Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where Kelly Bryant Ranks...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Where Kelly Bryant Ranks...

Jul 16, 2018, 8:30 PM

Statistically, Bryant stands soundly among the most prominent Clemson quarterbacks of the previous 20 seasons. He has compiled a higher pass efficiency rating than Charlie Whitehurst, a higher completion percentage than Tajh Boyd and a higher yards-per-attempt average than Kyle Parker.

Bryant’s career completion percentage, 66.1, is second among the 10 quarterbacks included in the comparison. He trails only Watson (67.4). Bryant has recorded the highest attempts per interception average, 46.2. Cullen Harper, who led Clemson in 2007 and 2008, is the only other quarterback who also averaged more than 40 attempts per pick. Bryant’s efficiency rating was 130.98
Source Greenville News- Manny Robinson

Clemson’s leading receiver Deon Cain had a disappointing 12.5 percent drop rate.(Which was his only true down field threat in 2017)
Source CFB Filmroom

Record: 14-2; ACC Championship; #1 Ranking after ACC Championship Game; Also listed as one of the Heisman favorites for this season and the only QB on the Clemson roster to start a college game.

Just the facts Mam.

Now my Opinion
TL will win a NC in 2020 and may win two, but KB will win it in 2018.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am one who loves the job KB did last year for us

Jul 16, 2018, 8:49 PM

and I think he gets some unnecessary criticism. He often gets bashed and I don’t like to see that happen to any of our players who play their heart out for us HOWEVER, he is not the type of QB that can beat a team like Alabama as has already been proven. His passing game is not enough to keep a defense like Alabama honest. They can jam receivers at the LOS and their Dline can pin their ears back to tee off on him. Not all of the Alabama game was his fault. Our blocking was horrendous but you are simply not going to beat Alabama with the type of QB that KB is. TL is MUCH better and anyone who can’t see that he has a much higher ceiling simply doesn’t know much about football. To be quite honest here Alabama is going to be extremely tough to beat with Tua at QB. Smash mouth football will not beat Alabama and any attempt to play smash mouth will likely result in a blowout now that they have an elite QB. You have to match them with an elite QB to have a chance and KB is not it. I love the kid and what he did for us but that’s just the truth.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am one who loves the job KB did last year for us

Jul 16, 2018, 8:59 PM

Watch the Miami game, the Louisville game and the VT game.

We can win the title with KB. We can lose it with KB.

We are hopeful that TL is a legendary, generational talent. At this point no one knows if our hopes will be realized.

That's why they play the games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 9:02 PM

Louisville and VT defense is trash. Miami game was a good game

Jul 16, 2018, 9:11 PM

You still have to make the throws and given time he proved he could do it

Jul 16, 2018, 9:46 PM

Not from what i saw last season. I don't know what you watched, but i saw a qb who struggled to throw and has no zip on his passes. He doesn't go through progressions and make reads. He locks onto his target from the start and if he isn't open then he tries to run. It's quite obvious. 1 exception was this play here and i wish we saw more of that, but i still feel like this was supposed to be the go to target. He does a nice job of looking off though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0mF1kE8KY

Jul 16, 2018, 9:58 PM

Make up your mind. Watch the ACCC. Watch all the games except cuse He was hurt bama smacked our online in the mouth joe Montana couldn’t have thrown the ball jezz

Jul 16, 2018, 10:06 PM

Only had 151 yards vs a train wreck FSU, RB's made the majority of the TD's in that game...didn't throw well vs VT either (second lowest completion % of the season).

bama was able to use that type of defensive strategy because

Jul 16, 2018, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I am one who loves the job KB did last year for us ]

The lack of passing threat. You didn't see them load up the box like that against dw4. He put up huge numbers vs bama 2 years in a row with similar talent on the OL.

People like to blame our TE play for lack of production last year but let's face it. We were a much less dynamic offense.. way too many short high percentage passes. Rob Spence style

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I am one who loves the job KB did last year for us ]

“Make up your mind.”?
What is it you aren’t understanding that I said? My mind is made up

Jul 17, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I am one who loves the job KB did last year for us ]

Kb’s Inability to throw downfield effectively led to bama suffocating the line of scrimmage armsb. How do you not see this? And I keep hearing about different receivers may make a difference but it won’t. He will just overthrow Higgins like he did Cain. TL is the best option

Jul 17, 2018, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Re: I am one who loves the job KB did last year for us ]

“Watch these 3 of his 14 games and he’s good” that’s not a good statistic. Take away gimme games and he averages a TD in 1/3 games

Jul 17, 2018, 12:19 AM

Wasn't a good statistic the second he said VT, a game he had less than 60% completions, his second lowest of the season, 1st being Bama.

Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks...

Jul 16, 2018, 8:59 PM

Those statistics you threw out are great but he has thrown SIGNIFICANTLY less passes than all three of those guys

Dude threw 13 Tds and 8 picks last year with 4 Tds coming against The Citadel and Kent St. That is not great no matter how you spin it.

I think Kelly is a great kid and was the best option we had at qb last year. But if he doesn’t improve significantly he will not be the starting qb all year

Jul 17, 2018, 6:29 AM

100% this!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 9:01 PM

You're an idiot.

The only NC won in 2018 will be with TL.

KB needs to play another position.

Jul 16, 2018, 9:12 PM

Nope when calling someone a idiot look in the mirror first. You jerk

Jul 17, 2018, 1:23 PM

Well based off your responses I would say u should find a mirror, look in it and ask yourself, “In 3 years will I feel stupid that I defended KB over TL?”

Jul 17, 2018, 10:13 PM

I support you ever plays and I dang sure will never dog a guy that won and took us back to the play offs when most thought we wouldn't make it back because of KB

Will you look back and say I should have cut him some slack because he was a GREAT TIGER

Jul 17, 2018, 10:24 PM

No I won’t say that because I don’t overly criticize him. Nobody bashed kelly. Again, it sounds negative when discussing his ability to throw down field or look away from his primary target when he’s covered instead of tucking and running all the time. Great runner but that run first mentality isn’t going to cut it at the QB position to win national championships and that’s what we compete for. You might be OK for settling for another playoff appearance and yes I use the word settling because the program is so good that’s what it would be. I don’t want the entire defensive line to have come back for us to come up short again because of Kelly Bryant’s arm. That’s all

Jul 17, 2018, 10:31 PM

You have 8 post LOL what was your other handle ? KB has been dogged on here since the last game.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:36 PM

Again, it’s not “dogging” him to talk about bad stats and deficiencies.
Yes I have 8 posts now 9..... ?

Jul 17, 2018, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks... ]

dogged? No..... His deficiencies discussed the same way anyone would discuss Etienne and Feaster needing to improve blocking, TE's needing to step up their production, Deon dropping balls, cornerbacks being a potential weakness people hope they address... Yes.

Sorry, being QB doesn't make him immune to having issues that need work, nor does it make him the one player that no one can discuss. And well... This should make it obvious where his deficiencies are... Exactly where people have been saying:

Jul 17, 2018, 11:04 PM

And one player can't win or lose a game that's why there's 11 on both sides

Jul 17, 2018, 11:07 PM

Lol at this. The QB position can absolutely win/lose a game solely because of his performance. You’re quite the moron

Jul 17, 2018, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks... ]

Don't think anyone said one player did... But it still doesn't mean one player didn't have an issue. Being a team effort doesnt mask a clear deficiency in his passing game, no matter how much you try. He has to fix it, or it will continue to be a problem. Throwing 10 ft over guys heads is on one guy... The QB.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks... ]

Oh and before you say he didn't do that several times in games, and did yet again several times in the spring game....I present to you first drive of that awesome VT game you think he had...twice... Once to Cain, once to Renfrow that sailed so bad, it landed in the end zone. Both same drive. Ended with a FG.

So that's on the receivers, right? They should have used their 007 super booster shoe button I guess.

Jul 18, 2018, 10:12 AM

we won 31 to 17 get over yourself

Jul 19, 2018, 10:32 AM

And Bryant was only responsible for 7 of that...or was he? Great, he threw a20 yard pass... Think Feaster did more on his 60+ yard run afterwards for that TD... Get over yourself. Dorian O Daniel, Feaster, and Fuller are mostly who won that game. Kelly Bryant's second lowest of the season 57% completions didn't, I can assure you.

Jul 18, 2018, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks... ]

Funny you didn't show the 3rd and 8 to McCloud for 30 yrds on the first drive

Jul 18, 2018, 10:23 AM

3rd and 7 to refrow ??? At the 2 yrd line 1st drive

Are you brain dead

Jul 19, 2018, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks... ]

Drive ended in what? Oh yeah, a FG. One good pass, 2 bad.... Resulted in the kicker getting the points. Yeah that proves your point, huh? Maybe if he could pass into the end zone, you'd have something. Since he couldn't, Spence had to bail him out on that drive.

A few caught passes doesn't remove his inconsistency, which is still there with the 2 that sailed over... And the drive stalling. Are you blind?

Maybe you should just go pull for the coots, since you are content with a QB that can make pass here and there, but throws inconsistently, racks up yards, but can't get it in the end zone often with his arm in bigger games. I hear Bentley is not too shabby at that... He was only 4 ranks below Bryant in passing efficiency, btw. Hope you don't think he sucks... What would that say of what you think the guy only 4 above him in passing efficiency is?

Jul 16, 2018, 10:04 PM

Yes, he stands out...the other direction as well.

He also had 14-20 total TD's less (10-12 less in passing alone) and over 1000 yards less in a full season (with 1 more game played) than Boyd....also same for vs Watson (only Watson played 16 games, 1 more than Bryant) but had over 1700 less passing yards than Watson...and nearly only half of his total TD's. His QB Rat was also lower than both Boyd and Watson...and Whitehurst. He had 7 less passing TD's than Kyle Parker's best year as well.

Compared to several upper level college/NFL QB's best college years, he's at least 1000 yards passing less than many of them, except for Cam Newton who had similar total passing yards...but had 17 more passing TD's than Bryant did the year Newton won the title... Over double his entire season of passing.

Statistically speaking...that is.

So you’re saying KB is a better passer than

Jul 16, 2018, 10:13 PM

Tajh? Or perhaps is it that we had to adopt a short passing game due to his limitations in completing the deep ball consistently which inflated his completion % and attempts/interception because the throws are less risky? Think it was more of the latter.

I like KB and respect what he did for us last season but we have a generational type talent now in his position room and there’s no shame in getting beat out by that.

We owe it to all the seniors that turned down big $$$ to come back and win another ring for Clemson to put them in the best position to accomplish that goal and IMO TL is a better option to maximize the potential of our offense and become the best team we can be.

Have I been wrong before? My fiancée will certainly say yes but I feel confident about this one

Re: So you’re saying KB is a better passer than

Jul 17, 2018, 10:16 PM

He beat the coots ?

What the hell does that have to do

Jul 18, 2018, 10:24 AM

With being a better passer? And now who’s the one dogging players?

I could’ve gone out there at QB and beat the coots last year and that’s only a slight exaggeration.

WBII -- will we still be having this debate when TL

Jul 16, 2018, 10:18 PM

gets drafted in the Top 10 and starts in the NFL?

KB will make a he11uva backup and hopefully will choose to maintain his important senior leadership status, but TL is the QB with the high ceiling and the world class skill sets. Did anyone watch the spring game and see how KB responded to the pressure TL brought to the table?

As for Deon Cain, I expect he will have a strong NFL career. Look at his outstanding performance with DW4. Cain will be back with a hopefully healthy Andrew Luck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 11:49 PM

He’s the worst starting quarterback we’ve had since Parker, and I only put him in front of Kyle bc of his running ability and leadership

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 of 11 for 19 yds and 3 interceptions with the #1 defense in the nation on your team ring a bell?

Jul 17, 2018, 9:29 AM

Kelly Bryant is not even close to being the worst QB we’ve had since KP

You all have lost your minds

Jul 17, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Where Kelly Bryant Ranks... ]

with your love of TL.

We made a lot of deep throws early in the season last year when Fuller was in the game and against opponents we could physically dominate. Because he was the only back that could really block and give the deep ball time to come open. If Feaster and Etienne and Choice much improved blocking next year, our deep passing game will suffer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You all have lost your minds

Jul 17, 2018, 11:32 AM

We get our best blocking TE back this year, Garrett Williams. Don't forget 2016, he and Gallman were the two best non-line blockers on the team. That should help some.

Jul 17, 2018, 1:25 PM [ in reply to You all have lost your minds ]

This is just dumb. We also missed on a lot of deep passes last year. 10 yards or more he’s a 35% passer lol. That’s terrible

Jul 17, 2018, 10:33 PM

didn't think you spoke bad of KB You are a jerk

Jul 17, 2018, 11:08 PM

I’m speaking bad of 35% and if thats KB’s number then that’s his fault

Jul 17, 2018, 8:24 AM

I Believe KB starts the season and goes stronger than last year. Defenses may be less inclined to try and knock KB out with TL looming in the shadows. You're right KB has been outstanding he only lost to a NC winning Alabama team. When was the last time Bama lost 2 in a row, or two in a row to the same team? Bama was focus on us that night and DC's drops were a momentum killer too often. KB wins it all this year and TL takes the torch next year for any a B2B

Jul 17, 2018, 11:15 AM

I hope you're right but he's essentially had four years to get better. He studied under the best QB in college FB and he still can't make the easy throws with consistency. There was really no pressure on him in the spring game but he missed targets bad. No doubt in practice he makes some of those throws, but it's different doing it in practice and actually taking it game by game.

As the other posters said above, we owe it to our All Americans that came back to put the best out there. imo a learning TL or CB is still going to give us a better chance to win a championship game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 2:04 PM

This. We owe it to the seniors.

We also owe it to the freshmen who came here understanding that we are a high-energy program going through a one-year retooling. If we insist on being loyal to the well-liked maintenance man instead of returning to productivity and profitability, we need to be honest with our investors (our recruits) that our mission has changed and we're sorry for wasting their time.

Does anybody think Powell, Overton or Trevion Thompson will get a serious look from the League if KB is our QB? They won't. How 'bout Renfrow? He's probably a #6 or worse right now in spite of being the CFP career TD record holder; but if TL plays, all those players have a shot at the next level.

I will support them all, but it's not personal. TL may not be half the man KB is--i don't know. I also don't care right now. Start the guy who moves the offense and scores TDs. Period.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:10 PM

So what you’re saying is we owe it to KB more than we owe it to the senior defense lineman who returned to win a national championship ????????? Wow

Jul 17, 2018, 11:45 PM

Ummmm...i said the exact opposite

Jul 19, 2018, 10:19 AM

Sorry wrong person

Jul 17, 2018, 6:33 PM

How many times re we going to rehash this.... The only stat that matters is he is 0-1 in CPB playoff games and it wasn't close... and yes he was a huge part of it.

This is nothing against KB personally.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:14 PM

Kelly Bryant sucks out loud

Jul 17, 2018, 10:34 PM

not as bad as you coot

numbers can tell you whatever you want to see, but.........

Jul 19, 2018, 10:56 AM

the bottom line is

Nobody can beat bama without some sort of downfield passing threat. So unless KB has some massive passing transformation from the spring game he WILL NOT beat bama.

that being said the way our schedule is this year I have confidence that both TL & KB could take us to 11-1 or 12-0, but I don't have confidence that KB has the passing capability to at least keep defenses of "playoff teams" (particularly BAMA) honest and backed off the LOS.............I'd love for him to prove me and many others on here wrong.

Need to include yards per attempts (YPA) in there somewhere

Jul 19, 2018, 11:18 AM

It's far too important to omit and certainly more meaningful than just completion %. Bryant was OK in that area. He wasn't bad like Parker, Stoudt, Simmons, and the one miserable year for poor Charlie when he had no talent around him. He wasn't good either like Boyd, Watson, and maybe 2000 Woody.

Bryant 2017 - 7.0
Watson 2016 - 7.9
Watson 2015 - 8.4
Watson 2014 - 10.7
Stoudt 2014 - 6.3
Boyd 2013 - 9.3
Boyd 2012 - 9.1
Boyd 2011 - 7.7
Parker 2010 - 6.5
Parker 2009 - 6.8
Harper 2008 - 7.2
Harper 2007 - 6.9
Proctor 2006 - 7.7
Whitehurst 2005 - 7.3
Whitehurst 2004 - 5.9
Whitehurst 2003 - 7.7
Whitehurst 2002 - 7.3
Simmons 2002 - 6.4
Dantzler 2001 - 7.6
Dantzler - 2000 - 8.0

I'm still amazed every time i hear somebody crap on Tajh Boyd.

Re: Need to include yards per attempts (YPA) in there somewhere

Jul 19, 2018, 11:28 AM

Tajh was pretty good at most things, except shaking off a bad play or series. The main bad thing I remember on him was just that deer in headlights look he'd get when something bad happened, then the "quicksand" he'd get into afterwards (FSU 2013 is a big example of it). Still surprises me he didn't get drafted somehow.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic