Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where is a good place to get on MARTA...if I want to hop on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Where is a good place to get on MARTA...if I want to hop on

Aug 27, 2012, 11:51 AM

somewhere outside of Atlanta and then ride in? Does anyone have any good advice from previous Georgia Dome experience?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where is a good place to get on MARTA...if I want to hop on

Aug 27, 2012, 11:52 AM

Doraville has the first MARTA stop you get to coming in on I-85 South.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

My advice is have a lot of patience on the way out!***

Aug 27, 2012, 11:59 AM

Indian Creek is good for those of us that come via I-20.***

Aug 27, 2012, 12:04 PM

Aug 27, 2012, 12:05 PM

I will never again ride the Mart to a Clemosn game in Atlanta. I have done it twice,and both times it was horrible after the game. Almost unbearable. I saw eldery fans knocked to the ground, drunks throwing up in the cars with wall to wall people and kids, also total diregard for people in wheel chairs. Almost zero police presence, and really quie an unsafe situation.

the wrst tim was the New Years eve bowl game , I am drawing a blank on who it was ..but the ride out was absoltely horrible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2012, 12:28 PM

Yep seen the samething after the bama game.

Never again

I'm going to have my kids with me - but what are my other

Aug 27, 2012, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Where is a good place to get on MARTA...if I want to hop on ]

options besides MARTA? Is it better to just drive in and battle the traffic both ways?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in metro Atlanta and ride MARTA to any games in the

Aug 28, 2012, 12:28 AM

dome including every Clemson game. I have personally seen none of the incidents like reported above. Is it crowded? Yes, because it is a great way not to have to battle traffic and parking and what would you expect when a crowd of thousands of fans exit a game at the same time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2012, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Where is a good place to get on MARTA...if I want to hop on ]

I rode the MARTA after both Tenn bowl game and Alab game and didn't have problem either time... short wait, but not bad. Maybe I was lucky?

Couple suggestions (that I hope most of you ignore!)
1)Park east of Atlanta off of perimeter and take Blue line. You will not have to change trains and most others will be parking and taking yellow and red lines.

2)On way out, get on train at Vine station...closer than you think to the dome. Seems like more people would do this, but has not been my experience the last few times at Dome

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We used to park at Lennox Square Mall. It's easy on/easy off

Aug 27, 2012, 12:05 PM

You have to walk about a block to the station but parking is free and it's well lit.

Doraville, Chamblee or Lenox....

Aug 27, 2012, 12:15 PM

if you're coming South on I-85.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Doraville....

Aug 27, 2012, 12:43 PM

We've gotten on at Doraville in the past. Do you recall the transit time from Doraville to the Dome via MARTA?

Re: Doraville....

Aug 27, 2012, 12:45 PM

"Doraville----A touch of country in the city".....thanks to ARS

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are about ten stops....

Aug 27, 2012, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Doraville.... ]

between Doraville and Five Points where you will have to change trains to get to the Georgia Dome (unless you walk form Five Points to the Dome). It's probably about a 45 minute ride.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perimeter Mall is as good as anything.

Aug 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

Especially if you're coming from the North. From 85, go 285 West, take a right on Ashford Dunwoody, take your first left and the Marta Station is on the right. If you want to get some eats and drink or two before you go down. Just go to the Taco Mac (at Perimeter Center Place) and park at the deck, then walk 1/4 mile to the station. Car will be fine to leave all day at the deck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My advice...stay the heck away from MARTA if you value

Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 PM

not being mugged by some ghetto thug. But if you insist, parking at the mall in Buckhead and walking a couple of blocks to the terminal is what I have done when going to see games in the Ga Dome in the past.

I suggest

Aug 27, 2012, 12:27 PM

not taking the Marta unless you want to wait 3 hours to get home after the game. Pay to park and walk and deal with pregame traffic versus post game as my experience for GA Dome football traffic on Saturday nights have been very bad.

This is a non-sequitur.

Aug 27, 2012, 12:46 PM

Do not--I repeat--do not board MARTA with any loved ones before, during or after a game at the GA Dome. Unless, of course, you're trying to "get rid" of somebody. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 27, 2012, 12:47 PM

Never had any trouble riding the Marta,We try parking near the dome two times,What a nightmare after the game ,three hours getting back to the hotel.
Sure its pack after the game ,We get on at the Kingston station always been cops at the station.
I would say we have rode the Marta at least 6 times over the past few years,Go for it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would suggest you NOT ride the train... I would drive down***

Aug 27, 2012, 1:04 PM

I'm curious....

Aug 27, 2012, 1:09 PM

as to the basis for your recommendation. It's not an issue for me on Saturday since I am staying at the Omni but I have ridden MARTA many many times and have never had a problem particularly after a Clemson game when there are tons of people around.

Agreed. What's the problem, TFS1972?***

Aug 27, 2012, 1:11 PM

I refuse to take MARTA to anything at the Dome anymore

Aug 27, 2012, 1:23 PM

I've taken it to 2 Peach Bowls, an SEC Championship Game and a Falcons game. Never again. If you just don't want to drive, get a cab at one of the hotels. MARTA is only marginally better for GT games.

But for MARTA

1) The wait to get on the train is crazy. They even have signs like at Disney World saying the "approximate wait from here is 1 hour."

2) Night games are even worse when they run the shorter, 4-car trains. Even when they go with the full size at the Dome, most folks have to transfer at 5-points onto shorter trains. They just shift the line.

3) Now they make certain runs "Local only" at night so you might have to transfer and wait AGAIN.

If you are hell-bent on taking the train don't use the entrance just past Gate D (I think). YOu are better off walking to the entrance for Phillips Arena or even across Northside Drive to Vine City. If they look crowded ride AWAY from 5 points and go 1 or 2 stops and get back on the train going east.

share your thoughts...so easy to drive/get in and out***

Aug 27, 2012, 1:27 PM

Yes. Any lot off of Northside Drive are easy in/out

Aug 27, 2012, 1:49 PM

If you are coming from 85 you can get there by getting off at North Avenue (the GT exit). North Ave runs you into Northside Drive.

I almost always park in the Yellow Lot. If there are any left for pre-sale you can find them at http://www.gadome.com/guest/directions/Parking.aspx

All of the Ga Dome lots are price controlled. (yellow is $20) There are plenty of gypsy lots around there that arent. I've parked in that elementry school across the street from the dome and it is fenced in and monitored. I think I paid $40.

Easy, maybe, but, "I would suggest you NOT ride the train".

Aug 27, 2012, 11:50 PM [ in reply to share your thoughts...so easy to drive/get in and out*** ]

Why? Have you ever experienced a dangerous situation?

having rode the trains many times to both Falcons and

Aug 27, 2012, 1:18 PM [ in reply to I'm curious.... ]

Braves games MANY times and also having driven MANY times it's easier time wise and safety wise to drive in a car. I avoid Marta now.

"Safety wise"... What do you mean?***

Aug 27, 2012, 11:50 PM

FYI...it's not so much a safety related issue but

Aug 27, 2012, 1:21 PM [ in reply to I'm curious.... ]

more of a convenience for me...I live on the northwest side of Atlanta...the train doesn't come to our side of town...Cobb Co...so for me it's much easier to drive south on 75...getting off on Northside Drive and getting over to the dome....the train just doesn't work for me.

Is it or is it not? You've said both.***

Aug 27, 2012, 11:51 PM

Don't do it..Waaaayyyyy too much going on in ATL saturday

Aug 28, 2012, 12:34 AM

Marta will be a mess you don't wanna be in.Better to just be in traffic.
Braves/Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Ted
African American Pride parade downtown
Dragon-con downtown
Nascar
are all in town saturday.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic