Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wouldn't want to be FSU right now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Wouldn't want to be FSU right now

Nov 5, 2013, 9:26 AM

The scenario I have always dreaded is for Clemson to go undefeated and still not even get a CHANCE for the championship. I obviously wish we had beat Florida State, but if we had look at where we would be right now. Oregon would very likely be #2 (and even if not they definitely would be with a win over Stanford). After the Stanford game our schedules would come out pretty even. It's nice to think we could have controlled our own destiny, but the truth is we never did. This system sucks and i'm glad it's gone after this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had Clemson Beat FSU We Would Have Solidly Been Ahead

Nov 5, 2013, 9:30 AM

of Oregon. FSU had to use Clemson game to climb up to Oregon's position, Clemson would have been a Strong #2 as you can see from the fact that we are #7 now with an Ugly Loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Had Clemson Beat FSU We Would Have Solidly Been Ahead

Nov 5, 2013, 9:34 AM

You are correct. We would have solidified our ranking, (and at the time we were #3. The door for Oregon never would have cracked open to let them peek inside the top 2 spots, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Had Clemson Beat FSU We Would Have Solidly Been Ahead

Nov 5, 2013, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Had Clemson Beat FSU We Would Have Solidly Been Ahead ]

We may have pulled ahead of Oregon after the FSU game, but they would have taken it back after wins over UCLA and Stanford. Before the FSU game we were further away from Oregon than Oregon was from Alabama, so I don't think we would have pulled ahead by enough to keep #2. Looking at the coaches poll, for example, Oregon was 57 points behind Alabama and we were 86 points behind Oregon.

I agree with you, 78Clemson, but fwiw, this has been a

Nov 5, 2013, 9:43 AM

debate that has raged on long before we lost to FSU. Some were convinced we had the Championship game sewed up...a win over UGA, FSU, USC, and more than likely Miami would have done the job. I tended to believe we would have been on the outside looking in. We will never know.

Re: I agree with you, 78Clemson, but fwiw, this has been a

Nov 5, 2013, 9:59 AM

I agree that it's possible we could have ended up at #2 and that really we will never know. The bad part is that ultimately it was always out of our control, depending way too much on things like whether Georgia, FSU, SC and Miami kept winning.

I can't think of any other sport/league (no matter how obscure) where you can go undefeated and have no claim to being the best. The 4-team playoff will fix the problem 95% of the time, but 8 teams would be a lot better imo.

Got to get it to 8, and soon, but I believe the 4 game is

Nov 5, 2013, 10:04 AM

locked in to 2025 or something?

as soon as the powers to be see the money rolling in, and

Nov 5, 2013, 11:54 AM

can figure how to control it, much in the same way as the bowl system does now, we will get an expanded play-off. if too much of it goes to the conferences/teams, then you are right, we won't see anything before the current plan expires in 2025, or somewhere near then.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True***

Nov 5, 2013, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Had Clemson Beat FSU We Would Have Solidly Been Ahead ]

I would rather have FSU's problem***

Nov 5, 2013, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Had Clemson Beat FSU We Would Have Solidly Been Ahead ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Wouldn't want to be FSU right now

Nov 5, 2013, 9:34 AM

Clemson FSU and Miami better start hammering the ACC to get better. The strength of schedule would be laughable if Clemson dropped USC and UGA. See FSU, they don't have the USC UGA games to help the schedule and by end of year it will be a joke. Sure Miami and Fla look good but who would have thought Miami would almost lose 3 games to weak teams and Fla would be so down.

Clemson has to keep scheduling tough out of conf teams or will face the same fate. The recruiting is good enough to go undefeated but the ACC is not good enough to get Clemson to the NC. if USC drops off like many on here think, Clemson will be stuck with wins over Wake, UVA, Syracuse, etc and a big win over FSU and end up right where FSU is now.

Don't think for a moment that Louisville is going to save the day. Their QB is gone and this was their chance, the coach may be gone too. FSU Clemson and Miami are top teams and will have to help themselves by scheduling outside teams to make them more relevant

Nov 5, 2013, 9:39 AM

Don't disagree. The days of scheduling Furman, Citadel, etc. and getting by with it are over, IMO. SOS means too much now to take that chance. Also, you don't get the stellar reputation by playing light weight opponents. FSU earned their prominence by playing top tier teams and beating them.
If we want respect and a seat at the BCS playoff table we better not waste our opportunities. There already are enough weak teams in the ACC as it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And like so many others have pointed out, where you begin

Nov 5, 2013, 9:45 AM

has a lot to do with it. They really, really need to do away with the preseason rankings and not start any rankings until Week 4.

Re: And like so many others have pointed out, where you begin

Nov 5, 2013, 3:35 PM

I would love for that to wait until the 4th week, but good luck with that. Too many services now to get agreement to back off on polls, IMO. Ranking early creates even more bias and makes it extremely hard for a legitimate team to jump them.

shouldn't be hard to schedule Ohio State for a home/home

Nov 5, 2013, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Wouldn't want to be FSU right now ]

they are living this scenario right now, even worse than FSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two legit big dogs in each division would be good enough...

Nov 5, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Wouldn't want to be FSU right now ]

...and would be better than some other major conferences I could mention (I'm looking at you Big Ten).

The ACC is almost there, and might get there soon if Florida State and Clemson stay the course, Miami can continue to build momentum, and VT finally rids itself of Logan Thomas.

If you had those four teams consistently in the polls, it probably wouldn't matter what the other ten ACC teams did.

Nov 5, 2013, 9:57 AM

yep FSU showed up and took care of business on the road in a b ig game. who would want to be like that?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won't matter after this season. Win and you're in.

Nov 5, 2013, 9:58 AM

OSU would be getting into a 4 team playoff this season even with a worse schedule than a lot of mid major teams. The best team they have played all year has now lost 5 straight games. Undefeated is the goal with the playoff and not try to play 3 difficult SOS teams so you look good with 1 loss.

still too early to know anything

Nov 5, 2013, 10:02 AM

imo, at least one of the bama/oregon/fsu triumvirate loses prior to the mnc game..nightmare scenario averted, again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I wish we were undefeated.

Nov 5, 2013, 10:10 AM

All you can do is win. Being left out would not be good, but it would still be better than having a loss. I love my Tigers but I wish we were in FSU's shoes right now.

Would love to be in their position.

Nov 5, 2013, 10:22 AM

However, I see your point.

If we were undefeated we'd just claim a national title

Nov 5, 2013, 11:45 AM

regardless of whether we played for one...Bama does this lol

I'd rather find out at the end of the season we are on the

Nov 5, 2013, 11:53 AM

outside looking in than already know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The new system is only slightly better

Nov 5, 2013, 12:21 PM

We need at least an 8 team playoff, preferably a 16 team playoff. They make it work in the FCS. Why not with the big boys. I know, it's all about money. And that is my hope, money will eventually lead to a real playoff.

Auburn went from low ranked

Nov 5, 2013, 4:03 PM

To national champion when they won it so that's proof preseason rankings don't always make or break you. What matters is winning your games and beating ranked opponents on the way.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic