Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is it always up to CBV to find a way for the Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Why is it always up to CBV to find a way for the Defense

Jan 8, 2020, 3:05 PM

to win the game?

I mean, I an confident that he will come up with new looks to keep LSU guessing. He just finds a way. He will find a way to protect Muse and Turner in coverage... he will find a way to get some pressure on Burrow (I hope!)... he will find a way to stop Clyde Edwards-Hellaire's rushing game... I just know he will because he always does. He's the best at what he does.

But how about if the OCs come up with something new. Something to take a little pressure off the defense? Other than the fake-QB-draw-pop-pass (a brilliant call, BTW) in the Fiesta Bowl, when's the last time they trotted out a new wrinkle? We continue to throw the same routes to Tee and Justyn, and at least in the case of OSU, they were sitting on them. I'm not sure how healthy either of them are after the OSU game-- without a doubt one of the top 2 or 3 most physical games I've seen in over 65 years of watching college football. Maybe breaking them loose on some fly patterns or post routes instead of a steady diet of jump balls. Maybe a hitch-and-go off of a screen? A skinny post or two? We continue to underutilize the center of the field. In the Fiesta, Amari was targeted twice the entire game. And what about coming up with a way to create some running lanes for ETN and Lyn-J?

I don't know the magic bullets, but I'm convinced that our coaching brain trust will find them. I don't look for this game to get out of hand early... either way. Out in Glendale, I leaned over and said to my wife in the middle of the 2nd quarter, if we don't stop them here, we might get too far behind to catch up. But I've gotta tell you, I never lost faith. Even at the end of the game, I didn't think there was any way we could lose. It was just like the Miracle at Raymond James... I told everyone around me when Hurts scored to put Bama up 31-28, "We've finally got them where we want them."

I expect both teams to spend half a quarter poking and prodding... but I don't want Clemson to take too long before they start breaking it loose. Then I expect Clemson to put the pedal to the metal like they did in the Natty in Santa Clara. They are certainly capable, and being the underdog, there's no reason to be tight and conservative.

This will be a close game, and I truly don't want it to be... not sure my 70+ year old heart will take many more Fiesta Bowls... or Nattys in Tampa... I'd love another Whupping in Santa Clara, but whatever it takes, they're my Tigers, and I'll be screaming for them. As for a prediction, Real Tigers 42 Faux Tigers 30. Go Real Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because

Jan 8, 2020, 3:10 PM

defense wins championships.

Offenses can score and score and score. The team that stops the other the most wins

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Because

Jan 8, 2020, 3:13 PM

;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 4:38 PM

Because that is CBV job. It’s why we pay him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Because ]

But the offense performing takes some pressure off the defense.

I know D wins the game (that's why I played D), but at the end of the day, its a team effort.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in some sense yes, but not if

Jan 8, 2020, 3:16 PM

the defense can't stop the other offense from scoring.

You don't want it to be that you always have to score each possession on offense too.

Defense, in these type of games against similarly matched teams takes the cake.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Why is it always up to CBV to find a way for the Defense

Jan 8, 2020, 3:19 PM

You do realize we averaged over 43 ppg this year , right ? I mean sure , CBV got a couple of pic 6s and whatnot but our offense performed at a high level this entire season .

Team .

Go Tigers

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 8, 2020, 3:34 PM

You totally missed my point. I know you watched the Fiesta Bowl, but did you not think OSU was sitting on every route... except the pop pass? I'm only suggesting that, like in the UVA ACCCG, the offense light it up and take a little pressure off the D.

Jan 8, 2020, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it always up to CBV to find a way for the Defense ]

Amen!!!

Jan 8, 2020, 3:20 PM

It ain't broke- don't try to fix it. Its not just BV- its all of them- BV is just a master mind at defense. WE could get you Kevin Steele back if u want and we will lose 70-33! Be thankful we have this genius!

Excuse me? At what point did I doubt Brent?

Jan 8, 2020, 3:30 PM

Are you kidding me? Is suggesting that the OCs come up with a wrinkle or two doubting BV? Please!

Jan 8, 2020, 3:22 PM

Because defense wins championships.

Jan 8, 2020, 3:27 PM

The Clemson offense AND defense have been awesome for 29 straight games. Let's make it one more to close out this season. GooooooTigers!!!!!!! (CU)

Should we try some Bubble Screens and the FlexBone?

Jan 8, 2020, 3:30 PM

I'm pretty sure RichRod, Naipier and Hatfield aren't doing much on Monday night. I'm sure they'd be happy to get some work in.

Yeesh man, you're too old and been around too long to be that crazy.

Let Jimmy Greenbeans and the rest do the jobs we're paying them for. They just might know what they are doing.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

That was totally uncalled for.

Jan 8, 2020, 4:09 PM

Go back and read my post. I can assure you that nothing you said had anything to do with it.

I could say more, but why bother?

Jan 8, 2020, 3:33 PM

It is not BV coming up with a magical ingenious scheme in these games that makes us win.

Eventhough he does just that in a big game - it really boils down to the fundamentals he forces all the players to excel at before they get playing time.

We maintain gaps
We breakdown on tackles*
We tackle well in open field (wrap up instead of shoulder knocks)
We compete for the ball while it is in the air (DBs)
We keeps eyes up for reads and breakdowns

A bunch goes into an individual to get them on the field and playing well. Then he schematically gets in front of the offensive tendencies and makes changes on the fly to counter what they are doing well.

I watched the Alabama and GA games (condensed) and the biggest problem for both of those defenses were breaking down for tackles. The players that had good shots at Burrow or the RB over extended and missed sacks and tackles and gave un-needed yardage. You don't have to make the big hit every
play, just get the guy with the ball down.

Making them earn every scrap of turf pays off over the course of a game....especially with our offense.

Ga really hurt themselves on defense going for the big hits and getting air instead. Really cost them. Alabama gave up a bunch of yards trying to strip the ball lose on open field tackles.

Our defense over several years has shown a better fundamental focus on making a stop and forcing offenses to earn the yardage. Hats off to all the defensive coaches and to BV in particular because it is the demand for that in the spring and summer camp that give us a chance to win a National Title in January.

Powerpoint bullet summary for the tl;dr crowd

Jan 8, 2020, 3:35 PM

Powerpoint Summary:

1) Confident that BV will come up with new looks to keep LSU guessing.

2) Hopeful that the Clemson offense carries its weight come Monday.

3) Trust the Clemson coaches to have the team prepared.

4) Teams will feel each other out (not be confused with how Christian Wilkins does it) initially.

5) Clemson will pull away eventually for the win.

6) Prediction: Clemson:42 LSU:30

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Powerpoint bullet summary for the tl;dr crowd

Jan 8, 2020, 4:02 PM

Thanks for the summary, "92." That's pretty much what I thought I said. After the responses, I had to go back and re-read my post. Yep, I pretty much said (1) I trust BV to do whatever he needs to, (2) I trust the offensive brain trust, but I'd like to see a few wrinkles to take a little pressure off the defense-- LIKE THE SANTA CLARA NATTY, where the offense allowed the defense to play a little more free-wheeling. I'm still looking for where I asked for Rich Rodriguez or Kevin Steele or Billy Napier, suggested fixing what ain't broke, and a few others I might have missed. LOL.

Anyway, Go Tigers! I'll be in Sect 145, Row 7 if you want to come down and cheer with me!

Re: Powerpoint bullet summary for the tl;dr crowd

Jan 8, 2020, 4:36 PM

You are a true fan and I look forward to living vicariously through your experiences at the game. Let us know how things are going when you get to NOLA and the game.

I’ll be down in my man cave in Michigan...yes Michigan - watching OUR Tigers and you fine folks in the stands who put in the time and money to support our beloved team.

Section 145 ...Plaza level. Well done.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Under-utilize the middle of the field"

Jan 8, 2020, 3:35 PM

That is 100% true. That needs to change.

Maybe they've been saving that for the RBs and TEs...

Jan 8, 2020, 4:14 PM

Nothing for LSU to prep for on record...

Re: Maybe they've been saving that for the RBs and TEs...

Jan 8, 2020, 4:22 PM

That's what I'm hoping... maybe a couple of skinny posts to Galloway...

Jan 8, 2020, 7:33 PM

Man i hope we see this. we rarely use the middle of the field.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 9:42 PM

Seems like Leggett was always good for one TD strike across the middle a game. Trevor going to run and no going away from that, but hope they keep ETN involved. At times seems like we quit to give up on the run and guy can make chicken salad out of chicken poo if you get him the ball. Really like how they gave him the ball in space against OSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 9:52 PM

No matter how bad the game goes, if the opponent can't score, you can't lose!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic