Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When CFP began in 2014, I was strongly in favor of 8 teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

When CFP began in 2014, I was strongly in favor of 8 teams

Oct 22, 2017, 4:10 PM

Then, all the talk was about the SEC possibly getting two teams in, even at the expense of undefeated & defending champ FSU being left out. As you recall, they were winning ugly that year! Now, after seeing the CFP play out for three years, I am not so much in favor of expanding it.

A big reason to keep it at four is, who wants to see rematches, especially of a conference championship game! Three of the conferences would have two teams each, unless a spot is reserved for the best group of 5 team. Still, there are two conferences with two teams each, or worse yet, possibly three teams from a conference! Who wants to have to beat a team again, that you have just beaten three weeks before.

As long as the committee keeps taking the best four of the five conference representatives(notice I didn't say champs), I think we will have the most compelling playoff. And the debate over which teams get in keeps things interesting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When CFP began in 2014, I was strongly in favor of 8 teams

Oct 22, 2017, 4:17 PM

If I made any changes it would be 6 teams. The 5 conference champions and one at large. 1&2 would get a bye. I’d never go to 8.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. If can't do 8 then six would be good compromise.

Oct 22, 2017, 4:21 PM

1 & 2 would get a bye week.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. If can't do 8 then six would be good compromise.

Oct 22, 2017, 4:28 PM

I think 8 would put in too many pretty bad teams. Possibly 2 loss teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"pretty bad"

Oct 22, 2017, 5:56 PM

is a harsh way to describe a top 8 team

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are considering 2-loss teams, bad teams now??

Oct 22, 2017, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree. If can't do 8 then six would be good compromise. ]

I think we will eventually have a two-loss team in the four team playoff. Some think Penn St should have been in last year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When CFP began in 2014, I was strongly in favor of 8 teams

Oct 22, 2017, 4:45 PM

A committee choosing the best four is no better then the Heisman committee choosing - no more human bias should be allowed and the rankings are just as bad.

8 team playoff.
5 conference champions from the power 5 conferences. Win your conference or dont get in!
3 slots reserved for the top 3 UNDEFEATED non power fives, ranked by end of season SOS calculation.

If no undefeated non power 5 teams then the 3 slots should go to the best record and SOS calculation teams from again the power 5.

Who really does not want one more game a season??? All I see when there is no football is "cant wait till football".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The committee should take the conference champs.

Oct 22, 2017, 5:33 PM

They have their hands full figuring out which conference gets left out. They sucked when the put OSU in the playoff last season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah. It needs to grow.

Oct 22, 2017, 6:56 PM

And it will.

Just really weird how college football lags behind, well, every other competitive sport in the known universe.

not just every sport, but almost every variant of American football

Oct 22, 2017, 7:07 PM

Including CFL, but at least arena football recognizes that a 4 team playoff “just works”.

My guess is the exhibition season sponsors (aka bowl season) are worried they’ll lose out on 3 hours of advertising, so they’re holding up the process to expand the playoff.

Re: not just every sport, but almost every variant of American football

Oct 22, 2017, 7:30 PM

16 team playoff. Do away with conference championships and play first round, make Power 5 divisions equal, take 10 division champs plus next 6 highest CFP ranked teams. CFP seeds teams, can move lower ranked opponent 1 or 2 seeds to avoid same conf or rematches. If 16 is too many, go with 12 and top 4 get first round bye.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College football is the only sport where the regular season

Oct 22, 2017, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Nah. It needs to grow. ]

matters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: College football is the only sport where the regular season

Oct 22, 2017, 8:22 PM

So what sport can you lose all your regular season games and still be in the playoffs??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well smart ###, none. But look at other post season

Oct 23, 2017, 8:56 AM

football tournaments where 5 loss teams make it. Where's the value in the regular season there?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Well smart ###, none. But look at other post season

Oct 23, 2017, 10:46 AM

My posting on this matter is for an 8 team playoff. I am pretty sure we will always have 8 teams where their success will be high enough to not enter teams with more then even 2 losses.

Message was edited by: iamk2®

Excellent post

Oct 23, 2017, 9:24 PM

5-loss teams will never make an 8-team playoff, or even 16 team playoff, which may make sense based on historical results of the well-established 1-AA playoffs.

The other guy should apologize, but don't hold your breath.

Re: Excellent post

Oct 23, 2017, 11:23 PM

If you guarantee conference champions they could. It wasn't that long ago that 6-6 Gtech was in the ACC championship game. They win that 1 game and they deserve to be in?

Right, like when Bama lost to LSU in 2011, in Nov at home.

Oct 23, 2017, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: College football is the only sport where the regular season ]

That knocked them out of the title game. Oh, wait...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An undefeated conference champ won't get left out

Oct 23, 2017, 9:08 AM

but that FSU team really wasn't that good. Some of the advanced metrics had them rated in the mid-teens. And that showed when they got blown off the field by Oregon. S&P+ had FSU's expected him win total at 9.5 (vs the 13 games they actually won). They got extremely lucky that year.

metrics, schmetrics. 2014 FSU was a very talented team

Oct 23, 2017, 12:10 PM

that would go through the motions until the game was on the line. And they had some luck, too, (esp against us)

But, regardless of the metrics and bullshyte, you would leave out an undefeated conf champ because their wins weren't impressive enough? If I recall, their SOS was pretty good, too.

Does winning matter?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's at 10 Teams Now.

Oct 23, 2017, 11:10 AM

There are 5 conference championship games and after the 31-0 OSU beatdown last year - they won't jump a conference champion again!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

8 is the best number for most years

Oct 23, 2017, 12:04 PM

It is enough with auto champ tie ins to overcome committee bias. It gives G5 teams a chance. (who wants to play UCF? anyone? anyone? Bueller?)

It would have allowed Penn St a shot last yr. It would have allowed TCU and/or Baylor a shot in 2014.

It would be tough having to win 3 games instead of two, but that's also why I would prefer they return to the 11 game schedule. (good luck with that)

I would warm back up to 8 if were at the expense of the

Oct 23, 2017, 10:24 PM

conference championship games. It would allow everyone to get rid of divisions and play other conference foes more often for one thing, which would probably enhance the regular season some. And if they held it the same weekend in early December, the losing teams could be cast into the bowl season along with the rest.

We have 10 teams vying for championships that day now already. Less is more.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would the rounds work at 6 / 8 teams

Oct 23, 2017, 10:28 PM

Would that add one more game to the four finalist and how do you schedule the bowl destinations? the cost to fans would be breathtaking paying for three post season trips / games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How would the rounds work at 6 / 8 teams

Oct 23, 2017, 11:48 PM

Almost all proposals for an expanded playoff call for all games other than semifinals and finals to be played at the home stadium of the higher seeded team

The Goal should be to get the 2 best teams

Oct 24, 2017, 8:52 AM

The Committee's stated Goal is to get the 4 best teams but it should really be to get the 2 best teams with 2 others in case their judgement is wrong.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic