Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who else has a memory of Clemson's 1st National Title?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Who else has a memory of Clemson's 1st National Title?

Dec 31, 2015, 11:54 PM

I was 9 years old & watched it with my dad, who passed away in 2001, on a little black & white TV cause my mom & brothers wanted to watch our little bit bigger TV. Just one of the great memories with my dad & now I get to do the same with my son except on a color flat screen TV. GO TIGERS!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

was 25 and at the game***

Dec 31, 2015, 11:55 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: was 25 and at the game***

Jan 1, 2016, 11:06 AM

A little older than you and at the game as well. My dad took the entire family to the game. What great memories! My mother and I missed the shuttle back to the hotel from the OB parade. We got to experience Little Havana at night by ourselves LOL!

I was a sophomore and went back early to watch the game at

Dec 31, 2015, 11:55 PM

Nicks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Oh I was there screaming my head off...have not stopped

Jan 1, 2016, 12:00 AM

in 34 years....close to 35 in 3 minutes...

I was there

Jan 1, 2016, 12:01 AM

10 years old, swimming at the hotel pool before the game. All the Clemson fans marching down the ramps after the game chanting "We are #1, hell yeah!" Still think I have my ticket stub somewhere.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Senior in HS and was there

Jan 1, 2016, 12:03 AM

Incredible memory. Won't be there in person this time, but will still be a remarkable night

i was negative 9 years old***

Jan 1, 2016, 12:04 AM

I was -16 years old***

Jan 1, 2016, 12:05 AM

Re: Who else has a memory of Clemson's 1st National Title?

Jan 1, 2016, 12:06 AM

I have number one jacket and a tiger head with. Burbon in head and has not been opened. Would we'll

Jan 1, 2016, 12:12 AM

I was 12 and sitting on the variegated carpet in our den with my dad on the couch. He is a VPI grad and put 2 brothers through Clemson while he worked at Millekin in Pendleton. He always encouraged us to pull for Clemson and my brother and I are both grads.

Was 13 and watched at a neighbors house with the

Jan 1, 2016, 12:14 AM

Other kids while our parents partied downstairs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2016, 12:15 AM

I was 31 at the time and watched it with my dad, mom, and sister (also a CLEMSON alum). Fun night for all.

Jan 1, 2016, 12:17 AM

I was 20 but it seems like yesterday. It's gonna be great to be national champs again.

I was 9, almost 10 at that time

Jan 1, 2016, 12:21 AM

I still have a 1981 Clemson Tiger National Champions beach towel. It has lost a little color over the years

I also have Pepsi bottles with the same on them.

Jan 1, 2016, 12:21 AM

I worked for Frank Howard's son-in-law. Got off 3rd shift and drove from Washington, NC, to Greenville, SC to catch a tour bus to ride to Miami in 24 hours. Just remember the pageantry and special feeling. I was 26 and had a blast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2016, 12:23 AM

I was 12 and I remember a local TV station having a tiger eat a piece of corn and saying " yea not much of a fight" but in the game the last TD was just amazing!! It was a yea! Were gonna win! Kinda moment.
GO TIGERS!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2016, 12:27 AM

Was 13 watched it at home.

Bought a new Clemson sweatshirt to commemorate the win. White with orange tigerpaw on front.

I was 8 and at game. Remember it very well***

Jan 1, 2016, 12:30 AM

Re: I was 8 and at game. Remember it very well***

Jan 1, 2016, 1:01 AM

I was 15 watching at my (now deceased) uncle's house. I remember him calling a relative after the game who was an NCSU fan (and had a son who had been a NCSU long snapper). He was so excited he was virtually in tears asking him if he could belive what just happened. I also think a mounted deer head got a tie put on it that remained there for years too.

i was there. unfortunately sitting in the Nebraska section.***

Jan 1, 2016, 1:05 AM

oh, and way back then, those husker (not husker du) fans

Jan 1, 2016, 3:32 AM

were SO certain they would win.

Jan 1, 2016, 1:07 AM

I was -2. Didn't miss it by too much.

Oh yea! N EndZone as orange clad 2nd yr SCar law student!

Jan 1, 2016, 1:09 AM

wore my orange on Scar campus weekly. In my 3 years at Scar Law: Football 3-0 w/ Natl Title; and we bested Scar in Baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.... That as a glorious 3 years!

I was sixteen and watched it at DJs burger joint.

Jan 1, 2016, 1:18 AM

On a 19" color TV on the counter. Athomas wouldnt come hang out with me. :)

I had just turned 8

Jan 1, 2016, 1:18 AM

And had no idea Clemson existed. My dad was finalizing his Ph.D. at Virginia Tech that winter. In April '82 he got his degree and his first teaching job... At Clemson.

We moved to Central that June. I saw my first Clemson games that September sitting on the hill. Lindsey West (Tommy's wife) was my 3rd grade teacher that year.

Clemson. Fan. For. Life.

40-yard line, 15 rows up behind the DLs and LBs... Yep.***

Jan 1, 2016, 1:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember them making a big deal about Remington

Jan 1, 2016, 1:25 AM

And watching the Clemson defense keep those boys pretty well controlled.

I also remember watching Tuttle catch that pass.

I was in 9th grade at the time.

And Remington blocking BEFORE snapping the ball.***

Jan 1, 2016, 2:05 AM

Then you probably remember the holding call he had trying

Jan 1, 2016, 9:06 AM [ in reply to I remember them making a big deal about Remington ]

to block The Refrigerator! Two or three in the second half!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 10 years old and remember going in the bathroom to pray at halftime***

Jan 1, 2016, 9:09 AM

I was 24 and also watched with my Mom and Dad...

Jan 1, 2016, 1:30 AM

...and younger siblings. I remember wearing my orange overalls and juggling actual oranges as part of the fun.

My expectations for Clemson football changed forever after that night Jan 1, 1982.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 13 and was there.

Jan 1, 2016, 1:55 AM

I was living in Coral Springs, FL and was able to go to the game. I got there early and was able to get down on the field and actually met William Perry and Jeff Bryant. What an amazing day. I thought we would be back a lot sooner than 34 years, but I'll take it. Go Tigers, Beat Bama!!!!

I was 19 years old, sophomore year @ Clemson

Jan 1, 2016, 2:10 AM

and we went to Miami for the NC game -- had a blast at the game and the after-party! NO one expected us to win except for the Tiger faithful, which just made the victory over Nebraska extra, extra sweet!

Fast forward to this Natty in 2016: This one has the same "feel" to the 1st Natty and expecting the same result - victory! We're trying to work out our schedules, etc. to hopefully get to Glendale to see us win our 2nd one! GO TIGERS!

Jan 1, 2016, 2:15 AM

I was 13 and remember it fondly, Go Tigers!

15. Watched it with my dad and brothers on TV.***

Jan 1, 2016, 2:18 AM

Jan 1, 2016, 2:32 AM

I wasn't born yet but my dad always tells the story of him watching it alone as my mom and older brothers (who were very young at the time ) were asleep. I shed a tear with my dad tonight seeing the Tigers make it back to the NC

Jan 1, 2016, 2:33 AM

Was married 2years. Took the Amtrack from Charleston to Miami. Rented car and the game was crazy. Probably more disrepect because 1st time Clemson on national stage. Didn't give us a chance in hell of winning. They supposedly didn't know where Clemson was from

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

was a student: the ultimate experience

Jan 1, 2016, 2:58 AM

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Jan 1, 2016, 3:14 AM

I do I do with my family in the den of our house :) great memory

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

waaaaaait......We've won a 'Natty' before!?!!

Jan 1, 2016, 3:41 AM

Sorry, I only listen to the national media who say we don't act like we've "been here before."

Well, if I'm right (which I definitely am), no one has been HERE before. We're the FIRST 14-0 team to head into the Natty. We're the FIRST #1 seed to win a CFB Playoff game.

I was born in the Year of Our Lord 1988. I will get to witness the Tigers play for the Natty in Arizona next week!!! I've always hoped for this day but don't know that I've ever actually thought I'd see it before. I'm still up in Miami because I'm still trying to process how that much orange got into that stadium. I wouldn't trade the 27 years of my life that I've waited for anything. I always thought 81 was a myth. Y'all got to be pullin my leg! LolOloL

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2016, 4:02 AM

I was at sea. I read about in my ship's newspaper when I was in the US Navy. About 2 weeks later I got a letter from my high school sweetheart who was attending Clemson telling me how she and about a thousand other students met the team's plane at GSP early in the morning after the game. She said it was very exciting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2016, 8:29 AM

I was 16 years old! Remember it well!
Well most of it I think. Uh long Time coming!
Let's get one more win!

Jan 1, 2016, 8:51 AM

My wife and I were there, and we will be in Phoenix in 2016!

Yep. 9th grade.***

Jan 1, 2016, 9:37 AM

I was at the game and still have my ticket stub!***

Jan 1, 2016, 9:04 AM

i remember the nebraska fans saying that us clemson fans

Jan 1, 2016, 9:13 AM

would be at home drinking "lone star" beer, while their team steamrolled us. the majority of them thought clemson was in texas !!!

I was leaning back...

Jan 1, 2016, 10:07 AM

beating the crap out of my drums (quads). Tiger Band was seated in the end zone and I will never forget that our group of drummers almost cost us a penalty.

As Nebraska was driving down the field, they huddled around the 15 yard line. We all leaned back and just beat the crap out of our drums, making as much noise as possible.

Their quarterback could not hear and motioned to the refs. They came over and spoke to our band director and drum majors. The look of fear in Joe's eyes (one of our drum majors) was priceless. He hollered at us saying "Stop beating your drums - do not make any noise! It will be a 5 yard penalty!"

Man, that was a great moment. As the clocked ticked away, I could not believe that we were seconds away from being National Champions.

We went into that game as underdogs and we will be underdogs against Alabama. But, we will win...

~• Other than THAT Jackie, how was the parade? •~

Jan 1, 2016, 10:14 AM

I was 17 and watched from home!!

Jan 1, 2016, 10:17 AM

we took a bus trip to miami. I remember the heat, the excitement, being nervous, etc. I kept thinking that the year before we were 6-5. Will never forget that trip.

Jan 1, 2016, 10:14 AM

Best trip ever by my wife and I. Clemson fans took over Miami Beach.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 14 and visiting my family in NYC for the Holidays

Jan 1, 2016, 10:26 AM

Watched the game at my uncle's apartment. Before the game there was a lot of talk about Nebraska's size and their center Dave Remington. Well Dave met the Fridge and the rest was history

Jan 1, 2016, 10:19 AM

I was 14 yrs old and listened to every game on the radio. Watched any game on TV that season, and recorded the game on a VCR.

I was 1 and watched it from my Dad's lap.***

Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish I was 9 years old!

Jan 1, 2016, 11:41 AM

I was 31, Doctoral student at the University of Tennessee. I was with my dad at Bi-Lo in South Greenville a few hours before the game began. It was sunset, and the whole sky was orange. When we came out of the store into the parking lot, I turned to my dad and said " Look at that dad. The whole sky is painted Orange. The Tigers are going to win tonight!" We watched them win a great one!

All of us over 50 do***

Jan 1, 2016, 12:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, no kidding! I was 24.****

Jan 1, 2016, 12:55 PM

...was 18, watched it in the huge town of Scotia, SC.....

Jan 1, 2016, 1:04 PM

...believe it or not, a SC fan had a "Nebraska party" a few blocks up the road. Must've hurt for them that night...

28 years old, 2nd year in IPTAY, wore the orange

Jan 1, 2016, 1:14 PM

overalls. Remember how arrogant Nebraska people were
and we were treated like we did not belong in that game.
Great memories!

After the game, my brother and I

Jan 1, 2016, 2:40 PM

set off fireworks and scared the neighbors to death. LOL

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 1, 2016, 2:54 PM

I graduated in 1982 BSME. 4 years in tiger band and was supply officer that year. So I was in charge of all the logistics of tiger band including all 6 greyhound busses, the truck full of uniforms/equipment and the 5th of Jack Daniels for the ride down. When you are 21 years old you don't really appreciate these sort of things from the perspective of 34 years since the last time we were in this position. That spring I saved all my electives for the last semester so I sat behind the fridge in Music Appreciation (a real prince of a guy) and had Andy Headen and Terry Kinard in my Bugs 200 class. Another pair of class individuals. What surprised me from the many conversations with these guys is that they gave a lot of credit to George Dostal or strength coach. That team was relatively injury free. Imagine if we had Mike Williams last night and Shaq the whole game.

Dostal posted a note on the weight room door in July 81 which simply said "11-0, Nebraska, the orange bowl". He went to the Atlanta Falcons the next year. Such is fate and we await ours presently

Jan 1, 2016, 3:43 PM

As late 70's Grads, we went to the Superdome for the Tulane game as our Bowl Trip for the year. Spent a week in New Orleans. Watched the National Championship game with our Tailgating Friends in North Carolina figuring we would go to the next one. Went to all of the bowl games through the 80's and 90's regretting missing the ship game.

I have my airline flights and hotel booked. Just booked by seats online. We will make this game God Willing.

Fer sure I do. I was there, in the old Orange Bowl

Jan 1, 2016, 2:55 PM

After the game was over I just sat there until they turned out the lights .

Something I wil obviously never forget.

Go 2015 Tigers !!!!!!

Oh and I was a very poor student at the time, we all just piled in the car, slept on the floor in some mobile home in Hollywood.

Time of my life.

Message was edited by: Tigers84a®

I was 27, 4 years into my first job, watched the game

Jan 1, 2016, 4:49 PM

at my apartment with a Coot buddy, but he was a Clemson fan that night. We went out yelling in the street each time we scored. A truly great night to be a Tiger. Still remember the Fridge using and abusing Outland Trophy winning Dave Rimington.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 15 Years Old and remember it like it was yesterday

Jan 1, 2016, 4:57 PM

I went to most of the home games including the Wake massacre..heck of a run and I hope this generation gets to experience that feeling.

It won't feel like the first time, but it will be close enough!

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic