Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
letter from Auburn fans to Georgia fans...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

letter from Auburn fans to Georgia fans...

Nov 19, 2014, 12:14 AM

I'm sure this has been posted here, but I'm not about go looking for it, so for anyone who hasn't seen it---

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/27404498/auburn-fan-writes-concerned-open-letter-to-uga-fans

my 1st question...does anyone believe this actually happened? Or rather, to that extent? What's described here seems a little extreme, even for the most obnoxious fans.

and my 2nd question... I've only ever been to neutral game sites other than DV (ie: georgia dome, orange bowl, etc.) so I have no experience with going to an opposing team's field. Who's fans/environment as a whole is the most unpleasant you've been around?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta say, my experience in Athens this year was good.

Nov 19, 2014, 12:22 AM

Fans were all very nice and helpful. Maybe it's because we don't play often anymore, but I enjoyed the trip.

Worst fan environment I've ever been to? South Carolina. Easily.

Re: Gotta say, my experience in Athens this year was good.

Nov 19, 2014, 12:27 AM

I figured.
I've always wondered how other places would line up with ours, in terms of tailgating scene, traditions, and mostly fans.

how is it in Columbia?

Columbia has gotten much worse over the last 6 years.***

Nov 19, 2014, 7:39 AM

Re: Columbia has gotten much worse over the last 6 years.***

Nov 19, 2014, 8:10 AM

Well maybe it is now as bad as Athens

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with 6317. I've been to the uga/Clemson game a few times

Nov 19, 2014, 6:28 AM [ in reply to Gotta say, my experience in Athens this year was good. ]

in Athens and have never had a problem but at the same game some friends told me some sad stories of having similar experiences. We have been to cootlumbia on numerous occasions (at one point we went to 10 straight Clemson/Carolina games) and had problems each and every time we went. We go to games to have fun so it's not like we were looking for trouble but the carolina fans are classless thugs that try to intimidate visiting fans. If you go there, go with friends and be on your toes.

Ever go to Maryland?

Nov 19, 2014, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Gotta say, my experience in Athens this year was good. ]

Worst and it's not even close.

Re: Ever go to Maryland?

Nov 19, 2014, 11:18 AM

I've heard this about Maryland many times.

What about NCST?

nc state is right up there with mary land***

Nov 19, 2014, 11:54 AM

I've been to Maryland and have heard the stories.

Nov 19, 2014, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Ever go to Maryland? ]

Nothing bad happened while I was there.

Re: letter from Auburn fans to Georgia fans...

Nov 19, 2014, 12:27 AM

I went to the UGA/Clemson game this year. I was treated with nothing but respect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2014, 12:34 AM

glad to hear that.
obviously, I wouldn't condone anything that the they claim happened, the letter is just ridiculous lol.

Nov 19, 2014, 12:34 AM

the fans were obnoxious to me in Athens. Maybe because I am a young adult...

Nov 19, 2014, 12:40 AM

I'm also a young adult(23) and also got taunted and cussed at as people drove by in Athens.. It was only a few people and didn't bother me because I'd yell back at them. Lol. South Carolina is by far the worst!

Nov 19, 2014, 12:43 AM

has anyone ever seen/heard fans from teams other than Clemson say negative things about being the visiting team at SC?

Nov 19, 2014, 4:20 AM

My family attended a SC/UK game when Andre Woodson was QB. We took our 5 year old son to watch UK as this is where my in-laws attended college. I thought SC fans were bad at Clemson games...and they are, but this game was equally as bad. They were winning the game, but they were screaming, "cussing" and throwing trash at us. Calling my our son an inbred...and we were sitting nowhere close to the student section. On our way to the car things got even worse, it was a horrible experience as many in the place have been. It was our last trip Williams Brice, it's just not worth the risk. To top it all off this was a night game, so not the safest place anyway. We were harassed all the way back to the car.

I took my son to a carolina game once when he was about

Nov 19, 2014, 6:32 AM

8 and he had on a Clemson jersey and a tiger tail hanging out the back of his pants. His mother dressed him and he did look good. Two grown women behind us commented "look, he looks so stupid" and you should have seen the look on my sons face! He got his first taste of Carolina class and I told him to just ignore it. Now what kind of adult says something like that to a freakin' 8 year old kid?!!

Re: I took my son to a carolina game once when he was about

Nov 19, 2014, 11:20 AM

Sounds about right for them. I will never go to Columbia for a game just because of some of the things I've heard.

the one that finally put us over the top was after a

Nov 19, 2014, 11:57 AM

Carolina win we were just getting to our car and we saw a Clemson fan trying to break up a fight between 2 Carolina fans!!! really!! We go to these games to have fun, I don't know what is wrong woth all the other people---carolina, maryland, nc state and miss. st at The Peach bowl was a bunch of hoolaguns with their stinkin' cow bells!

Nov 19, 2014, 1:15 AM

Don't like uga... However in my first trip this year as a 25 year old, I had a very good time in Athens. There's always gonna be some drunk college idiots who shout profanities, but the spitting seems bizarre.

I heard rumors prior to going about their fans. Like I usually do at away games, about an hour and half before the game I try to find a tailgate near the stadium where I can interact with their fans. I pleasantly was surprised by how nice the group of about 4 families and friends were to my friend and me. We polished two bottles they generously provided, they told us to eat anything we wanted, and even after a couple shots they let me pick the music. My friend and I were the only tiger fans at their spot, and we were treated as nice as I've ever been treated at an away pregame.

After the game, these college dudes shouted f Clemson and acc sucks in our direction, but I was never spit on or anything like that. Gotta say I had a great time all around besides the second half.

How does somebody count getting spit on 20 times without doing anything?

Have you been to columbia? Trust me on this, many A&m fans were in Athens and I talked with a group of them. Nothing positive was said except for how the game turned out. It's not just Clemson fans who think games in Wilma Brice are ruined by their obnoxious fans and trashy surroundings.

Oh I can believe it

Nov 19, 2014, 1:15 AM

I had a coot friend say the frat guys will throw batteries at you and they put Georgia magnets all over their car when they park to ensure it wont get vandalized.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been to a few opposing stadiums and sum it up

Nov 19, 2014, 1:53 AM

Auburn-Classy. Friendly. Most similar to Clemson.
UGA- Mostly cool but they have their share of drunk obnoxious necks that can cause problems.
FSU- fun and like too party but the scene has a different vibe than other southern schools. Reminds me of a NY Jets tailgate.
UNC- really laid back, but so much so that they are ambivalent that you are there or that there's even a game being played
Some non Clemson games:
Alabama- almost identical to UGA. Most are great with a few bad apples
LSU- Awesome. Crazy. Borderline out of control. Everyone is having too much fun to have any animosity.

Nov 19, 2014, 7:27 AM

It's great to see Athens has not changed any since 1982. What the Auburn guy is describing is completely accurate as I have been to Athens twice back in the 79-82 range and the behavior is identical. I had no date either time and were lucky we didn't get tossed into jail.

BTW,,, I think it's an SEC thing.... Alabama fans are by far worse........

I've had same experience and reason I don't go back.***

Nov 19, 2014, 7:42 AM

Very similar to my own experiences in Athens.

Nov 19, 2014, 7:55 AM

Without question or exception the most vile and repugnant fanbase I have ever encountered.

In fairmness I will also say that this past year was somewhat better; at least before the actual game.

After the game, it was right back to normal for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Been to a couple our games there, never had a problem***

Nov 19, 2014, 8:01 AM

Nov 19, 2014, 8:09 AM

so things have not changed!! been like that for about 50 years!!IMHO it just might be worse than that cesspool in Columbia.. @ least I have not had a cup of #### poured on one of our group in willy brice!For the record, I will NEVER go back to either place!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

spitting, bottle throwing was my experience in the 80s in Athens.

Nov 19, 2014, 8:11 AM

we went this year and were treated well. it must be based on whether they are afraid you are going to beat them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think it's kind of like playing a bowl game

Nov 19, 2014, 3:56 PM

Fans are nice to you because you don't play them very often.

Clemson and UGA played a lot in the 70s-90's. Not so much lately.

Georgia, hands down.***

Nov 19, 2014, 11:37 AM

Re: Georgia, hands down.***

Nov 19, 2014, 1:46 PM

Absolutely no problems this year. In fact were very nice. We parked around Georgia people, ate at the Blind Pig and even stood right next to the students waiting to get into the game..besides some ribbing, it was fine. Columbia on the other hand has gotten downright dangerous. It use to be just the chance of getting in a fight or shouting match..now its the fear of having a weapon pulled on you

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic