Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When did UGA start claiming 2 National Titles?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

When did UGA start claiming 2 National Titles?

Dec 12, 2018, 10:46 AM

They claim 1942 and 1980. Clearly, this is bogus.

I have paid attention to UGA since around the mid-2000's, and have paid much closer attention to them since 2011 when it became apparent our rivalry may be winding up again.

I do not recall ever hearing the mutts start claiming the 1942 title until the last year or so, since we won our 2nd one officially. I remember reading their wiki page and other UGA related pages around 2013 and 2014, and their wiki and other official pages only claimed 1980 as their only national title.

Fast forward to 2016-2017 after we win our 2nd, and now UGA is claiming they won a consensus national title in 1942, and are claiming an additional 3 "unclaimed" titles (1927, 1946, 1968).

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

Shows that UGA only won 1 title in 1980.

1927 was Illinois and Yale.
1942 was Ohio State (consensus)
1946 was Notre Dame (consensus)
1968 was Ohio State (consensus)

My guess is they realize Clemson is the better program and is pulling away very very quickly. The gap is increasing and Dabo is doing serious damage to UGA in-state recruiting, so they need to pull out all the stops to keep their in-state recruits.

Where is SuperMutt? Would love his input.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About the same time u5c faked a Southern Conference title.

Dec 12, 2018, 10:50 AM

They all had inspiration from the Alabama fantasy football titles.

Re: About the same time u5c faked a Southern Conference title.

Dec 12, 2018, 10:51 AM

Apparently, Auburn tried to claim 6 a few years ago, and they were mocked so brutally that they stopped doing that.

Since Bama has several self-proclaimed titles....

Dec 12, 2018, 10:51 AM

maybe UGa thought that is would be OK if they added one as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Seems like the SEC thing to do...If everybody lies, nobody

Dec 12, 2018, 12:46 PM

lies

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They sure deserved it more than Ohio St that year***

Dec 12, 2018, 10:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They sure deserved it more than Ohio St that year***

Dec 12, 2018, 11:00 AM

Yeah and we deserved it more than Michigan in 48.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 11:04 AM [ in reply to They sure deserved it more than Ohio St that year*** ]

Georgia was originally the purgatory that the British Colonists banished their criminals to. They haven’t overcome that humble beginning yet. It is hoped that one day honesty will become “a thing” in Georgia. As of now, the world is still waiting.

Message removed by Author

Dec 12, 2018, 11:12 AM

Message removed by Author

Dec 12, 2018, 12:22 PM

That's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if that's why their band is called the "Redcoats?"

UGA was chartered in 1785 by the state of Georgia

Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

roughly 1.5 years after the end of the Revolutionary War.

The Bulldogs nickname was first used no earlier than 1894, and has nothing to do with the British.

"In 1894, Georgia's mascot was a solid white female bull terrier owned by a student, Charles H. Black, Sr., of Atlanta. Trilby, named after a novel by George Du Maurier, served as the campus pet and mascot for the Chi Phi fraternity.

Disputing stories speculate the origin of the Bulldog nickname, and the story of Trilby provides yet another opinion: "...every day Trilby took herself down to old Herty field with her master for football practice. She ran signals with the best of them and became an accustomed figure on the athletic field...One morning, Trilby failed to appear for her breakfast and after a frantic search she was finally discovered proudly washing the faces of her newborn family, 13 white puppies...Late one dusky fall afternoon, Trilby appeared for a grid workout and scampering after her came her 13 children, darting through players' legs, barking and pace. 'Well,' suggested one of the players, 'Trilby has brought us a name, Bulldogs.'...Every time a game was played on Herty Field, the boys would floss Trilby and her 13 offerings up with red and black ribbons, and so attired they have gone down in history as perhaps the first 'sponsors' in southern football." -Ruth Stanton Cogill (Atlanta newspaper) "After the reign of Trilby and her family, chaos developed in the mascot department at the university. Many games had several, depending on which alumnus got his dog to the game first." -AJC, Nov. 18, 1962

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UGA was chartered in 1785 by the state of Georgia

Dec 12, 2018, 2:45 PM

I rescind my last statement, apparently thats a load of BS lol

I was under the impression that UGA was founded shortly before the Revolutionary War.

A guy I work with, who is a UGA grad, was the one that told me the apparently BS story about the whole "British founded UGA". But...does that surprise you?

Probably the same time Alabama started claiming all their

Dec 12, 2018, 11:02 AM

ancient titles.

no room for boasting left I guess...

Dec 12, 2018, 11:02 AM

greatest football program in all football history, with 18 titles is...

Yale

They are doing like their daddy bama does...go back in time

Dec 12, 2018, 11:13 AM

to find that the Hooterville Gazette (or some other generic poll) voted them champs for that year, then claim the title. There were so many random polls back then.

It’s all BS. If we wanted to we could lay claim to 1900 and 1948 since we went undefeated, like UCF last year.

AFAIC, if you didn’t win the AP poll (post 1934) then you shouldn’t claim the championship.

Re: They are doing like their daddy bama does...go back in time

Dec 12, 2018, 12:34 PM

Coaches poll is more credible than A.P.

we should claim one for 1948***

Dec 12, 2018, 11:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1900 too***

Dec 12, 2018, 11:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: When did UGA start claiming 2 National Titles?

Dec 12, 2018, 11:20 AM

The Army sent me to school in Athens in 1942. They had a good team. Frankie (Flatfoot) Sinkwich (Sp.?) was their RB. I saw one game but don't recall them being No. 1. They were definitely good. Sinkwich had flatfeet and was rejected for Army service. Most of us thought that was a ruse because we had flatfooted GIs in our unit.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 11:37 AM

Why do you think the Army used a ruse to reject him?

Also, thanks for the story. I'm glad you posted that. Really cool you got to see them play back then. Always love to read your stories Joe! Thank you for your service as well.

Dec 12, 2018, 11:49 AM

UGA actually has 3 NC titles: 1942, 1980 and 2018 for a great loss to Alabama where they were winning for most of the game (20 point loss to LSU doesn't count bc SEC)

Apparently this started in August 2017. Their media guide 7 months after

Dec 12, 2018, 12:01 PM

we won our second. For real.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/georgiadogs.com/documents/2017/8/16/17fb_history_championships.pdf

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Apparently this started in August 2017. Their media guide 7 months after

Dec 12, 2018, 2:46 PM

I KNEW IT

Dec 12, 2018, 12:45 PM

Since u5c joined the SEC, they claim 14 outright or shared titles. When will they start hanging banners in the cockroach?

Two titles

Dec 12, 2018, 2:03 PM

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/index.php/data/active/g/georgia/championships.php

2, 3, 1! imo

Dec 12, 2018, 2:41 PM

somebody had to do it!

I'm pretty sure UGA ran the same offense for both of those

Dec 12, 2018, 3:12 PM

claimed titles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I'm pretty sure UGA ran the same offense for both of those

Dec 12, 2018, 4:08 PM

Not much different than recent UGA offenses as well.

Anytime you hear about a "good UGA team" it always starts with something about a runningback.

& ends with... "prior to the modern era of college football"***

Dec 12, 2018, 4:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

the 1942 title isn't legit... Ohio St was #1 in the final AP Poll,

Dec 12, 2018, 3:28 PM

and the UPI/Coaches Poll didn't start until after WW 2. These "newly discovered nat'l titles" are all just people plugging data into a computer program and seeing who comes out on top. And the results, as always, depends solely on how's it's programmed... what algorithms are used, how the data is weighted, etc. It's all crap.

And all college sports results during the war years (1941-45) is weird anyway. A lot of teams were completely gutted because their players were all in the military. You look at schedules during the war years and you'll see teams like "Iowa Pre-Flight" and whatever... it was hard to find enough teams to fill out a schedule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

i bet Superdawg is really having to show some restraint not

Dec 12, 2018, 3:33 PM

posting in some of these UGAY threads. I wonder if LSU is still living rent free in his head?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i bet Superdawg is really having to show some restraint not

Dec 13, 2018, 9:56 AM

Hey superdawg51, where ya at buddy?

The last time I went to a game between the bushes, 1999,

Dec 12, 2018, 3:49 PM

(a UGA vs Auburn or Tenn game) there was only one flag declaring 1980 National Champs flying in that stadium. I think when Auburn and Alabama started assigning themselves add'l championships in the late 2000's, UGA naturally gave themselves one.

But yeah, for years, UGA fans have acknowledged only one championship (1980).

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic