Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would you be in favor of renaming Tillman to Tillman-Gant?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Would you be in favor of renaming Tillman to Tillman-Gant?

Sep 17, 2015, 10:11 AM

http://wspa.com/2015/09/16/clemson-students-march-to-reclaim-former-name-of-tillman-hall/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm all for renaming the building. But...

Sep 17, 2015, 10:20 AM

I don't want to see it renamed under pressure from any group. That looks forced.

I would like to see the building renamed by the administration when the pressure has ceased; like Augusta did with admitting a woman, doing it at a time when the protestors had moved on.

And, I think a building on campus is already named for Gant. I think the hall should be named for Niki Haley once she moves on from the governorship.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Nikki Haley that's a good joke...

Sep 17, 2015, 11:37 AM

Oh and God forbid a group exercising their free speech rights to point out how inappropriate it is to name a building after a person who led lynch mobs and participated in the assassination of a state senator.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like it or not, Nikki Haley is the first female Governor of

Sep 17, 2015, 11:40 AM

the state and is a Clemson grad. She seems to be fairly popular and is even being mentioned as a possible Presidential running mate.

Harvey Gant was a democratic mayor, but there is a building named for him.

Why the animosity toward haley?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

It seems to be a South Carolina thing to avoid doing the

Sep 17, 2015, 11:51 AM [ in reply to I'm all for renaming the building. But... ]

thing because someone else told you it was the right thing to do.

Foolish pride.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wouldn't mind returning to "Old Main".....

Sep 17, 2015, 10:24 AM

gotta nice ring to it.........:~)

BTW---has anyone asked the Hunchback what he thinks about renaming Tillman??

That's what my father-in-law always called it. He graduated

Sep 17, 2015, 2:14 PM

from Clemson in 1922.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old Main!***

Sep 17, 2015, 10:26 AM

wow, dozens...***

Sep 17, 2015, 10:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

Sep 17, 2015, 10:34 AM

The building is named after Tillman to reflect the plain fact that the University probably would not exist without his efforts. It's not like the administration renamed the building in 1965 as a reaction to the civil rights movement to honor Tillman's legacy as a segregationist. If that was the case, I would be all for a name change.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually like it as it sends a giant FU to the rabble

Sep 17, 2015, 11:01 AM

and says for all time, "subject closed". It adheres to our core principle of honoring our past. By the way, its Gantt.

most ridiculous comment on American society there is

Sep 17, 2015, 11:24 AM

will these people grow up sometime?

let's see, there's been how many shootings over the last several years, and exactly 1 of them was "racially motivated"....

and this has exactly what to do with Clemson?

There are literally thousands of Southern cities named after Confederate Civil War figures - why don't you start by re-naming a few of those?

This is just people who haven't a clue as to how to be productive members of a well-ordered society....

lofl

No

Sep 17, 2015, 11:28 AM

Go Tigers.........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

The Tillman name is going to be removed...

Sep 17, 2015, 11:33 AM

They already formed a committee to disassociate from Tillman. And the only association is Tillman Hall

what was Tillman Hall's name before it was called"Old Main"?

Sep 17, 2015, 11:52 AM

when it was new, pretty sure it wouldn't have been called "Old Main". That doesn't make sense.

If we're going back in the past, let's take it all the way......

Re: Would you be in favor of renaming Tillman to Tillman-Gant?

Sep 17, 2015, 12:00 PM

The right thing to do is to remove it. Just my opinion. But it shouldn't matter if you are being pressured or not. The right thing is the right thing. Period.

And if we land Gameday this year for ND, GT or FSU it's 100% certain there will be a story on Tillman and his extreme racist views because the hosts will be sitting on Bowman field with Tillman hall in the background. That story will not put Clemson in a good light.

Old Main sounds reasonable. Tillman will always be mentioned in the history of Clemson. But honoring a man with those views, even if he was a product of his times, is not consistent with the values of Clemson.

I'm sure Harvey Gant would not like

Sep 17, 2015, 2:13 PM

his name tied to Tillman's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask me after football season...

Sep 17, 2015, 2:36 PM

FOCUS!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic