Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When did you know Dabo Swinney was the man to lead Clemson football?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

When did you know Dabo Swinney was the man to lead Clemson football?

Jun 28, 2020, 11:42 PM

“I am not disappointed in these men today. I’m proud. These guys are not losers. What they did in the past three and a half days was great. They played with passion and fight today, and this is just the start of a unified Clemson team.”

“I wish we could have come out on top today, but they had fewer penalties and fumbles compared to us. But I can not be mad at what these boys did today. They have grown as young men, and they are learning to have passion for the paw on their helmets.”

“Cullen played with a lot of heart today. He has a fractured shoulder, and came out and made some great plays.”

“We made adjustments from the first half. We executed better in the second half. This is just the start of a seven-week plan to lay the foundation and rebuild this program that allows the guys to have passion for the game and the team they play for.”

This will sound like 20/20 hindsight..
But I knew he was what Clemson needed after his first interim game ... a loss...

The quotes above are from the post game that day, but don’t do justice to the passion and commitment Coach Swinney showed when he expressed those sentiments...

I remember calling my father after watching the remarks..

I told him - “We just lost and Dabo already has me fired up ...
He’s the real deal and if he’s given time he will make Clemson a winner again”

I saw more enthusiasm from Dabo after a loss than I ever saw from Tommy Bowden (win or lose)
What a breath of fresh air it was...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When did you know Dabo Swinney was the man to lead Clemson football?

Jun 29, 2020, 12:10 AM

His first press conference.

Jun 29, 2020, 8:10 AM

yep, It was obvious that he was a leader. Even though he seemed a little too optimistic, it was clear he wasn't going to make excuses like Bowden was doing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: When did you know Dabo Swinney was the man to lead Clemson football? ]

I agree. His next few interviews cemented it but I was a fan from the git-go.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m still not sold on him. I think in the next few years if

Jun 29, 2020, 12:18 AM

Ha ha haaaaaa! I keed.

I’m not the “Fire the coach” type, and I don’t know when I knew we had the right guy, but I am confident it was sometime after the South Florida bowl loss. That season was just so frustrating.

null

Tweet that

Jun 29, 2020, 1:26 AM

Earlier in season run against Auburn, VaTech, FSU set stage

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 2:12 AM

His very first interim game was a small indicator. I can’t remember the name but he made the punter go back on the field and run to the sideline, instead of walking. Even though GT won that day, you could definitely see the difference between Dabo and Bowden.

Jun 29, 2020, 4:11 PM

Replay Man, I agree with you on that first game when he made him go back out and run off the field. Sitting in the stands and I told my son that this was the right coach for this team. Glad to have been a part of his 1st game after driving 14 hours to get to Clemson. Don't think I will forget that moment.

My Mom told me. ??

Jun 29, 2020, 4:37 AM

Seriously. When Coach was picked after his interim year, I did not have cable, internet at home, or a smart phone. Living in TN, news of a lowly ACC team was scarce. I asked my Mom what she thought and she was 100% behind the choice. She praised him and had a lot to say about his interview.

Now that I am less technology resistant, I have managed to watch that interview at least 5 times. I still get goose bumps.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 7:25 AM

I think beating of Auburn and Fsu back to back weeks. Plus I met him when he was doing the coaching show between those games. When you see him with people and how he deals with them in person you know he is a special individual

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 8:03 AM

I really saw how committed to excellence he was when he fired the husband of his wife's best friend, and when he immediately fired DC Kevin Steele after the embarrassing performance in our game against WV. Those 2 moves showed that he was the man for the job, and he was not going to let anything stand in his way of achieving excellence. Incidentally, I would love to see us play a game where Dana Holgerson (I believe he was the WV coach) is the opposing coach. I do hope there is a reckoning to be witnessed on that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 8:14 AM

I am going to say a lot, lot later.

I thought he was the right choice post Bowden, still fine after for the first three years. But to lead Clemson football.... it happened in that important 4th year. 2011.

@ Maryland, down 28-10/35-17.

After a few HUGE wins (Aubie, FSU, VaTech) this was the perfect "Bowden" moment to collapse. Maryland came in ready, we did not.

To keep the kids minds in the game in the 3rd. THAT was his best coaching moment.

That wasn't just a good talk, speech, horray, that was a culture change happening in real time.

Jun 29, 2020, 8:31 AM

Nov 1st 2008

clemson 27
BC 21

Jun 29, 2020, 8:56 AM

The day it went public and Clemson said “Dabo Swinney named new HC”

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 9:52 AM

When I first saw them play competitively against good competition. He was never satisfied and always said they would get better. He has not lied to us or let us down. I'm very proud of the total program he has created at Clemson.
You da man Dabo!!!
Go Tigers!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jun 29, 2020, 10:13 AM

Before he ever became interim coach. My nephew participated in the Tommy Bowden camp for a number of years and my brother always talked about how Bowden seemed distant from everything that was happening and only made a few token appearances. But he also gushed over this position coach, Swinney, that he said was like a magnet on the field. He wasn't sure what position he coached or how to pronounce his first name, but he said campers, parents, players, and coaches all wanted to be around him. His statement to me after the last time my nephew participated was, "I don't know if that guy will end up coaching Clemson, but he'll end up as a head coach somewhere and he's gonna be a good one!"

When he took over our recruiting camps under Bowden.

Jun 29, 2020, 12:36 PM

This is what got TDP’s attention to.

Jun 29, 2020, 6:02 PM

After the first ACC Championship game in Tampa against GT. Although it was a loss, things were improving and he made no excuses. I remember defending him multiple times because you could just see the change in progress.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2020, 6:47 PM

I was slow to come around... it wasn't until Deshaun Watson committed Feb 2012 when I thought, "if this guy can still successfully recruit a once in a lifetime level QB even after losing to West Virginia, then this coach might be onto something."

When he switched to solid colored gameday shirts after his

Jun 29, 2020, 7:29 PM

debut vs Ga. Tech (where he sported a Hatfield-esque striper - alarm bells). From the next game on, it was solid - orange, white, or trademark grey sweats. I knew he was our guy. Second game was @ BC - first career win. Great game. D-Mac almost killed that poor BC wide receiver on that 4th quarter stop - was in the hospital for a week treating his broken leg and had to induce coma. The fire and belief in our team that night was something I hadn't seen since the Ford days - willing ourselves to victory in a hostile environment. Out-physicaling a team down the stretch that had out-physicaled us for years in similar moments. Yeah. From there. For sure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not gonna do like some and revise my historical thinking

Jun 29, 2020, 8:29 PM

along those lines. I was "wait and see" until the Auburn game in 2011. Before then, we were "close, but no cigar" a lot of the time. In 2009, we had seemed to be on the upswing, but then, 2010 was another disappointment. But, even so, it was easy to tell that Dabo would make changes when necessary, and that, unlike Bowden, he seemed to have a vision, a plan, if you will. Blowing out the defending National Champs finally proved to me that he had what it took to lead us to better things. And boy, did he.

I have already said many times, I think Terry Don Phillips showed more guts and foresight in keeping Dabo after the disappointing 2010 season than he did originally hiring him. People can claim all they want now, but it seemed pretty clear to me that 2011 was the make or break year for Dabo keeping his job. Another losing season, and Dabo and Terry Don would both have been shown the door together.

Just as I believe the 1980 South Carolina game is what saved Danny Ford's job, I firmly believe Dabo would never have gotten a permanent shot if he had not coached that interim win against the Coots.

So, the two Clemson Golden Ages both turned on a positive decision against the Coots. They are good for something, after all.

I realize this was a long answer, but the question was not that easy to answer for me.

Re: I'm not gonna do like some and revise my historical thinking

Jun 29, 2020, 8:42 PM

When he said he was, "all in."

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic