Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who's the best Clemson Safety of all time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Who's the best Clemson Safety of all time?

Jul 12, 2017, 5:48 PM

I would think that it would be between B. Dawkins and T. Kinard. Another site had Kinard as the best, but I say I Dawkins all day.

Other Safeties people mention in the discussion are R. Carswell, R. O'Neal, and D. McDaniel, but the guy everybody always forgets who I thought was right there with Dawkins and Kinard was Antuan Edwards. He was a straight up stud in the late 90's. Our teams just weren't very good back then.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who's the best Clemson Safety of all time?

Jul 12, 2017, 6:02 PM

Dont forget Jim Ness. He was in school when I was there. Not on the greatest of teams but a nice player

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2017, 7:33 PM

maybe--Terry Kinard thought this young man was a outstanding defensive player for the tigers!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2017, 6:06 PM

Dawkins. Now close the thread

I'm not disparaging Dawkins...but honestly..while he was at

Jul 12, 2017, 7:03 PM

Clemson he wasn't dominant. He was very good but nobody projected him to be an All-Pro, much less a HOF'er.

I think impact-wise, you'd have to put up Deandre McDaniel and Terry Kinard up there.

Dawkins was good at Clemson, but he projected about like Byron Maxwell.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

he was beast at Clemson, you must have missed his Clemson career...

Jul 12, 2017, 7:38 PM

McDaniel was good, but had flaws that Dawkins didn't have, not to mention his senior season was slightly disappointing

Maxwell played corner not safety...

Jul 12, 2017, 7:46 PM [ in reply to I'm not disparaging Dawkins...but honestly..while he was at ]

Brian Dawkins was a second round pick, while Maxwell was a sixth round pick. Maxwell was more of a surprise because he didn't have the most impressive college career and solidified a starting spot later in his college career, while Dawkins was a star pretty much his whole college career. So this comparison is wrong on three aspects. Maybe do some more research next time when comparing players

Not Brian Dawkins ... definitely Terry Kinard

Jul 12, 2017, 6:19 PM

In the minds of fans, Brian Dawkins' NFL career has helped to inflate his actual production while at Clemson. He was a fine player at Clemson, but he had nowhere near the actual college career of a guy like Terry Kinard.

Terry Kinard was the first Clemson player to be a unanimous All-America pic, and is now one of only three unanimous All-America selections in school history. He was the first two-time Clemson All-American defensive back and a first-team AP All-American two years in a row, the only Clemson player to do that. He was named the CBS National Defensive Player-of-the-Year for the 1982 season and was chosen to the USA Today All-College Football Team in the 1980's.
Kinard was a two-year member of the All-ACC team. He was the all-time Clemson leader in interceptions with 17, a mark that tied the 20-year-old ACC record. He also holds Clemson record for tackles by a defensive back with 294 in his career.
After leaving Clemson Kinard was a first-round pick of the New York Giants in 1983, and was the 10th pick of the entire draft. Sports Illustrated named him to College Football's Centennial Team in 1999. He played with Super Bowl Champion Giants in 1986 and was with the club 1983-89. During that time he played in the 1988 Pro Bowl Game. He then left the Giants and played with Houston Oilers in 1990.
He was named to Clemson's Centennial team in April 1996. He ranked as Clemson's #3 football player of all-time by a panel of Clemson historians in 1999 and was then inducted into College Football Hall of Fame in December 2001. He was inducted into Clemson Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Ring of Honor in 2001. He was also inducted into the state of South Carolina Hall of Fame in 2002.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's false. I think of Dawkins the same way I did before his pro career***

Jul 12, 2017, 7:39 PM

I don't think Dawkins career @ Clem was inflated by the pros

Jul 12, 2017, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Not Brian Dawkins ... definitely Terry Kinard ]

What he was in college was exactly what he was in the pros. His game didn't change at all. A great safety does 1 of 2 thing really well: intercept the ball or lay wood. Dawkins was a guy that would occasionally intercept a pass, but more than anything else, he was a fierce hitting tone setter that could cover a lot of ground. His game was to intimidate. He definitely didn't have Kinard's numbers, but I don't think his impact was any less.

The only reason Dawk was a 2nd round pick was because he wasn't that big and people questioned if he could play with his style effectively on the pro level where guys are bigger and stronger. He certainly proved he could.

I like Dawkins as much as anyone, but ...

Jul 13, 2017, 11:50 AM

... if Dawkins doesn't go on to fashion an All-Pro HOF caliber NFL career, nobody is mentioning him in the conversation of this particular thread. Dawkins was a fine college player, but he was not the best ever to play at Clemson. Dawkins was never considered for any All-American teams, and he was not Player of the Year nationally. This thread asked who was the best Safety ever to play at Clemson and that would unquestionably be Terry Kinnard. If it had asked for a top-10 best Clemson Safeties, then certainly Dawkins would be high on the list.

Absolutely no doubt about it.

Jul 12, 2017, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Not Brian Dawkins ... definitely Terry Kinard ]

Relatively speaking, Dawkins was a very good, maybe even great safety for Clemson. However, nobody, and I mean NOBODY at the time foresaw what was to come for him in the NFL, and anybody who says they expected him to be that good is telling a good one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

My roommate junior year...

Jul 12, 2017, 6:24 PM

When I'd bring home a young maiden after a night of hard drinking in and around tbe greater Clemson metroplex, dude just would not leave and offer up some privacy.

Kept me from scoring most of the year.

Thanks a lot Steve!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my all time fav.s was....

Jul 12, 2017, 6:34 PM

Robert Oneal

Re: One of my all time fav.s was....

Jul 12, 2017, 9:15 PM

Once he converted to safety in the NFL you can count Charlie Waters.

Terry Kinard, easily and I'd rate him in the top 5

Jul 12, 2017, 6:38 PM

of Clemson players of all-time. Dawkins had a better pro career though Kinard's was really good also.

Antwuan Edwards played corner mostly, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Edwards played safety, didn't play at corner***

Jul 12, 2017, 7:53 PM

Nope, you are wrong, He may have played some safety

Jul 13, 2017, 3:54 PM

but he played mostly corner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally agree ... Kinnard is Top-5 at CU @ any position

Jul 13, 2017, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Terry Kinard, easily and I'd rate him in the top 5 ]

In fact, given his list of accolades while he was at Clemson, it could be argued that Kinnard is the best player we've ever had, period. Deshaun Watson would certainly have something to say about that now of course.

If we are talking College, Kinard easily. But, no doubt

Jul 12, 2017, 6:56 PM

Dawkins had the better Pro career. So, depends on your criteria.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we are talking College, Kinard easily. But, no doubt

Jul 12, 2017, 7:05 PM

Edwards was a corner at the beginning....I don't remember how many years. He used to go head to head with some guy from NCState....forget his name. Antwan was good but lazy.

Tory Holt; i was at that game vs NC State in '98 i believe

Jul 12, 2017, 9:06 PM

Edwards was shutting Holt down in the 1st half.
Then Edwards hurt his ankle and had to sit out
the rest of thee game. On NC States 1st offensive
play after that, Holt burned us with about a 70
yard TD. Antuan Edwards could cover!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinard***

Jul 12, 2017, 7:10 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kinard***

Jul 12, 2017, 7:13 PM

Chris Clemons!

Re: Kinard***

Jul 13, 2017, 10:18 AM

Jamaal Fuuuuudge!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinard or Dawkins, we have had plenty of good safeties, but those two are the standard bearers***

Jul 12, 2017, 7:35 PM

Jul 12, 2017, 7:36 PM

Kinard*

Blessed to have seen Terry Kinard play all of his home

Jul 12, 2017, 7:40 PM

games in person. Hands down the best safety in Tiger Football history, as well as one of the best football players to ever wear the Tiger uniform.

My favorite Safety was Jamaal Fudge

Jul 12, 2017, 8:04 PM

He's nowhere close to the discussion of best Clemson Safety ever, but I loved his mentality. He had his physical limitations (he wasn't that big or fast), but much like Dawkins, he always brought everything he had to party. He tackled with bad intentions.

Fudge and Pugh used to level people that year

Jul 13, 2017, 12:29 AM

That's when I was a student.

Re: My favorite Safety was Jamaal Fudge

Jul 13, 2017, 10:21 AM [ in reply to My favorite Safety was Jamaal Fudge ]

I agree about Fudge! Whenever he'd lay someone out, the whole stadium would yell "Fuuuudge" similar to the more recent "Nuuuuk". Fun player to watch and one of my favorites (I'm relatively young), but probably nowhere close to the best ever at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dawkins' greatness was nowhere near realized while he was

Jul 12, 2017, 8:04 PM

at Clemson, and while he is certainly among the best safeties ever to play here, his tremendous NFL career has undoubtedly influenced the way his Clemson career is remembered by many.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 12, 2017, 8:07 PM

I think brain dawkins because his NFL success puts him at the time in my opinion. There may have been better safeties while at Clemson but no other safety in clemson history has had the success at the next level more then weapon X himself Brian dawkins!!

Jul 12, 2017, 8:54 PM

Charley Waters

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charlie Waters

Jul 12, 2017, 9:05 PM

Was the name I was looking for. These youngsters don't know nuthin"

Dawkins was a good'un too.

Jul 12, 2017, 9:08 PM

Terry Kinard was our best safety ever.
That really can't be argued with much of a straight face .

DB23

All-American KInard in College / HoF Dawkins in Pros***

Jul 12, 2017, 9:18 PM

Hopefully HoF.

Jul 12, 2017, 9:25 PM

He deserves it!!!!!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Wasn't he like a 6 time pro-bowler?

Jul 13, 2017, 12:16 PM

I think that gets him in

McDaniel never gets enough credit

Jul 13, 2017, 12:06 PM

that play where he destroyed FSU's QB running back an INT was one of my favorite plays of all time.

Re: McDaniel never gets enough credit

Jul 13, 2017, 12:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfI6UZ8pwP0

B. Dawk***

Jul 13, 2017, 2:16 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic