Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ)

Jun 18, 2018, 11:51 AM

You don't have to... just as you don't have to choose between having cerosis of the liver or type II diabetes... You can choose the alternative.. a better option if you will. So why does anyone pick to be a gamecock fan when there is a litany of better options?

I've always just assumed if you're a gamecock fan you're one by being born into a board members family or something where you're made to support the family business kinda thing. But there shouldn't be a ton of those out there. There's just this dingy, white trash, nasty/cynical disposition that i feel sticks to that fanbase. And i've been around it and have proved it through experiences and have found that its pretty consistent throughout.

So why choose to be a loser? And not a lovable loser but a ugly bitter loser. One that the rest of society despises and avoids as much as possible. I don't know why you would want to be apart of that cesspool unless you just were told or made to be there. We live in a country where you can see all the other brighter options and choose better. Maybe you're not up to the standard of a Clemson fan.. thats fine.. choose a UGA. They're somewhat successful and have a ton of excitement over there or maybe a UNC fan, they have a legendary basketball program... or if you're more prone to like a loser then pick Tennessee.. they have a history at least and have the hope and probability that they can get back to that if they get the right admin in place.

But south carolina?? why? Whats the point. Unless you're just a masochist and thrive off of bitterness.You're colors are gloomy, your city is an armpit and only useful for Live PD, and your fellow fans act oblivious to social norms and are perceived as unruly outcasts.

I bring this up b/c dustin johnson had a yardage book with a big gamecock symbol on it... all these thoughts just poured out of my mouth and brain all at once and i had this sour look on my face. WE've all been there i'm sure. But the main question was...why?

Thank you God bless.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In full agreement. I started pulling against him the second

Jun 18, 2018, 12:06 PM

I saw that book. I would rather Justin Rose win.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ)

Jun 18, 2018, 12:09 PM

Just be polite... my grandmother always said that we shouldn't stare at people, that they couldn't help the way God made them... but if they start getting uppity, that polite stuff goes out the window.

I have no clue! My guess is they like losing.

Jun 18, 2018, 12:10 PM

TBH though many can't get in Clemson and it causes resentment but they need to know about the bridge program.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm no psychologist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Jun 18, 2018, 1:11 PM

I don't think they *like* losing, but that they expect to lose. The fan base is made of of individuals of mediocre capability and although there are times they are successful it is the exception not the rule.

So they are bitter and curse those with more ability and more success. And convince themselves that their fruitless struggles are somehow more noble. Look at all they have to contend with. And they are proud of that losing struggle. The losing makes them even more proud because anyone can cheer for a winner but only the best fans in the world can cheer for a such a consistent loser.

And on the rare occasion that the stars align and they have some brief random success they will crow to the high heavens because they have triumphed over those shiny golden winners who always have it so good and so easy.

They have convinced themselves of this noble struggle. It is depressing. Their colors are dark and depressing. They think they are in some special club of fandom, but really they are just proud losers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yes I think you put that very well. They don't like losing but as a coot it's thrust upon them!

Jun 19, 2018, 7:39 AM

Theyhonest to goodness don't know any better. Sad actually.

Be nice.. an inferior education is better than no

Jun 18, 2018, 12:18 PM

Education

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Be nice.. an inferior education is better than no

Jun 18, 2018, 1:54 PM

The facts are that the majority of USC students couldn't get into Clemson so they are stuck in Columbia. Once you attend a school it's normal to be a fan of that school. What choice do they have?

If you're only going by winning history, everyone would

Jun 18, 2018, 12:21 PM

be a Bama or Michigan or Ohio State or Miami of ND fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you're only going by winning history, everyone would

Jun 18, 2018, 1:44 PM

Can Miami really be in that group considering before 1984 and the fingertip win over Nebraska they were a nobody in College Football? FSU has a slightly longer history of being a winner since 1976.

Jun 18, 2018, 12:25 PM

If they all chose Clemson, you'd have Clemson fans throwing waters bottles at players.

Jun 18, 2018, 1:44 PM

I chose USC because I felt it was more dynamic and professional.

Jun 18, 2018, 1:52 PM

Jun 18, 2018, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

COULDNT GET IN CLEMSON HUH. DONT FEEL BAD.

Jun 18, 2018, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

WOW,just WOW.

Nothing says professional like "Trojan"

Jun 18, 2018, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Did you get to meet Will Ferrell when you were at USC?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 18, 2018, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Let’s see...
- getting to walk past homeless people on your way to the library
- railroad tracks
- taking a shuttle bus to your off campus stadium
- tailgate shenanigans to be famous for
- getting arrested at five points for various states of drunkenness
Yep dynamic and professional exactly how I would describe it....

Jun 18, 2018, 8:13 PM

Are you forgetting getting shot at 5 points? That's a real minus.

Jun 19, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Who cares. We obviously have an actual downtown filled with a crap ton of fun college bars and an actual nightlife scene.... College kids like to party.

Our students like to party too...

Jun 19, 2018, 1:57 PM

Not sure "crap ton" has ever been used in a more appropriate

Jun 19, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

reference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh my goodness, a Coot post with

Jun 18, 2018, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

two words with more than two syllables.

you like c0cks***

Jun 18, 2018, 2:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2018, 3:55 PM

I always figured it was because they lost a bet.

Mama's balls.***

Jun 18, 2018, 8:50 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same reason some people like to take meth

Jun 19, 2018, 12:07 AM

some people bought richard simmons videos

and some people listen to rap music

I suppose.

I think they call it "Masochism."

Jun 19, 2018, 1:01 AM

Because of people like you. The one guy in the room who's obnoxious, conceited and a narcissistic prick. He's always a Clemson fan who's convinced that Clemson has achieved more than any other school in the country. I have met one humble Clemson fan in my lifetime. I would rather my team lose every game of every season than pull for Clemson and yes I did have a choice. I was not born into a Carolina or Clemson family. However my uncle was a Clemson grad and he was and still is the loudest most obnoxious a** you will ever meet and I would literally pull for whoever was playing Clemson from a young age simply because of how much he and his family and friends made my skin crawl. The funny part is it seemed like every Clemmer I met from that point on reminded me of him. So yes, people become SCAR fans simply because of how repulsive Clemson fans are. For me it never had anything to do with the actual athletic teams. I really have no beef with your coaches or players. Just the fans. And just so you know I'm a LEO and I have to deal with the general public daily. There are just as many trashy tiger fans as gamecock fans, the only difference is that they are usually more obnoxious when under the influence.

Somebody forgot to flush......

Jun 19, 2018, 3:10 AM

and left a large one floating

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2018, 4:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Your point was close... we don’t think we have achieved more than any other school in the country, just more than any other school in the state. Sports is a no brainer... in the big 3 it’s not even close right now. You guys have some basketball history and more recently baseball history, but luckily for us you hired a coach for an AD and the gap is growing. Baseball seemingly may interesting again but until you win a head to head you can’t argue. Basketball you had a lucky run with a great player but you have no program. It seems Clemson is set up for a nice run of being average which is more than you can say right now. I don’t need to discuss football just try to cross the 50. Academics, not really close especially in overall university ranking and more so science degrees (the ones that matter). Try looking up other stats such as SAT scores, average starting salaries, research dollars, etc... and you can see maybe while narcissistic we at least prove we are indeed better than SCar.

Jun 19, 2018, 7:40 AM

Um yea man you can keep the head to head record in baseball. We'll keep our national championships and the head to heads in Omaha

Jun 19, 2018, 7:50 AM

Baseball is the only spectator sport that allows an observer to take a 90 minute nap and not miss a thing.

You'd be better off pounding your chest over Wimmens Basketball.

I have to give you props for your passion. However,

Jun 19, 2018, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

It’s interesting that from your post your fandom for South Carolina is more about your hatred for Clemson than your love for So. Carolina. Also, the fact that you are on tigernet is insightful. I love Clemson because I love Clemson not because I hate South Carolina. And I’m not on fgf, I’m on tigernet. So I have to wonder is this some kind of battered woman syndrome? If so, there is help available.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2018, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Couldn't Clemson fans say that to you about football and that "5 peat" that's about to get matched...and doubled since 2 teams are about to do it in one single year?? Just a point to think about.

"Um yea man you can keep the 5 peat you've ever had in football. We'll keep our national championships, conference championships, the historical 7 peat that's bigger than the 5 peat, the 5 peat match, the better bowl record, and the overall record."

Oops.

Jun 19, 2018, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Yeah...i'm not buying that. Clemson fans are among the

Jun 19, 2018, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

nations best as far as family atmosphere, welcoming opposing fans, and generally having a good time at our sporting events. The only game i will not bring my kids to (age 5 and 7) is the gamecock game. Because i know the crowd that's coming to Tigertown is a group of people who will be intoxicated, foul mouthed, and looking to provoke. Don't want my kids around adults that act like that.

And on the flip side of the family argument..the same can be said in my family for the opposite of the argument you sited. The loud-mouthed arguers and smart allec's in my family are the gamecock fan portion. ITs all in good fun bc its so easy to shut em up. I guess i just don't get how you can think so highly of your program. Coot fans think they're superior to Clemson. Baffles me.

I guess it all started way back when the schools were founded. One being in the capital city with the well-to-do crowd and the politicians and the new school in the upstate was for the farmers and military crowd. So there was this class warfare back then and for some reason ya'll still think its the same as 1889. Clemson over the years as far surpassed your school in just about every category that you can compare.

I'm a Cubs fans. Always have been. We've had recent success no doubt but before that we were known as the loveable losers. Which meant, we knew we were going to suk every year but we had hopes that maybe we can break through for a playoff spot..who knows. But if we didn't..oh well we tried. At least it was a good time and the fans loved the players. Carolina is... lets all get drunk and make everybody else as miserable as us...and then be proud of it. I mean even your womens bball coach was talking crap and having her girls play dirty against missouri this past season... its across the whole spectrum at Carolina... i guess thats normal for ya'll..i don't know.

but my question still is..why is that something that you want or enjoy. Either way, i'm glad i was born a Tiger.

ask Texas A&M fans about their trips to Clemson vs Columbia

Jun 19, 2018, 9:22 AM

just one example of a remote fanbase (outside the tri-state area) comparing the stark differences between the two schools, campuses, alumni, etc.

I would rather my team lose every game of every season...

Jun 19, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

Well thats good, At least you wont be quite as disappointed. You wont see clemson filling up the endzone with trash and throwing bottles at players. I understand your frustration though, I would be ill too if I were a chicken fan. I would probably just become a bama fan lol.

Jun 19, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does anyone willingly choose to be a gamecock fan? (DJ) ]

So you are saying that supercoot MANAFOLD cannot be a deluded self obsessed narcissistic prick because he is a coot?

Jun 19, 2018, 10:00 AM

In the states of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and the like one usually entertains the idea of being a fan of one of the two leading universities within the respective state. My family has been primarily a Clemson oriented family since World War II when three of four brothers attended and graduated. There are those however who decided for various reasons to attend USCe. I have been a Tiger fan since age six and yet chose to attend USCe for post-graduate study in a specific field many years ago. My immediate family has Wofford and Winthrop connections and I have no problem with where anyone decides to pursue an education. The real problem is the fan base of USCe, especially during this century. There is a clear cultural divide! USCe thought when they joined the "Sorry Excuse Conference" that their status would rise over that of Clemson, a mere ACC school! Their fans won't readily admit it, but a vast majority of SEC fans from the traditional schools in their conference did not want their membership in the first place! Heck USCe has only ONE championship in a conference and that was by default in 1969 in of all places the ACC! Until Holtz and Spurrier became "graveyard legends" at USCe taking them to unheard of heights of reasonable success, their football program had a losing record!! Yes, they actually beat Clemson five in a row, but the Tigers are, as expected, about to return the favor and likely add to USCe fans misery. Beyond Women's basketball and two college World Series USCe simply doesn't have much to crow about in sports so their fans continue to hope for a brighter day.

Historically and now to a degree academically, there has always been a cultural divide and even with the business programs, international studies and law school, USCe is not seen by scholars in the know as the best university in South Carolina. Perhaps if the administration would focus solely on the main campus and abolish USC-Sumter and other two year campuses as needed the resources would be ample enough to support the school properly. I hope our General Assembly comes to their senses and provides the mandated amounts of funding to higher education in general rather than raiding lottery funds, but I doubt they will change their ways unless someone brings a legal case against them.

USCe reminds me of a child who was spoiled for years until a younger sibling came along and slowly over time surpassed their older one. They have never forgiven the younger sibling called Clemson for taking the spotlight and earning the recognition of current circumstances. I know many USCe fans don't even like the idea they aren't recognized as "Carolina" outside of our borders, but Dabo had it right despite the shame of UNCheat lately. No wonder USCe has a complex toward other schools! Both Clemson and USCe have their place in South Carolina and each fan base understands the real underlying status of both schools. I just feel sorry for those USCe fans who cannot recognize the historical and educational differences between the institutions.

Go Tigers!

Why Does Anyone Choose To Be A Statist?

Jun 19, 2018, 12:16 PM

Similar issue.

Jun 19, 2018, 12:23 PM

No need to be a d1ck about it! I dont trash clemson fans. No need to trash me or mine. I’m a Gamecock by birth but I made a conscious decision to attend Carolina over offers from Alabama, Tennesee, Auburn, and UGA. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Enjoyed my time there and met some great people from all over the country. The majority of kids I met at Carolina were either from Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, or New Jersey. They come because they like the south and we have great programs for what they wanted to study I guess. A lot of my friends from USC went on to MUSC and are now either doctors, dentists, or physical therapists.

There's actual scientific reason for such decisions.

Jun 19, 2018, 2:05 PM

Generally speaking, man's DNA is de-evolving. We all suffer from it but the inbreeding within the USuCk families accelerated the condition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic