Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is wrong with our b-ball team?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

What is wrong with our b-ball team?

Jan 22, 2019, 10:04 PM

I’m no expert, but I’m really disappointed in the team to this point in the season. Been to almost every home game, just seems like the team isn’t cohesive or something. Some of the worst defense behind the arc in the Brownell era. Anyone have insights?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is wrong with our b-ball team?

Jan 22, 2019, 10:07 PM

We have weak shooters. Our 3 pt D stinks as well. PG play has been worse this year too.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:09 PM

We don't have enough talent and the coaching is pretty bad. Other than that, everything's great.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: What is wrong with our b-ball team? ]

Agree. We also fall apart in crunch time. No eye of the tiger.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:21 PM

For starters, Skara is our best 3-point shooter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 22, 2019, 10:29 PM

More than that. We seemingly can’t shoot, can’t score consistently, can’t rebound well, definitely can’t defend the three, and give up too many easy baskets. Other than that we are really close to figuring this thing out.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:35 PM

To answer it's simple. No one answer. Starts with recruiting. Clemson had a deeper bench last year And they don't have any help coming off the bench points wise. Our starters are having to play longer and to make matters worse Mitchell is having a terrible shooting year. He looks like he gained weight and got slower. That added weight is affecting his shot. The only time he shoots is when he's flat footed. Not a true jumper. Skara has stepped up his game and Thomas too, but our guards are literally killing us. The lack of consistency is just terrible. Simms the same way. He will come in and make 3 straight 3s and then you won't hear from him a whole half.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:13 PM

You hit most of the points. We also do not move the ball well in most possessions in the front court.
Guys are not moving to get the ball when opponents try to trap. Had at least 2 shot clock violations tonight when we couldn't find an open shooter. Brad needs to give the 3 frosh & Trapp more PT to develop them. This season may be gone. Guard play has generally been weak and underperforming all season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 11:16 PM

I agree completely! We should be changing things up bc status quo isn't working. Let the freshman come in and run a full court press. Throw some energy on the court like purnell did. We did that back then to get easy shots bc we couldn't shoot haha

Yes, let's do what Purnell did.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:31 PM

Do you know how many NCAA Tournament wins that got us? Zero.

Meanwhile, Brad's "boring" approach got us three NCAA Tournament wins. I'll take Brad's method any day of the week.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: Yes, let's do what Purnell did.

Jan 23, 2019, 8:27 AM

The tournament wins would have come under Purnell.

0-6 in NCAA Tournament games is a bad trend.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:22 PM

What about that makes you think that "the tournament wins would've come?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didnt answer the question Brad Keller?

Jan 23, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Yes, let's do what Purnell did. ]

What is wrong with our team, photo of young Brad?

I answered it below:

Jan 23, 2019, 2:23 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Several-things-but-the-biggest-problem-is-our-backcourt-24960943

So going to the tournament once every 8 years is okay with

Jan 23, 2019, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Yes, let's do what Purnell did. ]

you?

No, it isn't okay at all.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:24 PM

But neither is failing to support a program and a coach for the first 6 years of his tenure. Brad finally has good facilities and reasonable assistant coach salaries. Recruiting has improved. I don't think it is unreasonable to see how we do the rest of this season and next season. If we don't make the NCAA Tournament this year, and certainly if we don't next year either, then I think it will clearly be time to go in another direction.

Re: So going to the tournament once every 8 years is okay with

Jan 23, 2019, 9:10 PM [ in reply to So going to the tournament once every 8 years is okay with ]

Was Gabe really the glue that held team together? They seem lost on the court at times with no true leader.

Fla st stuck to Trapp,2nd 1/2 BB couldn't come up with

Jan 23, 2019, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: What is wrong with our b-ball team? ]

another plan

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 10:47 PM

Given Mitchell's disappointing production, just have one guy who can create shots at this stage. The forwards either score with assisted layups or shoot 3s. Can't create by driving to open spots to put up midrange shots which should have a better probability of going in, assuming the shooters are good enough to make them. Consequently, the offense isn't versatile or consistent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

We have a mediocre coach

Jan 22, 2019, 10:48 PM

The Tommy Bowden of Basketball

Re: We have a mediocre coach

Jan 23, 2019, 8:22 AM

Tommy Bowden was at a school that won a National Championship and had unmatched world class fan support.

Methinks you meant Tommy West

Jan 23, 2019, 8:33 AM

I would take a Tommy Bowden effort in BBall this year.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:05 PM

What do you mean......you think we have a problem.......cause this has been going on for quite some time.......Roll Tigers!!!!!!

Jan 23, 2019, 10:27 AM

What is this "Roll Tigers" crap?

Several things, but the biggest problem is our backcourt.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:12 PM

Mitchell and Reed were supposed to be a strength, but both have been inconsistent - especially Mitchell. Tonight, Reed and Mitchell combined to shoot just 7-23, including 1-5 on three pointers. They also had a combined 6 assists and 7 turnovers. That isn't going to get it done on the road in the ACC.

Another problem is that we don't have a lot of depth. Our starting five is solid, but we don't have much in the way of reserves we can bring off the bench for a spark. Trapp has shown flashes, and has certainly improved, but is still inconsistent. Newman plays hard and can provide some defense, but not much in the way of offense. Tyson hasn't really shown much thus far.

Because of our depth issues, we can't seem to sustain a high level of play for the whole game. This includes our defense.

There is plenty of season left, but we really needed to win tonight. Definitely an uphill battle at this point.

Re: Several things, but the biggest problem is our backcourt.

Jan 23, 2019, 10:44 AM

I could see Tyson developing into a solid player in a year or two.

Act like they don't care***

Jan 22, 2019, 11:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like our fans!***

Jan 23, 2019, 2:25 PM

Jan 22, 2019, 11:39 PM

It’s not any different than any other sport, you must recruit great players. Our current players are just not as good as who we are playing. We are really missing Bobby Buckets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 8:11 AM

We play in the ACC!

Our D1 Rank in 3-pt defense is 307 of 350

Jan 23, 2019, 8:18 AM

307 Clemson 17 366 135 36.9

I'd start there. If nothing else I'd like to watch us play a game without the other team hitting 8-10 wide open threes per game. FSU shot 25% from behind the arc coming into the game. They hit 45% last night.

Re: Our D1 Rank in 3-pt defense is 307 of 350

Jan 23, 2019, 8:35 AM

This plus 31% 3-point shooting for our guys. I bet an adjusted 3-point % against non-scrub teams would make that a lot worse.

We just do not have a 1-2 scoring punch to lean on plus bad perimeter D. Reed isn't really healthy (fades late in games) so limiting him limits the whole team and then we just give up points while not producing.

Jan 23, 2019, 10:30 AM

Last year we leaned heavily on 3 point shooting and we made them at an above average rate on games we won. This year I’m guessing it’s way below last years shooting percentage. I don’t have fact just guessing

Jan 23, 2019, 10:34 AM

The word "clumsy" has popped into my mind watching us play this year. The players just seem to get out of control a lot of times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Jan 23, 2019, 8:51 PM

I'll agree with all that have said the BB Team does not have the depth and Mitchell has been off but I think the biggest problem is lack of Team Leadership. There doesn't appear to be any player that wants to get in the others face and be "the guy". I know Reed and Thomas are having decent seasons but I just don't see that "it" from them. Last year you just felt it with Davoe and Grantham. Even after Grantham was hurt he was setting the example and coaching from the bench. This years team is "hungry" for someone to be that leader and hopefully that someone will step up quickly!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a mediocre coach....

Jan 23, 2019, 10:52 AM

a group of player who can't shoot the ball consistently, and who commit way too many unforced errors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Brownell isn't a good recruiter or a good coach.***

Jan 23, 2019, 11:42 AM

If only he could be as amazing as your boy Purnell.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:28 PM

0-6 in NCAA Tournament games as a head coach, despite being the higher seed in 4 of those games.

Remind me, where is he coaching now?

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic