Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Do You Think CU Wins Big?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Why Do You Think CU Wins Big?

Dec 11, 2019, 7:14 AM

I think the Big 10 is grossly overrated as a whole; but Ohio State is really good! They get a bunch of kids "we wanted".
I have seen threads where people are predicting a big CU win and wanted to know what inside take I am missing on OSU?

Are you basing it on the last time we played?
Is it b/c "ironically" we don't respect their schedule?

I think Clemson wins of course!
I just don't think it's going to be in the fashion I am seeing people predict. Just wanted to find out "The Why" in the prediction.

*I have watched 5 full Ohio State games this season and believe they have some places we can exploit. I've said it myself; "it's hard to tell how good they are because nobody on their schedule can match the team speed they have in the big 10. Nobody meaning no: not Michigan, Penn St. that kind of nobody. What happens when all of a sudden you don't have a "foot speed" advantage at every other position? Sure some teams had match ups here and there that favored them over OSU. We may not have any; but will at least have equal foot speed and overall athleticism. As a staff we have folks who have mixed it up with Urban a few times and Nick a few times and will be ready!

But, why do those in the tnet crowd who think it will be a blow-out think so? Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Do You Think CU Wins Big?

Dec 11, 2019, 7:24 AM

I watched quite a few 031O State and LSU games, and it’s my opinion their opponents were over rated.

I think we’re better than anyone they’ve played.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:49 AM

Obviously way better than anyone they played. Penn State lost to them by 11. Wisconsin by 13. They blew everyone else out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Why Do You Think CU Wins Big? ]

Surely they feel that they are better than anyone that we have played, as well.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Why Do You Think CU Wins Big? ]

Last time we played they were a big favorite and we were supposed to get exposed and we ran them out of the stadium 31-0.

What is different now?

They had great players last time as well.

It’s the same old story.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 10:32 AM

Justin Fields>>>JT Barrett
JK Dobbins>>>Curtis Samuel
Chase Young>>>Anybody on the 2016 D line

We might be better too, but anybody who's expecting a blowout just because of what happened 3 years ago is kidding themselves.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:43 AM

I don't. I think Clemson wins by 10, which in my book is not "Big".
Ohio State is good. Maybe they don't have the team speed you allude to here,but they are big, and can move the football.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:45 AM

I see an evenly matched game. Coin flip, but I will call us 38-31.

Offense and Defense... Hopefully Spcl.teams has a good game.***

Dec 11, 2019, 7:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Irony....

Dec 11, 2019, 7:52 AM

The narrative is that we will be playing "elite" teams for the first time and that gives OSU an advantage. It is true that this will be a step up in competition, but we are obviously expecting that.

The real narrative should be that we are the first "elite" team that OSU has played.
If they are expecting Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan level talent and schemes, they are in
for a rude awakening.

Re: Irony....

Dec 11, 2019, 8:36 AM

Would you not say that their competition was closer to elite than ours this year.

I agree that there is a gap between Clemson and ,say Penn State but there is a bigger gap between OSU and Virginia. i think that is their argument and it holds some water.

Clemson will win. We will spread them out and win with angles and speed, but this OSU is not as slow as the one we beat in 2016. And even though they are biG and like to grind Big10 style, they are not as slow as they used to be - and Fields can be a game-changer with his legs.

It is going to be a great game. Can we get off to a fast enough start to take them out of their ground game ? Can our defense hold up against their big boys for four quarters ? Can BV design something to stop both Dobbins and Fields from running wild (and make the kid have to throw the ball to beat us) ? Can their DBs play physically enough to slow our WRs down a bit ?

There are a number of interesting questions to be answered - and they will NOT be answered until the 28th. It should be an excellent game with the Tigers prevailing by about 10 points. Go Tigers !!

Re: Irony....

Dec 11, 2019, 8:54 AM

I dont think there is a big gap between texas am and ohio state. I think the Aggies match up well with the buckeyes. And so do miami and florida state because of team speed. They want out athlete miami or am

We are giant killers. It's what we do.

Dec 11, 2019, 8:23 AM

Our coaches know how to prepare our players for the playoffs.
Our players on offense outclass their players on defense. Our key weapons have the championship experience.
Our defense's ability to learn from their mistakes in one game astounds me. They can hold the bucknuts to a low score. Maybe give up some yards, but in no way does that equal points.
Brent Venables. I know I said coaches first, but it begins and ends with Coach Venables.
That is why I believe we win big. As in 2+tds.

It's not bragging just to be bragging. All of us have seen what Clemson can do in the playoffs. Experience counts.

Well, because

Dec 11, 2019, 8:32 AM

that's kinda what we tend to do.

Re: Well, because

I don’t think we win big...well I hope we do but much different teams of us and osu. I do think experience plays huge and our o line is getting under looked.

Dec 11, 2019, 8:53 AM

Speed and skill

Easy. Transferable Logic (using common opponents)

Clemson 62 UVA 17 - UVA 34 Pitt 14
OSU 28 Ped State 17 - Ped State 17 Pitt 10

But the real case is this: All of the "good teams" OSU has beaten are the "same team". Dynamically, Wisc, Mich, and Ped State are all the same basic "slow in the snow" B10 team. Skill players and talent here/there but not across the entire team. The only dynamically different teams in the B10 are Minnesota and Indiana but they really do not have the same talent either. OSU's dominance in recent years has been as mostly because they have hybridized with that "SEC speed". Now it isn't "SEC Speed" but more than what the B10 normally can field. Thus OSU normally leans on this advantage, HARD. However, what happens when you take that advantage away and it becomes a liability.

Wisc looked SLOW. In a few case, they could not Dobbins getting to the edge, a lot of their pass-rush was long to develop so it gave Fields time - it almost did not seem like they were pressuring at all, 4-5 guys, and the back seven took FOREVER to group tackle. Seriously, OSU was playing in space and it took forever to collapse.

Thanks All!

Dec 11, 2019, 9:17 AM

FutureDoc That's about what I think about the situation. I just don't see the blow out win some tnetters are calling on. I see something between 3 to 10 point Clemson win!

Thank all of you for your insights!

As I said earlier, "for me it's hard to gauge Ohio State"! I see the athleticism advantage they enjoy and it's immense. Someone brought up talent level in the ACC; but if you look at top 15 - 25 in the recruiting rankings - U of No-Compliance does really well. Sometimes they even get in the top 15. Nancy St. does pretty well for itself and is often top 20.
Of course, Florida State from "JUST A TALENT" stand point is head and shoulders above most every team in the country "STILL" going by recruiting rankings. These teams just don't form good teams or aren't maybe coached well or developed like they should. But, the talent is there. The ACC provides the 2nd most players to the NFL for a reason! Despite what the teams do!

OL you think Wisconsin right? They were handling their business versus Ohio State - but the depth became an issue. Saw the Big 10 championship game and while the Wisconsin defense was fresh they gave Ohio State fits. Wisconsin has no quality depth. Clemson on the other hand can roll a 4 star guy out and roll a 5 star player in( Rudolph for Henry for example) and have full trust they will get the job done.
They won't wear us down like they can so many Big 10 teams because our back ups have played so many minutes. Games worth of minutes in fact.

But, again, thanks for all the great responses!

Re: Thanks All!

Dec 11, 2019, 10:53 AM

If you look at passing teams, both Wake and UNC were top 25 passing offense with UNC being surprisingly efficient. UVA, Louisville and even lowly FSU were (as a whole) "decent" passing games. The ACC was full of 7-5, 4-4 teams but many really they had decent passing offenses. Our passing defense was superb. Ohio State also has good stats but the two best passing teams they played were Indiana (13th) and Ped State (49eff)/Mich (50th total). So it is really REALLY hard to tell how effective they will be against a true passing threat. It would have been interesting to see them play Minnesota.

While likely skewed due to garbage time, no need for late passing comebacks, OSU is just ahead of Miami in their passing stat. I am 100% sure that BV is going to make 31-0 pass at a extremely high to beat us, running teams move the ball against but don't score.

I am very VERY curious if JF will be able to pass at a high level against us. He is not Perkins with the experience of both reading defenses and being used to having less talent in a receiving corp. Perkins is actually very good on that front as one would expect from an experienced QB. He will be forced to throw into tighter windows with less time to release the ball. I am someone impressed with his checkdown but that was against a soft slow zone vs Wisc.

Out of all the teams in the CFP, I actually think OSU could be the weakest and it comes down to the passing game. The rushing game is no joke but that normally keeps the ball in front which BV prefers.

Re: Thanks

Dec 12, 2019, 12:55 PM

Good break down!

I think we will have trouble with Dobbins if we are forced to take Skalski and Smith out to control their passing game. If we can slow down or contain them in the passing game with those two on the field - we can hopefully limit Dobbins from "going completely off"! He is too good not to get any yards. And our defensive front isn't the TFL front it has been. A back like him has to be slowed down or stopped before he gets going!
Like most football games - I will be looking at the line of scrimmage early on to see if we will have success or not. Even if you aren't making plays early; if you can at least hold your own on the line - you will eventually get to where you make plays. Like the Buckeyes - we have recruited well and players will make plays!

If we get up on them like Wisconsin did - I think the average fan will go - we been there and done that versus the Badgers. The difference is the Badgers have no depth and wore down from playing on so high a level. If we get starters who start to tire our coaching staff can take pretty much all positions out with confidence the back up can get it done just as well! Which will be a huge difference if we were able to get out front like Wisconsin did!

Fields is good; but I remember him going against the Buckeyes defense in their spring game. That's probably the best defense he has faced. And they couldn't hit him. He looked okay; but not like the world beater he has put on video this season!

The collective wisdom of TigerNet is very much a competitive advantage***

Dec 11, 2019, 8:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unsure about the point spread and will remain

Dec 11, 2019, 9:03 AM

guarded in my opinion.

However, sometimes teams get gunshy of others due to reputations or history. Ohio State does not have a good history against Clemson, going back to that Woody Hayes' episode. Another TNetter called it the Charlie Bauman curse. Toss in our latest matchup...31-0...and that in of itself should raise the hair on any Buckeye's neck. The main reason: we have essentially the same staff in place, and I think they have Ohio State's number!

Lastly, I know Ohio State has been one of the bluebloods for a long, long time. They are truly one of the alltime greats with a rich tradition and a war chest full of trophies and accolades. To me it is an honor to face them on the gridiron, and I do have respect for their prowess, staff and team. But I also think Clemson has built a juggernaut of a program that fans and staffs alike respect. And I think we will be triumphant again this year against tOSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am thinking anywhere from 3 to 10

Dec 11, 2019, 9:21 AM

I see a Clemson win. But, close. 3 to 10 points. May even be late when we score it.

I have to admit - I wanted to be playing LSU 1st. The extra time to prepare for the unique things LSU does would have been great! Ohio State presents a bunch of challenges as well; but it's mostly about eye discipline and playing to the standard against them! Offense playing well and executing a game plan to neutralize the Buckeyes strengths(which are numberous).

Dec 12, 2019, 12:58 PM

Brent Venables
Tyler Davis
Isiah Simmons
Terrell / Kendrick

TL
ETN
Higgins / Ross

Battle tested isn’t playing through a B1G schedule. It’s going to the playoff 5 years in a row. They don’t know the meaning of battle tested.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their dude on defense is what concerns me most.

Dec 12, 2019, 12:59 PM

I have seen some of that guy playing and he just takes over on D. Very Clowney-like. Yes, I just gave a coot a compliment.

Their offense will do OK as well, but BV will scheme their butts up just like he doesn't everyone else.

I don't see a blow out either way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple. Brent Venables vs. Justin Fields is a mismatch

Dec 12, 2019, 12:59 PM

in the Tigers favor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2019, 1:14 PM

We are Faster
We are more Experienced
Our coaches are Better
Our players have a chip on their shoulder and they are conditioned to respect Every opponent so they play with Discipline.
The entire staff has this Uncanny ability to know the pulse of the players. It’s intangible and unquantifiable, Extraordinary.
Our QB is All World and extremely humble
Our RB breaks tackles and can outrun their secondary,
We play our best when we have time to prepare.
Our D Line is underrated
We will feature a couple of tight ends, one and maybe two who are future All Conference and no one has tape to study on them.
ETN will return a couple of kicks and Potter will not give them the opportunity.
We have DAY BOY SWINNEY and they have ... Ryan Day??

Two things mostly.

Dec 12, 2019, 1:22 PM

Our offense and our defense. Now before you think that's a joke bear with me.

OSU has shown me no reason to think their secondary has a prayer of a chance of slowing our passing game down. When our passing game establishes our running game OSU's defense will fail.

Our secondary will shut down OSU's passing game. Our sacks will come just like OSU's other opponents' sacks, coverage sacks.

No matter whether we're on defense or offense we have the best squad on the field by a long,
long way.

Final score, Clemson high 40s-low 50s. OUS high single digits to low teens. A 35 point win is will prove to be merciful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic