Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
X and O question.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,175

X and O question.

Oct 23, 2020, 3:44 PM

Any education would be appreciated.

I hear defensive coaches talk about "eye discipline" and "assignment" football all the time. I'm slowly figuring out why that is so important and so difficult with todays offenses.

I've come to this conclusion (so help me out and tell me I'm way off if I am): I think it is unbelievably hard for two positions in particular. The SAM linebacker and the Strong safety. (Both lined up on the TE side (so call them whatever name the defense gives to that position.)

With all the options (zones, fake tosses, RPOs - probably the most difficult) it puts unbelievable pressure on those two guys. They have to be reading run or pass. They have run and pass responsibility. And, on a very elementary level, if they screw up the TE is running free down the middle of the field.

I know that is simplistic, but is it at least on the right track?

Shouldn't the solution be to have one of those two guys assigned to the TE and play pass first, rather than try to read the play and then respond accordingly?

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

X = kisses, O = hugs.

Oct 23, 2020, 3:47 PM

HTH.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: X and O question.

Oct 23, 2020, 6:08 PM

Your analysis is good, but the Sam/Nickel often has the slot receiver and the safety has the TE. (or the reverse).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2020, 7:20 PM

Is this man or zone?

Man is simple imo 11 on one side 11 on the other. win your matchup and the the D gets the stop. Zone is trying to be where the receivers will be so you can free up rushers. That’s my take of it anyways. Obviously I’m no Brent Venables

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2020, 7:32 PM

You want to use a zone with a running QB. If you don't he can go a long way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2020, 7:38 PM

Eye discipline is to know what D you are in then reading the offense and stay in you position. Don't get fooled by motion or other thing the offense maybe be doing to trick you. Stay in your position or zone and make the play. This is a simple definition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,175
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic