Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wofford clocked in at 24
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Wofford clocked in at 24

Feb 25, 2019, 4:43 PM

In the ap basketball top 25. Do we play them in non conference ever. Will they take an atlarge bid away from a power 5 conference if they don't win their tourney. Could hurt us if we are last 4 in or out. Need to hire there coach after brownell gets the boot next year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wofford clocked in at 24

Feb 25, 2019, 5:25 PM

Wofford is higher on the AT LARGE list, much higher than Clemson and would receive a bid before Clemson

Clemson fans should root for Wofford to win the SoCon and not take a bid away from the field. I have seen Wofford in some projections as high as a 6 seed. With only 2 games remaining and then the tournament, it is hard to see Wofford stumbling now.

Wofford has not lost this calendar year and the only 4 losses came to UNC (beat us), Kansas (clobbered us) and Miss St and Oklahoma which we should have beaten both of them.

Wofford is a #### good team, deep and talented, big with size and of course can shoot lights out. Fletcher McGee just broke Stephon Curry's 3 pt record for the league and has a chance to be the all-time best 3 point shooter in NCAA history. Needs 28 with 4 games guaranteed left to play and maybe more.

Wofford has not played Clemson since 2010 and has only played Clemson 3 times in 20 years. We have never played well at Littlejohn and only came close to winning on one occasion.

Over the past few years, Wofford has beaten UNC at Chapel Hill (no comment), So Carolina, Georgia Tech, NC State and Texas Tech.

This is a dangerous team and no one will want to be on the other side of the bracket against us in an early round game.

I see no way Mike Young leaves Wofford for Clemson. He has been at the school for 30 years, has the best facilities in the area. A brand new arena, NFL quality facilities, weight rooms, and practice space, a supportive admin, unlimited resources for our level and a place he loves. His wife is a partner at Price Waterhouse and his kids are in school in Sptbg. Hard to see him leaving all that for a football school which only plays lip service to basketball.

He seems to be a good coach but would be a huge gamble for Clemson.

Feb 25, 2019, 5:56 PM

Should Clemson be looking for a coach anytime soon, that is.

Clemson’s M.O. of hiring a mid-major coach and hoping he will be successful in ACC basketball is a huge gamble. It’s one thing to build a winning program and sustain it at the mid-major level, and another thing entirely to do it at Clemson in the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

you're right about it being a gamble

Feb 25, 2019, 6:01 PM

Look at women's bball. The mid major route didn't work. Butler was an experienced power conference coach who had success at Florida. She was let go there because they felt she plateaued (never better than NCAA 2nd round) which for us would be great.

When Drad does decide to hire a new coach, I hope he does

Feb 25, 2019, 9:58 PM

try to replicate what he did with Amanda Butler. Find someone with power five, or at least high mid-major, experience and around 45-50 years old. Someone much younger than that will just use us as a stepping stone if they are successful here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He seems to be a good coach but would be a huge gamble for Clemson.

Feb 25, 2019, 10:53 PM [ in reply to He seems to be a good coach but would be a huge gamble for Clemson. ]

I agree.....we took a gamble with Coach BB and loss.....Go Tigers!!!!!

I think a winning basketball coach from

Feb 25, 2019, 11:07 PM [ in reply to He seems to be a good coach but would be a huge gamble for Clemson. ]

basically any level could succeed at Clemson, as long as he can recruit. Not sure why you think one couldn't succeed just because he comes from the mid-major level?

Because ACC basketball is very different from mid-major

Feb 26, 2019, 1:16 PM

basketball.

Many, many coaches have done well at the mid-major level, but have not been able to replicate that in major college basketball. That is especially true at Clemson, which as we all know is a very tough job with subpar administrative support and no real basketball history.

I'm not saying that a mid-major coach can't build a winner at Clemson, but sustaining that success and also staying here to continue that success has literally never happened here.

Why not hire a guy who has built a winner on the major college basketball level? His chances of success would seem to be much better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I wouldn't have any issue hiring a guy

Feb 26, 2019, 9:19 PM

from a major program, but, who are some examples?

You also said something about Clemson’s M.O. of hiring a mid-major coach and hoping he will be successful but wasn't. Like who? M.O.? Really?

I just dont know who all these major program coaches are, and too, there are many examples of guys moving from one successful stint at a major program but ultimately failing at another without any real sustained success. In other words, other than very high level guys who arent going to move down to Clemson, are there really any high level program guys we would even want let alone get? Name many, not just a couple or few.

I think a coach from basically any semi-advanced or mid-level could succeed at Clemson...as long as he has a vision and can recruit.

We once hired a WR coach with ZERO head coaching experience, but he had a vision and can recruit. How'd that work out?

you think he would leave for Wake Forest?

Feb 25, 2019, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Wofford clocked in at 24 ]

I've heard that chatter

What is your all-time record vs. Clemson?

Feb 25, 2019, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Wofford clocked in at 24 ]

We could have him if we wanted him. Congrats on the good season.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is your all-time record vs. Clemson?

Feb 25, 2019, 10:45 PM

Well considering Clemson tries to play in the elite conference in the country and Wofford was NAIA 25 years ago

and

Wofford spends a nickel or less on the dollar compared to Clemson Athletics, I would fully expect Clemson and every other major school to have a decidedly better record.

But I do know which team is better this year and much better coach during the last decade. I know who does more with less, has won 4 conference titles in 8 years and sells out excitement game and not just for Duke and North Carolina. And I know who has a win in Chapel Hill and who doesn't after 75 years of trying.

And no stop being arrogant, you could not have him if you snapped your fingers. Some people have integrity and are happy to honor their word and know they are in the best situation for them and their family. The arrogance of some people astounds me

you guys can sell out a 3,400 seat stadium?***

Feb 25, 2019, 11:26 PM

Re: you guys can sell out a 3,400 seat stadium?***

Feb 26, 2019, 12:01 AM

Well I am not sure you are asking seriously or not so I will bite either way.

I doubt Wofford had ever sold a basketball game prior to the new arena (USC opening game and Ga Tech and UNC sold out) and I can think of only three or four football games ever to sell out.

This year just about every home game has sold out during the conference season ad did UNC and many other games last season.

Wofford only has 1500 students and only about 800 on campus during winter term. Spartanburg has never supported the school up until the new arena opened.

Clemson with 20K students never fills Littlejohn except for Duke, or the Carolinas.

I think it pretty amazing since Wofford will also be behind Clemson and Carolina when it comes to the popularity of the athletic programs. I never understand why Wofford grads would rather go to a game at Clemson than support their Alma Mater.

Feb 25, 2019, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Wofford clocked in at 24 ]

What types of offers did his best players have? Like McKillop at Davidson, it appears Young can identify players who have good talent level and blend very well as a team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Barring a catastrophe - Tdogs are in on at large...Furman

Feb 25, 2019, 7:10 PM

might be too. So Con may have 2 in - UNC Greensboro aint far out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Barring a catastrophe - Tdogs are in on at large...Furman

Feb 25, 2019, 10:56 PM

Furman's out of conference strength of schedule is 305. No team lower than 141 has ever been awarded an AT LARGE Bid in the past 20 years.

Furman has a good record because they played a garbage non-conference slate except a rebuilding Villanova and a depleted Loyola and a loss to LSU.

If Furman had played anyone with a pulse in the other 12 games they would have double-digit losses.

Look at this non-conference dumpster fire.

205 Gardner-Webb
214 Charleston Southern
264 UNCW
294 Elon
340 South Carolina Upstate
349 UNC Asheville

Bob Jones
Southern Weslyn
North Greenville

That is 9 of their 11 non-conference wins
With a win over Villanova and Loyola and a Loss to LSU added to the above.
That is how Furman 11-1 in non-conference play.

They also have a loss to 161 Samford,
2 Losses to #19 Wofford
and losses to ETSU And UNCG
One Top 100 win and a 3-6 record against Quad 1 and Quad 2 sends you to the NIT.

Feb 26, 2019, 12:27 AM

If we played Wofford's schedule, I suspect we would have the same record. If Wofford played our schedule, I do not think their record would be as good as ours. Of course, this is all opinion, but I strongly suspect that our strength of schedule is much greater than theirs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2019, 5:35 PM

Clemson SOS 34
Wofford SOS 108

Non conference
Wofford 96
Clemson 112

Wins
Q1
Wofford 3-4
Clemson 1-8

Q2
Wofford 4-0
Clemson 3-3

Total Wins Q1 and Q2
Wofford 7-4
Clemson 4- 11

If we played 52 more times at Chapel Hill and lost all of them then we would still have more wins there than Clemson. :;0

jWow - you sure are a s&%t head for a terrier...***

Feb 26, 2019, 5:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2019, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Wofford clocked in at 24 ]

As a life long Tiger fan, former IPTAY donor and a Wofford graduate I believe I can speak to the matter.

Tiger fans - recognize Wofford has built their program over several decades, success hasn’t come easily! Mike Young loves Wofford and Spartanburg the same way Dabo does Clemson. Rather than play team comparison how about congratulate instead. Wofford alumni have every right to celebrate the achievement and recognition.

Clemson Basketball will never reach the degree of success experienced by Wofford under Mike Young until the fans and administration get on the same page and demand the level of support and voice the yearly expectations of a championship caliber program, but to many Clemson people have no desire to see funds go to support a sport they see as an inconsistent program. Yet those same persons cannot conceive of letting Tiger Baseball or Football fail. Therein lies the dilemma. You get out what you put into a program. Make the investment, find a leader and have expectations and see the results. That is the Wofford difference in basketball.

Wofford has expectations of success no matter the program! Alumni buy in and provide accordingly. Quit comparing and instead appreciate excellence wherever it occurs.

Go Terriers and Tigers!

jeez......u guys.

Feb 26, 2019, 6:46 PM

OK - I also have a Wofford Degree -

1) You are on a Clemson - THE CLEMSON - message board.
2) I am very proud of Tdogs - yip, yip.
3) for realz, Tdogs wil cause problems, but they have beat ONE P5 team - being the gamecooties by 20...that was a good un.
4) Young is awesome - all agree -
5) If you think that Wofford would stand a better record against CU schedule - you risk troll status.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic