Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
food for thought - College Football Playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

food for thought - College Football Playoffs

Dec 14, 2018, 9:45 PM

1) When last Bill Hancock, Exec Director College Football Playoffs, spoke at Savannah QB Club in 2016, he knew pressure would be coming for 8 teams in the playoffs and said expansion would be awhile because "we want to keep a college football season where every game counts".
2) Hancock went on to say conference championship games were currently a key to admittance to the playoffs, and he was concerned about extending the season and conducting a playoff series resulting in a season for participants that could be as long as a pro season.
3) Hancock advised while it would not happen soon, his opinion was that expansion to six teams with the top two seeds receiving byes, would be a more likely next step in the event expansion occurred.
4) Finally, Dabo makes a great observation that expansion of the bowls are a threat to the importance of quality but lesser status bowls. I agree with our smart coach, and would add that longer seasons for amateur student-athletes working for degrees, and the diminishment of bowls being skipped by pro-bound players are equal threats to "college football's king of the hill" status.

That said, Dabo reserves the right in the future to lobby for a 12-1 Clemson if we are number 5-6-7 and looking in … and go 2018/19 Tigers! Get 'er done!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: food for thought - College Football Playoffs

Dec 14, 2018, 9:50 PM

Expansion isn't needed . I like the amount of squirm that it provides at it's current amount of participants .
Listening to the post-selection UGa , tOSU and Central Florida fans has been very satisfying .

More teams in would water it down . Let the unselecteds go play amongst themselves .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 14, 2018, 9:52 PM

Or with themselves;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: food for thought - College Football Playoffs ]

THIS ***

expanding to 6 is the stupidest of them all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 10:22 PM

Well I guess #2 was abandoned by Hancock when the beloved Bama was going to miss the CFP playoffs in 2017. To be fair to Hancock, Bama never had a chance to win their conference game since they didn’t win their division!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 11:29 PM

Yep the committee is full of it when they say conference championships matter as we play a team for the fourth year in a row that did not even play in a conference championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic