Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
minimally adequate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,027

minimally adequate

Dec 18, 2017, 8:59 AM

http://www.thestate.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/robert-ariail/article189995944.html

They left out the part about attending a minimally adequate college (USuC)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Increasing funding for schools is like...

Dec 18, 2017, 9:28 AM

putting a new roof on a dilapidated building.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the answer isn't increasing funding to schools, it's

Dec 18, 2017, 9:47 AM

increasing wealth in the communities as a whole. The biggest problems the schools face start right at home.

Re: Yeah, the answer isn't increasing funding to schools, it's

Dec 18, 2017, 9:51 AM

You're right about home but it's not the "community", it's the kid's actual home. Study after study shows that kids from 2 parent homes are vastly more successful in school, on average, that kids from 1 parent household. Obviously, sometimes this cannot be helped (I lost my father in Vietnam) but our society now glorifies unwed births and chosen single parenthood. New schools, more money on education, etc are putting a band-aid on a festering wound that is only getting worse.

Yep, from everything I've seen our society is crumbling

Dec 18, 2017, 9:56 AM

from the lack of values/discipline/work ethic taught at home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Wealth alone won't solve anything...

Dec 18, 2017, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Yeah, the answer isn't increasing funding to schools, it's ]

In fact, pouring more money into some "homes" would be like pouring water on a grease fire.

The problem is the breakdown of the family and the utter lack of character and values that result from it. We've subsidized that trend for decades with $billions and $billions... and it's led to a disaster in our society. "The community" is a failure.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there's a correlation between the two.

Dec 18, 2017, 11:22 AM

And nobody is suggesting just throwing money at people in poor communities. But look where the good schools are in the state.. It's no coincidence that Wando, for example, is located in Mt Pleasant.

Students need to be held to a standard.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Increasing funding for schools is like... ]

School districts across the state have grade floors (no grade lower than a 60 / no zeroes policy), relaxed due dates (turn in your work when you feel like it), and multiple chance discipline policies.

Best stated as (running the risk of pulling a McNair) the inmates are running the prison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: minimally adequate

Dec 18, 2017, 9:51 AM

Calling our current crop of political representation ( both sides ) " minimally adequate " is to me , the same as calling an ostrich " somewhat flightless " .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,027
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic