Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You streaming guys...Pros & Cons, Hulu Live vs YouTube Live
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

You streaming guys...Pros & Cons, Hulu Live vs YouTube Live

Apr 24, 2018, 4:43 PM

I have just signed up for the free week of each, seems like I may prefer the YouTube interface. Available channels are almost identical, both have all the sports channels that I have any interest in. Both have the local channels.

I will have plenty of internet speed, with 100 Mb, so that shouldn't be a factor.

Just wondering what you guys have experienced with each?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You streaming guys...Pros & Cons, Hulu Live vs YouTube Live

Apr 24, 2018, 4:52 PM

I tried hulu last fall and it was disappointing. I also have 100 Mb speed with an ethernet connected fire tv. Lots of buffering issues. After some research it turned out it was a very common problem due to hulu not having the server capacity necessary for that much live tv streaming. They may have corrected that by now. At the time there was also no guide to search your channels, so that was frustrating.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So far, I haven't had buffering, even with my current 8 Mb.

Apr 24, 2018, 5:06 PM

Haven't watched much live stream yet, but did watch some baseball last night with no problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have YouTube...

Apr 24, 2018, 4:59 PM

and love it.

$40.00 per month.

Six accounts per household, it includes local channels, and cloud DVR with no storage limits

Spectrum can kiss my a$$.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You can have 6 accounts, but have many simultaneous devices?

Apr 24, 2018, 5:03 PM

For the $40 base price.

3***

Apr 24, 2018, 8:34 PM

Cloud DVR too??? oH, ME........

Apr 24, 2018, 5:06 PM [ in reply to I have YouTube... ]

DirecTvNow may have to go!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Oooo yes, good point, I forgot that! Huge plus!***

Apr 24, 2018, 8:33 PM

Yea my buddy got youtubetv and shared his account with me since they give u 6

Apr 24, 2018, 8:33 PM [ in reply to I have YouTube... ]

“Accounts” or whatever. I think u can only watch 3 of them at the same time but I’ve never had any issues. I love it, solid sports channels, and it’s absolutely free (yes, I still pay for internet).

Not tried the hulu and don’t plan to.

Apr 24, 2018, 4:59 PM

I haven’t tried Hulu, but I switched to YouTube TV in March and I’ve been very pleased. I love the interface and easy DVR.

I had Sling for 3 years. It was ok, but I switched to YouTube bc of the better channel lineup and the DVR is included.

For some reason, YouTube TV looks to be better selection

Apr 24, 2018, 5:13 PM

of channels. But, it doesn't list local channels.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I don't think locals are available everywhere yet. I know

Apr 24, 2018, 9:06 PM

they are available in midlands SC and Raleigh NC areas.

Probably will end up being a channel lineup question. There

Apr 24, 2018, 5:32 PM

are some things not on YoutubeTV yet, but at least it will work on a Roku now. Tried the free week of Hulu, and found like others said that there are buffering issues and I have 240M on that router channel. I went to Directvnow for a couple of months paying, but did get the free Roku they were offering. Back to Sling right now but there are just a lot less channels even if you get the orange+blue. VERY nice to have choices for sure, but not sure what might be next.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably will end up being a channel lineup question. There

Apr 24, 2018, 7:00 PM

It’s an exciting time to be alive! :)

Seriously though, it is wonderful to be able to switch as we the consumer sees fit. No early termination fees. No surprise rate hikes. No offering better deals to new customers than long-time loyal customers.

I hope the cable companies go the way of the phone booth. Next advance would be new ISPs (maybe wireless) to break up the stranglehold these companies still have on broadband. Really wish I lived in a Google Fiber area.

I’ve tried them all

Apr 24, 2018, 7:28 PM

Sling was my go to for about 3 years or so but YouTube TV has taken over. Both are easy to use and have a good layout. Both have a typical guide you’d see on cable or satellite but I think YouTube is a better overall product. Crisp clean picture, ability to rewind if you are recording and more options channel wise.

As the case with any streaming you have to have the right set up. At least 100 mbps, an updated router A/C or better and a good modem.

I currently use:
Spectrum Internet 100 mbps
Arris surfboard modem
Asus dual band 802.11 AC modem

I’ve had this set up for two years and never have buffering issues, and always have a clear picture. There are more updated hardware which I’ll update to if I get to far behind with tech.

Happy streaming

Although I will have it next week, you shouldn't need anywhere

Apr 24, 2018, 9:24 PM

near 100 Mb speed. I have tested Hulu the past few days on my slow 8 Mb and haven't had any issues. Watched some MLB last night with no problem. Running YouTubeLive now, with no issues

Apr 24, 2018, 7:43 PM

Get The Players Klub ($5/mo.) for 174 live channels and all 4 major sports packages and Terrarium TV (free) for movies basically Netflix on steroids
The are android apps

Terrarium is amazing!***

Apr 24, 2018, 8:37 PM

Apr 25, 2018, 5:12 AM

Sling is better than who-lou, and the others. Gets all the sports channels and you do not have to pay extra for. No game blackouts like I would have with Hulu. Roku comes with Sling, so I get all the local channels.
Most all of You Tube(live & regular) is free anyway. I watch Live You Tube regularly.

I don't think the sports channels are free on YouTube.***

Apr 25, 2018, 3:31 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic