Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will mainstream music ever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 2,499

Will mainstream music ever

Jul 11, 2020, 7:03 PM

Go back to people actually playing music. By this I mean a guy or girl who can play an instrument and sing a the same time. Not something that is just rap music with a beat. My main music listening is from the 90's (born early 80s) and anything before that. Do kids these days not form bands in the garages anymore or are they too busy playing video games. If you got some new music that isn't rap send it my way. To be honest I listen to a lot of jam bands, maybe that my problem but love classic rock and most 80's and 90's tunes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tightened it up for ya

Jul 11, 2020, 7:10 PM

" I don't like rap music "

- jrsimps

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I would have to agree with that part of it. To me, putting

Jul 12, 2020, 11:44 AM

"Rap" and "music" in the same sentence is an outright lie. You can call it rap communication, rap speech, rap rhyming, or whatever, but don't tell me that rap is music.

The dictionary definition of music states: "Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form."

Nope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me either . . .

Jul 12, 2020, 6:06 PM [ in reply to I tightened it up for ya ]

But I have ZERO problems with those that perform it or enjoy it . . . It's just not my preference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tightened it up for ya

Jul 11, 2020, 7:10 PM

- jrsimps

DB23

I tightened it up for ya

Jul 11, 2020, 7:11 PM

- jrsimps

DB23

Dug, are you sampling yourself?***

Jul 11, 2020, 7:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will mainstream music ever

Jul 11, 2020, 7:17 PM

Simple answer yes. The underground scene will come back to mainstream at some point.

Jul 11, 2020, 7:24 PM

Don’t be naive, there are plenty of great performance bands out there. The radio is going to do whatever payola says they should so just ignore that if it isn’t your thing and get Spotify.

If you are looking for new bands to listen, I’ll offer a few suggestions.

Songhoy Blues
Leon Bridges
Shinyribs
William Tyler
Heat Preacher
Wrinkle Neck Mules
Future Birds
Khruangbin
Western Centuries

Something for everyone in there!

Never heard of any of them. no offense intended btw.***

Jul 11, 2020, 8:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never heard of any of them. no offense intended btw.***

Jul 11, 2020, 10:47 PM

None taken, I was pulling from some of the newer music oriented bands that aren’t getting much radio time or press. To OP’s point, radio only plays what Sony and WB wants them to play which is mostly pop, electronic and hip hop, so if your looking for new music and that’s not your style, you have to dig a little deeper.

I’m mostly a southern rock and outlaw country guy. Waylon, Willie, Greg and Duane, that sort of thing. But no need to preach on them, plenty radio stations run their hits all day.

Jul 11, 2020, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Will mainstream music ever ]

there's also the dirty "ashho;es", terrific country/rock.

I heard they stink...........

Jul 11, 2020, 9:52 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rap isn’t even the most popular mainstream music anymore

Jul 11, 2020, 7:27 PM

That was the 2000s

Jul 11, 2020, 7:50 PM

Since you like jam bands have you listened to Goose?

Jul 11, 2020, 8:06 PM

As a former band member that played in bands all my life no kids are too busy playing games well you know the deal.

Music now is mostly computerized with no talent just tech savvy. The days of good bands that actually play and sing

are almost a lost art.

I really liked the Eagles that was on espn last week. I saw about 11 or so guys playing instruments but what amazed

me is that they all sang and first time I have ever seen all members of a band singing great show.

I am so thankful I grew up with the best music in the 70's and 80's.

Jul 11, 2020, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Will mainstream music ever ]

As a former band member that played in bands all my life no kids are too busy playing games well you know the deal.

Music now is mostly computerized with no talent just tech savvy. The days of good bands that actually play and sing

are almost a lost art.

I really liked the Eagles that was on espn last week. I saw about 11 or so guys playing instruments but what amazed

me is that they all sang and first time I have ever seen all members of a band singing great show.

I am so thankful I grew up with the best music in the 70's and 80's.

No.

Jul 11, 2020, 8:02 PM

But in this day and age you can find what you are looking for with streaming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No.

Jul 11, 2020, 8:31 PM

Dug is correct. Rap is nothing but noise. It comes nowhere close to music.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mainstream is usually for teenage girls

Jul 11, 2020, 8:54 PM

Occasionally they like stuff like Iron & Wine and Mumford & Sons (which is about as mainstream as you can get). There is more singer-songwriter music readily available now than at any time I can remember. Covid is killing my concert/show habit, so I'm not discovering new bands that way right now.

Try WXPN on Tune-In or another internet radio app. Or Spectrum on XM.

Art, Music, Movies, Plays, Television,...

Jul 11, 2020, 9:48 PM

devolving into meaningless, uninspired, formulaic sewage.

Re: Art, Music, Movies, Plays, Television,...

Jul 11, 2020, 10:57 PM

You are looking in the wrong places, there’s still plenty of great art being produced in the world. Certainly more bad, lazy or uninspired art than ever, but don’t let that distract you from people who are making interesting art.

Music is an algorithm now, it’s a formula that record

Jul 12, 2020, 11:06 AM

Companies use to sell billboard hits. I remember the YouTube clip of mashing up 12 new country songs that had the exact same tune just different octaves and slightly altered arrangements. At that point I knew music was officially dead. It’s all just a quick money grab, no art, no soul. It will come back one day but that ain’t today.

https://youtu.be/FY8SwIvxj8o

This isn’t the 12 song one, couldn’t find it, but it’s out there. But this is a taste of how mainstream is created these days. They just want to make money off of stupid people.

Jul 12, 2020, 3:54 PM

Personally I am a 70s rock n roll guy. My favorite has to the Doobie Brothers (before Michael McDonald). But anything beats Rap.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

New music type recently developed/merged:

Jul 12, 2020, 6:27 PM

Country + Rap = CRAP

Can't even listen to it.

Go Tigers!!!

Replies: 24
| visibility 2,499
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic