Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Woman pecked tp death by rooster
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,523

Woman pecked tp death by rooster

Sep 6, 2019, 3:38 PM

(CNN)A 76-year-old woman died in Australia recently after a few pecks from a rooster resulted in a catastrophic vein injury.
The alarming conclusion was published in the journal Forensic Science, Medicine and Pathology in late August.
According to pathologists from the University of Adelaide and the Netherlands Forensic Institute, a domestic rooster attacked the woman on her rural property, pecking at her left leg and "causing significant hemorrhage with collapse and death."
"Death was therefore due to exsanguination from bleeding varicose veins following an attack by a rooster," the researchers wrote. Exsanguination refers to draining of the blood, or a significant loss of blood.

The freak accident has less to do with killer fowl and more to do with a tragic confluence of preexisting conditions. The pathologists found the woman had been treated for hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes and varicose veins in the past.
"This case demonstrates that even relatively small domestic animals may be able to inflict lethal injuries in individuals if there are specific vascular vulnerabilities present," the paper concludes.

CNN has emailed the authors of the paper for comment.
There are a lot of conditions that could be considered "vascular vulnerabilities." Varicose veins, which ultimately contributed to the woman's death, aren't typically associated with serious health risks. However, some recent research has explored a link between varicose veins and potentially dangerous vascular conditions like deep venous thrombosis.

And while the manner of this woman's death is quite unusual, there are other, more common risks of raising chickens.
In 2018, a widespread salmonella outbreak from live poultry led the Centers for Disease Control to issue guidance about preventing the spread of the bacteria among backyard chicken populations.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/australia/rooster-peck-death-study-trnd/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Woman pecked tp death by rooster

Sep 6, 2019, 3:42 PM

Another reason to not be hanging around Peckerheads.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 3:48 PM

stupid chicken- pecking the hand that feed him

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 4:51 PM

The only thing I can say about that is this, if a little feathered coot/coots comes up and starts pecking on me, my work Buck knife, or my pocket custom Buck knife will assist me in cutting it's F-ing head off so that little p e c k e r, can't do me any harm... And that's all I have to say about that!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 5:05 PM

Crikey, Everything tries to kill you in Australia.

Sep 6, 2019, 5:08 PM

What gets me is that the common brown snake that hangs out in people's backyard is several times more venomous than any snake in the rest of the world.

Sep 6, 2019, 10:25 PM

Not True in North America. The poisonous Brown snakes live in Australia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Woman pecked tp death by rooster ]

U seen those GIANT Spiders they have there? Google

Here in the south when someone dies

Sep 6, 2019, 10:46 PM

We always fry up some chicken to help comfort the family. In this case I strongly suggest they do the same!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,523
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic