; he and his staff are just loading the roster with the guys who are actually good, and they are apparently largely immune to the "AAU-ificiation" hyping of certain guys who are...uhm, more flash and dazzle and self-promotion than actual quality.

Good times, and may they last forever. ;)

Good stuff.***

Jun 16, 2016, 2:25 PM

always enjoy your insight Q***

Jun 17, 2016, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: quick and interesting camp nugget ]

Jun 16, 2016, 3:03 PM

Dear Cootlumbia, this is what the rest of the Southeast(because know one else knows you exist) thinks of you. High School coaches, the ones who are the strongest influence after parents in most cases, are laughing about your coach. Volumes spoken. BOOM!

Now thats Larry the Cable Guy Funny!!!

Jun 16, 2016, 4:23 PM

Thanks for the Fathers Day Gift!!!!! You have made my weekend regardless of the color of the ties I get this weekend :) :)

Offers everyone, then whispers in their ear as they leave...

Jun 16, 2016, 5:05 PM

"I need you."

Boom = Ghey

Check this idiot out

Jun 16, 2016, 5:07 PM

He thinks Champ offering so many is great recruiting,building the brand. Too stupid to realize what High School coaches are really saying

This is a quote, NOT MY WORDS

Exactly, we are not going through the days of Gilmore and Clowney and Lat right now. I did a quick check of the Rivals scholorship offers page. USC has offered 17 players form SC, Clemson has offered 6. There are only 2 in state players ranked in the national 250 at # 83 and #243. I also found it interesting that USC has offered 208 players and Clemson has offered 108. Mus is building a recruiting network in state and taking advantage of his past territories and throwing out more offers to get people talking a little bit. Building the brand. He has offered in the last two years 50+ prospects more per year than Spurrier did

I have heard coaches complaining that Clemson is ignoring their players which could come back to them because I hear they are being real cocky about it, but lets be honest, every coach wants his kid to go to a big time program and feels slighted if they are not taken. If that was the death of recruiting, no major program would be able to go in and take kids because you just can not take every kid whose coach thinks he is good enough.

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/taters-ignoring-in-state-kids.174939/

Re: Check this idiot out

Jun 17, 2016, 8:33 AM

We are using the same strategy you guys did.

When Dabo was first on the scene you guys offered everyone. Now that you've established yourselves you are being more selective.

Not sure what we are doing is a bad thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

NOT even close

Jun 17, 2016, 9:04 AM

High school coaches never considered a laughing stock among high school coaches like Chump is. That's whole point you guys seem not to understand .

Re: NOT even close

Jun 17, 2016, 10:10 AM

lol if you really think coaches think Muschamp is a laughing stock.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2016, 10:11 AM

Actually, they do. He's burned a LOT of bridges in FL and AL. He will never recruit well in either state. Give him time, he's going to burn them here too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jun 17, 2016, 10:22 AM

YEP, WAIT TILL JUST NEXT YEAR WHEN HE STARTS RUNNING OFF PLAYERS TO REPLACE THEM WITH GUYS HE DEEMS MORE COOT WORTHY.

Jun 17, 2016, 10:51 AM

Exactly. I predict a ton of attrition on their roster next year from all those "gems" they recruited in-state.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jun 17, 2016, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: NOT even close ]

lol whatever makes you feel better.

Jun 17, 2016, 11:45 AM

> lol whatever makes you feel better.

It isn't what makes us "feel better". Dabo's first recruiting class consisted of 12 players. He doesn't, and has never, oversigned. He's also gotten into more than a few conflicts with position coaches who felt they were short and wanted to run off kids who weren't panning out for them, and Dabo told them, flatly: "No. I promised that kid's parents he would graduate with a Clemson degree", and that's why Clemson's right up there with Stanford in terms of grad rates. He also does not tolerate felons - you get busted for a major felony or drug charge, and you're gone. You hit a girl at Clemson, you're gone, and if you test positive three times for pot or any other drug at Clemson...hey, guess what, even if it's right before the playoffs and it's inconvenient (to put it mildly), you're gone.

That is not to say Clemson players are angels and South Carolina players are demonspawn in need of an exorcist or a stake through the heart. It DOES mean Clemson is graduating its kids, doing its best to keep them out of trouble and is willing to part ways with them if they won't, and is not putting themselves in a position where they have to "cut" weaker players because they missed in evaluation and oversigned the next year.

Jun 17, 2016, 11:51 AM

Wait you're bragging about kicking a kid off after a third failed drug test? lol

Quozzel you're generally a pretty reasonable poster but you've gone pretty orange koolaid with that post.

quoz you are flat out wrong

Jun 17, 2016, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: NOT even close ]

South Carolina players are most definitely demonspawn

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proof of your point is the fact that during the coot pro-

Jun 18, 2016, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: NOT even close ]

bation period, where they had to reduce scholarships by 6 over a three year period, they still signed more players than Clemson did!

hE IS,High Scool coaches have spoken.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: NOT even close ]

Didn't ESPN call it the worst hire of the oFF season ? YES they did.

you do realize Dabo got here in 2003 right dumba$$?***

Jun 17, 2016, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Check this idiot out ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2016, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Check this idiot out ]

Lol that is the exact opposite of what we did. When Dabo took over several players decommited. Instead of sending out offers to a bunch of lower level players he saved those scholarships and started building relationships with premium players.

That's right, Dabo's 1st class was 8-9 players short.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:28 PM

He chose quality over quantity, always has.

https://clemson.n.rivals.com/commitments/football/2009

Jun 17, 2016, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Check this idiot out ]

The thing is: Do we take less talented players that are instate and fall behind out of state or take more talented players from out of state and be very selective instate?

Dabo has been quoted as saying he recruits SC, NC, and GA as if it's one state. Champ can offer as many kids instate as he wants but if he's not putting up bowl eligible records then I'm not sure that it's doing anything.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:03 PM

All of our "questionable" instate commitments have all been defensive players. Our coaches have a proven track record of developing defenses. So it's an area I don't really feel comfortable questioning their scouting.

Also one of those questionable offers Tyreek Johnson went on to get an offer from Alabama. Hard to argue against a player when Muschamp and Saban both offer him.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:25 PM

Show me anywhere, besides SCar fan boards, that says Tyreek Johnson has a offer from Alabama.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:26 PM

Are you calling be kid's hs coach a liar?

Jun 17, 2016, 1:30 PM

Show me anywhere, besides on Scar fan boards, that Tyreek Johnson's coach said he scored an offer from Alabama.

Jun 17, 2016, 1:34 PM

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-recruiting/phil-kornblut/article84314292.html

Jun 17, 2016, 1:36 PM

OK, then I'd call his coach a liar.

Jun 17, 2016, 4:07 PM

Maybe his coach mispelled the kids name.... Tyreke...

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyreke-Johnson-32096

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2016, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Check this idiot out ]

I guess it was a secret offer. I'd be embarrassed to offering a scholarship to this kid too, unless I was from coastal Carolina or sc state.

Already been proven a KornCoot lie(links provided)

Jun 17, 2016, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Check this idiot out ]

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tyreek-Johnson-92661/RecruitInterests

This Tyreke Johnson is the one with A Bama offer

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyreke-Johnson-32096

KornCoot is a proven liar. That's why he's still allowed to cover USuC sports and Ron Morris is not. He serves the propaganda machine.

EVERYBODY READ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jun 17, 2016, 7:18 PM

You better hope...

Jun 17, 2016, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Check this idiot out ]

He's betting the program on these takes... signing less talented players to an already abysmal defense could set y'all back even more.

But you have to admit that Champ only wanted Urich because he's from the upstate.

According to 247's composite rating

Jun 17, 2016, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Check this idiot out ]

once you get to the number 5 player in SC, you're at 3 stars.

Sure rating are ratings, rivals says this,Scout says, that, ESPN says something else and 247 has even a different opinion in their own ratings. However , 247's Composite rating that averages all 4 is the one that's closer to the truth.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=SC

BUMPED for today's crowd.***

Jun 17, 2016, 7:44 AM

Jun 17, 2016, 9:27 AM

Spurrier took that FB program and it's fans in Columbia to it's all time highest in their history of college FB. And before Spurrier left, he allowed that program to fall back down to the way he found it without putting up anything that resembled a fight. And I firmly don't believe that Muschump will ever in his best years get the coots back to where Spurrier had taken them, if Muschump couldn't win in Florida, he sure as h&ll won't win big in Columbia. Columbia made a big mistake by building a city around the University of South Carolina making it impossible for FB coaches to gain and keep control over their rough neck FB player athletes. And that is the reason I believe has made usuc such a difficult place for any coach to bring in the top recruits that it takes to win on a consistent basis.

Decent parents don't want to allow their kids that are leaving home for the first time ever at the age of 17 and 18 years old to a University surrounded by BARS, and all the trouble that is affiliated with bars. That is the main reason very coach that has coached their has tried and failed but one. Steve Spurrier the legend, the legends name brought top athletes to that program and won until the first word of Spurrier's retirement was spoken, the top recruits turned and ran away and only the state top recruits is all they can get with Clemson taking half of those, now that Spurrier is no longer coaching. If usuc recruited and got signed every top recruit out of our state, it won't be enough to build a winning program.

Every top coach in the country know about the difficulties of past coaches retaining control of the student athletes in Columbia bc of the night life there is surrounded by mostly BARS. There are more places for a usuc student to buy a beer or drugs, than it is places to buy a box of pencils or a pack of note book paper. Not even for TOP Head Coach pay is it worth the risk for a Top HC to take a job there and risk ruining their coaching career at usuc. Spurrier had nothing to lose really, he knew about how long it would take for him to build a temporary good program there, then it would be time to retire and he did leaving the program just like he found it.

I believe the only way for that University to ever have a chance to be close to successful, would be for them to move USC Carolina out of the city of Columbia. Move it to a much smaller community in Richland or Lexington county with everything pertaining to the University of South Carolina being in the same neighborhood and not miles from each other. If that never happens, they will save tons of money without FB. They don't even have their own Basketball Arena. Oh well, God blessed me with my best friend at age 10, his family was Clemson Alumna's and FB fans. Living in Pinewood SC at that time in my life, I could have been cursed with being a coot!!!

Spurs up!

Jun 17, 2016, 1:51 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL

Bumped again for Saturday crowd

Jun 18, 2016, 8:58 AM

Jun 24, 2016, 8:40 AM

bump

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Coots ARE a laughing stock and it doesn't stop w/Cusschamp

Jun 24, 2016, 8:57 AM

Laughing stock = Cusschamp and his staff
Laughing stock = Carowhina's football program
Laughing stock = classless09
Fortunate = parents of usuck players, having them home over the Christmas holidays instead of playing foosball
Unfortunate = high school players suckered into playing for Carowhina
Fortunate = players for a free education at any college
Unfortunate = players at usuck who hope to be drafted on the first day of the NFL draft

I think pretty much sums it up.

But they could all recruit at their previous schools.

Jun 24, 2016, 1:07 PM

The fact that they're taking low 3 stars straight out of camp pretty much shows that this staff is learning the lay of the land, just where South Carolina is in the pecking order.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic