Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What the heck version of Tiger rag was used in 1979?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

What the heck version of Tiger rag was used in 1979?

May 19, 2019, 1:31 PM

Video produce by Tim Bourett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2gWrZlq_0&list=PLIVthrrhoySdNB4RLm4IwFLVu1Z5QWdMg&index=54&t=0s

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: What the heck version of Tiger rag was used in 1979?

May 19, 2019, 1:36 PM

They did not even have internet in 1979, I am surprised people knew how to do anything back then.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2019, 3:11 PM

I've noticed people were blurrier back then than today even though my eyes are worse now

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this Hyatt's uncle? Kinda looks like him

May 19, 2019, 1:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also I'm glad they got rid of that Wendy's sign***

May 19, 2019, 1:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You chauvinist!***

May 19, 2019, 1:44 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

Re: Is this Hyatt's uncle? Kinda looks like him

May 19, 2019, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Is this Hyatt's uncle? Kinda looks like him ]

Mitch's uncle is Dan Benish, DT #71 on '81 team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be Rex Varn. A very hard hitting DB!

May 19, 2019, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Is this Hyatt's uncle? Kinda looks like him ]

Remember him well!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks***

May 21, 2019, 1:24 AM

May 19, 2019, 2:15 PM

it's over 100 years old, there have been many flavors.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

May 19, 2019, 3:01 PM

I went to my first game in 1979, and if I recall correctly, it was the same version that we currently use.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 19, 2019, 3:11 PM

At least there was no woohoo!! SMH

May 19, 2019, 3:26 PM

Thanks. Always good to hear Jim Phillips call the action. Marvin Sims or Kevin Mack, both run between the tackles as good as anyone. Boy, Jim Stuckey was a monster!

You mean this version?

May 19, 2019, 3:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTHNr-vguGU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't that version used to start some radio

May 20, 2019, 7:04 AM

program way back when? This sounds very familiar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was the pregame...

May 21, 2019, 1:44 AM

...radio show intro and break music. Russ Castle and Jane Robelot hosted it back then. Would come on at 10 am and run to 12:30 when Jim Phillips would interview Danny Ford and begin the talk atmosphere for the game to kickoff at 1 pm.

That's a variation played by the student orchestra..........

May 19, 2019, 3:39 PM

(like inside the Brooks Center). The version played at games by Tiger Band at football games now sounds/is just the same as I remember it sounding in the mid-60s.

May 19, 2019, 3:46 PM

I don't remember all the details, but the Clemson version of Tiger Rag came to Clemson many many years ago when a member of Tiger Band hitchhiked to Atlanta, found it in a music store, and hitchhiked back to Clemson. I think it was not too many years after the end of WW2. The alum credited with bringing Tiger Rag to Clemson was recognized at a game like 30 years ago and he was an old man.

Yeah, but that was a pretty different version..

May 19, 2019, 3:55 PM

maybe it is just an orchestral version of which I was not aware. I started going to Clemson games in 1976 (and I was there in 1979) but did not really start paying attention to such things as the music till after we won the Championship in 81.

That was just an alternate version. Rarely played.***

May 20, 2019, 1:04 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thus began the tradition of taking the best out of

May 19, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: What the heck version of Tiger rag was used in 1979? ]

Georgia and bringing it to Clemson.

May 19, 2019, 4:03 PM

I was in Tiger Band from 91-97, but my dad has been the press box videographer since 1974, so I grew up hanging around Tiger Band. The version in the OP’s video, we called it “New Rag” and played it every so often, even in the early 90s. But the most often played version (the “regular” version) has always been the same arrangement of Tiger Rag played today. Such has been the case since before I was born in 1973.

Yes. I remember that jazzier version of "New Rag" played

May 19, 2019, 5:47 PM

usually just one time per game around the end of the 3rd quarter I believe from 70's to early 90's.

May 19, 2019, 4:36 PM

I was Tiger Rag chairman for 79/80. This was our version at the time. The present Tiger Paw logo had not yet been adopted for use. Still have a couple of these left and always have one in my hip pocket during games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn version

May 19, 2019, 4:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0QB4HC8ngQ

Re: Auburn version

May 20, 2019, 7:21 AM

The version of Tiger Rag played in the first post was NEVER played at a game.

Obviously, that was simply put into that video.

Attended games as far back as 1956, and the only real changes have been the spelling of Clemson and the unfortunate "woo who".

We called it D-rag

May 20, 2019, 10:09 AM

It was a dixieland version of Tiger Rag. We played it as an
alternate to TR in the late 60's - early 70's.

tigercee

I was in the band in the late 80's and I remember being told

May 20, 2019, 12:04 PM

to "ignore the sheet music, just play it like this" by the upper classmen. It was kind of a frankenstein, with lost of stuff added in. The trombones has some stuff added in that wasn't written down anywhere, the trumpets stole a little piece of the Georgia fight song and added it in, tubas did whatever they did, and lord knows what the percussionists did. I'm not sure i could have even played it if I followed the sheet music. You just memorized it and went along with your section.

The band didn't play the version in this video...

May 21, 2019, 1:36 AM

...they pretty much played it the same as now. The pregame show with Russ Castle had a funky disco version that they used throughout the early 80's.

Tim Bourett had just come to Clemson from Notre Dame in 79 and probably scratched up this version from who knows where to get the video done.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic