Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Wofford such a high seed? Who did they beat?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Why is Wofford such a high seed? Who did they beat?

Mar 18, 2019, 12:25 PM

They did win 29 games, but it appears that they did not do particularly well versus the so-called Quad 1 teams.

I honestly believe Clemson would have won all the games that Wofford won this year, and perhaps a couple more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Wofford such a high seed? Who did they beat?

Mar 18, 2019, 12:32 PM

They do have the #1 three point shooter in the nation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 12:32 PM

There was a notable mid-major bias in this year's tournament selection. I'm very happy for Wofford and think they are poised to make an impressive run in this tournament, but them being a 7 seed along with Belmont and St. John's (I tend to consider the "new" Big East a midmajor conference) being in the tournament at all shows that the committee was valuing mid-majors more heavily than expected.

At the end of the day, the tournament selection process is entirely subjective and seems to mostly be based upon the "eye test." There is no POSSIBLE metric upon which Wofford is a 7-seed and St. John's is in the tournament, but NC State and Clemson aren't even in any real consideration. The NET, which was so vaunted all season, meant nothing. The committee values TV ratings, intriguing matchups, and Cinderella storylines above all, and I think moving forward people need to quit putting so much stock into these arbitrary "metrics" regarding which teams are going to make the field and how they are going to be seeded.

Mar 18, 2019, 12:37 PM

Hope I am wrong but Seton Hall is going to wax them.

Mar 18, 2019, 12:44 PM

Depends on which Seton Hall shows up to that game. The Seton Hall that beat Marquette in the Big East tournament and has wins over Kentucky and Maryland could make a Final Four run. The Seton Hall that lost by 30 to Nebraska and gave up 97 points to DePaul? I'm taking Wofford all day.

Wofford vs. Seton Hall is one of the toughest first round matchups to pick in this year's bracket. It's a pick-em in my mind.

Mar 18, 2019, 12:53 PM

Well I expect them to show up. They are a dang good team and Wofford has been beaten by 11+ against every big school that have played. I picked Seton Hall ofcourse but I will be pulling for Wofford.

A little misleading in that 3 of those losses were

Mar 18, 2019, 1:55 PM

by exactly 11 points, and they were in all those games in the 2nd half. Even the one blowout at Kansas, Wofford only trailed by 2 points in the 2nd half, then Kansas went on a 27-0 run.

Also, they won at South Carolina by 20 points (you said "big school", and they would qualify).

Mar 18, 2019, 12:41 PM

Have you actually watched Wofford play? They’re a really good team. Shoot 3’s at a very high rate and have active, athletic bigs that rebound very well.

No ... just looked at results and saw no impressive wins.

Mar 18, 2019, 11:51 PM

They won 29 games against teams all of whom Clemson would have beaten.

They played reasonably well, but still lost to teams that Clemson would have played well against.

Just not sure how that adds up to a #7 seed in the NCAAs for Wofford.

Mar 18, 2019, 12:49 PM

They beat the coots by 20 as the away team :)

Not that that was a quality win but it was over the cooties.

They lost to #17 Kansas by 25...

Good luck to them in the tournament.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you live in Spartanburg you would find it about as

Mar 18, 2019, 12:57 PM

hard to hope Wofford wins as you do our little brother down the state. Their fans look down there nose like Wofford is some ivy league school.

Re: If you live in Spartanburg you would find it about as

Mar 18, 2019, 1:34 PM

their

Re: If you live in Spartanburg you would find it about as

Mar 18, 2019, 2:31 PM [ in reply to If you live in Spartanburg you would find it about as ]

If Wofford is the "Harvard of the South" does this mean Clemson can be the "MIT of the South"? If so, does this mean the Upstate is the "Boston of the South"?

You are right - those folks think pretty highly of their school. My daughter goes there and I have no problem with the education she is receiving, but it is no Ivy League school - and thank goodness for that! If the yahoos who want to think Wofford is in the same category as any recognized Ivy League school they would realize that undergraduate education (the only thing Wofford does) is a secondary concern for the Ivy League.

There is good reason for a Wofford student to be proud of the institution they attend, and their basketball program has done extremely well this season. But I understand the problem of wishing them well given their arrogance.

How is UNCG rated so high...i didn't see Wofford in there

Mar 18, 2019, 2:48 PM

Must be talking about one of the other tournaments that's going on...

???

Mar 18, 2019, 11:54 PM

?

???

Mar 18, 2019, 11:54 PM [ in reply to How is UNCG rated so high...i didn't see Wofford in there ]

?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic