Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What makes everyone think this year is different?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 148
| visibility 1

Nov 19, 2013, 9:41 AM

I am just curious on why Clemson fans feel so confident going into the game this year as opposed to the last 4? Boyd has played his worst games against Carolina. You have yet to play a hostile crowd on the road against a good team. Its not like Boyd has been a game changer against Carolina and especially being on the road it is an uphill battle for Clemson. But why does Boyd seem to have his worst games against Carolina?

12 USC C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
T. Boyd 11/24 183 7.6 1 2 29.6

11 USC C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
T. Boyd 11/29 83 2.9 1 1 12.4

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What makes everyone think this year is different?

Nov 19, 2013, 9:43 AM

First of all, there's only one "Carolina", and it's in Chapel Hill. Thought Dabo taught you that already.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care what DS said - I grew up in South Carolina.....

Nov 19, 2013, 11:14 AM

and "Carolina" to me only means one thing - the hated Gamecocks.

Nov 19, 2013, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

You mean is his tantrum... after a loss... bragging about CU's history that he has done nothing to contribute to. One question though, if Carolina is in Chapel Hill, and USC is in California, then who keeps beating Clemson?

Sounded to me like he was trying to get under coot's skin

Nov 19, 2013, 12:18 PM

Seems to have worked quite well.

Nov 19, 2013, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

Answer, its not the the team that Clemson has beat 7 different times four games straight. And its not the team that Clemson has beat 7 straight years in a row. And its not the team that Clemson has beat 4 straight twice in one decade from 1996 to 2005. We have absolutely OWNED that team, so it sure as H&LL ain't them. And thats the facts Jack coot....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2013, 4:02 PM

> Answer, its not the the team that Clemson has beat 7
> different times four games straight. And its not the
> team that Clemson has beat 7 straight years in a row.
> And its not the team that Clemson has beat 4 straight
> twice in one decade from 1996 to 2005. We have
> absolutely OWNED that team, so it sure as H&LL ain't
> them. And thats the facts Jack coot....

60% Winning Percentage is not owning. Its a majority, do you hear GT fans talking about this year didn't matter we still own you with our 65% winning percentage against you?

Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 PM

It's actually at 59% if you incorporate the ties....

It is in this perspective. To make that even you need to win

Nov 20, 2013, 1:12 AM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

the next 20 straight. That's 20 years, 1/5 of a century, 2 decades.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2013, 1:32 AM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

63-17 is owning. Winning 4 in a row twice in the last 15 years is still owning. I mean cheese and rice....did any coot fan that isn't still walking around with an umbilical cord really think they would go they're whole lifetime without this finally happening? Great they finally beat Clemson 4 in a row....it took how long for this to happen. I'm not even 30 yet and seen this twice from Clemson....glad I didn't have to wait 50-60 years to see it from my team. Not to mention, having to go out and buy 2 big name coaches to try to get this done.

Nov 19, 2013, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

Quoting a t-shirt...nice. to answer your question though, that would be USuCks.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2013, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

Big lesson he taught us. Gee we're so hurt we haven't beaten uNCarolina or Clemson since. Oh wait.

Nov 19, 2013, 9:43 AM

Because this is this year !!!!

Nov 19, 2013, 9:44 AM

Our DL is much better. And we're more confident and ready to step up. and they arent anything close to invincible. a crappy fla team hung in with them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not so sure.........

Nov 19, 2013, 10:50 AM

if you watched the Fla. game, Spurrier, as usual, created a number of one on one matchups where the receivers badly beat the defenders. Unfortunately for the Coots the QB kept overthrowing them. That game could have been much, much worse. And,the Fla. defense is more physical, better tacklers and better defenders than we are. I think that we have a great DL line, but I don't have that much confidence in our dbs especially when Spurrier is scheming against them. Our Oline will have to play the game of their lives. Can we win.....of course. But right now, from what I see and our most recent history, we've got to prove it. We are not and shouldn't be favored in this game, IMHO.

Every year its a new team with graduation and all. Tiger D

Nov 19, 2013, 9:44 AM

is much improved and I think it--not Boyd will be the key to the game.

Also, I think Boyd wants to be remembered as one of the greatest QB's in Tiger history--but that really can't happen without a win over the rival. I think the O gets enough help from the D to get the job done.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You confused him with the term "graduation"***

Nov 19, 2013, 9:51 AM

Nov 19, 2013, 9:45 AM

Much improved defense this year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2013, 9:45 AM

It's called the eye test.

People who really know the game and take things in context realize that SCAR's team isn't nearly as talented this year as it has been the past 2.

Now, Boyd very well could have his third consecutive bad game. But Tiger fans can't control that.

All we know is that this SCAR defense is a joke compared to the one from the past 2 years. And - given that the strength of our team lies in our front 7 - we're not scared of your running game, despite some garbage time stats we may have given up to teams like Syracuse.

There will come a time in this rivalry when horshoe-like symptoms of 3rd and 20+ conversions won't materialize. That time is about 10 days from now.

Nov 19, 2013, 9:53 AM

Now i will say our defense has taken a step back this year. I will say we are much improved since the beginning of the year but if you look at the NCAA stats we are still top 25 in scoring defense and 11th in total defense. Now if you want to say we struggled against Florida go ahead, but they had the top defense in the conference going into the game. We also struggled last year with Wofford going into the game last year and i might recall started our backup QB. But there is a reason Connor Shaw is undefeated at home.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:11 AM

You can answer you own question by looking at your home schedule this year. Well maybe you can, if you are one of the smarter coots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ncaa.org has y'all listed as #22 total d @ 349.4 ypg.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

meanwhile we counter with #9 total o @ 511.9 ypg. red zone d is the biggest difference- we are #36, while y'all are sitting back @ # 64.
if you want to reverse the numbers we have the 38 total d @ 372.5 and your o is # 41 @ 448.5.
if you want to go by stats- we pretty much take y'all in every category when compared by differentials offense we are +32 while defensively, we are -16 that puts us ahead +16. go ahead, you told us to look it up, well i took you up on it. oh, and that hostile crowd, ugly stadium remark ( or something about homefield) we own y'all in columbia, if you look at the overall series. oh, and it wasn't just florida, it is tennesse and ugay, and ucf and... see ya in a couple weeks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ncaa.org has y'all listed as #22 total d @ 349.4 ypg.

Nov 19, 2013, 2:18 PM

Job well done but, I'm sure he stop trying to understand at, we pretty much take y'all in every category. :)

Nov 19, 2013, 9:55 PM [ in reply to ncaa.org has y'all listed as #22 total d @ 349.4 ypg. ]

South Carolina did not start playing in Williams Brice until 1964. I don't know what the record is or who has won more games in that stadium, but I sure know it will make no difference in who wins this game.

who said just at the roach ? i STATED columbia !

Nov 20, 2013, 4:33 AM

did i not ?

Nov 19, 2013, 9:57 PM [ in reply to ncaa.org has y'all listed as #22 total d @ 349.4 ypg. ]

South Carolina did not start playing in Williams Brice until 1964. I don't know what the record is or who has won more games in that stadium, but I sure know it will make no difference in who wins this game.

Serious question for you motorcitycootstripe:

Nov 19, 2013, 10:00 PM

What is your age? I'm betting you've seen the #### program lose to Clemson about 75% of your entire life. Is that what made you insane, or were you born that way?

Nov 19, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

You play "powerhouse" offenses like Vanderbilt, Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee that average 15 points per game every week. No #### you have good stats.

Nov 19, 2013, 11:01 AM

> You play "powerhouse" offenses like Vanderbilt,
> Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee that average 15
> points per game every week. No #### you have good
> stats.

Seriously you play

Boston College - just became bowl eligible (6-4)
Maryland - just became bowl eligible (6-4)
GT - bowl eligible
UGA - good solid team

Syracuse - not bowl eligible and on the cuff at 5-5
Wake - not going to a bowl
NC State - not going to a bowl
Virginia - not going to a bowl

He didn't mention their win/loss or bowl status. He

Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 AM

mentioned what their offences do...

No wonder you're an idiot, you cannot grasp a simple concept such as that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Nov 19, 2013, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

###, you just proved your point. SEC least isn't any stronger than acc. Except Clemson did destroy Virginia, Cuse, Mary, Wake, GT, and beat everyone by double figures except, FSU that will play and most likely win the NC. I see that y'all destr:)yed the Tar Holes, Vandy, Kentucky, Ark, Mizzoo, Fla., and Missy St. so, I guess 2 high scoring power house teams from the ACC and the sec will meet up on Nov. 30 at the Roach in the Dumplumbia district. Goooooo Tigerssssss!!!!!

Lmao over here

Nov 20, 2013, 1:21 AM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

BC - 6-4
Mary - 6-4
UGA - good solid team - 6-4 lol, but one of their 6 is against you and one of the 4 is against us.

They had the top defense in the conference

Nov 19, 2013, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

but had lost something like 4 starters from that defense

Nov 19, 2013, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: What makes everyone think this year is different? ]

Well sir the eye test is not passing in Vegas where we are underdogs.

I personally think this is our best shot in the last 3 showings, but we are far from being a 'sure bet'.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense!

Nov 19, 2013, 9:48 AM

Ours is much better and much healthier than last year. Theirs is not as good as the last two years. Our defense will give us more at bats and take some pressure off our offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing ..............

Nov 19, 2013, 10:04 AM

For the last couple of years we have played NCSU the week prior to the game with the yardbirds. Although NCSU is not a powerhouse team, they are a team that gives us trouble every year and requires our fullest attention. That is not the case this season as we will prepare for the Citadel instead of an important conference game. The birds on the other hand have had an easy game prior to the Clemson game each year. You perhaps feel that this will make no difference in the outcome of the game. We, on the otherhand feel like it will make a tremendous difference. Time will tell! Combine that with the fact that the pullets suck big time and that equates to a major a$$ kicking by the TIGERS.

If we can't get you guys, and by you guys, I mean you

Nov 19, 2013, 9:50 AM

Helmet, the Coot fan, off the field and you guys establish Davis or Shaw is getting those frustrating as Hades third down scrambles for first downs, I don't believe there will be anything different about this year than the last 4.

We're not Tennessee***

Nov 19, 2013, 9:50 AM

Because of quickness on our D, simple as that.

Nov 19, 2013, 9:53 AM

Also, Boyd got very few opportunities in the 2nd half last year and Clowney outquicked our OL the few possessions we had it in the 2nd half.

Expect Boyd to have more opportunities thi year.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year

Nov 19, 2013, 9:56 AM

Stronger, faster, more athletic and just plain better. $CU certainly can't say the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year

Nov 19, 2013, 10:01 AM

> Stronger, faster, more athletic and just plain
> better. $CU certainly can't say the same.
>
>

So you are basing that off of what? Your top 25 wins? The eye test? the stats?

Early indicators are saying that vegas has the line with Carolina favored by 5.

Helmet, not trying to defend you, but you'll find if you

Nov 19, 2024, 11:17 AM

hang out here, and as this game grows closer, the confidence and bravado will grow louder and louder that you guys aren't any problem and we will win. Now, keep in mind, a lot of these same people were telling other Tiger fans to be wary of the likes of Wake, Virginia, GT, and Maryland like they were world beaters and people like me were stupid for yawning at the prospect of losing to those teams, but Carolina, the team that has beat us 4 years in a row? Oh, no worries. We got this. It makes no sense.

You make no sense. Expecting a big win over GT -- who could

Nov 19, 2013, 10:09 AM

beat Tenn and many of the other teams USuC beat and yet expecting the Tigers to just give into to the Coots.

Strange.

Speaking of one of those......here he is. Did I say I expect

Nov 19, 2013, 10:14 AM

us to give in to the Coots? Don't believe I mentioned that at all. What I said was the same thing I've been saying all year and ever since the schedule came out and that is barring injury, the three games, and the only three games for any Tiger fan this year to get their pants sweaty about was UGA, FSU, and the Coots and no one else because talent level, we are leaps and bounds ahead of the remaining teams on the schedule. And my point just now was due to some rivalry bravado nonsense, all of the sudden all that worry warting will go out the window and it will do a complete 180 into a delusional confidence about the Coot game. In short, AThomas, THIS is an actual game to be concerned about.

This game would mean lots less if we had stubbed our toe in

Nov 19, 2013, 10:19 AM

our stadium on a Thursday night.

Yes this game will be a big one. But I really think we have a better team on the field and our D is part of the equation of winning this one. So, why should I not have any confidence? Bad game at FSU? Good game against UGA? D stats against GT? I don't know--I feel better about this one than some of the others we have played over the last 4 years.

Re: This game would mean lots less if we had stubbed our toe in

Nov 19, 2013, 10:25 AM

> our stadium on a Thursday night.
>
> Yes this game will be a big one. But I really think
> we have a better team on the field and our D is part
> of the equation of winning this one. So, why should I
> not have any confidence? Bad game at FSU? Good game
> against UGA? D stats against GT? I don't know--I feel
> better about this one than some of the others we have
> played over the last 4 years.

This is the first year GT was not as good on offense. The defense for GT was much improved but you proved the other night that they are not there yet. But this is the first time in Paul Johnson's tenure that the offense was not up to par with years past.

truth be told until we played gatech, their defense was high

Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 AM

er ranked than usuc's was/is . we kinda took'em down a few notches with 55 points and around 550 yards total offense.

You do realize....

Nov 19, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: This game would mean lots less if we had stubbed our toe in ]

that GT's defense was ranked higher than yours; that is until they played Clemson.

Let me guess....that is only because they play in the A She She even though you actually play one of the weakest if not the weakest conference schedules in the $-EZ.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do realize....

Nov 19, 2013, 12:25 PM

For your review...SC has the 25th ranked SOS and CU has a 68th ranked...

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html

LOL...Congrove Computer Rankings...lol

Nov 19, 2013, 12:57 PM

Besides, I was comparing Georgia Tech and South Carolina; not Clemson.

Re: LOL...Congrove Computer Rankings...lol

Nov 19, 2013, 6:33 PM

How about Sagarin....

SC - 21
GT - 25
CU - 45

you can put sagarin the same place you put that thumb .

Nov 20, 2013, 4:37 AM

that guy wouldn't know common sense if it hit him in the head.

Name one team on $CU schedule that is better than Clemson***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year ]

Re: Name one team on $CU schedule that is better than Clemson***

Nov 19, 2013, 11:01 AM

Crickets

Your silence is noted***

Nov 19, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Name one team on $CU schedule that is better than Clemson*** ]

Check Vegas' record in picking setting lines for Clemson

Nov 19, 2013, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year ]

this year... They have a pattern of under-estimating us.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year ]

That will go up to try and even the bets to the coot side.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year ]

you do know lines are established based on betting patterns and not football experts predicting scores, right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Facts that do not support his obvious self-serving agenda..

Nov 19, 2013, 10:54 AM

will only confuse him or be casusally dismissed or completely ignored as anti-Capon rhetoric.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is better than ANY TEAM $CU has played this year ]

The line is expected to move to -3 for South Carolina and Vegas gives 3 points to the home team in these games. That puts us almost even at kickoff.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:04 PM

That would leave you at 3 at kickoff!

Like joe says, our defense seems more better.

Nov 19, 2015, 1:30 PM

But, oline seems a bit more competent and their defense seems beatable, particularly in the middle.

Now, if we would scheme to their weaknesses and not just play our standard package and not look dumbfounded in the 3rd quarter when things are not quite going our way.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:05 AM

How did you do with Tenn and uga this year. Now what changed with the coots this year. They are not the same team as last year.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:12 AM

> How did you do with Tenn and uga this year. Now what
> changed with the coots this year. They are not the
> same team as last year.

Big difference between road SEC games and home games. But your right the Tennessee loss was unexcusable.

And what makes you guys think you have the same team?

Nov 19, 2013, 10:10 AM

Scraping by Vandy, UCF and Kentucky?? A last minute win against Mizzou and were losing against Florida until the last minute also. You guys are 4-5 plays away from being 3-7 right now. If it wasn't for your refs (which you won't have, btw) - you'd be last place in the SEC East.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team?

Nov 19, 2013, 10:18 AM

> Scraping by Vandy, UCF and Kentucky?? A last minute
> win against Mizzou and were losing against Florida
> until the last minute also. You guys are 4-5 plays
> away from being 3-7 right now. If it wasn't for your
> refs (which you won't have, btw) - you'd be last
> place in the SEC East.
>
> Good luck, you're going to need it.

Road win against UCF looks pretty good right now. Last i checked they only have 1 loss

Road win against a top 10 Mizzou, if they are not top 10 we will find out in the next 2 weeks

Vandy isnt the old Vandy

Nov 19, 2013, 10:21 AM

UCF almost lost to Temple.

Mizzou is good.

Vandy is terrible. See what Mizzou did to them?

I noticed you didn't mention Kentucky... Why not?

Nov 19, 2013, 10:28 AM

> UCF almost lost to Temple.
>
> Mizzou is good.
>
> Vandy is terrible. See what Mizzou did to them?
>
> I noticed you didn't mention Kentucky... Why not?

Kentucky is much improved from last year. But if you recall we were also down at halftime at Kentucky last year. Also Vandy is not terrible. They are going to another bowl this year and could possible have 8 wins. UCF also beat good a Louisville and a good Houston team and on the road at Penn State. We played them at home and they treated that game as their super bowl.

All that may be true but if you think Clemson is

Nov 19, 2013, 10:35 AM

UCF, Kentucky, Vandy, Houston, Louisville (way overrated, or Penn State you are mistaken.

You should be thinking more along the lines of UGA (early season), Mizzou, LSU, Texas A&M, and Ohio State. Look what they have done to some of the teams that Scar has played close. Clemson is on the level of these teams and not the ones you mention in your post.

I am not saying Clemson is much better, and I am not saying Clemson will definitely win. What I am saying is if you want to see why people may feel differently then you just need to see how you have done against your schedule and how teams that compare to Clemson have done against those same teams. You have to admit that Scar has played some teams close that had no business playing with them. Why do you think that is?

Re: All that may be true but if you think Clemson is

Nov 19, 2013, 10:14 PM

What makes you the expert that you could have beat Mizz. and UCF in their house. I don't think you would have but we shall see next Sat. By the way, all this stuff about SC losing to Kentucky, Auburn, and how they almost lost to Wofford has been kicked up for the last 4 years. And all SC did was bring their 2nd string QB and 3rd string RB to an away game with the same outcome. I say it is time for Clemson to start backing up their talk, SC has already proven their selves.

Hey ####, why do you continually bring up,

Nov 19, 2013, 10:29 PM

"2nd string QB and 3rd string RB" over and over again?

Clemson had 3 starters out in the secondary and pretty much zero depth in the defensive backfield. As a result we were the 73rd ranked passing defense in the country last year. Shaw could have toughed it out in that game, but the fact is Spurrier prepared the better passing quarterback, Dylan Thompson, for that game with a reason. He was clearly the best suited QB for that night, 2nd string or not. He gave you the better chance to win against a horribly depleted secondary, and that's why he played and had over 300 yards passing.

Kenny Miles started the game. Hardly a scrub. In spite of his recent bizarre incident of lying and faking a robbery, he was a very solid back. But he gained a whopping 2.8 yards a carry.

Nov 19, 2013, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team? ]

Kentucky is much improved? Dang they must have been really bad

Okay, so Vandy isn't Vandy...UCF hasn't really played anyone

Nov 19, 2013, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team? ]

What about Kentucky?? What's your excuse there? Florida? At home?!?

You know what they say, you can't spell excuse without usc.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team? ]

Like Duke isn't the old Duke. Some have them pared against the coots in the chicken fil a bowl. LMAO!!!

Haha -the funny thing is, they'll find out that Duke isn't

Nov 19, 2013, 10:24 AM

Duke... When Duke hangs 60 on them in the Peach Bowl, in front of the nation!

Nov 19, 2013, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team? ]

> Like Duke isn't the old Duke. Some have them pared
> against the coots in the chicken fil a bowl. LMAO!!!

And yet you never played Duke this year. But are you beating your ACC chest right now?

Tell 'em coot

Nov 19, 2013, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team? ]

At least you had the guts to admit you are a chicken.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: And what makes you guys think you have the same team? ]

Vandy is horrible. UCF plays in the freakin' American Athletic Conference. I would hope they only have one loss, they're playing Connecticut and the West Philadelphia ladies choir every week.

What everyone else said + this...

Nov 19, 2013, 10:15 AM

This is Boyd's last game. I'm betting he plays with the relentless fearlessness that he has displayed in the LSU & UGA games. I still have concerns over our O line giving him enough protection, I've got a feeling that Boyd & Watkins will refuse to let this team lose. If SCar is to win this game, they're going to have to bring their A game. And this year, I don't think that's enough.

said + this...good answer ALL IN WIN! Like Lsu and Ga.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:41 AM

Boyd is focused and leads ALL IN TEAM!

Re: What everyone else said + this...

Nov 19, 2013, 10:17 PM [ in reply to What everyone else said + this... ]

I'm sure Shaw and Clowney are aware of it being their last game at home. They have never lost at home.

90% of the Clemson fans I know are not confident...........

Nov 19, 2013, 10:16 AM

that Clemson will win. We think we can win and that it definitely should be closer. If SC played our schedule your record would be about the same dependent on whether you would have beaten UGA at home. If we play like UGA game and you play like Tenn game we win by X10, but it could go big the other way. Our defense is better than the last couple of years , though not great. I am still concerned with Boyd being pressured, and not responding well to it. I am sure he will be trying too hard, and SC still has a very good D-Line.

There are a few salient reasons...

Nov 19, 2013, 10:22 AM

As has been mentioned, Clemson's defense ... particularly at linebacker ... is a major step up from recent years. To contain SC's attack, that's a necessity, and frankly one we haven't enjoyed.

Our front seven in general is a step up, and it has been able to adapt during the game. This, as you likely recall, has been a weakness recently. no longer.

By the same token, y'alls secondary is a step back from the past. Against our stable of receivers, that's a deadly weakness.

I could add the obligatory Ben Tillman reference or the fact that the Almighty is waiting only for our Saturday salute to the military to announce the ultimate Gee-Haw'd, but those reasons alone should give Tiger fans reason to be optimistic.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2013, 10:26 AM

I have contemplated this for some time and the answer I keep coming back to is historical perspective. Clemson has held the upper hand for the life of this series and it is difficult to see the series in a different. Even given that the first 53 games were played in Columbia, the Tigers still lead the series by what most dispassionate observers would see as a wide margin. Therefore, it has become ingrained in our minds that, regardless of the situation, we have the better team and we will win. Of course there is another "truth" seldom touched on anywhere and that is: the favored team generally wins this game. The winning percentage for the favored team is somewhere north of 85%. That would also indicate that Clemson has been the favored team for the majority of the series. Consequently, the cofidence each and every year is simply a result of the series record and the fact that Clemson has been favored a majority of the time. Statistically speaking, Clemson is due a win this year based on the overall series record the facts surrounding series streaks. On the other hand Carolina opened as a 5 point favorite today. So in reality this is a toss up.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:29 AM

Let me also point out one of my pet peeves: Morris has been exceedingly stubborn the past two years in this series. He goes away from what is working on offense to either show how smart he is or prove a point. In either case, it has not been successful. He runs when throwing is working, he throws when the running game is working and he has refused to double Clowney. That's just stubborn. Let's hope winning is finally more important to him that proving how smart he is in this game. :)

18% like COOTY you, we KNOW TIGERS WIN

Nov 19, 2013, 10:39 AM

You are scared! admit it Coot!

BigCUFan

Nov 19, 2013, 10:46 AM

Can you name a team better than Carolina that Clemson beat?

Are you hanging your hat on a loss to FSU?

Uh, obviously the answer would be Georgia. A relatively

Nov 19, 2013, 10:49 AM

full strength Georgia. Other than them, absolutely not. I would say you guys would win the rest of our schedule except FSU.

UGA

Nov 19, 2013, 10:50 AM [ in reply to BigCUFan ]

It was in back to back weeks.

Re: UGA

Nov 19, 2013, 10:52 AM

> It was in back to back weeks.

Home and away is a big difference.

Whatever helps you sleep at night princess***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:56 AM

That's not what he asked

Nov 19, 2013, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: UGA ]

He asked if I could name a team better than Scar that Clemson beat. I did that. Very simple.

How about Georgia....

Nov 19, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to BigCUFan ]

or has that game conveniently slipped your mind.

Are you hanging yours on a loss to Tenn?***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:53 AM [ in reply to BigCUFan ]

COOT***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:48 AM

Nov 19, 2013, 10:48 AM

You lost to Tennessee and almost got beat by Florida. You knew they were going to line it up and run it 60 times and you still couldn't stop it. Your defense is nowhere near what it has been in recent years and our offense has hit its stride just in time. Why are you so confident after that horrible win over the Gators? I'd be a little nervous if I were a coot.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:51 AM

> You lost to Tennessee and almost got beat by Florida.
> You knew they were going to line it up and run it 60
> times and you still couldn't stop it. Your defense is
> nowhere near what it has been in recent years and our
> offense has hit its stride just in time. Why are you
> so confident after that horrible win over the Gators?
> I'd be a little nervous if I were a coot.

Florida had two long drives to open the game and we adjusted. We gave up 0 points after that and i believe held them under 100 yards in the second half.

Tough to do against a team with a peewee QB that

Nov 19, 2013, 11:00 AM

never attempted a pass more than 5 yards down the field.

Florida's last 9 plays were passes when they got desperate but prior to that they had 41 runs and 5 passes. The passes all went for 5 yards or less except for the one screen.

Really tough to stop such a great, balanced offense like that.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:51 AM

Great discussion, I agree with most of the points made on both sides. We are not as strong overall as we have been in the past and the tigers have improved, especially on defense. I see a game that will go to the 4th quarter before a play will make the difference. The talent level is close.
Cudos to Athomas and CO.. For their post on history. To interject another factor: what about coaching?

Unranked Georgia?

Nov 19, 2013, 10:52 AM

You're hanging your hat on 4 loss UGA?

You mean that other unranked team that beat you***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:58 AM

null

Re: Unranked Georgia?

Nov 19, 2013, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Unranked Georgia? ]

Their comparison is to a team that we both played. They won, we lost. There is a factor that their win was at home and was the first game of the season and ours was in Athens.

There is also the factor...

Nov 19, 2013, 11:24 AM

that Georgia had months to prepare for the game.

You're just looking for some lame-a$$ excuse to somehow rationalize or justify losing to a pretty darn good team that Clemson defeated.

Re: There is also the factor...

Nov 19, 2013, 3:11 PM

So did you - two edged sword.

Re: Unranked Georgia?

Nov 19, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Unranked Georgia? ]

TheCitadelBulldog thinks you should focus on Coastal Carolina. You would hate to have this happen to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQTqsmnr80

Because obviously they are the same team

Nov 19, 2013, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Unranked Georgia? ]

Remember you lost to that UGA team. I thought that was your "good" loss on the season.

Do you want to say you lost to 2 unranked teams?

Fair Assessment 72 Tiger

Nov 19, 2013, 11:00 AM

The Florida game was the worst game I have ever seen Shaw play. We are in trouble if he plays as poorly in two weeks.

Re: Fair Assessment 72 Tiger

Nov 19, 2013, 11:03 AM

> The Florida game was the worst game I have ever seen
> Shaw play. We are in trouble if he plays as poorly in
> two weeks.

Clemson's defense is not even close to being on Florida's level. Florida has a Bama type defense even with all of the injuries.

Re: Fair Assessment 72 Tiger

Nov 19, 2013, 11:13 AM

No, they don't have a Bama D. Maybe at the beginning of the year. Their DB's were getting beat and turned around and losing the ball. Their DL was not getting penetration, although they did force Shaw to leave the pocket. Shaw had his targets open and couldn't hit them.

If Ellington is called for the obvious pass intereference..

Nov 19, 2013, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Fair Assessment 72 Tiger ]

penalty, you probably lose that game.

Re: If Ellington is called for the obvious pass intereference..

Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 AM

> penalty, you probably lose that game.

well if your coach made adjustments and double teamed or chipped Clowney he wouldnt of had 5 sacks. I mean really? You either make the plays or you don't.

Making plays in one thing....

Nov 19, 2013, 11:28 AM

but ignoring an obvious offensive pass intereference penalty is another matter entirely. Kinda reminded me of the Vandy game last year.

That said, Florida deserved to lose the game base on horrible coaching and players not having their head in the game.

Nov 19, 2013, 1:59 PM [ in reply to If Ellington is called for the obvious pass intereference.. ]

sure agree!! I knew that when he got away with the push-off.. if it had been the other way around it would have been called properly!just more LUCK for the dirty c$$ts

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2013, 8:35 PM

I'm calling BS on this, Y'all want to talk about offensive pass interference CU really needs to look in the mirror Kinda like Rod Gardner's PI really. I guess that's CU for ya

I can't armsb

Nov 19, 2013, 11:04 AM

Because Clemson is the best team on our schedule. I'm not here to engage in delusional arguments.

So which team on $CU's schedule is better than Clemson?***

Nov 19, 2013, 11:28 AM

What team On Clemsons away schedule comes close to SC*

Nov 19, 2013, 10:28 PM

Who has Clemson played on the road that gives you any indication that you can walk into Columbia and beat them with a two year winning streak where most of the players on their team including Shaw and Clowney have never lost a game?

point for the honesty***

Nov 19, 2013, 11:39 AM [ in reply to I can't armsb ]

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

because USuC is not that good...almost lost to Fla at home

Nov 19, 2013, 11:20 AM

and they're depleted (3rd string QB) did lose to Tenn and Uga...Miracle win vs Mizzou (2nd string QB)

Nov 19, 2013, 11:33 AM

Everytime i write a check i have to use a 13 instead of a 12.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Once again, No one

Nov 19, 2013, 11:33 AM

But you don't see us arguing we will win because we played Florida State.

One again....

Nov 19, 2013, 11:38 AM

you are arguing that you will win in spite of losses to Georgia and Tennessee and playing like $#17 against Vandy, Kentucky and Florida.

Re: One again....

Nov 19, 2013, 11:49 AM

> you are arguing that you will win in spite of losses
> to Georgia and Tennessee and playing like $#17
> against Vandy, Kentucky and Florida.
>
>

So since you guys played like crap against NC state, Boston College and Maryland, what does that mean?

Nov 19, 2013, 11:56 AM

i also have not argued anything i just asked a simple question.
What makes this year different from the past 4?

What makes you think that Chad Morris will actually make adjustments and gash our apparently bad defense (according to your fans) this year?

What have you seen from Boyd this year that makes it so different than in years past where he becomes very inaccurate when he feels pressure?

How did you guys play when you played good defenses?

How do you play on the road against good teams this year?

Can your Oline block our Dline?

Nov 19, 2013, 12:03 PM

The line is out the door

We beat them pretty convincingly?***

Nov 19, 2013, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Re: One again.... ]

and in spite of not playing very well***

Nov 19, 2013, 12:59 PM

Still Waiting

Nov 19, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Once again, No one ]

I have been waiting for 20 minutes at Five Guys to order. Now I know why. This guy is in the back on a computer. Get back to seasoning the fries. A line is forming

Where have I said we will win?

Nov 19, 2013, 11:46 AM

I think Clemson takes it this year in all honesty.

Really?

Nov 19, 2013, 12:11 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what is your reasoning for this?

We did lose to two unranked teams

Nov 19, 2013, 12:08 PM

I'm not going to ignore the reality of the situation.

Re: We did lose to two unranked teams

Nov 19, 2013, 12:20 PM

Without regard to who has played whom at home or away:

Our O line is better. Not good, but better than last year.
Our D line is good. Better than last year.
Our linebackers are good. Better than last year.
Our corners and safeties are better. Not good, but better than last year.
Tajh is better. Sammy is better. And Martavis is better.

I have no idea who wins, but we are a better team than last year.

Our D is vastly improved over years past. SCar will not

Nov 19, 2013, 12:30 PM

have the success they've enjoyed the past four years consuming so much clock. They may still win the TOP battle, but it will be much closer than the 37 minutes + that we've witnessed lately. Plus, SCar's defense simply isn't as talented or deep as it's been. That's why I'm confident that the ride is over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha wow 107 responses. People here sure are sensitive.***

Nov 19, 2013, 1:36 PM

The whole team has worked hard every morning at sunrise

Nov 19, 2013, 3:01 PM

cleaning out chicken houses getting used to the stench.

Nov 19, 2013, 3:03 PM

> I am just curious on why Clemson fans feel so
> confident going into the game this year as opposed to
> the last 4? Boyd has played his worst games against
> Carolina. You have yet to play a hostile crowd on
> the road against a good team. Its not like Boyd has
> been a game changer against Carolina and especially
> being on the road it is an uphill battle for Clemson.
> But why does Boyd seem to have his worst games
> s against Carolina?
>
> 12 USC C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
> T. Boyd 11/24 183 7.6 1 2 29.6
>
> 11 USC C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
> T. Boyd 11/29 83 2.9 1 1 12.4

Just like South Carolina fans thought the next year was gonna be different say oh about 65 times!

The problem the last 4 years hasn't been skill players or...

Nov 19, 2013, 3:05 PM

coaching (unless you count recruiting linemen).

The problem has been that the chicken players were--across the board--bigger, stronger, and faster. I think the same thing is true this year.

This coot OL is the best I can ever remember them having. Remember that Beasley only weighs 230 lbs. Yes, our DL has improved. But so has the coot OL. Mike Davis is a terrific running back. Did you see how their OL got out and blocked on that inside screen play they ran time after time against Mizzou?

Did Shaw play poorly against Florida or did Florida play good defense? I think Shaw is one of the best QBs they've ever had. The guy wins and is an underrated passer. He won't miss those throws against us. Their OL will give him all day to throw and, even if our weak secondary can cover their very fast WRs, Shaw will have multiple running lanes. I am dreading the 3rd and 8 scrambles for first downs. There will be many of those and they really suck the life out of a defense.

I really hope we win, but after last year, I am going to have to see it before I even can contemplate it is possible. I see a carbon copy of last year-- we BTHO of every weak team on our schedule and coast into this game on a high. Then the coots out-athlete us and we're scratching our heads again.

Nov 19, 2013, 4:04 PM

Go back to that bdump in Columbia the worst p;lace I've ever been! What a sh22hole

Nov 19, 2013, 4:12 PM

To be owning & dominating the Gamecocks, the series record sure is pretty close over the past 70+ years (since the "germans" bombed Pearl Harbor), at 39-30-2. Just sayin

Nov 19, 2013, 8:26 PM

I smell ####. Oh I see its just some piles of chicken chit.Silly coots football is for tigers not dirtpeckers. Now run along and molest your sisters or something.

What makes you think this year is the same?***

Nov 19, 2013, 8:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

There are a lot of butthurt gamecocks on here...

Nov 19, 2013, 8:43 PM

I still can't help but laugh at how you lamecocks downplay everything Clemson, say we're an inferior team...say we play nobodies...say our coach and team's a joke...

BUT then turn around and brag about 4 years in a row, and that's the ONLY thing you have to brag about btw...

So that begs the question...what are you coots really bragging about then? You coots offer hours of endless entertainment. I almost hope you do make it to the SEC title game so I can watch another slaughtering ala Auburn style.

I'll be honest

Nov 19, 2013, 8:48 PM

I would brag about beating Clemson even if you were 0-12.

Let me ask you a ?

Nov 19, 2013, 10:24 PM

When we were beating you guys multiple years in a row how did you feel going into the games? Did you assume that it would be another beat down? I'm going to guess not. Clemson fans think we can beat you every year and why wouldn't we especially when you consider that back to back loses to your team is relatively rare.

This year our D is playing much better. Our O, while at times streaky, appears to be running on all cylinders again.

You lost to a UGA team that we beat. You lost to a bad Tennessee team. You almost lost to teams that you should have handled easily. We've handled most of the teams we should beat (although I'l admit that NC State and BC games were closer than we'd like).

Your biggest threat, Clowney, hasn't had a spectacular year meanwhile our DE is a semi-finalist for a national award. We're #8 and you're not in the top 10. Does all of that mean that Tiger Nation assumes that we'll skate out of doo doo ice with a W? No, but it does give us confidence.

Nov 19, 2013, 10:35 PM

This year is definitely different than the previous years. Your defense is better than it has been in the past. However our offense is better than it has been in the past too.

I felt a lot more confident when I knew you guys did not have a very good defense. I do not feel that way this year.

Will come down to a who makes a couple of plays here and there.

I believe this will be a very close game that could go either way.

Fair points...

Nov 19, 2013, 11:40 PM

Our defensive line is looking much more stout, but from what I understand, Carolina has a pretty solid Oline. So that'll be a match that Venables will have to figure out a way to win the majority of the time. It doesn't help that Shaw is an extremely elusive QB. Our safety play will have to be near perfect when you got a QB that can beat through the air or with his feet.

And yes, Carolina's offense looks more explosive than in years past. They have a good bit of speed in Byrd and Ellington. Combine that with the fact our DBs have not been quite up to par, it could make for a long day. But I'm hoping, if our guys can stick with them, the size difference will maybe make an impact

What I'm also counting on is Venables being able to scheme and bring a lot of disquised blitzes. That's one thing I love about Venables vs. KS. The LBs and safeties are constantly shifting and trying to disguise the coverage.

Also happy to see Battle back in and see the light come on. He might be the most athletic lineman we have so we can definitely use his abilities.

Should be a good game...I don't see a blow out going either way.

Defense is what lost the game last few years

Nov 20, 2013, 1:04 AM

Defense is much better this year. Still not elite, but I think good enough to slow you down.

I also think the offense is hitting its stride at the right time. I think if we're both being reasonable, we know that it will come down to two things:

1) Whether our much improved, much deeper DL can cause issues with your OL.
2) Whether your DL can get in Tajh's head with any consistency.

If you can't do #2, I think you probably lose. We can fail at #1 and still rely on our offense to bail us out to some extent. I think there's a real conditioning problem with your defense. They've looked gassed in the first half the last few games.

Clemson wins on final drive

Nov 20, 2013, 2:15 AM

30-27

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 20, 2013, 2:26 AM

The game will be over by halftime. Clemson 48 - SC 17

Replies: 148
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic