Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When is our Administration/Athletic Department going to take
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

When is our Administration/Athletic Department going to take

Sep 18, 2018, 1:26 PM

a stand regarding the amount of home noon kickoff games we are stuck with?

We have been a top five team for several years. It's ridiculous, and why do we seemingly just keep taking it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When is our Administration/Athletic Department going to take

Sep 18, 2018, 1:32 PM

Who knows what we are doing behind the scenes? We generally dont publicize it when we let the powers know we arent satisfied. What about opening on the road 7 straight years in conf. UNC and Duke dont face that in hoops. Why are we subjected to it in football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wouldn't surprise me to know that with our coaches...

Sep 18, 2018, 1:41 PM

propensity to torture our players by beating them down to quell the potentially massive ego a team with this much talent could generate, are asking for this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least we don't have any Thurs or Fri games this year***

Sep 18, 2018, 1:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

baby.steps.***

Sep 18, 2018, 1:52 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It probably has to do with our contract with the ACC...

Sep 18, 2018, 1:38 PM

and their contract with ESPiN. My consolation is that the national coverage of the game through that contract is good exposure and allows Clemson fans all over the country to see our Tigers play. We get plenty of prime time games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think the University has very much, if any, real say

Sep 18, 2018, 1:42 PM

It's a contractual issue between the league and television networks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

the honest answer is ----- Never

Sep 18, 2018, 1:42 PM

first of all, they have no choice. When you get paid $20 million a year or whatever, you play when they tell you to. If Clemson was in Central Time, we'd have 11AM games, like Auburn, Nebraska, Texas, etc does. Try those on for size.

I gotta be honest - I'm getting to like early games. Get up, get at it, and get it over with. Waiting on a 7 or 8PM kickoff is torture. You can casually get back home and enjoy some of the day/evening. I assume the Clemson Admin prefers them also. Media too. I know Dabo and the coaches do. Number of drunks reduced by 90%, plus there's reasonable time to clean up, write stories, entertain recruits, etc after the game instead of having to do it after midnight.

There is a reason why...

Sep 18, 2018, 1:50 PM

the Paw is tilted to 1:00 which is the historic start time for Clemson football.

From 1957 to 1991, the Clemson Football team played no home night games. During this time period, the traditional kickoff time for home games was 1:00, resulting in the distinguishable tilt of the Tiger Paw in a 1 o'clock direction.

One of the reasons for this kickoff time was the preference of the fans who had to drive long distances in a day to see the Tigers play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a reason why...

Sep 18, 2018, 2:00 PM

You got it said before I got to. When was the last time we had a 1:00 o'clock game at home?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a reason why...

Sep 18, 2018, 2:02 PM

Not sure but definitely has to do with the TV time slots. There really is no 1 pm time slot with the way everything is structured currently

Not really an option anymore...

Sep 18, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: There is a reason why... ]

Kickoff times on the east coast are now 12:00, 12:30, 3:30. 7:00 or 7:30.

Re: There is a reason why...IN the early 70's we played at 1

Sep 18, 2018, 2:31 PM [ in reply to There is a reason why... ]

all the time, period. We also sat through some of the worst and most boring football ever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes you really feel for Ga Tech fans now huh ?!?!?!***

Sep 18, 2018, 2:43 PM

you always have a choice

Sep 18, 2018, 1:50 PM [ in reply to the honest answer is ----- Never ]

why does it have to be 11 am or 7 pm ?

there are games inbetween

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: the honest answer is ----- Never

Sep 18, 2018, 2:06 PM [ in reply to the honest answer is ----- Never ]

"If Clemson was in Central Time, we'd have 11AM games, like Auburn, Nebraska, Texas, etc does. Try those on for size. ".

I'm not sure that's correct. Central time games also start at noon, which is 1:00p Eastern. I lived in Bama and Memphis (both central time) and east coast games that started at noon did indeed start at 11:00a Central time, but the games were played in the eastern time zone. I don't remember any games that started at 11:00a in their specific time zone, but memory is not all that great.

so the UGA at Missouri game Saturday has a noon EDT kickoff

Sep 18, 2018, 2:22 PM

what time do you think that kickoff is in Columbia, MO?

who cares. .they are both irrelevant teams***

Sep 18, 2018, 2:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

From a college student perspective

Sep 18, 2018, 4:21 PM [ in reply to the honest answer is ----- Never ]

Night games are a better atmosphere and since I have to drive from WCU ~2 hour drive with good traffic its better during a night game because I have an excuse to stay in town and see all of my friends who go to Clemson and party before and after with them

DRad don't care...I know m a cry baby

Sep 18, 2018, 1:48 PM

but..

before Drad.went to GT they rarely had noon games. . After DRAD they had a bunch. .

then he hired Paul Johnson.

don't blame me when clemson starts running the quadruple option.

the LSU and SCAR ties run deep with him.

As long as we still show up and pack the place they will

Sep 18, 2018, 1:53 PM

take no notice...Noon games are cheaper for the school, they prefer them...Simple as that

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaches have a lot of reasons to like noon games.

Sep 18, 2018, 1:54 PM

So I don’t know...going out on a limb here...but I’m thinking that could be considered.

Recruits don't like them...

Sep 18, 2018, 1:57 PM

which is a big reason many coaches don't like them.

It's hard for a lot of recruits to play on Friday night and get to Clemson in time for a noon game on Saturday.

Sep 18, 2018, 2:45 PM

1. Old alumni with some influence see the prospects of noon games and shrug their shoulders while saying "Meh, thats how Frank Howard did it, I dont mind tradition. Plus I still get my rest for the 8 o'clock Sunday service!"

2.Prime time viewership: being a good team in a conference that has not been a powerhouse conference the last 25 years, and has among the smallest schools in the P5 which does not produce a lot of alumni or fans wont generate the best TV ratings. Thats why the SEC network looks like a professional national syndication, and the ACC network looks like a soccer dad with a video camera. The ACC may have the history and some wealthy fans, but we dont have the numbers.

3. A team like Clemson is going to kill the ratings unless its a ranked matchup. We are so good that no one wants to watch us kill an unranked team.

Sep 18, 2018, 2:54 PM

Great post. Notice how we had Auburn at night last year, and we've played at night in recent years against teams like ND, Louisville, Georgia, and South Carolina(not as many big games that day). Syracuse may very well be 4-0 when we play, and they did beat us last year, but we'll probably still be favored by 20 points so it's not exactly a game that'll excite the national audience very much for a prime time slot on ESPN or ABC.

Sep 18, 2018, 2:51 PM

With this particular game, we're getting a national game on ABC. Sure, we could be on at 3:30, but it would be regional on ABC, and we'd be up against other big games for the day. We could also be on at 7, but we'd be on ESPN 2 or ESPNU and also up against other big games. It's not like every single game that comes on in the afternoon or evening is considered to be a bigger game than games coming on at noon. Being the national game on ABC at noon is bigger than being on a regional broadcast, or on a crappier network later in the day.

Kudos to BigCUFan....During my time at CU, we would have

Sep 18, 2018, 3:11 PM

raised a stink if the games weren't at one o'clock.

Why? Because our big dances were scheduled on Friday and/or Saturday evenings, and football wasn't going to interfere with that kind of "date" time! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kudos to BigCUFan....During my time at CU, we would have

Sep 18, 2018, 3:24 PM

You are showing your age if you remember dance weekends.

Heck, the gal I was dating would never have left

Sep 18, 2018, 3:29 PM

Winthrop to come to Clemson if it weren't for the dances.

That was "drankin'" time during the weekends! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic