Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Which team would be a better addition to ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Which team would be a better addition to ACC?

Oct 7, 2019, 2:55 PM

This would make 16 conference schools with 15 for football minus Notre Dame, the only way to do this would be to have 3 five team divisions, meaning each school would play 4 games in division & 4 or 5 games outside of division, depending on what the conference decides, this will mean a lot more games outside of division, which is better for fans. Then the top 2 ranked of the 3 division winners would play for the ACC championship

Message was edited by: Watkins Hopkins®

Which team would be a better addition for the ACC?    [Results]

Cincinnati
Memphis
flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Penn State***

Oct 7, 2019, 3:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Navy!

Oct 7, 2019, 5:01 PM

Navy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Penn State would never leave the Big Ten for the ACC

Oct 8, 2019, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Penn State*** ]

They are making quite a bit more money, and they honestly feel more like a Big Ten school than an ACC school anyway.

neither***

Oct 7, 2019, 3:01 PM

Re: neither***

Oct 7, 2019, 9:24 PM

I vote for Penn St , or West VA .

Re: Which team would be a better addition to ACC?

Oct 7, 2019, 3:10 PM

I like the though of Penn State but not sure they would make the jump. Ultimate goal would be to finally get ND to commit, but that probably will never happen. How about Arkansas? I am not totally convinced they love the SEC and I think they could be a good fit for Basketball, Baseball and Football. I think they feel like outsiders in the SEC. Just a thought.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Oct 7, 2019, 3:12 PM

None.

Only two non-power 5 schools I would consider. I would prefer to have both and kick out Notre Shame and/or Loserville.

1. Navy (manyland footprint back)
2. Army

Period. Some things are more important.

North: Army, Navy, BC, VT, Cuse, Pitt, +1, UVA/Miami

South: FSU, GT, Clemson, Wake, NC, State, Duke, Miami/UVA

Nearly re-makes the old ACC

Oct 7, 2019, 3:22 PM

be an awesome Military Appreciation Day!!

^^^^^Agree with the Doc^^^^^

Oct 7, 2019, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Which team would be a better addition to ACC? ]

Navy and/or Army

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Which team would be a better addition to ACC? ]

Agreed! Nationwide footprint and prestige.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Which team would be a better addition to ACC? ]

As a Marylander, I'll tell you no one in Maryland watches Navy or college football. Navy is a national program and its alumni are in Norfolk and San Diego predominately. Maryland is a Pro state. Folks are watching the Redskins or the team from their transplanted location.

Oct 7, 2019, 3:51 PM

That is true for Montgomery and Baltimore County... Anne Arundel is a little bit different. I am an Annapolis native. The midshipmen has some non-beltway support.

Home attendance ranks between Cuse/BC... which is less than UMD but if it wasn't for PedSt or 31-0Hio State boosting UMD attendence, when who know what they would actually have.

But then again, conference expansion is about adding mid-level meat to the the status quo (example, Coots). Plus the service academies would actually strengthen the quasi relationship with ND.

Also, no one is watching the skins right now, unless you are a Pats fan.

Just ask the Terps...

Oct 7, 2019, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Which team would be a better addition to ACC? ]

Back in the day when Maryland fielded a relatively competitive team, their fans became almost impossible to be around (profanity laced tirades, overly aggressive, wanting to fight, throwing objects at opposing fans). Most of those were Redskin and Raven fans who just jumped on the bandwagon when the team was going well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Just ask the Terps... I had heard they were thinking

Oct 7, 2019, 4:34 PM

of dropping Terps and taking "profanity laced tirades" as mascot

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 3:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 7, 2019, 3:34 PM

I would like Notre Dame and Navy and if ND won't agree would like Army. But I think we should go with four, four team pods which rotate every year allowing a player staying three years to play against every other ACC team.

For example:

Pod 1: Clemson, GT, UVA and VT
Pod 2: UNC, Wake, Duke and NCST
Pod 3: Miami, FSU, Louisville, Pitt
Pod 4: ND/Army, Navy, Syracuse, BC

Year 1: Coastal Pod 1&2, Atlantic Pod 3&4
Year 2: Coastal Pod 1&3, Atlantic Pod 2&4
Year 3: Coastal Pod 1&4, Atlantic Pod 2&3

Only seven conference games so have one cross-over for # 8 or just 7 and require scheduling another power 5 team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

I've been saying this for years

Oct 7, 2019, 8:48 PM

4 sub-divisions of 4 teams each which rotate in pairing to form 2 divisions each year.
One permanent rival outside of the division (play 4/4 years) and one that you play 3/4 years (the extra team when your sub-division is paired with your permanent rival's subdivision)

I'd split just a little different, though

Subdivision 1: FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke
Subdivision 2: Clemson, GT, NC State, Wake
Subdivision 3: ND, Louisville, UVA, Va Tech
Subdivision 4: Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Navy/Army

Example of Rivals (secondary):
FSU: Clemson (Louisville)
Miami: Va Tech (Pitt)
UNC: NC State (UVA)
Duke: Wake (Syracuse)
Clemson: FSU (Va Tech)
GT: Pitt (Navy/Army)
NC State: UNC (Notre Dame)
Wake: Duke (BC)
Notre Dame: BC (NC State)
Louisville: Syracuse (FSU)
UVA: Navy/Army (UNC)
Va Tech: Miami (Clemson)
Syracuse: Louisville (Duke)
BC: Notre Dame (Wake)
Pitt: GT (Miami)
Navy/Army: UVA (GT)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 3:37 PM

1. By NCAA rule, you can't have 3 divisions.
2. 16 teams doesn't work. Splits revenue up too much. You are essentially two conferences. You'll never play most of the teams in the conference.
3. Memphis and Cincinatti? WTH do they add?

Don't talk TV footprint. TV footprint is a horrible reason for selecting a team. I think BC and Syracuse prove that.

I agree about Penn State. I'd love to add them and ND. Kick Syracuse and BC to the curb.

Oct 7, 2019, 8:30 PM

THE NCAA changes it's rules all the time, just look at the Big 12 being able to hold a championship after the NCAA had said that you have to have at least 12 teams, the 5 major conference heads who run the CFA, are like 5 mafia bosses & if the ACC wants 3 divisions with the top 2 ranked of the 3 playing in the conference championship, then the other mafia bosses will give it to them & it would be for football only, which as most people know is a whole different animal from the other sports, the conferences basically run the CFA

Oct 7, 2019, 3:44 PM

I love both cities, as far as visiting & Memphis BBQ is the best I have ever had, so from that perspective I would prefer Memphis. They are both really good in both basketball & football

If Memphis BBQ is the best you've ever had then that

Oct 7, 2019, 3:51 PM

tells me all I need to know about you.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: If Memphis BBQ is the best you've ever had then that

Oct 7, 2019, 3:57 PM

Have you ever been to Beale Street?

Yes, and many other streets across the country***

Oct 7, 2019, 3:59 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Yes, and many other streets across the country***

Oct 7, 2019, 4:08 PM

So what's your favorite?

My favorite food is Freedom Fries...

Oct 7, 2019, 4:11 PM

So I’m hoping the ACC lands Boise State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

My favorite what, street?

Oct 7, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes, and many other streets across the country*** ]

I'm particularly fond of the street I live on, it feels like home. Also, I really dislike all of the hippie filled streets out there on the west coast.

Ironic

Oct 7, 2019, 4:55 PM

I think that's where OP hails from.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Ironic

Oct 7, 2019, 4:57 PM

your an idiot & not funny, now that is an ironic combination, since you always try & be funny

your only half write***

Oct 7, 2019, 5:00 PM

Saying "your an idiot" never ceases to make me laugh

Oct 7, 2019, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Ironic ]

talk about irony...

Re: My favorite what, street?

Oct 7, 2019, 4:56 PM [ in reply to My favorite what, street? ]

no your favorite type of BBQ?

You mean like mustard or vinegar?***

Oct 7, 2019, 7:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Are you try & be funny?

Oct 7, 2019, 7:20 PM

Re: You mean like mustard or vinegar?***

Oct 7, 2019, 7:27 PM [ in reply to You mean like mustard or vinegar?*** ]

Yes, I actually like all BBQ my personal rankings would be
1.Memphis
2.Carolina Mustard Pulled Pork
3.Texas Brisket
4.St.Louis Short Ribs

But as I said I like it all, if there are any other kinds of BBQ, I have yet to try them

Navy and Army would be great!

Oct 7, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Yes, and many other streets across the country*** ]

Had never thought about the academies before but, yeah! I like the idea. I think they would be awesome conference members.

Outside of them I haven't looked up Cincinnati or Memphis as far as academics. I have looked up UCF and they are better than a few of our current ACC teams! With a better football program.

What about Tulane or James Madison if we are just going to blow up the conference, LOL? See list.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2019/08/15/25-top-colleges-and-universities-in-the-south-2019-ranked-by-academics-and-outcomes/#4aff22a74ada

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Memphis BBQ is the best you've ever had then that

Oct 8, 2019, 7:01 AM [ in reply to If Memphis BBQ is the best you've ever had then that ]

Wow - obviously you are speaking out of your (Boston) butt, and you have never been to Memphis and had REAL BBQ. I lived in Memphis, and their BBQ is the BEST in the country (or world probably). You should get out more, since your grandma probably wants her basement back.

We already have 16 member schools, 15 for football***

Oct 7, 2019, 3:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We already have 16 member schools, 15 for football***

Oct 7, 2019, 3:59 PM

You are wrong, but I'll give you a break on that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference

I think UCF would be better than both.

Oct 7, 2019, 4:06 PM

More upside potential, larger TV market. Actually in a state on the Atlantic Coast.

Then, I would divide the divisions geographically, even though the balance of power would be in the south.

South: Miami, UCF, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCSU, Wake
North: BC, Cuse, Pitt, VT, UVA, UL, Duke, ND (either in for football or out completely)

But, doesn't matter. No conference realignment until the Big schools decide to break and for some sort of "super alliance" with 32 to 64 teams. The other teams now in FBS will have some other status between FBS and FCS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WVU or PSU

Oct 7, 2019, 4:18 PM

Split ACC into North and South divisions, go to 9 conference games, play 7 division games and 2 nondivision games. Would play every nondivision team over 4 year period.

South:
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami
UNC
Duke
Wake
NC State

North:
UVA
VT
BC
Cuse
Pitt
Louisville
ND
WVU or PSU

I think the best possible addition would be...

Oct 7, 2019, 4:27 PM

kicking BC, Pitt, and Syracuse out.

Multiplication by subtraction

Oct 7, 2019, 4:40 PM

or something like that

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of the above!***

Oct 7, 2019, 4:42 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 5:07 PM

Drop Notre Dame from the conference period, pick up Cincinnati, or Memphis and perhaps Central Florida, then realign the Conference into a North-South configuration.

Oct 7, 2019, 5:15 PM

yes, I like dropping ND & adding both 2 of the 3 schools mentioned, my only thought is do we need a 3rd Florida school?

I think sooner or later N.Dame

Oct 7, 2019, 7:12 PM

will have to fully join a conference for football, & the ACC has the inside track - I guess. Seems like winning Natties in the playoff era will almost force their hand. The Irish would make us much more respectable.

I don't think Cincinnati or Memphis would help elevate the league's Power 5 football status much. Right now we're so basketball heavy, that's how we're perceived.

EVERY NC school is a basketball school: Duke, UNC, NCST & Wake. Then UVA - - b-ball all the way, except a few f-ball teams every decade or 2. We expanded but picked up 2 MORE big b-ball schools - SYR & LOO-uh-vull. Also got 2 f-ball schools - - "Miam-uh" (as some say) & VaTech. BC - a football school & Pitt - along w/obviously CU, FSU, G-Tech.

The big coup in expanding might be N.Dame & Penn St. A big ask, but 1 in the Coastal & 1 in the Atlantic would be pretty special. We'd have to add a 9th conf game, but I'd kinda like it.

Oct 7, 2019, 7:20 PM

We should add Alabama and Ohio State, that way they can get out of their dreadfully weak conferences and have some real competition.

Neither.

Oct 7, 2019, 8:05 PM

Both have subpar academics, and I'm not sure either school brings much to the table in terms of their overall athletic program.

My first choice is to get Notre Dame to join as a full member (i.e., for football). This makes sense, because they are already an ACC member in everything else. They have a strong following, good sports teams overall (especially football and basketball), and good academics.

If not ND, my second choice would be Penn State. They are far enough removed from the Sandusky/Paterno stuff that I would feel comfortable with them being in the ACC. They are a good school who compete at a high level in football, however their basketball leaves much to be desired. Still, their fans support their team well and they are in the ACC's "footprint."

I have no interest in adding a military school. There is no way those schools can compete given the fact that they are service academies. They are at a huge recruiting disadvantage as a result, and I'm willing to bet their athletic budgets are very low compared to the rest of the ACC as well. I honestly don't understand why some people are so fascinated with the idea of adding Navy or Army.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Penn State

Oct 7, 2019, 8:38 PM

Add Penn State they are a natural fit. Many Penn State fans hate the Big Ten as it is ruled by Ohio State and Michigan similar to the way UNC and Duke have ruled the ACC. They feel Penn State has always been treated like a second class citizen as is any team that is not OSU or Michigan. Also the addition of Maryland and Rutgers has done nothing for them (both suck) unlike what was promised.

Many Penn State fans would love to be in the ACC because of the great away games (Miami and Clemson vs Minnesota and Iowa) and some natural rivalries (Pitt and Syracuse). The only thing stopping them is the money but that will change as the rust belt continues to rust.

Option one
Drop Louisville add Penn State

North Division
Syracuse, BC, Penn State, Pitt, UVA, VT, Wake

South Division
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCST, Duke

Option two
Add Penn State and ND

North Division
Syracuse, BC, Penn State, Pitt, UVA, VT, Louisville, ND

South Division
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCST, Duke, Wake

Oct 7, 2019, 9:36 PM

Neither one. ACC does not need anymore crap teams.

Oct 7, 2019, 9:39 PM

sadly they are better than over half the teams in the ACC

I see the anti-ACC propaganda is working.

Oct 8, 2019, 7:37 AM

They are not better than Clemson, FSU, Miami, Wake, UNC, Duke, or Virginia. Probably not BC or Pitt either. Currently better than GT and UL and maybe VT, but not for long as those programs will be back to their normal status in the next few years. Syracuse and BC I'll call toss-ups right now but over the long run will be consistently more competitive than either of these.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 7:05 AM

We should add UofSuc and put them in the Atlantic division, so we would guarantee they would never play in another championship game again. They could be our "Little Brother".

Oct 8, 2019, 7:11 AM

Penn St., UCF maybe W. VA. Depending on the academic grades each school have as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 8:38 AM

I don't get the love on this board for a directional school UCF in the ACC. No chance of it happening. The ACC already has Miami and FSU. Florida is a wrap.

Oct 8, 2019, 9:04 AM

UCF

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic