Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wonder how high school football is going to be impacted
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Wonder how high school football is going to be impacted

Oct 30, 2013, 2:09 PM

by the continuing revelations around concussions...

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9902116/report-details-concussion-risks-high-school-athletes

Article on ESPN today indicates high school football players are experiencing 11.2 concussions per 1,000 athletic exposures. As a parent of a nine yr old who loves football we've not let our son play yet and don't know if we will.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wonder how high school football is going to be impacted

Oct 30, 2013, 2:11 PM

my grandson is almost that age and so far he isnt playing which suits me fine no that it is my call

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if you got rid of the facemasks if injuries would

Oct 30, 2013, 2:17 PM

decline.

I think you probably have to keep some type of helmet on the guys, but maybe eliminating facemasks would cause people to be a little more cautious with their hits.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenville County now requires the parents of any student

Oct 30, 2013, 2:20 PM

participating in any kind of school-sponsored athletics to sign a waiver and release form.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Is that a policy that is fairly new?

Oct 30, 2013, 2:43 PM

When I was growing up in Rhode Island once we got to middle school sports your parents had to sign a waiver and release before you could play regardless of sport. This continued into high school and I just thought that's the way it was everywhere. I graduated high school in 2002 so I'm just curious how recent this is happening in other places.

No. It's been around for more than 10 years

Oct 30, 2013, 3:04 PM

Greenville is pretty proactive with IMPACT testing of athletes. It's a concussion management system.

Over the last four years....

Oct 30, 2013, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Is that a policy that is fairly new? ]

my daughter has played middle school and high school volleyball. While we were required to sign a parents permission form, before this season I do not remember signing any type of waiver and release form. I believe they refer to it as a "Risk Acknowledgement" form.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

i just can't go that far, stopping the kids from playing the

Oct 30, 2013, 2:24 PM

game, that is. i've seen a guy hit his head on a windowsill (roll-out type window , in the phillipine islands), running around house, and gotten a concussion (and stitches), seen a guy hit in the head with a horseshoe, and sustained a concussion (and stitches). and been in an car wreck and sustained a concussion. we can only protect so much, got to let the guys (and kids) be guys (and kids).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those are accidents......

Oct 30, 2013, 2:38 PM

unless the people you have seen do this are the stars of the Jacka$$ movies...

kids, except the car wreck.

Oct 30, 2013, 2:47 PM

n/m

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do The Math!

Oct 30, 2013, 2:25 PM

Those values indicate a 1% chance that your son will suffer a concussion. That's correct, 1%. You should investigate the values associated with play ground accidents, riding a bike/skate board, etc.

Kickoffs will be eliminated and helmets will get a softer

Oct 30, 2013, 2:25 PM

exterior cover.

And fewer parents will allow their kids to play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My brother got a concussion falling from a tree

Oct 30, 2013, 2:27 PM

He turned out ok. I would be willing to bet that I've had a few concussions in my 8-10 years of playing football. I'm OK too.

My grandmother smoked cigs and lived to be 90. I don't

Oct 30, 2013, 2:33 PM

believe all the propaganda either. I'm gonna let my kids smoke if they want to. People die for all kinds of other reasons!

WOW^^^^^^

Oct 30, 2013, 3:03 PM

nm

All those NFL guys killing themselves having nothing to worr

Oct 30, 2013, 2:49 PM [ in reply to My brother got a concussion falling from a tree ]

about.

Those studies aren't scientific

Oct 30, 2013, 3:44 PM

couldn't the suicides just as likely be related to someone who's done one thing his entire life (play football) now feeling completely useless and without purpose in this world now that he's retired? You don't see very many current players taking their own lives, and you don't see the ones who became analysts, etc doing it either.

I advise all of you to not let your kids

Oct 30, 2013, 2:27 PM

Ride in a car. Those things are death boxes.........

Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home so

Oct 30, 2013, 2:38 PM

everyone will have to play away games

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

started playing when I was 6...

Oct 30, 2013, 3:03 PM

but I think it's best to hold off until junior high at least.

Kids can learn a great deal about the game playing in flag football leagues, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Franc's first serious post^^^***

Oct 30, 2013, 3:04 PM

null

He's turned over a new leaf***

Oct 30, 2013, 3:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

That or he's on the mailing list.***

Oct 30, 2013, 3:08 PM

null

surprisingly enough...

Oct 30, 2013, 3:09 PM

not this round. Please quit drawing attention to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^RA'ed^^^***

Oct 30, 2013, 3:13 PM

null

I'm surprised you're still here....

Oct 30, 2013, 3:08 PM [ in reply to ^^^Franc's first serious post^^^*** ]

time to bend Crump's ear some more

I will say football is at any level is a risk

Oct 30, 2013, 4:28 PM

I'm 19 now and I've had acl and mcl reconstruction, a shoulder that needs worked on, and 2-4 concussions, I haven't played football in over a year but I still have a headaches a lot and neck pains when laying down, most of my problems came from playing offensive tackle in a option offense where I was pulling to a trap guy 60% of the time and just trying to stick him(which included lowering my head, dumb I know) but if your kid or grandson has a passion for the game I wouldn't hold them back their is a risk in anything you do but their is also great rewards that come from football and life lessons

But in all honesty

Oct 30, 2013, 4:33 PM

I should've hung the cleats up my sophomore year after my 2nd concussion and when I was having really bad neck pains, I had walk on gurantees and quarter scholarships but nothing serious enough on the table to spend the money my parents did on knee surgery, rehab, and all

As long as we're going over HS head injuries...here's the

Oct 30, 2013, 5:10 PM

worst one I saw.

We were at track practice. So...all us slow linemen were in shotput line warming up.

You stood in a line at an angle from the circle (usually bs'ing, which was the fatal error)....each threw a few times...moved up in line.

I caught the shot out of the corner of my eye in time to duck back a little and it caught the guy next to me in the right front crown of his forehead.

It sounded like a head of lettuce being pulled open when it crunched.

Coaches hadn't gotten down yet because it was warmups....you talk about coaches scrambling and people panicking.

He left in the backseat of a coaches car with dust flying.... luckily he survived.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic