Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Womens Basketball question ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,318

Womens Basketball question ...

Mar 18, 2019, 12:48 PM

Should the goal be lowered for womens basketball to make the game more exciting ? Slam dunks ?

In softball, they shorten the base paths and outfield wall ...

Seems like a logical progressive step to me.

(Also, I think the women and mens games should be played as a doubleheader to save on travel costs, etc.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Womens Basketball question ...

Mar 18, 2019, 1:04 PM

First, I think the basket for the men should be raised to take into account how much taller men gave gotten over the years. But if we do that, women would be at an even bigger disadvantage. Adjustable baskets?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 1:04 PM

I would be in favor of lower baskets and smaller courts to create a sense of the game being played at a faster pace.

Like you suggested, this is basically the effect that softball gets by playing on a smaller field.

Everyone talks about how fast softball is played compared to baseball.

In reality, reaction times for high level softball are about the same as the Little League World Series.

The size of the field creates a watchable and exciting (for some people) product.

I'm not sure how high schools around the country or even most small colleges for that matter could accommodate the baskets and courts being different.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 1:11 PM

If you've watched college softball, it is a lot more exciting than college baseball. College baseball is nearly unwatchable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 1:25 PM

I do not find college baseball unwatchable.

The knock on baseball is that it is slower and boring because it has become all strike outs and home runs.

If you watch high level softball, it is all strike outs and home runs.

The main difference in the games is that baseball slows down due to pitching changes and with runners on base. The difference in having to hold runners and "playing matchups" with pitching in baseball considerably slows down the game.

Strike outs do not bore me when pitching is elite.

There is nothing boring about a home run.

The myth that "the game moves faster" is strictly based on perspective because of the field size.

The 65 mph pitch in softball from 45 ft is the same reaction time as 90-92mph in baseball.

I don't understand how people consider baseball unwatchable if they have interest in softball.

Mar 18, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Womens Basketball question ... ]

I would also ask you what parts of softball are more exciting?

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,318
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic