Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who's more valuable to their team: Connor Shaw or Tajh Boyd?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Who's more valuable to their team: Connor Shaw or Tajh Boyd?

May 6, 2014, 3:00 PM

Bruce Ellington or Sammy Watkins?

Jadaveon Clowney or Brandon Thomas?

Vic Hapton or Breshaud Breeland?

Quarles or Shatley?

Both teams will have drop off on offense.

One team will have a significant dropoff on defense

while the other will improve defensively.

I don't get why coots are being ranked so high. SEC bias?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It's all just projection. No one knows.

May 6, 2014, 3:03 PM

The SC defense might allow only 180 yards per game. They might allow 450. The Clemson defense might allow 40 points per game. They might allow 13.

We know Dylan Thompson is not as good as Shaw.

May 6, 2014, 3:05 PM

We know that there is no one near as good a Clowney.

Bruce Ellington was a freaking stud.

SCar will see drop off.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

We know he wasn't as good as Shaw.***

May 6, 2014, 3:06 PM

Thus, I see a drop in production.***

May 6, 2014, 3:07 PM

Re: We know Dylan Thompson is not as good as Shaw.

May 6, 2014, 3:33 PM [ in reply to We know Dylan Thompson is not as good as Shaw. ]

> We know that there is no one near as good a Clowney.
>
>
> Bruce Ellington was a freaking stud.
>
> SCar will see drop off.

But i thought the general consensus on this board was that Clowney was overrated and didnt do anything productive last year?

I never said that.

May 6, 2014, 3:35 PM

Every team schemed around Clowney.

But you can't deny his 3 sacks.

None of them are valuable to college teams anymore***

May 6, 2014, 3:04 PM

Re: Who's more valuable to their team: Connor Shaw or Tajh Boyd?

May 6, 2014, 3:04 PM

Tajh

Sammy

Jadeveon

Vic

Kelcy

Are we sure about Tajh over Connor?

May 6, 2014, 3:06 PM

Connor threw 1 interception all year and won the Missouri game for them which was a sure loss if Thompson stayed in.

Re: Are we sure about Tajh over Connor?

May 6, 2014, 3:35 PM

Could be an interesting discussion. Kind of have to seperate the value of each over their replacement from the argument. To me Connor was just a compliment to the strengths of their team. I think the Spurrier golden horshoe effect made Connor look better than he was.

Tajh is the better arm.

May 6, 2014, 3:37 PM

Connor had good feet and was a heady player.

Tajh will pull a Charlie Whitehurst and be a career backup while Connor joins the military.

To his team, I'd give Shaw a slight edge. The guy

May 6, 2014, 3:43 PM

just made a lot of plays for them. Maybe they would have been okay with Thompson, but they could have also been the same train wreck as always. I do give Tajh credit (over some random replacement) for the win over FSU, the ACC Championship, LSU, UGA, and Ohio St.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To his team, I'd give Shaw a slight edge. The guy

May 6, 2014, 3:49 PM

I think you just made the case for why Tajh was more valuable than Connor. What wins would you attribute directly to Connor Shaw.

Re: To his team, I'd give Shaw a slight edge. The guy

May 6, 2014, 3:54 PM

Missouri and Clemson

All of them?

May 6, 2014, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: To his team, I'd give Shaw a slight edge. The guy ]

It is a tough call. But just using that wins above replacement thing, I think Shaw takes them from tire fire to pretty good. Boyd took us from frustratingly 3rd tier to the same level of pretty good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All of them?

May 6, 2014, 4:08 PM

Are you comparing (Tajh - Cole) < (Connor - Dylan) or (Tajh - average replacement) < (Connor - average replacement)

It's two different arguments. I think Tajh was more valuable to Clemson but South Carolina will miss Connor more.

(Tajh - average replacement) < (Connor - average replacement

May 6, 2014, 4:13 PM

You can't really consider the actual replacement, as those guys may or may not be on the team if Boyd and Shaw were not there.

Re: (Tajh - average replacement) < (Connor - average replacement

May 6, 2014, 4:17 PM

So over ranked Missouri without their starting QB and 6 turnover Clemson wins > LSU, OSU, healthy UGA, ACC championship?

May 6, 2014, 4:20 PM

You have a point. Connor Shaw did not get it done vs. LSU, Auburn, UGA while Tajh Boyd did.

How did we lose to the coots 5 times in a row?

May 6, 2014, 4:26 PM

Like I said somewhere above Tajh was a strength of our team. Connor Shaw was a compliment. Because of this the fluctuation in Tajh's performance had a much bigger impact on the outcome of our games. While there are some very nice wins we can thank Tajh for, we can also point to some losses that were a result of his poor play. Hard to point to any of South Carolina's losses and say "they lost that because of Connor" because he was just a piece of their team. At least that's my opinion.

Usually when Scar lost, Connor Shaw played bad.

May 6, 2014, 4:29 PM

I don't remember Shaw having a good game the and the coots losing.

Regardless, Connor Shaw became a really good college QB because he became accurate with the long ball.

Tajh Boyd was never elusive like Connor.

Re: Usually when Scar lost, Connor Shaw played bad.

May 6, 2014, 4:52 PM

Think he had a pretty good game against UGA this year.

Maybe the better question would be how many bad or average games did he have the South Carolina still won?

Now we get to play the how to build an argument game.

May 6, 2014, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: (Tajh - average replacement) < (Connor - average replacement ]

You are suggesting that the only games in Shaw's career that he made a difference were Missouri and Clemson 14.

I'm saying with a typical QB that USC has had, I think they are still a pure garbage team. While if Clemson had a typical Clemson QB these past 3 years, we'd still be bobbing in that 8-9 win range.

Re: Now we get to play the how to build an argument game.

May 6, 2014, 4:54 PM

Do you have a rebuttal for how many games Connor Shaw had an impact in winning?

I told you the answer was all of them.

May 6, 2014, 4:59 PM

In order to go back and find any examples, I'd have to think and read more about gamecock football than I want to. Why can't you just accept that I want to say they would have been truly awful without him? That is all I'm trying to do.

Todd "Bowel Movement" Ellis sez ........

May 6, 2014, 3:27 PM

while pinching a loaf - "Gunner Shauuuuuuuuuuuuugh" !

Re: Todd "Bowel Movement" Ellis sez ........

May 6, 2014, 3:38 PM

I don't they will miss Clowney that much. He sat out one third of the season and certainly did not give total effort the rest of the time. Shaw is the one they will miss the most. He was not the most talented but knew how to win, much like Rodney Williams. Shaw was much of their offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt .......................***

May 6, 2014, 3:47 PM

General consensus for SC is offense will improve, defense will take a hit. Losing Shaw hurts but we'll have the best line we've had in Spurriers era , loaded backfield, very good WR group returning even without Bruce. But on defense replacing that D-line is n

Not going to be easy

May 6, 2014, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Who's more valuable to their team: Connor Shaw or Tajh Boyd? ]

Offense may improve. Taking a hit at qb is a big deal for you and us. Our RB situation is better IMO but we take a hit without Sammy for sure. But our WRS are talented as well. Mike Williams will be as good as Roland. Both are future NFL guys

May 6, 2014, 4:47 PM

I agree with your assessment. I think for both teams it's really hard to tell right now how much losing Boyd and Shaw will hurt. I feel like both teams feel pretty good about the new QBs, but there is no way to really tell until the season starts.

Is this a rhetorical question?

May 6, 2014, 4:51 PM

A lot of it has to do with the SEC bias

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic