Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
found this little memory clip interesting :-)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,207

found this little memory clip interesting :-)

Jun 4, 2014, 3:00 PM

I was only 6 when it all happened, so some major details had been forgotten....like that thUGA had turned it over 9 TIMES!!!???
That's crazy! even worse than last year's coot debacle.
I sure hope our Defense can be this dominant this year!!! ;) enjoy...

"1981. It was 1981. They suffered a loss to Baylor in the 1979 Peach Bowl in Danny Ford's first year as head coach. In 1980, they ended with two straight losses and a 6-5 record. There was unrest among both coaches and players, but as the summer of '81 rolled around, there was new life in Clemson, and as they beat team after team, including a 13-3 win over defending champion Georgia (the bulldogs turned it over 9, yes, 9 times), everyone started to take notice. And before you knew it, they had a 12-0 record and a spot in the Orange Bowl."

Message was edited by: jbthe1tiger99®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: found this little memory clip interesting :-)

Jun 4, 2014, 3:05 PM

You r wrong about 1980. Last game was an upset win over USuCk. First game in all orange, willie underwood intercepted two passes ( one for a pick 6). I was there.

I was there too.

Jun 4, 2014, 3:26 PM

I'm glad you corrected the error. 27-6.

i was there too

Jun 4, 2014, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: found this little memory clip interesting :-) ]

about burst a blood vessel in my head when Willie picked the second one off. The '80 season sucked overall...a major disappointment. I went to the NCSU game, a 15-13 mess where we got stuffed all day by a mediocre NCSU team....the Chickens defeat was a good end to a bad year overall.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2014, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: found this little memory clip interesting :-) ]

jest quotin' da net!
(notice the quotation marks, lol)

Everything I DO remember about those years & games is GOOD!

with exception of 1 sorry old meanass Jawja fan...

Jun 4, 2014, 3:05 PM

You r wrong about 1980. Last game was an upset win over USuCk. First game in all orange, willie underwood intercepted two passes ( one for a pick 6). I was there.

Here you go:

Jun 4, 2014, 3:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtmzizHcOw

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here you go:

Jun 4, 2014, 3:13 PM

I love seeing this stuff but #### it reminds me how lucky I am to live in the age of HD TV.

Watching the Orange blur tackle the white blur is just not as nice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

don't know how i ever lived without HD sports viewing!!!

Jun 4, 2014, 3:40 PM

maybe that's why i wasn't quite as into watching games on tv as a kid...compared to now...?
answer: 55" Samsung 240hz motion-rate SMART TV!!!

yeah, it's hard to turn it off & walk away sometimes when you feel like you're in it & not just watching ;)

the best part is the YouTube videos right on the screen without mirroring or attaching to a computer...

Go Tigers in HD!!! (& i don't mean Heather Dinnich, don't need a sammich :))

i can tell you why UGa turned it over 9 times

Jun 4, 2014, 3:11 PM

a steady dose of Jeff Davis, Jeff Bryant, Danny Tripplett, Terry Kinard, William Devane, Fridge, Steve Durham all putting facemasks in chests and hitting them like they were wild dogs feeding. I was at that game fresh from the '80 season with a bad taste in my mouth. My Pop and Uncle both commented in the first half that it looked like we "had 15 players on the field on defense". I have never in my life seen a defense hit and cover ground like that year and that game, in particular. Walker got absolutely pounded all day. The '89 defense was more athletic and faster but the '81 D was a constant wave of substitutions, two deep across the board, and ruthless, borderline savage tackling. The Judge and Jeff Bryant and Kinard were assassins with Paws on their helmets.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's my favorite era of Clemson football.... till now. It

Jun 4, 2014, 4:52 PM

seems that there is more balance now than then. If our current D is anything like then, things could get REAL, FAST. I remember reading a Nebraska player quote from the Miami Herald, something to the affect of "They got more mobile equipment than we have equipment." Pell got it started and Ford made it happen...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's my favorite era of Clemson football.... till now. It

Jun 4, 2014, 5:05 PM

I remember Rimmington getting holding calls on 2 of the first 3 plays.. he just was not ready for the speed that William Perry had..another thing that Neb simply could not believe was that we were as strong as we were

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my new favorite era of Clemson football is now....

Jun 4, 2014, 5:11 PM

i loved those days, but it just seems more exciting & appropriate now after all the waiting, that we get some elite-ness pumped back into Clemson Football (&some other sports...).
just the energy around here is amazing, with everything going on & improvements underway. It's a great time to be a Clemson Tiger for sure!!! now if we can get back to smack-down on coot-town, it will be a new golden age...

Jun 4, 2014, 3:32 PM

So turnovers are indicative of a dominant defense?

Re: ^^^^enter the coot troll^^^^

Jun 4, 2014, 3:43 PM

hey winnie! GO EAT POOH!!!!

silly coot turd....

Jun 4, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: found this little memory clip interesting :-) ]

Hey look another obsessed ####### #### lover on a Clemson site.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: oh yeah, @ waytomuchpooh:

Jun 4, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: found this little memory clip interesting :-) ]

if you're referring to the 6 we dropped for y'all last year, that's interesting, because nobody ever said USuCk's D was bad...just that the Clown didn't contribute.
yep, that about sums it up right
(& ask yourself how many we dropped that weren't caused by contact with the other team)

Flukes happen & no doubt THIS UGA game is considered one by their fans too. there's a difference between 5, 6 & 9...but if another Clemson team could do that again then i think it's this years D or one of the upcoming classes soon!

just curious...have your coots ever forced 9 TO's ever?

peck dirt!

Jun 4, 2014, 4:24 PM

Yes, 11 vs FSU in 84 I think is the record. 7 INT's and 4 Fumbles. And btw, I think you meant to type waytoomuchpoo.

Jun 4, 2014, 4:42 PM

nope...that name works perfectly & leads right to the hot pile :)

1981 Uga Game fight

Jun 4, 2014, 4:35 PM

Only fight I ever got involved with at CU football was at this game. A drunken Clemson fan, so drunk he thought my brother and I were Ga fans, approached us and took a swing. We had to have the guy arrested. Turned out to be a professional guy from lower state who was just so snockered he did not know what he was doing. Spent most of 3rd quarter dealing with that. Outstanding effort by defense and hot as hades that day.

Do you remember when it ended and the crowd in Death Valley

Jun 4, 2014, 4:45 PM

just hung out and cheered for almost 15 minutes straight. I was sitting in the old West End Zone that day and it was great watching HW get met by our D no matter which way he ran. Buck Belue(sp?) had a horrible day in Death Valley!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,207
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic