Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
World views based on a centralized narrative.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 717

World views based on a centralized narrative.

Feb 24, 2018, 10:30 AM

There are millions of "reasonable," "moderate" people who approach individual issues carefully and "responsibly" but their entire window to reality is through a very narrow window of selected and filtered information, and they don't realize it.

I rarely hear a lot of these "moderates" spend any intellectual effort opining on the very significant impact that the centralized corporate media has on their world views. Some people pay a little bit of lip service to it, but its clear they don't see how much of a pathological scenario they are victim to.

Moderates tend to brush this off this by bringing up that while imperfect (understatement) it is still better than all the other state-controlled, or religious influenced media outlets around the world. While there is plenty of legitimacy to this argument, it shouldn't be used as an escape hatch to avoid the truth. The truth is that whatever options you have available to you in mainstream american media are VERY distorted and can not possibly (on their own) lead one to understanding how things in the world really are.

People take a mainstream article and, out of a mixture of brainwashing and laziness, they don't feel the need to confirm sources, or check who these "experts" are or look into the actual context of the "studies" that are being quoted. They approach complicated world issues the same way they do shopping on Amazon. If 4,000 people give this toaster a 4.9 rating, then it must be good. That works well for consumer reviews, but not for news. Do not take comfort in the herd. You have to take comfort in a reliable process for determining reality.

If you do not take an active role to confirm/criticize your own world view then your opinions of the world are probably based on distortion at best and fiction at worst.

If you don't take this graphic seriously you might as well give up trying to "stay informed."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what do you copy/pasta?***

Feb 24, 2018, 10:35 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you right click on a picture, you can see it's source.***

Feb 24, 2018, 10:39 AM

And in case you didn't already realize I wrote the post

Feb 24, 2018, 10:42 AM

myself.

This is the source, by the way

Feb 26, 2018, 1:04 PM [ in reply to If you right click on a picture, you can see it's source.*** ]

https://ultraculture.org/ultraculture/

Seems very SOLOSesque

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Misleading post you have there.

Feb 26, 2018, 7:55 PM

That website you posted did not author the content. They were mearly hosting one of the hundreds of copies of that picture. The actual sourceS (plural) are included on the actual picture. The author is Frugal Dad.

http://www.frugaldad.com/

The picture has been posted on several websites. I did a google search for the picture and lifted the first short link I could find. I have never visited the website that you are trying to use to chip away at the legitimacy of the picture.

These are facts.

See what happens when you dig deeper? You start to say less BS.

I consider myself to be "reasonable" and "moderate"

Feb 24, 2018, 12:45 PM

I don't have time for anything except a cursory fact check. I dont have time to request and review files under the freedom of information act. I dont have time to triangulate statements. I don't have time to review unedited CCTV feeds.

What I do have time to do is listen/read/watch a few sources and maintain a healthy degree of skepticism.

So where do you go for the truth? How do you fact check your sources? Where do you get unfiltered information? Do you fact check on your own or are you part of a team? How do you fund your operations?

If I'm in the Matrix, what is the red pill?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the thing. Having time.

Feb 27, 2018, 11:57 AM

There is not enough time for democracy to work if the media is centralized and controlled by narrow corporate interests. The only way for the amount of time we have to be compatible with a functional democracy is if our news media is prevented from becoming nothing more than elements of conglomerate, corporate trusts. (Think Teddy Roosevelt and Trust-busting.)

We were always vulnerable to the news media becoming commercialized. Once the values of independent journalism were overtaken by corporate interests, (profit, advantageous political narratives, entertainment, etc) it became impossible for honest, reasonable, moderates to know anything real about the world by relying exclusively on American mainstream media.

Historical context is a pre-requisite to being able to evaluate sources of news. If you don't already know a lot about a certain topic, then it is extremely difficult to ever have a high level of confidence. I use Twitter, among other things, so that I can test sources of information and downgrade/upgrade them based on a number of factors. Over time I have collected a couple hundred sources that guide me closer to reality than further away from it. And I never treat any of them as gospel. Sometimes you can distill what is likely true from comparing alternative perspectives. I am always willing to add/delete sources based on my own standards. But the standards are mine, not a corporation's.

Twitter is a double edged sword though, as most people create a massive network of confirmation bias. Plus, the people behind twitter clearly have their own agenda. I ignore the stories/tweets they push to the top of the "search" function.

I also try to focus on a few topics that are especially important to me, because there is never enough time to know enough to have a confident opinions about everything. People feel so entitled to an opinion, that they are susceptible for forming one after reading a subject title or two.

But for anyone with a genuine desire to be informed, Twitter (if used carefully) is the best tool I have been able to find. I'm sure it will be crushed one day. Facebook is long past dead as a source of any real information. Facebook is worse than mainstream media imo, as it is even more centralized and manipulated.

Replies: 7
| visibility 717
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic